Barclay being resigned

H

HardRightEdge

I'm certainly not expecting any big jump from Bhak. The one thing he has going for himself it *where* he needs to improve. He just needs to be a bit bigger and stronger. Thankfully, that can just mean a little time in the weight room.
Without chemical enhancement, genetics determine maximum good weight. Saying and doing are two different things.

He reduced his penalties somewhat last season. So that's a point in his favor in year 3.

D

Deleted member 6794

I fully expect Rotheram to take the next step and become a solid backup on the OL this season. I view Barclay as the insurance policy against that, or a hedge against a Jordy Nelson type season-ending injury during camp on the OL.

It seems like Thompson expects Rotheram to take the next step as well. Otherwise he wouldn't have increased his practice squad salary to the active roster minimum late last season

That's what average NFL LTs get paid. It's also a reason why I expect the Packers to draft an LT prospect who can take his spot, or could move to OG if Bakhtiari can be signed and one (both?) of the OGs cannot. Expect Bakhtiari to test free agency.

I expect the Packers to draft a possible starter at left tackle as well but for sure don't see Bakhtiari moving to guard.

I seen Sitton fail at LT last year. Bulaga stunk over there too... They are our best Olinemen...

Bulaga tore his ACL during family night in 2013 when the Packers had moved him to left tackle. He never played a down at the position.

If he gets stronger, and maybe that ankle was a bigger setback than i thought last year, I think he can play into and earn his 10 million a year. But he has a lot to show me this year. I realize he's played decent enough, and other marginal tackles are making 8 million per year, but if his level of play stays where it is at, i'd rather move on.

I'm surprised how many of you are ready to move on from Bakhtiari, especially after seeing the offensive line struggling mightily to protect Rodgers when he missed three games. He has to improve his run blocking but the most important assignment for him is to pass block.

It is my opinion that the vast majority of NFL players are fully formed by the conclusion of their 3rd. season. And if they get regular playing time and are uninjured, it's 2 seasons.

It is often an illusion when they appear to progress past that point. Sometimes their contribution was overlooked previously, particularly among linemen. Sometimes they are playing along side better players, making them look better. Sometimes they move on to another team with a better scheme fit.

I would judge Bakhtiari based on what he is, not on some projected improvement.

Mostly agree but Bakhtiari is an above aberage pass blocker and while he struggled blocking for the run last season Lacy being completely out of shape didn't help the offensive line either. Hopefully he can improve in that department with improved RB play.

He reduced his penalties somewhat last season. So that's a point in his favor in year 3.

Bakhtiari had 11 penalties last season compared to eight in 2014.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm surprised how many of you are ready to move on from Bakhtiari, especially after seeing the offensive line struggling mightily to protect Rodgers when he missed three games. He has to improve his run blocking but the most important assignment for him is to pass block.
Personally I view it as a cap issue more than a performance issue. He's not an excuse for losing.

Bakhtiari had 11 penalties last season compared to eight in 2014.

I was focusing on the 10+ yard penalties, the drive killers. I also count declined and offsetting penalties.

2013: 11
2014: 7
2015: 6

D

Deleted member 6794

Personally I view it as a cap issue more than a performance issue. He's not an excuse for losing.

I understand your reasoning behind it but I´d rather pay Bakhtiari and let one of the guards walk away in free agency than have a cheap rookie or second year player protecting Rodgers blindside.

I was focusing on the 10+ yard penalties, the drive killers. I also count declined and offsetting penalties.

2013: 11
2014: 7
2015: 6

Ok, got it.

H

HardRightEdge

I understand your reasoning behind it but I´d rather pay Bakhtiari and let one of the guards walk away in free agency than have a cheap rookie or second year player protecting Rodgers blindside.
I agree with that except I see Bakhtiari and one of the guards being potentially unaffordable.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with that except I see Bakhtiari and one of the guards being potentially unaffordable.

That´s a possibility although I´m optimistic the Packers will be able to re-sign two of three starters on the offensive line next offseason.

H

HardRightEdge

That´s a possibility although I´m optimistic the Packers will be able to re-sign two of three starters on the offensive line next offseason.
That's possible. It's kind of a d*mned if you can and d*mned if you can't.

There's only one OLB worth playing in 2017 currently under contract. Wouldn't we like to see Perry or Jones have a breakout year and secure a hefty long term contract as the Peppers heir? Their joint failure to do so frees up cap for one of the O-Linemen. We could make the same point with respect to Lacy and Cook if they have the big years we'd like them to have. Or if the ageless one, Peppers, show no decline and the other guys do not break out, he might need to be brought back on a one year deal that could be another dent in the cap pool.

So much depends on what happens in 2016 in terms of individual player performance and injuries to assert anything firmly.

From an immediate need perspective, the consensus is ILB and D-Line. From a two year perspective, one can't help but note OL is vulnerable from a cap perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I hope we do as a fan of now, but as a fan of down the road I don't know what the repercussions could be for doing that. Now granted who knows what this draft lays down for us....we find another solid OL candidate and makes watching Lang/Sitton both leave much more palatable.

However, as I've said it is much easier in my opinion to keep your outside (tackles) and coach of the OL (center) and replace the betweens (guards) than it is to restart at LT in my opinion. I foresee Tretter being given his chance at a G spot and if we can find another this year in the draft, lot of saved cash moving forward by only resigning Bakh; whom I think we try to lock up sooner rather than later, because if he has a good season at LT he very well may be too expensive to justify at year's end.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's possible. It's kind of a d*mned if you can and d*mned if you can't.

There's only one OLB worth playing in 2017 currently under contract. Wouldn't we like to see Perry or Jones have a breakout year and secure a hefty long term contract and the Peppers heir? Their joint failure to do so frees up cap for one of the O-Linemen. We could make the same point with respect to Lacy and Cook if they have the big years we'd like them to have. Or if the ageless one, Peppers show no decline and the other guys do not break out, he might need to be brought back on a one year deal that could be another dent in the cap pool.

So much depends on what happens in 2016 in terms of individual player performance and injuries to assert anything firmly.

From an immediate need perspective, the consensus is ILB and D-Line. From a two year perspective, one can't help but note OL is vulnerable from a cap perspective.

As we´ve already discussed numerous times the Packers will have several tough decision to make before and during next year´s offseason. There´s no denying the offensive line and outside linebackers have to be addressed in one way or another at that point.

D

Deleted member 6794

However, as I've said it is much easier in my opinion to keep your outside (tackles) and coach of the OL (center) and replace the betweens (guards) than it is to restart at LT in my opinion. I foresee Tretter being given his chance at a G spot and if we can find another this year in the draft, lot of saved cash moving forward by only resigning Bakh; whom I think we try to lock up sooner rather than later, because if he has a good season at LT he very well may be too expensive to justify at year's end.

I agree that it´s easier to replace one or both of the guards than to start over at left tackle. It will be interesting to see how Taylor and Rotheram perform if they get the opportunity to play some meaningful snaps.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that it´s easier to replace one or both of the guards than to start over at left tackle. It will be interesting to see how Taylor and Rotheram perform if they get the opportunity to play some meaningful snaps.

If the answer lies in one of them I will bet Taylor...but I'm fine if Rotheram proves me wrong haha!

D

Deleted member 6794

Anyone know the contract details on either Barclay or Lerentee McCray? Haven't seen anything.

McCray received a one-year, $800,000 contract. The deal includes a base salary of $675,000, a $50,000 signing bonus as well as a $75,000 workout bonus. Barclay also signed a one-year deal worth $700,000 with a base salary of $675,000 and a workout bonus of $25,000.

In addition the Packers worked split-salary language into Barclay's contract, meaning he'll earn a prorated portion of $403,000 if placed on injured reserve at any point during the season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCray received a one-year, $800,000 contract. The deal includes a base salary of $675,000, a $50,000 signing bonus as well as a $75,000 workout bonus. Barclay also signed a one-year deal worth $700,000 with a base salary of $675,000 and a workout bonus of $25,000.

In addition the Packers worked split-salary language into Barclay's contract, meaning he'll earn a prorated portion of $403,000 if placed on injured reserve at any point during the season.

That is a solid split-salary language worked into the Barclay contract...and that amount is acceptable to me for Barclay's service...he's not gonna be here next year and this is just an insurance policy cheap contract. LOVE the McCray deal and hope he shines...but if not again piddly money really.

D

Deleted member 6794

That is a solid split-salary language worked into the Barclay contract...and that amount is acceptable to me for Barclay's service...he's not gonna be here next year and this is just an insurance policy cheap contract. LOVE the McCray deal and hope he shines...but if not again piddly money really.

I think Thompson did a solid job on both contracts. Even if none of them makes the Packers final roster it will only result in $150K of dead money.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...I foresee Tretter being given his chance at a G spot and if we can find another this year in the draft, lot of saved cash moving forward by only resigning Bakh; ...
Only problem with this plan is that IF Tretter is tabbed to man one of the starting OG spots he won't be cheap ~ 2017 he's an UFA and will cost, maybe not quite as much as Sitton or Lang but starter OG $$.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only problem with this plan is that IF Tretter is tabbed to man one of the starting OG spots he won't be cheap ~ 2017 he's an UFA and will cost, maybe not quite as much as Sitton or Lang but starter OG $$.

Lot between now and then, but I do even if Tretter is tabbed a replacement he'll come cheaper for sure, as you admitted. Some contracts like Peppers and others will possibly be gone by then too....time will tell, a lot could be saved if Taylor or Rotheram can be one answer and we draft the other.....then Tretter will have to "take less to stay" or move on.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to see one of the guards traded during the draft. That would tell me the staff is comfortable with Taylor or Tretter starting this year. I don't want to see both having to be replaced in 2017.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see one of the guards traded during the draft. That would tell me the staff is comfortable with Taylor or Tretter starting this year. I don't want to see both having to be replaced in 2017.

The dilemma with that is, what is their value? Do you get more value out of having them for your 2016 run, than what you get in return for them?

Not sure what interest you would garner if you demand a 2nd round pick....3rd round pick....4th round pick.....

....the biggest issue is the team getting them knows it is a one year one shot deal. Not many teams would want to burn a draft pick for a one year shot....but there is the potential for that shot.

Me personally, I don't think we get interest if we said we'd consider this outside of some 6th or 7th round offers....perhaps a 5th. To me at that point it is better to keep and know going forward we need to solve them.

D

Deleted member 6794

While Tretter is a decent backup at every position on the offensive line he´s at his best playing center. With Linsley pencilled in as the starter with the Packers I expect him to sign with a team needing an upgrade at the position next offseason.

With Sitton and Lang being one of the best guard tandems in the league there´s no reason to trade one of them. The front office has to plan for the possibility of both of them leaving next offseason though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the staff thinks that either Tretter or Taylor is going to be a fixture on the O-Line for the next four or five years. Purely a guess though.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm guessing that the staff thinks that either Tretter or Taylor is going to be a fixture on the O-Line for the next four or five years. Purely a guess though.

If that´s true for Taylor why did the Packers sign him to only a two-year contract this offseason???

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cannot see trading a guard this year. This team is going for a super bowl and keeping Rodgers upright is one of the keys to that. Sure they could trade them for a draft pick but they will get a very good comp pick for either guy they let walk. Sure the pick is delayed a year but keeping them allows the team to be much better this year. Also trading one of lang or Sitton would hurt the depth of the Oline and we saw how important that was last year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Despite knowing Lang/Sitton future is at best case done as a combo moving forward....they still hold more value in our 2016 run than a draft pick we would get in return for a one year "rent a player" unless some team got STUPID and offered a 1st

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a scenario I HIGHLY doubt would occur...but what if Ragland or Jack are available after say the 12th or so pick and some team calls us up and says "Your 1st plus Lang/Sitton" for our "1st and say a 4th"......what do you say?

D

Deleted member 6794

Here's a scenario I HIGHLY doubt would occur...but what if Ragland or Jack are available after say the 12th or so pick and some team calls us up and says "Your 1st plus Lang/Sitton" for our "1st and say a 4th"......what do you say?

I would agree to a trade like that for Jack in a heartbeat. I´m kind of indecisive about making a move like that for Ragland though.

Members online

Latest posts