Barclay being resigned

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what average NFL LTs get paid. It's also a reason why I expect the Packers to draft an LT prospect who can take his spot, or could move to OG if Bakhtiari can be signed and one (both?) of the OGs cannot. Expect Bakhtiari to test free agency.

The possibility, depending on who we snag and who leaves, would be to put the rookie at RT and slide Bulaga in to Guard.

Is that optimal? Not really, but if this future rookie is a rookie and being paid like it, we're a-okay fine.

H

HardRightEdge

The possibility, depending on who we snag and who leaves, would be to put the rookie at RT and slide Bulaga in to Guard.

Is that optimal? Not really, but if this future rookie is a rookie and being paid like it, we're a-okay fine.
It depends on who the rookie is, I suppose, but I highly doubt Bulaga is moving.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I seen Sitton fail at LT last year. Bulaga stunk over there too... They are our best Olinemen... Then Tretter did semi-OK at LT, but was an emergency option there AT BEST!!!

So when TT started building the line he filled the guard spots the first two years with 4th round picks... easy cheesy. Then when he decided to fill the center position he got Tretter, who unfortunately got injured the first year. But then we pick Lindsley and now in 2 years we are basicly STACKED at the position...
Now lets talk about tackle... Bulaga was a top tier OT who fell to us at 16 or what ever it was. Sherrod was a blue chip prospect who was 1st round on every mock too. Fell to us in the early 20s. Now, of all the prospects we have had, Sherrod, and Bahk looked the best at LT. to me. I heard the grades Sherrod got from some of you all. But what I seen was a rookie who got blown up a few times, when he first came in. And was really settling in when he got hurt. I accept that I might be wrong on that. But that's what I seen at the time. RT? Bulaga has done well. Barclay pre-acl did ok in relief. I suspect Sitton could play over there. Or Lang... It seems the RT spot could be filled fairly easily... But not that easily...

LT though. Cant be too big. Cant be too small. Got to have the hands, and the feet, and the balance, and and and. There isn't much messing around over there... So even though Im fairly critical of Bahk. I also respect what he has done. Like Clifton. He will take a hand full of years too get good. And the last hand full of a long career, he will grow into a pro-bowler...

Im curious what he will actually get now...

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It depends on who the rookie is, I suppose, but I highly doubt Bulaga is moving.

Yeah, it's not likely, more of AN option or looking to 2017. Should our swing tackle rookie be a fine player at RT, we COULD move Bulaga over to guard in 2017 when we don't have Lang or Sitton. Hell, depending on how good the rookie is/the development of the other guys, they might roll without Land AND Sitton.

This isn't likely by any stretch, just possible.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've pretty much made my opinion of BahkT before, but what the heck, I like to repeat myself :) If he gets stronger, and maybe that ankle was a bigger setback than i thought last year, I think he can play into and earn his 10 million a year. But he has a lot to show me this year. I realize he's played decent enough, and other marginal tackles are making 8 million per year, but if his level of play stays where it is at, i'd rather move on. Adjust line protections that way and roll with someone a lot cheaper and try and find that replacement rather than invest big dollars into a guy that isn't producing at that. Short and sweet, I'd rather see him get stronger and earn pay him 10 million than pay him 8 for his current level of play because, well that's what mediocre left tackles get in this league.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what average NFL LTs get paid. It's also a reason why I expect the Packers to draft an LT prospect who can take his spot, or could move to OG if Bakhtiari can be signed and one (both?) of the OGs cannot. Expect Bakhtiari to test free agency.

I think Bakh has greater long term value to us than both Lang/Sitton. I also expect at minimum 2 draft picks used on OL, just for the simple fact it won't make sense to keep both aging Lang and Sitton, and Bakh is out there holding his own (still young and still needs improvement but aren't many younger better than him) up for contract as well.

H

HardRightEdge

I think Bakh has greater long term value to us than both Lang/Sitton. I also expect at minimum 2 draft picks used on OL, just for the simple fact it won't make sense to keep both aging Lang and Sitton, and Bakh is out there holding his own (still young and still needs improvement but aren't many younger better than him) up for contract as well.
It is my opinion that the vast majority of NFL players are fully formed by the conclusion of their 3rd. season. And if they get regular playing time and are uninjured, it's 2 seasons.

It is often an illusion when they appear to progress past that point. Sometimes their contribution was overlooked previously, particularly among linemen. Sometimes they are playing along side better players, making them look better. Sometimes they move on to another team with a better scheme fit.

I would judge Bakhtiari based on what he is, not on some projected improvement.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is my opinion that the vast majority of NFL players are fully formed by the conclusion of their 3rd. season. And if they get regular playing time and are uninjured, it's 2 seasons.

It is often an illusion when they appear to progress past that point. Sometimes their contribution was overlooked previously, particularly among linemen. Sometimes they are playing along side better players, making them look better. Sometimes they move on to another team with a better scheme fit.

I can agree with this mostly...and in my opinion Bakh is still much better than many out there, not the best, but definitely not the worst.

Best case we find a position battler in the draft to come in and push him, maybe over take him, but Bakh to me is still a valuable cog I'd hate to see leave due to his youth and ability than I sadly hate to admit Lang or Sitton. Both are leaning down ability wise simply due to age and nagging injuries. Signing both would set us up for far too many future questions....I think you only can entertain the thought of signing one or the other.

As for Barclay, last year was miserable....I wanna see if that is here for good this year, or did his injury affect him more than we all thought.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't see it that way. Of course there are guys who are great from day 1. But the trenches are run by fully grown men. If a dude is a certain stature at 24 years old, he is 6 years more developed by 30. I believe that's where the human body peaks. late 20s early 30s. The decline starts when the body wears down.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree completely that Bahk should be paid for what he is, and has done. Not for what we hope he will be a few years from now.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
IMO Bahk's market value will be determined mainly by what he does in 2016. If he continues to progress on his pass blocking, improves on his run blocking and stays healthy, he will command a decent size contract. I can see TT trying to lock him into a contract early, if all is going well.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't see it that way. Of course there are guys who are great from day 1. But the trenches are run by fully grown men. If a dude is a certain stature at 24 years old, he is 6 years more developed by 30. I believe that's where the human body peaks. late 20s early 30s. The decline starts when the body wears down.
I would grant that a junior coming in at 20 years old and changing positions in the NFL might be granted another year. That's as far as I'd go.

Late 20's to early 30's? This is not golf. Most guys are on short term contracts or out of the league by around age 30.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

By the time an lineman is 30 I'm already thinking for his replacement 9 times out of 10....because they trenches are run by fully grown men tearing the other one's bodies apart and down the entire season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO Bahk's market value will be determined mainly by what he does in 2016. If he continues to progress on his pass blocking, improves on his run blocking and stays healthy, he will command a decent size contract. I can see TT trying to lock him into a contract early, if all is going well.

I foresee this as well...and that is EVEN with the thought TT may be looking for his replacement....Bakh or Bulaga could always possibly slide in if we found a true bonafide Tackle in the draft for the future...resigning/extending Bakh now would make a whole lot more sense in the future than probably overspending on Lang or Sitton or both...and their bodies giving out before Bakh's would.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Late 20's to early 30's? This is not golf. Most guys are on short term contracts or out of the league by around age 30.[/QUOTE]
I mean a perfect specimen. A all pro Tackle takes a half dozen years to make in most instances. The top tier , blue chip prospects will always be good from day 1. But them dominating all-pro trench guys take time IMO.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the time an lineman is 30 I'm already thinking for his replacement 9 times out of 10....because they trenches are run by fully grown men tearing the other one's bodies apart and down the entire season.
Last years all pros on the line.

Joe Thomas 31, Andrew witworth 34
Decastro 26 , Yanda 31
Kalil 31

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Decastro 26 , Yanda 31
Kalil 31

I never argued guys past 30 can't be All Pro....if we had these guys I'd be thankful, but like I said, I'm already looking towards the future.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Imo, body and mind come together to allow people to hit their peak at age 27 generally in regards to professional sports. Lots of variables indeed play their part in outliers to the sample.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No way in heck do you give him that much per year. Heck no . I'd rather TT take a guy to replace him sooner than later then.

H

HardRightEdge

No way in heck do you give him that much per year. Heck no . I'd rather TT take a guy to replace him sooner than later then.
That's what you can expect him to make in his second contract. I'm not crazy about it either, but that's where the league is at. I'm looking for an OT pick as high as the second round.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Anyone know the contract details on either Barclay or Lerentee McCray? Haven't seen anything.

H

HardRightEdge

Decastro 26 , Yanda 31
Kalil 31
The original question was development up to the age of 30.

Thomas made his first Pro Bowl as a rookie.

Yanda made his first Pro Bowl in his 5th. year. The prior two years he split time at OT and OG. He would not be a Pro Bowl OT.

Kalil made his first Pro Bowl in his 3rd. year.

Whitworth is the possible exception that proves the general rule. He spent all or part of his first 3 seasons as an OG. He made his first Pro Bowl in his 4th. year at OT in 2012, entering that season at age 30.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm certainly not expecting any big jump from Bhak. The one thing he has going for himself it *where* he needs to improve. He just needs to be a bit bigger and stronger. Thankfully, that can just mean a little time in the weight room.

As long as there isn't anything serious or long term with his legs, I'd expect a small, incremental improvement from 2014. And that's probably more than enough.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts