Barclay being resigned

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

After his disastrous performance in 2015 I'm surprised the Packers decided to bring him back. I'm OK with letting him compete for a roster spot though as long as he didn't get any guaranteed money to sign the deal.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see how he's any better than an UFA or a low round draft pick. If he makes the team it would be an indication of miserably depth in the O line.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think ACL blowouts generally require 18 months before a player really gets back physically and mentally to their former groove. It could be that Tretter has now become the pre-injury Barclay. Or... I still think there is a possibility that Tretter is one of our starting guards this year. I'm expecting at least one OT to be picked in the draft, it will be difficult for Barclay to make the final 53 barring injury to starters.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
back up at guard possibility? I'm ok with giving him a chance at this point in the season, and if he earns it he, he earns it. If he earns by his level of play last year? Our depth sucks, at least it's cheap I guess. I hope this is more insurance at this point in the season, in case some prospects aren't available in the draft they're hoping for. I was never high on him before he was hurt and last year was abysmal.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't see how he's any better than an UFA or a low round draft pick. If he makes the team it would be an indication of miserably depth in the O line.

Barclay was a decent backup before blowing out his knee prior to the 2014 season. I'm fine with giving him a chance to compete for a roster spot.

I think ACL blowouts generally require 18 months before a player really gets back physically and mentally to their former groove.

I hope you're wrong about that. Otherwise, if it takes Nelson 18 months to fully recover as well the Packers receiving corps could struggle again in 2016.

It could be that Tretter has now become the pre-injury Barclay. Or... I still think there is a possibility that Tretter is one of our starting guards this year. I'm expecting at least one OT to be picked in the draft, it will be difficult for Barclay to make the final 53 barring injury to starters.

I don't see Tretter leapfrogging either Sitton or Lang on the depth chart to earn a starting position this season. He's a decent backup to have at multiple positions on the offensive line though. I agree about drafting a tackle and Barclay having a hard time making the roster.

H

HardRightEdge

I think ACL blowouts generally require 18 months before a player really gets back physically and mentally to their former groove.
It depends on the severity of the injury and the person. AP had ACL/MCL tears in December 2011 then had his MVP year the following season. Some guys get back close to 100% in that 18 month area, give or take, as you say. Some guys play again but are never quite the same. Some guys never play again.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it's a low number, it makes sense to bring him back as a back up. He's a known quantity, they've invested a lot of time in his development, and they obviously have the inside track on medical info to believe he's worth keeping around. I don't expect much from him, but with all that in mind it's better than starting over.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taylor, barclay, walker........ Good greif, this had better not be the plan. Ugh. Season in the ballance before it starts...

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It depends on the severity of the injury and the person. AP had ACL/MCL tears in December 2011 then had his MVP year the following season. Some guys get back close to 100% in that 18 month area, give or take, as you say. Some guys play again but are never quite the same. Some guys never play again.

With modern medicine it's really a case by case situation. Not everyone can be AP and come back so quick but in the same token some never come back the same. Take a look in our own backyard and look how well Jabari Parker moved for the Bucks after tearing his ACL while a little further south Derrick Rose is a shadow of his former self. Different sports yes but still it highlights the case by case situation.

Still though 18 months is a pretty good barometer on whether a guy will ever make it all the way back from and ACL tear

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taylor, barclay, walker........ Good greif, this had better not be the plan. Ugh. Season in the ballance before it starts...

What is the likely alternative?

Baring a trade or injury, we have our starting 5 assured. Trettor is presumably the 6th as he is capable at both center and tackle. Barclay and Walker would presumably hold down guard. 8 linemen on the 53 is typical for our team. Sometimes 9.

I want a better LT backup or backup swing tackle, but with finite resources, that might end up being the group. I want more, to be sure. Also a pony. :)

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How is the season in the balance? Those guys aren't starters, they are backups and special teamers.

You can't have elite backups at every single position you know.

Stop overreacting.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Don't forget about Lane Taylor. After the contract the Packer just signed him to, I would expect to see him getting some playing time, so that he is ready to start at one of the Guard positions in 2017,

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I just expect bulaga to get hurt. Im waiting for sittons back to buckle. Bahks best thing is that " he did pretty good, for a rookie". Well after 3 years, im not seeing a corner stone. I see a liability that needs help against most rushers..... On a good note, i love the center play and depth. Except our back up center is our top backup tackle too... Puke!!####

One injury and we are basicly on our heals from there out. Imo

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One injury and we are basicly on our heals from there out. Imo

Eh, that's most positions on most teams. Just like there are 32 starting-caliber NFL quarterbacks at any given time, there aren't 32 starting caliber LTs at any given time. I'd estimate there's about 16-25 of each.

The bottom 7-16 just have to do the best they can with what they've got and do their best to work around it.

And similarly, Bhak isn't terrible, I think your assessment is excessively pessimistic. He's somewhere around the 13-15th best LT right now. He moves well, so speed rushers tend not to win, though he doesn't have optimal strength. He can be bullrushed more than you'd like. If last year was just a blip due to injury, he's fine. If he gains just a little bit of strength, he'll probably be able to anchor well enough.

In the run game, he doesn't get good movement at the point of attack, but again the movement, he's great at the second level and when he's backside.

He does get too many flags. False starts are fairly typical at LT, due to facing the premier and/or faster edge rusher--LTs tend to get jittery. He still had too many, imho.

Holding, eh, I'd guess about 1/2 of them aren't his fault, but he gets the flag. What begins as a legitimate pass block (where you punch and grab the chest plate of the man you're blocking, interestingly this isn't holding) can turn into hold once the quarterback starts scrambling.

Basically, hands and arms within the frame = not holding. Hands outside = holding. Your QB scrambles, the DE changes his path, boom, holding. If the LT had eyes in the back of his head, it probably wouldn't be: He would either change his positioning or at least know that he has to let go and the QB is responsible for not getting killed on his own.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every team has depth issues at certain positions and we are not exempt from it.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully expect TT to draft an offensive lineman and possibly two, looking at guard and right tackle. If Barclay can prove that he's back to his capable self then this is a good signing. As Pokerbrat said, if he's the 2015 Barclay then I expect him to get cut before the season.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, this is just another perfect example of TT sticking with his guys...so what if they suck . Idk why people act so shocked when he brings back a guy he drafted even when they clearly don't deserve to be retained. He does this EVERY single year.

Members online

Latest posts