Aaron Rodgers contract

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matt Ryan is also "working on a new deal." Therefore: Clubs are purposely driving Aaron's price up.

It would seem at least as likely, maybe more, that the Packers are the ones driving up the price for the rest of the league. There's a lot more of them than us, for one thing, and while Aaron Rodgers may be worth a super max contract, others whose contracts are pegged to his maybe aren't. Also, the Packers are 6th out of 32 teams in cap space available. The 5 higher are all weak teams who aren't likely to have max contract players anyway, so just maybe part of the game is running some other teams into cap hell by raising the bar on what the top QBs make.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you continuously complain the Packers aren’t signing UFAs and now you’re complaining they are extending their two best players (who happen to be two of the best players in the league)? Some people are never happier than when they have something to complain about. One such person in particular in my life comes to mind, but she’s got nothing on you!

Rodgers is the best player in the league and IMO Matthews is among the top 3 or so defenders so after their deals Rodgers will the top paid player and Matthews among the top paid defenders. But that won’t last long – halfway through their contracts that will no longer be the case and depending upon how long the deals are, near the end of both they’ll likely look pretty good if both are healthy.

BTW, I am interested in reading your response to ivo610’s post. I hope you come up with something other than Ball and Thompson should take turns holding their breath and stomping their feet during negotiations while insisting Aaron and Clay take less money.

1st off Don't throw insults at me sir. Never did i say not extend your players, i said that is to much money and i'm enitled to my opinion. At this point I'm content on TT not signing Free agents..if you are going to dish out 15 and 23 mil a year contracts t two players he couldn't really sign anybody else if he wanted to. Have a nice day and God bless.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what are you suggesting? Let them walk?

Seriously Ivo??? you know that's not what i'm saying. All i'm saying is that how can you bring in other pieces to surround these guy's with when you are dishing out that much money to two players?? and don't tell me through the draft because those guy's are not guaranteed to be players. I'm not blaming Rodgers but you have to cut guy's like Woodson and can't bring back Jennings when you are making 23 mil a year. Maybe it's just me but i'm the type of guy who would be like hey i know i'm the best but i want to be the best ever. If having Woodson and Jennings at least one more year.. or bringing in some help gives me a better shot at winning another Superbowl i can wait to talk about re-doing my contract which has two years left. Let's take care of Clay, fill some voids where they need to be filled, and lets put together another Super bowl run. Who cares that Joe flacco got a mega deal?? the entire NFL knows im a better player..heck he even knows i'm a better player but i'm in the businees to win rings, im already rich. I'll worry about being the highest paid player in a year or two. That's just me tho... Rodgers and i are not the same person and i get that.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously Ivo??? you know that's not what i'm saying. All i'm saying is that how can you bring in other pieces to surround these guy's with when you are dishing out that much money to two players?? and don't tell me through the draft because those guy's are not guaranteed to be players. I'm not blaming Rodgers but you have to cut guy's like Woodson and can't bring back Jennings when you are making 23 mil a year. Maybe it's just me but i'm the type of guy who would be like hey i know i'm the best but i want to be the best ever. If having Woodson and Jennings at least one more year.. or bringing in some help gives me a better shot at winning another Superbowl i can wait to talk about re-doing my contract which has two years left. Let's take care of Clay, fill some voids where they need to be filled, and lets put together another Super bowl run. Who cares that Joe flacco got a mega deal?? the entire NFL knows im a better player..heck he even knows i'm a better player but i'm in the businees to win rings, im already rich. I'll worry about being the highest paid player in a year or two. That's just me tho... Rodgers and i are not the same person and i get that.

You either pay them or they walk. That's how this works.

What did Woodson and Jennings bring to the table last season? Oh right, nothing.

This is how the system works, You pay the good players and you surround them with younger cheaper talent. The past few years driver Woodson Jennings ect made the $. This year those 3 are all gone and the money is going to Matthews and Rodgers. The younger plays now are players like Cobb n Hayward. This is why TT has a strict budget for free agents.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
1st off Don't throw insults at me sir.
What insult did I “throw” at you? Are you denying you’ve been *****ing and whining about Thompson not signing UFAs? Do you deny you’re complaining about the money it is going to take to extend Rodgers and Matthews? It may seem like insults but I’m just holding up a mirror to your posting on these subjects on this board.

And as ivo610 posted, the Packers either have to pay them or they’ll walk.

Have a nice day and God bless.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You either pay them or they walk. That's how this works.

What did Woodson and Jennings bring to the table last season? Oh right, nothing.

This is how the system works, You pay the good players and you surround them with younger cheaper talent. The past few years driver Woodson Jennings ect made the $. This year those 3 are all gone and the money is going to Matthews and Rodgers. The younger plays now are players like Cobb n Hayward. This is why TT has a strict budget for free agents.

He won't have a choice now but to surround them with cheaper younger talent.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What insult did I “throw” at you? Are you denying you’ve been *****ing and whining about Thompson not signing UFAs? Do you deny you’re complaining about the money it is going to take to extend Rodgers and Matthews? It may seem like insults but I’m just holding up a mirror to your posting on these subjects on this board.

And as ivo610 posted, the Packers either have to pay them or they’ll walk.

Have a nice day and God bless.

Like i said earlier..with what Rodgers and Matthews will be getting the glimmer of hope i had at TT signing free agents left so i'm over it. Heres to hoping Clay doesn't miss any time with his hamstring issues:tup: as he will be the only force we have on defense.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
He won't have a choice now but to surround them with cheaper younger talent.
That's the whole idea of draft and develop. You develop young players and then you pay the ones that are vital to your core and let others go, you then draft more talent and develop it. This way you are keeping the great players developed in your system while bringing on board cheaper younger talent. Some really good players you have to let go to keep the really great game changing players, ie, wood and jennings. To do this you have to manage your cap. You don't go out and sign other teams castoffs for big bucks. This is how you keep a team competitive and in the hunt over a long span of time. Or you can use the Washington, Dallas, Philadelphia model and spend big bucks on free agents, its worked out really well for them hasn't it.

Would you like to see Arod or Clay playing against us? Who would you replace them with? Know any free agent QB's or Pass rushers of their caliber on the market, and if there were, what do you think you would have to pay them? Plus you would have to integrate them into our offense and Defensive system. How many years do you think it would take for them to come up to speed in such a complex system.

Draft and Develop Baby.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Rodell...let me get this straight.

On one hand, you are upset that we are going to pay 23 million to keep:

Our league MVP and elite QB who plays the most important position on the field
and 13 million to keep our star LB who is by far our most important defensive player.

But on the other hand, you are upset that we did NOT pay 10 million apiece to keep
A) A solid, but oft-injured player at our deepest position
and
B) A 36 year old safety who still has not been able to find work elsewhere since we cut him.

Do you seriously not understand why your opinions and ideas either get roasted or are not taken seriously? Is it possible, just possible, that you are going to complain about Ted Thompson no matter what he does?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The irony is that you think 13 million is too much to pay our own elite pass rusher who already knows the system, but if we would have signed Mario Williams last off-season, you would have been as excited as a kid on Christmas morning. And you know that is true.
Like i said earlier..with what Rodgers and Matthews will be getting the glimmer of hope i had at TT signing free agents left so i'm over it. Heres to hoping Clay doesn't miss any time with his hamstring issues:tup: as he will be the only force we have on defense.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT isn't operating in a bubble here. Every other signing in the league has an impact on what our guys value is. If top dudes are getting mega deals then that's the game he has to play to stay competetive.

Maybe it would make some people feel better if they thought of it as the Pack signing the top 2 free agents before they even hit the market.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, Clay and Aaron make everyone around them better which makes the whole draft and development of cheap players work.

The way I see it, Walden owes Clay a percentage of the contract he just signed because theres no way he even looked half as good to Indy without Clay.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews and Rodgers should get their money. They are the kingpins on offense and defense. Retaining them was a no brainer. What I'm looking for is Thompson to surround them with talent that will enable the Packers to win another Super Bowl. He always eschews free agency (to a fault in my opinion), but if he is going to rely on the draft he has to hit it better than he did in 2012. We will need drafts like the ones that brought in Rodgers and Matthews to stay competitive with SF, Atlanta, etc.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Matthews and Rodgers should get their money. They are the kingpins on offense and defense. Retaining them was a no brainer. What I'm looking for is Thompson to surround them with talent that will enable the Packers to win another Super Bowl. He always eschews free agency (to a fault in my opinion), but if he is going to rely on the draft he has to hit it better than he did in 2012. We will need drafts like the ones that brought in Rodgers and Matthews to stay competitive with SF, Atlanta, etc.

Wont know the impact of drafted players right away----UNLESS they are really really good

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
So Rodell...let me get this straight.

On one hand, you are upset that we are going to pay 23 million to keep:

Our league MVP and elite QB who plays the most important position on the field
and 13 million to keep our star LB who is by far our most important defensive player.

But on the other hand, you are upset that we did NOT pay 10 million apiece to keep
A) A solid, but oft-injured player at our deepest position
and
B) A 36 year old safety who still has not been able to find work elsewhere since we cut him.

Do you seriously not understand why your opinions and ideas either get roasted or are not taken seriously? Is it possible, just possible, that you are going to complain about Ted Thompson no matter what he does?
Was willing to pay Paul Kruger 8 mil to come to GB, only willing to pay Clay 8 mil to stay. Can we finally stop acknowledging the entertaining things that rodell says and focus on the the actually sensible things he says (I know, it's been a while)

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we finally stop acknowledging the entertaining things that rodell says and focus on the the actually sensible things he says (I know, it's been a while)

In college we had this guy that would stand in the middle of campus and ramble on about religion, Jesus, ****. The end of the world, war, ect. He would gather a crowd as he said outrageous things and was extremely dramatic. I'm sure he said a few things that made sense but the insanity of everything else that came out of his mouth kind of clogged up my memory.

But being in Wisconsin he was smart enough to never talk about the packers. Might have been last speech if he had. ;)

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
and don't tell me through the draft because those guy's are not guaranteed to be players.
High priced free agents are guaranteed? I know you're just joking here. At least 50% don't work out with the new teams and they are generally higher priced than a draft pick. You can't possibly think that SJax would have been a certain success here can you?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You're also not in his situation. It's pretty easy to say "I would totally leave money on the table to keep other guys and wait til my contract is up for a new one and take the injury risk," when you will never be making that decision.

And like it or not, Flacco's contract does matter. New NFL contracts are based off precedence.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all about improving the weak areas folks, that's all. I'm not going to keep beating the same dead horse. I don't think you should over pay for a player unless he's an immediate upgrade to strengthen a weakness. Mcmillan nor jenning's is an upgrade over Woodson, Brad jones is not an upgrade over Paul Krueger or even Michael Huff. See my point? there is no way you can justify giving a ST/backup guy 3 million dollars..no way. But i'm wrong for saying overspend on players like, Woodson?? hmm?? ok? i'm done.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all about improving the weak areas folks, that's all. I'm not going to keep beating the same dead horse. I don't think you should over pay for a player unless he's an immediate upgrade to strengthen a weakness. Mcmillan nor jenning's is an upgrade over Woodson, Brad jones is not an upgrade over Paul Krueger or even Michael Huff. See my point? there is no way you can justify giving a ST/backup guy 3 million dollars..no way. But i'm wrong for saying overspend on players like, Woodson?? hmm?? ok? i'm done.

Your logic is bizarre/insane. So...you think we should overpay by oh, about 8 million dollars over what he's going to get to keep Woodson because McMillian and Jennings aren't upgrades over Woodson? (debatable)

So...you won't "overpay" for Clay Matthews because we already have immediate upgrades? Dezman Moses? You either have completely lost all sense of logic and are just desperate at this point to defend your position to try to save face, or you're just messing with us.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your logic is bizarre/insane. So...you think we should overpay by oh, about 8 million dollars over what he's going to get to keep Woodson because McMillian and Jennings aren't upgrades over Woodson? (debatable)

So...you won't "overpay" for Clay Matthews because we already have immediate upgrades? Dezman Moses? You either have completely lost all sense of logic and are just desperate at this point to defend your position to try to save face, or you're just messing with us.

Boy are you guy's gullible haha smh. Give clay his money, and give Rodgers his money and lets call it a day. Altho i don't think Woodson is overpaid that's my opinion. Had he played a full season some of you might feel the same way. Anywho...i believe it was TT's intentions all along to give Rodgers and Matthews big contracts... hence really doing nothing and free agency. It is what it is brothers...hopefully this years draft class as well as last years has at least four players who ball out. Like i said before....someone here has to keep the pot stirred until the season starts. I'll do whatever it takes to "mix' thing's up a bit. however i won't go overboard tho. God bless

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boy are you guy's gullible haha smh. Give clay his money, and give Rodgers his money and lets call it a day. Altho i don't think Woodson is overpaid that's my opinion. Had he played a full season some of you might feel the same way. Anywho...i believe it was TT's intentions all along to give Rodgers and Matthews big contracts... hence really doing nothing and free agency. It is what it is brothers...hopefully this years draft class as well as last years has at least four players who ball out. Like i said before....someone here has to keep the pot stirred until the season starts. I'll do whatever it takes to "mix' thing's up a bit. however i won't go overboard tho. God bless

You don't think Woodson would be overpaid at 10M? You do realize that the 32/33 year old Woodson of 2009 is a completely different player than the 36/37 year old Woodson in 2013, right?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some day, I have a dream, that some day, all Packer fans will understand and appreciate TT.

It may take another decade of NFL dominance. I may take another decade of draft/develop/keep core for some of the GB fans to finally understand it. But some day we will get there.

We need to be patient Bothers and Sisters!

I dream of a day when a 34 year old broken down former pro-bowl CB gets cut by his team and a thread doesn't get started 10 minutes later saying 'we should bring him in'.

A day when the most shy man in Pro Football history is not criticized for being an egomaniac.

A day when a 6th round draft pick who breaks his leg in training camp isn't called a bust and TT expected to explain himself.

A day when prudent and careful player selection isn't viewed as being cheap or 'sitting on your hands'.

A day when a discontented super star making trouble in another locker room isn't seen as a savior for some perceived Packer weakness.

A day when not every draft pick who isn't starting is considered a bust.

A day when a FA player will be evaluated on where he is at currently, and not the player he was 5 years ago.

A day when it is finally understood that a salary cap limits how much you can spend.

Packer fans - I HAVE A DREAM!!!!!!

Members online

Latest posts