1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon... Update: Announcement to be released on MONDAY!

Aaron Rodgers contract

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Mar 19, 2013.

1. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +993

Exactly what i was thinking. Another pass catching tightend and deep threat at wr wouldn't hurt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MiamiBeachPacker

MiamiBeachPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +246
    Loving the new Rodgers extension!

3. Darth Garfunkel

Darth Garfunkel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +495
    Awesome! Now I say we get him some linemen to keep him off his a$$ this season.

4. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +606
    Gotta be happy for Rodgers!! Great day for Packers fans.

5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,048
    Interesting timing of when the deal was announced ....

I mean for announcing they are making someone the highest paid player in nfl history they couldn't have picked a better time to have it glossed over by the media.

6. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,241
    The reporting on this deal is strange and not making much sense. We need better reporting and more detail.

"The front-loaded deal pays Rodgers $40 million in the first season, which explains why GM Ted Thompson was so conservative with his 2013 cap."

First, the new deal is an extension, so the 2013 bump up to $40 mil would appear to be signing bonus. If so, the cap hit is back loaded (like every other deal of any magnitude in the NFL).

Second, with the Matthews deal and the general practice of keeping a $5 mil cap cushion after the draft, there is nowhere near enough cap space in 2013 to meaningfully front load the cap on this deal even if the 2013 year was renegotiated, which does not appear to be the case.

Then we have this statement from Dougherty: "Rodgers will be paid $40 million this year, tying the NFL record for a single season's pay, according to the NFL Network and ESPN reports." Right, it looks like that's cash pay, not salary...he tied Brees who's $40 mil cash pay included $37 million in signing bonus.

ESPN said Rodgers $40 mil includes "some bonus". It looks to me like it will be about 75% bonus with the cap hit back loaded to one degree or another.

If they're paying him $40 mil cash this year, roughly $60 mil cash in the first 3 years, and the last two years of his current deal remain intact, the math says he's getting base salaries of roughly $10 mil per year for the first 3 years along with a $30 mil signing bonus. In that case, the cap hit in the first 3 years is about $14 mil per year...a back loaded deal from a cap standpoint.

We await the details.

7. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,241
    "Woo, woo, look at us, we paid more than anybody else in history!" Is this supposed to be a point of pride? It's the kind of thing media hounds like to do. "Woo, woo...fans please love me now for paying your hero like a prince!" Making a big splash on such matters is for the owner's vicarious thrill.

TT hates talking money, and will never talk about the thinking behind any particular contract. I get that; it's what I'd do. It makes sense to pop the news when attention is concentrated elsewhere, thereby avoiding the tiresome press attention.

Anyway, this isn't really news...he was expected to be extended for a record deal...and that's what happened. The real news, which most people don't care about, is how the cap hit is spread.

8. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,048
    I just think it says a lot about the team.

No need to try n make it negative

9. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,241
    The only negative in my post had do with the fan(s) who think the team should make a big deal out of it. I thought I detected disappointment in your post. No?

It does say something about the team, yes.

10. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +358
    What a nice few days for Rodgers.

$110 million dollars, 2 new offensive lineman, and 2 stud running backs to drop back the safeties.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mayo44

mayo44 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Am I the only who is pretty sure as a final stipulation to his contract, Rodgers must have insisted on a clause stating that the Packers must install a usable running game to take some heat off his ***?

12. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,048
    No disappointment. I am pretty sure it's a unique situation when the team and the player have no interest for headlines. I'm happy for that. We aren't the sideshow so many other teams let themselves turn into

13. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,927
    Wilde has the details according to the (in)famous source with access to the NFL Players Association salary data.

Here's the link: http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/page.php?page_id=278

14. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +965
  15. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,241
    It should be noted Rodgers' contract is not strictly an extension on the remaining two years...the old 2013 and 2014 contract terms were completely rewritten.

There's a key difference between Rodgers' and Flacco's deals as noted in this link. Flacco's cap hit goes to approx. $29 mil, $31 mil and $25 mil in years 4 - 6. This a deal made to be renegotiated after the 3rd. year.

Rodgers' deal is not so severely cap backloaded...after the significant cap hit jump in year 2 there's the gradual ramp to the $21 mil cap hit. This is a contract that could reasonably be played out if Rodgers continues to be Rodgers.

Nonetheless, the first 3 years of these deals...the total payout and the guarantees...are pretty comparable.

As I commented previously, Flacco's deal was nuts, born of a confluence of circumstances (SB win in the contract year) leading to a negotiation that resembled extortion. Rodgers is not underpaid so much as Flacco is overpaid. It's refreshing to see the principals involved in crafting Rodgers' deal acknowledged that.

16. texaspackerbacker

texaspackerbacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58
    I haven't seen exact details of the contract - I don't know if they are public yet or not, but, somebody please explain how a contract extension can be "5 years for $110 million" and never more than $21 million in a year. The math simply does not add up. If it is perfectly straight line, it would be $22 million for each of 5 years. If it is front - or rear - loaded at all, some years would need to be more.

17. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,927
    Check the link in post #239 or read the quoted text, it lays out the money and cap hit year by year.
    Rodgers previous contract was through 2014 so the extension of five years means he is under contract for the next 7 seasons. How the math works depends upon if you are just looking at the 5 years of the extension or the total 7 years. The 5-year extension is worth $110M, that’s $22M/year. IMO it makes more sense to look at the entire 7 years and that number is $130.75, which is $18.68M/year.

As far as it is “never more than $21 million in a year” keep in mind Rodgers will receive $40,000,000 this year. The cap hit is never more than... because the signing bonus of $35M is spread over the term of the contract. The guaranteed money - a very important aspect of these huge deals - is $54M.

18. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,241
    The details are in the links above...go read them.

To answer your question, this is not a 5 year / $110 million deal. That's how much was added to the $20 mil due for 2013 and 2014, kinda sorta. Nothing was actually added per se; it is more accurate to say the remaining two years were tossed and a whole new 7 year / $130 mil contract was written.

Saying 5 for $110 makes people think Rodgers is getting more than Flacco for PR purposes. From what I understand Rodgers scored a 1300 on his SAT so I'm sure he's not deceived. There are elements of Rodgers deal that are slightly better; Flacco's deal from the players perspective is higher risk / higher reward...how it turns out in the end will depend on what the restructured deal looks like 3 years hence.

I realize you wanted him to get $25 million per year for a bazillion years with a $100 mil signing bonus. You should be celebrating, not disappointed. We can afford more players this way. As I said before, your way would have been irresponsible.