Aaron Rodgers' 2022 Season

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure i've heard Rodgers say in the past year or so we're more effective running from under center, so I think he knows that. why they're more shotgun? Maybe it's rodgers maybe it's all the inside pressure we've allowed this year, maybe it's the thumb and having the ball jammed up into it every snap vs the shot gun snap that doesn't.

as for shifts and motions, Maybe it's Rodgers, maybe it's skill players and constantly shuffling Oline that makes them use less, or was why Rodgers suggested they use less because they weren't able to comprehend and perform.

It's the same dynamic as we saw in Pittsburgh last year: old veteran QB wants to just run a static offense because of his limitations and preferences.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a big difference between giving your potential future starting QB some meaningful snaps and giving up on your FHOF QB. From what I have heard and read, those screaming to bench Rodgers and give up on him in the process, are in the minority. I also don't think you put Rodgers in mothballs for the rest of the season, but you let him play for a half and if the game isn't close, bring in Love. That way you are giving Rodgers valuable snaps with his future receivers and giving Love valuable playing time, that will also allow the Packers to further assess him.
In theory this would've been great for the last 2 years...unfortunately I can count the number of blow-outs on one hand. In recent years GB has played down/up to their opponents and have managed to eek-out wins much of the time. That, however, doesn't give Love any playing time. Once eliminated from playoff contention MLF needs to tell AR "you get 2 quarters to play, which ones do you want? Jordan gets the others. After the bye week Jordan gets 3 quarters, which one would you like?"

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Rodgers wasn’t lighting the world on fire prior to the injury, but he was playing a hell of a lot better than since the injury. I don’t think it’s a small part of the equation.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It's the same dynamic as we saw in Pittsburgh last year: old veteran QB wants to just run a static offense because of his limitations and preferences.
I think there’s a lot more to it than Rodgers playing like **** out of stubborn pride after being placed on a massive pedestal from winning back to back MVPs.

The insinuation that he just “wants” to do it his way after all this time of conforming to MLF and having insane success is a bit far fetched IMO.

It’s not like most in the media wasn’t giving him far more of the credit than LaFleur.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Rodgers wasn’t lighting the world on fire prior to the injury, but he was playing a hell of a lot better than since the injury. I don’t think it’s a small part of the equation.
I don't discount that it's part of the equation BUT if that is the case it's a bit concerning to me that it would seem to imply that...

A.) Team docs apparently don't think it's serious enough to prevent him from playing (and thus would fall into an odd place where it's "serious enough to have a noticeable impact on performance" while also being "mild enough to not require missed time and/or risk of reinjury")

OR,

B.) The coaching staff/etc feels that an injury-impacted Aaron Rodgers still gives us a better chance of winning than Jordan Love (and by extension that the risk of Rodgers re-injuring/exacerbating his injury still outweighs the benefits of starting Love)

OR,

C.) The coaching staff does believe that we would have a better chance of winning with Jordan Love but aren't playing him because they're afraid of upsetting Rodgers or something like that

None of which are particularly encouraging to me...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think there’s a lot more to it than Rodgers playing like **** out of stubborn pride after being placed on a massive pedestal from winning back to back MVPs.

The insinuation that he just “wants” to do it his way after all this time of conforming to MLF and having insane success is a bit far fetched IMO.

It’s not like most in the media wasn’t giving him far more of the credit than LaFleur.

I do not.

I think that Rodgers honestly believes that his preferred style of offense will lead to the most success. He's obviously wrong. But the scheme is accommodating him to disastrous results.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
OMG, AR was watching him make the break & as he cleared wide open, then looked away to throw it out of bounds. Deguara was open, past the 1st down marker already, and probably would've walked-in for a TD. That's disheartening that our MVP/HOF QB would purposely "miss" a wide open 2nd-read receiver in the midst of complaining about receivers not getting open.
That’s what Steve czaban was talking about

There is no excuse at all This was a fail

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't discount that it's part of the equation BUT if that is the case it's a bit concerning to me that it would seem to imply that...

A.) Team docs apparently don't think it's serious enough to prevent him from playing (and thus would fall into an odd place where it's "serious enough to have a noticeable impact on performance" while also being "mild enough to not require missed time and/or risk of reinjury")

OR,

B.) The coaching staff/etc feels that an injury-impacted Aaron Rodgers still gives us a better chance of winning than Jordan Love (and by extension that the risk of Rodgers re-injuring/exacerbating his injury still outweighs the benefits of starting Love)

OR,

C.) The coaching staff does believe that we would have a better chance of winning with Jordan Love but aren't playing him because they're afraid of upsetting Rodgers or something like that

None of which are particularly encouraging to me...

Or Aaron is downplaying how bad it hurts? images can’t be faked, but pain and tolerance can

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or Aaron is downplaying how bad it hurts? images can’t be faked, but pain and tolerance can
How could that even be? He threw the ball twice as far out of bounds! It's like his head and body are moving but he is not really looking at the field. Probably what he did with DeVante. And then just says nobody is where there supposed to be.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, but I suspect most staffers (coaches, medical, etc) have had plenty of players tell them “I’m fine, I can play” countless times before. They’re not dumb; if it’s bad enough to be negatively impacting his play I’m pretty confident the medical/coaching staff wouldn’t just be over here saying “he said it’s no big deal though, so it must be something else”

And in whatever case that’s a whole other can of worms. IF it is true that Rodgers is able to fool our staff by downplaying his injury and they conclude he’s playing poorly for some non-injury related reason yet still feel he’s our best option (and/or can’t bench him for XYZ reasons), that’s not encouraging either.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He needs to borrow Favre's thumb. It worked like a Timex watch.

D

Deleted member 6794

I guarantee you that if they put Love in and he just executed the offense as designed (motion, under-center, true PA, etc), it would be more effective.

I'm all but certain the offense would struggle even more with Love playing.

This year...play action is barely happening on 1/4 of the plays...that is INSANELY low for the offense MLF system is? no? Love to know how many of our plays utilize pre-snap motion....feel like since MLF's first year we don't do it much!

Rodgers and the Packers used play action on 25.7% of his dropbacks in 2021 and on 28.9% in 2020 while winning the MVP both seasons. But because the offense is struggling this year he's not playing within MLF's system anymore. I call that utter BS.

I don't know how much the thumb injury is bothering Rodgers during games but I truly believe that the coaching staff believes that as long as he can play he gives the team a better chance to win than Love starting.

How could that even be? He threw the ball twice as far out of bounds! It's like his head and body are moving but he is not really looking at the field. Probably what he did with DeVante. And then just says nobody is where there supposed to be.

You're putting too much stock into a single play. As mentioned before missing open receivers happens to every quarterback around the league.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all but certain the offense would struggle even more with Love playing.

Rodgers and the Packers used play action on 25.7% of his dropbacks in 2021 and on 28.9% in 2020 while winning the MVP both seasons. But because the offense is struggling this year he's not playing within MLF's system anymore. I call that utter BS.

I don't know how much the thumb injury is bothering Rodgers during games but I truly believe that the coaching staff believes that as long as he can play he gives the team a better chance to win than Love starting.

You're putting too much stock into a single play. As mentioned before missing open receivers happens to every quarterback around the league.

FTR the post you quoted I was more or less asking questions of if we aren’t in the MLF system as much as normal? I never made a declaration either way.

Reaction score
It's silly to be that irrationally certain when the offense has produced 14 ppg over the past four weeks. Not exactly a high bar to clear.
There’s a reasonable chance Love wins one of those 3 contests. He’d probably hand the ball off a bit more (by design) or played conservative and kicked a FG when appropriate and that itself could’ve erased an INT or 2
I highly doubt we would’ve rushed 19 times total against the Lions and I’m even guessing we might’ve dialed up a QB sneak or QB Option play inside the 5 yard line.
It couldn’t have ended any worse that’s for sure.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There’s a reasonable chance Love wins one of those 3 contests. He’d probably hand the ball off a bit more (by design) or played conservative and kicked a FG when appropriate and that itself could’ve erased an INT or 2
I highly doubt we would’ve rushed 19 times total against the Lions and I’m even guessing we might’ve dialed up a QB sneak or QB Option play inside the 5 yard line.
It couldn’t have ended any worse that’s for sure.

And here's the thing-- I am in no way convinced that Love is good or will ever be good.

But I am fully convinced that Love actually carrying out the design of the offense would be superior to the trash we've been watching lately.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel dirty for even clicking on that. Talk about a prime example of junk journalism that is rampant today. There is zero substance and that's being generous. Not even an unnamed source LOL.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
And I’m thinking
I feel dirty for even clicking on that. Talk about a prime example of junk journalism that is rampant today. There is zero substance and that's being generous. Not even an unnamed source LOL.

Think Tom Silverstein had the original article

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
And you've got someone like PB giving it credence.....lol

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Here's a 34 minute video that is more than worth the watch for anyone that has the time to spare. I can promise it'll be more helpful than *****ing and moaning on here about what you "think" is going on. I think Kurt Warner might know a thing or two about playing quarterback in the NFL. BTW - before you click the link, yes there's a couple Rodgers critiques as well. This is in no way designed to completely absolve 12 (I've said multiple times he's played bad), but this gives you an idea of what he's been up against time and time again this season......