Aaron has A LOT to PROVE now...

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A RG, another body for depth on the online and maybe another WR if none of the young guys are able to step up is really all the offense needs. Outside of maybe the WR all that can be addressed in round 4 or later or a few weeks after the start of FA with 2nd and 3rd tier guys.

Defense however needs 2 Safties (or one Safety and one CB if they decide to move Jackson to the back end), 2-3 OLBs and another ILB to play next to Martinez. Pettine really has been a wizard with what hes had to work with

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. I never said Aaron was the GOAT, that title belongs to Brady for the time being.

3. Again if you're referring to his game as to where he has a lot to prove then fine I agree... This season did he play subpar than what we're used to seeing him?
He has to play better. ...
4. I expect him to do better especially next season

I eliminated some of the fog and qualifying statements.

So apparently, yes he has something to prove. Number four confirms that you are expecting he will prove it... I don’t disagree.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I eliminated some of the fog and qualifying statements.

So apparently, yes he has something to prove. Number four confirms that you are expecting he will prove it... I don’t disagree.
Like I said if regarding to being considered as the best QB, then yes I agree. But being responsible for where we are right now? Not so much.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
do you think mm is the scapegoat? the performance wasn't there in the beginning so I think rod gradually schemed his way into putting all the weight on mm instead of himself and the expectations of having to play to his big contract. not saying mm is not to blame but there is blame to go around and mm isn't the only one. even the owners probably felt stupid that you give just gave a qb one of the biggest contracts and you have him lead his team to only winning 4 games so far. yeah...i'd say that is pretty embarrassing.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said if regarding to being considered as the best QB, then yes I agree. But being responsible for where we are right now? Not so much.
People want simple explanations for things that they can identity and say... “see that is the problem.. fix that and all will be well” The reality is that life is rarely that simple. The Packers problems are wide ranging. Coaching, execution, lack of overall talent, lack of focus, bad luck, etc... etc.. This is why i’m Ok with getting a new coach, Sometimes a reboot is the only way to address as many wide ranging problems as you can all at once. We got the new GM last year, and hopefully he will continue to improve the talent. If the right coach is selected, maybe we can see some new ideas come in that will excite the offense and get things rolling. Now to assume that a team’s QB is not an integral part in a team’s success and failure is extremely short sighted. Aaron is not going anywhere so he definitely needs to identify his parts in the recent failures. This is the part where I say he does have something to prove. His throws have been uncharacteristically inaccurate, and he has missed a number of open receivers throughout the year that would have extended drives and provided rhythm that the offense has lacked. What the reasons for this are probably many, but it does provide a area where he has something to prove.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Think he needs to prove he's still at the exalted level he was playing before. Lots of (deserved) **** was given to TyM for his fumble return, but in reality...even if AR had gotten the ball back there was a 60% chance we'd run on 3rd down and turn it over without a score. AR's 2 minute performance is nowhere close to even 2 seasons before.

- Quick throw to middle.
- Throw to TE's.
- Don't hold the ball too much.

Some basic stuff, that AR needs to reinvent.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think he needs to prove he's still at the exalted level he was playing before. Lots of (deserved) **** was given to TyM for his fumble return, but in reality...even if AR had gotten the ball back there was a 60% chance we'd run on 3rd down and turn it over without a score. AR's 2 minute performance is nowhere close to even 2 seasons before.

- Quick throw to middle.
- Throw to TE's.
- Don't hold the ball too much.

Some basic stuff, that AR needs to reinvent.

Rodgers 2 minute drills were definitely better than you are implying - Chicago and San Fran for the win. Against Minnesota Crosby missed a game winner. Against the Cardinals Crosby missed one to tie. Against the Rams and Seattle he never got a chance. Actually is there a game Rodgers had the ball with under 2 minutes and a chance to win or tie that he failed in? The terrible throw against Seattle was with like 4 and half to play. But lets count that. So he has 2 game winning drives, 2 where he set up field goals to win or tie where Crosby didnt come through. 1 game with the Ty Mont fumble. And then the Seattle game where he failed with 4 minutes left and never got another chance. No other game was within one score with 2 minutes left. So I have to stretch two minute drills to 4 minutes left to find the time he failed.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is the best QB in NFL history. This year he has "only" been the 5th-8th best QB in the NFL. What exactly does he need to "prove"?

That he's worth the new contract. Pretty much like AJ Hawk, except he didn't choose be drafting #5.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hadn't seen that, but the reason WE thought he wasn't good enough was because of the #5 pick.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he can't fix this soon and win another SB, I'm not convinced he will have a better legacy than Brett to be honest.

He's gonna have to prove it fast. He really seems on the decline if he's throwing 5 yard passes in the dirt every single game.

Amazing how in 2010 it seemed he'd have a better career than Favre. But now, maybe not. I know we all hated Favre's bonehead interceptions, but what has Rodgers' lack of interceptions done? He still hasn't accomplished as much as Favre. At least Favre made it to a second Super Bowl.

People give Brett crap for the Rams 6int game, but Rodgers didn't have a "good game" at all in the 2014 NFC Championship game vs the Seahawks..

Better to lose by trying to make plays, than to lose by being afraid to make plays.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
This might be a matter of semantics, but I would say that Aaron Rodgers has absolutely nothing at all to "prove". To prove something is to do something that you previously haven't done, in my opinion. We all know that he is capable. We're asking a 2 time league MVP and Super Bowl MVP to "prove" what exactly?

He needs to play better, and he will. But he has nothing to prove to anyone.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This might be a matter of semantics, but I would say that Aaron Rodgers has absolutely nothing at all to "prove". To prove something is to do something that you previously haven't done, in my opinion. We all know that he is capable. We're asking a 2 time league MVP and Super Bowl MVP to "prove" what exactly?

That he can still play that way. he just signed a record setting contract and has had two major injuries.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't think there's anything amiss in asking him to prove he can do it again.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to be honest here

Aaron has A LOT to prove now that MM is gone..

He REALLY HAS to pick his play up, he averaged 4.7 yards per attempt today

4.7 yards PER ATTEMPT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dearly hope that was MM's doing, b/c this is terrible.

If he can't fix this soon and win another SB, I'm not convinced he will have a better legacy than Brett to be honest.
I guess maybe he does. But I would rather go with him and a new coach than the other way around.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not many outside of WI consider Rodgers the best in the game.
I watch a lot of the sports shows that everybody seems to hate so much around here. A couple of observations:

Most commentators either support Brady or Rodgers as the QB GOAT. Once in a great while you'll hear Joe Montana's name.
Here's what interesting to me: The guys who support Rodgers are mostly complimentary of Brady. After all, his accomplishments speak for themselves.
But the guys who support Brady seem to frigging HATE Rodgers, they love to cut him down. I wonder why that is?

My other observation about the coverage today is that considering it was McCarthy who was fired, it seems like not much of the discussion was about McCarthy.
It was about Rodgers, how Rodgers got him fired, how Rodgers will respond to a new coach, how the pressure will be on Rodgers now, etc. Actually it seems like a lot of shade was thrown Rodgers way. Again, I wonder why that is? Other than the human tendency to kick our heroes when they're down.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
because by those in the business, MM is still a pretty well regarded coach. It's also rumored there has been a rift between QB and HC for a couple of seasons now and it's come to a head right after the QB was made untouchable by a huge contract. Darn right the pressure is on Rodgers. I don't care how MM leads his next team, they aren't my team. GB is and I am concerned about how Rodgers responds.

I wonder if waiting until after the season to discuss contract extensions would have resulted in a different season?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I usually don't know what i'm talking about, has never stopped me :)

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will preface this post by saying I only skimmed through the articles but the two I just read on b/r pretty much stated that Rodgers would constantly change or audible out of McCarthy's plays and also he will have little to no input on the next coach. With that being said and if the first topic is true and the second is also true do we really expect a different result next year? If Rodgers does not like coach x and his plays from the get what is going to stop him from doing the same thing? Let's be real here coach x goes into gute/gluten and murphys office and says we need to put him in his place and bench him for a quarter or half or whatever the repercussion will be for insubordination he will get laughed out of the office and told pretty much "what will our fans and our paychecks think of all of this?"

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OHHH GAWD now you guys looking to push more blame. Now its aron having to prove himself . Dude MM was bad its wasnt just on offense. Look how long the D was bad, ST wasnt very consistent neither for a while also injuries happened everyyyyyyy year and that is also apart of MM S&C staff. Bad draft choices through out the years. Yes Aaron havent been playing like aaron but that is its own problem within its self, tbh the packers oline soft how many 4th and shorts have they failed at?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Just listened to Joe Philbin pc.. While he was giving Rodgers praise he did say. Aaron had to play better..

I really like Joe's way of talking. To me he comes across as honest and explains things with out side stepping