Aaron has A LOT to PROVE now...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If everyone that says the issue was MM, a new coach makes Rodgers better?? So if a new coach comes and we see the same, is it still the coach?

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
If everyone that says the issue was MM, a new coach makes Rodgers better?? So if a new coach comes and we see the same, is it still the coach?

I’ve always thought it was a bit of both ... - I’ve never been a fan of McCarthy, but he has done a tremendous amount of work and achieved results. - Rodgers shoulders a fair share of blame aswell.

Imo most of the times, I believe it was more on the players, than the coach though that the results have been subpar. - It starts at “The top on the field”. If you have a Leader who doesnt lead it trickels Down and it will show ...

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers comes out this week and stinks like he did against the Cardinals, he should take a seat for the rest of the season.
If he comes out looking like the Rodgers of the past and they post a win, I think one could safely assume that the problem was McCarthy.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
https://m.cheeseheadtv.com/blog/corys-corner-pressures-on-aaron-rodgers-146

Rodgers doesn’t have a passive-aggressive punching bag anymore — he must perform.

There’s one problem: Rodgers hasn’t performed this season. He’s 28thin completion percentage (61.8), 15thin yards per attempt (7.57) and 20thin third down completion percentage with 3-7 yards to go (47.5).

Rodgers has continually complained McCarthy’s lackluster offense even though former Packers center and current ESPN NFL analyst Jeff Saturday said, …“When you'd be in the huddle, and Mike McCarthy would make the play call, you could see Aaron's frustration. Whether it be the eye roll...”

But now it’s all on Rodgers. McCarthy is the one that got fired, but Rodgers isn’t spotless in all of this. Remember, Rodgers signed a $134 million extension and because of that, he cannot keep throwing it at his receivers’ feet and seven yards past them.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I am usually not a hot-take kind of guy, but does anyone else feel like Rodgers "being off" is intentional? The relationship between him and McCarthy got so bad that he didn't want him there anymore.

Case in point:
  • Rodgers accuracy - Being one of the most accurate qbs in the league over the course of the last 10 years or so. He now ranks 27th in accuracy. Behind rookies and guys who have no right to be mentioned with Rodgers.
  • Blatantly missing open receivers - I seen this in an SI article or something, but really he is reading the field at times like rookie fresh out of college who is overwhelmed
  • Rodgers QBR ranks 19th... between Marcus Mariota and Joe Flacco... Which is sadly pretty accurate this year. And before anyone say "Well that stat is just garbage and doesn't mean anything." Let's check the top 5 Mahomes, Brees, Rivers, Trubisky, Goff.... Seems pretty accurate to me. Full list here http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr
The icing on the cake is that Rodgers is having his most inaccurate year of his career... And it is obvious to anyone that watches him that he is throwing some passes this year that you never see him miss. YET, Rodgers has by far the least amount of interceptions of his career and would have to throw 6 consecutive interceptions just to hit his career average. Don't you think if qb was having a very inaccurate year, that their interception rate would reflect that? Seems like he would have to be selectively inaccurate for this numbers to happen.

So I will be patiently waiting for Sunday with my tinfoil hat on curious to see if Rodgers goes for 420 yards and 5TDs and the packers put up 40 points.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he just is inaccurate right now. Takes a few weeks for it to show up because he could probably throw all arm for a while, but eventually not being able to use his leg very well for a while caused breakdowns in his throwing.

I think he’ll get it back but maybe not until next year

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That he's worth the new contract. Pretty much like AJ Hawk, except he didn't choose be drafting #5.

My apologies if it came off like I was claiming Rodgers no longer needed to be good with the new contract, that's not what I meant. What I was pushing back against is the idea that Rodgers hasn't already proven that he's worth the contract, given that he continues to play at a high level. Yes, obviously if he turns into Jamarcus Russell then he'll be awful (heck, if he turns into Ryan Tannehill he'll be a bust with that contract.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he just is inaccurate right now. Takes a few weeks for it to show up because he could probably throw all arm for a while, but eventually not being able to use his leg very well for a while caused breakdowns in his throwing.

I think he’ll get it back but maybe not until next year

I think the Packers' offense is predicated on timing and routes, just look at the number of throws that Rodgers makes before a guy is even at the spot the ball is going, and with a number of rookies playing extensively that timing and precision is off. Rodgers sees one thing and expects a guy to be somewhere at a certain depth and the guy has run the wrong route or is sloppy and so Rodgers comes off the read to the next guy or throws it away because he doesn't trust his legs to escape. I also think the knee has affected his ability to throw, as you point out, and that's lead to him being a little sloppy lately.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Stop with knee issues. It's really a non issue.. Now, gun shy not wanting g to get hurt.. I'll buy that

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I am usually not a hot-take kind of guy, but does anyone else feel like Rodgers "being off" is intentional? The relationship between him and McCarthy got so bad that he didn't want him there anymore.

Case in point:
  • Rodgers accuracy - Being one of the most accurate qbs in the league over the course of the last 10 years or so. He now ranks 27th in accuracy. Behind rookies and guys who have no right to be mentioned with Rodgers.
  • Blatantly missing open receivers - I seen this in an SI article or something, but really he is reading the field at times like rookie fresh out of college who is overwhelmed
  • Rodgers QBR ranks 19th... between Marcus Mariota and Joe Flacco... Which is sadly pretty accurate this year. And before anyone say "Well that stat is just garbage and doesn't mean anything." Let's check the top 5 Mahomes, Brees, Rivers, Trubisky, Goff.... Seems pretty accurate to me. Full list here http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr
The icing on the cake is that Rodgers is having his most inaccurate year of his career... And it is obvious to anyone that watches him that he is throwing some passes this year that you never see him miss. YET, Rodgers has by far the least amount of interceptions of his career and would have to throw 6 consecutive interceptions just to hit his career average. Don't you think if qb was having a very inaccurate year, that their interception rate would reflect that? Seems like he would have to be selectively inaccurate for this numbers to happen.

So I will be patiently waiting for Sunday with my tinfoil hat on curious to see if Rodgers goes for 420 yards and 5TDs and the packers put up 40 points.
It's 3rd down and what ever..

Tossing it out of bounds is better than throwing an int.

Explain

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers' offense is predicated on timing and routes, just look at the number of throws that Rodgers makes before a guy is even at the spot the ball is going, and with a number of rookies playing extensively that timing and precision is off. Rodgers sees one thing and expects a guy to be somewhere at a certain depth and the guy has run the wrong route or is sloppy and so Rodgers comes off the read to the next guy or throws it away because he doesn't trust his legs to escape.
I could believe this to a degree, but PLEASE tell me why, if AR doesn't trust where the young WR's are going to be that he returns to the sideline and sits by himself after another punt? Wouldn't it make A LOT of sense for him to talk to the receivers and tell them what HE sees and where they should be? I get it, that he's not the WR coach, but they're not making the read that AR thinks WHY NOT TELL them why they should read it as he does?

Brees threw TD's to 4 UDFA's 2 weeks ago and the announcers said that throughout the week Brees is working with ALL of the receivers on where he expects them to be in different situations. Lo and behold... they are where Brees expects them to be in the game!!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could believe this to a degree, but PLEASE tell me why, if AR doesn't trust where the young WR's are going to be that he returns to the sideline and sits by himself after another punt? Wouldn't it make A LOT of sense for him to talk to the receivers and tell them what HE sees and where they should be? I get it, that he's not the WR coach, but they're not making the read that AR thinks WHY NOT TELL them why they should read it as he does?

Brees threw TD's to 4 UDFA's 2 weeks ago and the announcers said that throughout the week Brees is working with ALL of the receivers on where he expects them to be in different situations. Lo and behold... they are where Brees expects them to be in the game!!

I don't know. Maybe they have bad breath? We don't see what happens in practice, at this point Rodgers is who he has always been so that's not going to change; he's not the chummy QB that will go chat with you receivers on the sideline. Perhaps he's more focused on going over the coverages he saw and protections while he's on the sideline or maybe he's just an *****? As for the Brees comparison, I can only say that he operates in a different offense and perhaps he has more trust in his coach and gameplan than Rodgers does (I'm not debating the rightness or wrongness of that trust). I don't think Brees is a better QB so I can't rightly point out why Brees is throwing to UDFAs and the Packers aren't, other than to point out that at this point it's blindingly obvious that the Saints just have a far better offense than the Packers and that tends to make everything easier.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stop with knee issues. It's really a non issue.. Now, gun shy not wanting g to get hurt.. I'll buy that

Easy to say for someone that doesn't have the knee issue and gets to look forward to refrigerators falling on them every weekend. He was compensating for the knee early in the year, I don't think it's as simple as you make it seem to just go from protecting the knee one week to, "Oh, I'm all better now!"

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just listened to Joe Philbin pc.. While he was giving Rodgers praise he did say. Aaron had to play better..
They always used to say Rodgers played better with a chip on his shoulder. With all the praise he's gotten in recent years, that chip probably shrunk in size. Maybe publicly challenging him will help motivate him.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's 3rd down and what ever..

Tossing it out of bounds is better than throwing an int.

Explain

And throwing it to the wide open receiver for a first down is better than either.

I'll eat my crow if I am wrong, but my prediction is we see the best Packers offense all season Sunday. Along with the best Rodgers so far in 2018

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The knee might be better, i'm not sure the throwing mechanics didn't suffer because of it. See it all the time. Pitcher sprains an ankle and 3 months later his shoulder is shot and he's lost velocity and can't locate a pitch to save his life. his knee could be feeling fine, doesn't mean the damage hasn't been done.

He does seem a bit gun shy, that's a separate issue as far as i'm concerned. Plenty of times he's had a clean place to throw from, or on the move like he used to and just can't put the ball where it needs to go.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Easy to say for someone that doesn't have the knee issue and gets to look forward to refrigerators falling on them every weekend. He was compensating for the knee early in the year, I don't think it's as simple as you make it seem to just go from protecting the knee one week to, "Oh, I'm all better now!"
Video shows he is running fine, sliding, moving in pocket fine No knee brace.

Now, convince me why it isn't fine. Other than his passes are off.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The can be fine, it can be hurt, I don't know. I'll just assume it is fine as he's moving the best we've seen him all year. But between September and say the last week or 2, he's been relying on a lot different throwing style to still deliver the ball because of that knee. I think he had better accuracy by far in the 2nd half the Bears game in week 1 than he has now. Those compensations take a toll, QB's, Pitchers, an tennis player and his serve. That lower body is so important in maintaining shoulder function that when it's compromised, it will show up eventually in ways we're seeing now. can only compensate so long.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Video shows he is running fine, sliding, moving in pocket fine No knee brace.

Now, convince me why it isn't fine. Other than his passes are off.

Why so hostile? I'm sure you're fully aware that the burden of proof you just demanded is impossible to reach. Nobody can reach into Rodgers' head and pull out a thought of him being more hesitant to plant on the knee or being more wary of the knee getting hurt. I can only point out that it would be perfectly reasonable, in some cases probable, for a guy that was injured to not favor said injury while it was hurting and then not immediately forget all about it as soon as it was all better.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The can be fine, it can be hurt, I don't know. I'll just assume it is fine as he's moving the best we've seen him all year. But between September and say the last week or 2, he's been relying on a lot different throwing style to still deliver the ball because of that knee. I think he had better accuracy by far in the 2nd half the Bears game in week 1 than he has now. Those compensations take a toll, QB's, Pitchers, an tennis player and his serve. That lower body is so important in maintaining shoulder function that when it's compromised, it will show up eventually in ways we're seeing now. can only compensate so long.
Yup, understandable But I go back few seasons.. He had bad knee (wasn't reported but insider told me) and had scope after the season.. He wasnt this bad thrn.. That's why I'm hesitant to belive the knee

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why so hostile? I'm sure you're fully aware that the burden of proof you just demanded is impossible to reach. Nobody can reach into Rodgers' head and pull out a thought of him being more hesitant to plant on the knee or being more wary of the knee getting hurt. I can only point out that it would be perfectly reasonable, in some cases probable, for a guy that was injured to not favor said injury while it was hurting and then not immediately forget all about it as soon as it was all better.
Not hostile.. Sorry if it came across.

I gave my reasons, why.. You can't so then we will leave it at that.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People give Brett crap for the Rams 6int game, but Rodgers didn't have a "good game" at all in the 2014 NFC Championship game vs the Seahawks..

He has a lot to prove....

I disagree the 2014 championship game exposed the schematic limitations of the spread iso offense before Jordy went down in 15. Seattle was able to squat on our routes and no one could get open. Rodgers couldn't scramble and pick up first downs on his own which further aided Seattles bump and run scheme. if GBs offense used more man beater concepts in that game we probably win it by two+ scores. The same happened in 13 against the Hawks and niners with their defenders being able to shut down our passing game through grab and ***** coverage.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A RG, another body for depth on the online and maybe another WR if none of the young guys are able to step up is really all the offense needs. Outside of maybe the WR all that can be addressed in round 4 or later or a few weeks after the start of FA with 2nd and 3rd tier guys.

Defense however needs 2 Safties (or one Safety and one CB if they decide to move Jackson to the back end), 2-3 OLBs and another ILB to play next to Martinez. Pettine really has been a wizard with what hes had to work with

They need some changes regarding balance on offense say 60 40 pass run and I wager that our pass protection and throw game will go back to normal. On defense I think just a good FS who can play centerfielder would solve most of the problems. Jones is purely an in the box safety, he lacks the instincts to figure out when he needs to drop deep or attack upfield. Stick pure rangy centerfielder behind him and use Josh Jones as an in the box attacking SS where he can attack the edges of an offense and I bet he'd turn into a beast.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3. Again if you're referring to his game as to where he has a lot to prove then fine I agree. But again I'm not gonna sit here and disregard his overall body of work as to how we've gotten ourselves in this situation. Especially when Rodgers has bailed us out time and time again. This season did he play subpar than what we're used to seeing him? He has to play better. But tell me what if he performs and we still lose? Are we seriously going to blame him and say he has a lot to prove? And that it's his fault? C'mon now.

The problem with Rodgers is that he has settled into a style of play that is exceptionally difficult and inherently lacks consistency. If he dialed things back a bit and was willing to A) hand the ball off 40% of the time and B) hit open underneath routes consistently he'd look markedly better out there. Defenses are using a monkey trap approach against Rodgers, stick a piece of meat in a jug. The monkey reaches in grabs it and suddenly can't pull its hand out while holding onto the treat. This is Rodgers trying to force the ball downfield into 2 to 3 deep zones despite uncovered underneath routes.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a film breakdown of Aaron's struggles against deep drop defenses.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

Latest posts