2023 Round 2 pick #50: Jayden Reed WR

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I didn’t watch Reed before the draft and I still haven’t seen much of him. So I’m not here to be his biggest cheerleader.

But in answer to your question, it seems as though some people who study WR play really liked him, e.g. Matt Harmon.

But I think he helped himself a lot at the Sr Bowl. If you go back and read reports, he was one of the most oft mentioned guys winning the week. No one could cover him, from what you read.
I think pretty much everyone in here is with you on the "not scouting" him enough during this Draft season. Reed didn't fit the "profile" of a Packers WR. RAS under 8.0, under 6 ft. tall, less than 200lbs. When I looked at that information, I moved on to the next WR. After they drafted him, we are now looking at what he brings, and are impressed with his skillset, and what he can offer the team moving forward. Reed's stock rose by his performance during Senior Bowl week. Lets face it, that Michigan St team wasn't very good this year, so he didn't have a lot of attention in his favor during the season. Participating at the Senior Bowl was beneficial for him to showcase what he could do, and he made the most of his opportunity.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think you'll find many people who consider Watson and Reed to be anywhere near each other in talent. Watson had great potential but also showed high production in limited touches because run heavy ND ran the the ball a lot. Watson is an elite athlete, Reed isn't in the same building. I think hesitation about picking Reed is well justified. For Watson, whatever questions about him were overshadowed by otherworldly athleticism.

The comp he made was the Senior Bowl was each of their respective chances to prove they can win against consistent high level competition and with competent QBs. I never took anyone or him for saying they were the same profiled player type.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think you'll find many people who consider Watson and Reed to be anywhere near each other in talent. Watson had great potential but also showed high production in limited touches because run heavy ND ran the the ball a lot. Watson is an elite athlete, Reed isn't in the same building. I think hesitation about picking Reed is well justified. For Watson, whatever questions about him were overshadowed by otherworldly athleticism.
Special teams factored with this pick a great deal which has not been our strong suit for quite a while. Look at the last couple seasons. We lose a kickoff returner in one play and we use a punt returner who strength is fumbling. Reed will be more of a Cobb but not a Jordy.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
A quick comment on Reed's production for the sake of perspective:

Reed (2021): 1026 yards, 10 TD; 31%/37% team receiving production
Reed (2022): 636 yards, 5 TD; 22%/23%

Addison (2021): 1593 yards, 17 TD; 34%/39%
Addison (2022): 875 yards, 8 TD; 19%/19%

Individual player stats are typically bound by the offense or defense in which they play. From a percentage standpoint, Reed's production is roughly even with Addison's the last two seasons (despite the incongruence that Addison was playing with much better QB's). It's easy to look at smallish numbers and write a guy off, but it helps to see it in context.

Given that smart WR people really like Reed on tape and that he dominated the senior bowl, I'm optimistic about him. I would also point to the track record of 2nd round WR's for the Packers. They have earned the benefit of the doubt.

Reaction score
The problem with your argument is that Watson did not have a 1,000+/10TD season at the Power 5 level. So to say Christian would’ve kept that trajectory is one thing (small leap). To say Christian would’ve kept the Same pace by extrapolating his target count into the Big 10 Conference is another (huge leap).
The NFL was great evidence of that. As great as he played in his 2022 Rookie season, he didn’t even crack 15 per catch. In college he averaged over 20 yards per

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A quick comment on Reed's production for the sake of perspective:

Reed (2021): 1026 yards, 10 TD; 31%/37% team receiving production
Reed (2022): 636 yards, 5 TD; 22%/23%

Addison (2021): 1593 yards, 17 TD; 34%/39%
Addison (2022): 875 yards, 8 TD; 19%/19%

Individual player stats are typically bound by the offense or defense in which they play. From a percentage standpoint, Reed's production is roughly even with Addison's the last two seasons (despite the incongruence that Addison was playing with much better QB's). It's easy to look at smallish numbers and write a guy off, but it helps to see it in context.

Given that smart WR people really like Reed on tape and that he dominated the senior bowl, I'm optimistic about him. I would also point to the track record of 2nd round WR's for the Packers. They have earned the benefit of the doubt.

Easy now....don't go throwing out reasonable measurements of comparison like this. Makes the torches and pitch-forks not as potent!

D

Deleted member 6794

On the plus side he has good hands and is very competitive.

According to PFF Reed has decent but not great hands. They have listed him with a total of 19 drops on 223 catchable balls in his college career.

From what I have seen, and read, it seems like he will get open. Not to mention, he is very elusive and YAC will be a big part of his game.

Reed averaged 5.9 yards after the catch per reception in college. That's rather average compared to his peers.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You gotta watch his film. MSU system also must be understood.
He didn't test as well as he moves on the field. Somebody in the Wicks thread compared Wicks testing to Adams. But what Reed has is some of what made Adams special - his feet. The ability to beat DBs at the line of scrimmage with his feet. Which is in line with that statistic that Reed beat man and press coverages more than any WR in the draft.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That takes too much work for some, they would rather stick to their predisposed notion of "The pick was a reach, because I had him in the 5th or later."

Personally I don't mind folks thinking a player was a reach, however solely quoting a RAS, or solely quoting a PFF ranking, or solely quoting a ranking of one scout.....doing one of those misses the prospect IMO.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I don't mind folks thinking a player was a reach, however solely quoting a RAS, or solely quoting a PFF ranking, or solely quoting a ranking of one scout.....doing one of those misses the prospect IMO.
Yes, I am guilty. I missed Reed completely. I saw him mocked in the mid 2nd by someone and when I looked up the RAS, I completely dismissed him as a Packer target. When we picked him I actually watched some clips and saw a guy moving on the field better than many prospective WRs with a high RAS.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I am guilty. I missed Reed completely. I saw him mocked in the mid 2nd by someone and when I looked up the RAS, I completely dismissed him as a Packer target. When we picked him I actually watched some clips and saw a guy moving on the field better than many prospective WRs with a high RAS.

I had him on my non-GB list. I still caught wind of how he was the best WR at the Senior Bowl not just in the games, but one-on-ones and such. Dude flat out showcased the MSU structure held down him a lot, however he still was a MASSIVE portion of his teams receiving productions when they did pass (on par with Addison vs USC production).

Reaction score
I thought it was interesting that one Pre-Draft Scouting report compared Reed to Emmanuel Sanders. At the same size, Sanders does/did have a superior athletic profile. Both struggled with some concentration drops
Sanders often won with slightly more pure speed (out of college). He would flat outrun you, but he actually struggled in strength for winning on contested balls.
Reed clearly wins with more contested catches and surprisingly he either maneuvers or outmuscles bigger opponents in press. However many of the contested balls were because he doesn’t quite have that Sanders (elite) level explosion.

Still a good Pro comparison on paper. If we can get anything close to Sanders this will be a A grade draft selection.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

This whole draft was a total failure on Gutes part!!! He did not select one guy that I had on my Amish list!!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to PFF Reed has decent but not great hands. They have listed him with a total of 19 drops on 223 catchable balls in his college career.

Reed averaged 5.9 yards after the catch per reception in college. That's rather average compared to his peers.
I can think of plenty of 3rd downs in 2022 in which 5.9 yards would have moved the chains. But then someone has to get the ball to him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just for the record, I solely posted those numbers from PFF as information. I like that the Packers selected a wide receiver with one of their second round picks. Time will tell if Reed ends up being a good choice.

I can think of plenty of 3rd downs in 2022 in which 5.9 yards would have moved the chains. But then someone has to get the ball to him.

I was replying to another poster mentioning that Reed might be elite creating yards after the catch. Just wanted to point out that didn't happen in college.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An 8.5% drop rate is high for a pro receiver but a lot of young receivers have drop issues. Jordy, James Jones and Adams has butter fingers early in their careers. With coaching they sink or swim because that drop rate will be a ticket off the team. Reed will need to cencentrate on his hands. Time will tell if he's a J'mon Moore or improves like Adams or Jordy.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
It may be average, however there are circumstances that could have effected that number. ( QB play, i.e., placement of passes, type of routes run, along with he's not a big imposing receiver, so maybe isn't as effective at breaking tackles, etc.) Having 4.37 speed, plus as a punt returner he had 3 TD's, and 2 called back in his college career, shows he is elusive. He creates separation right off the line. Even though the college stat you noted says he's average, the potential is definitely in his favor to change that at the next level.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It may be average, however there are circumstances that could have effected that number. ( QB play, i.e., placement of passes, type of routes run, along with he's not a big imposing receiver, so maybe isn't as effective at breaking tackles, etc.) Having 4.37 speed, plus as a punt returner he had 3 TD's, and 2 called back in his college career, shows he is elusive. He creates separation right off the line. Even though the college stat you noted says he's average, the potential is definitely in his favor to change that at the next level.
In other words this is someone who has the potential to make big plays happen. And that is the upside that scouts noticed.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reed's ability to handle press coverage is just down right impressive - the more I watch the more I'm absolutely convinced that ability alone makes tossing his atypical measurables for GB out the door.

I am in no way going to declare a guy something before seeing his time, but all of his tape I've watched speaks to me in the same vein or more as what Cobb's did back in the day. If we can get a Cobb like slot mover...this trio of Watson/Doubs/Reed could be special....mix in if one or more of Toure/Wicks/Dubose/Melton click too that's a SOLID core of guys growing with Love!

Members online

Latest posts