2023 Round 2 pick #50: Jayden Reed WR

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Reed's ability to handle press coverage is just down right impressive - the more I watch the more I'm absolutely convinced that ability alone makes tossing his atypical measurables for GB out the door.

I am in no way going to declare a guy something before seeing his time, but all of his tape I've watched speaks to me in the same vein or more as what Cobb's did back in the day. If we can get a Cobb like slot mover...this trio of Watson/Doubs/Reed could be special....mix in if one or more of Toure/Wicks/Dubose/Melton click too that's a SOLID core of guys growing with Love!
Yup and then add in Musgrave and Kraft and you got a nice young corp group of guys to learn together with their QB, who will be doing the same. Some rough patches in the early going are bound to happen, but I see a bright future. Would have loved to have seen Gute grab TE Zack Kuntz in the 6th round, instead of K Anders Carlson, but oh well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup and then add in Musgrave and Kraft and you got a nice young corp group of guys to learn together with their QB, who will be doing the same. Some rough patches in the early going are bound to happen, but I see a bright future. Would have loved to have seen Gute grab TE Zack Kuntz in the 6th round, instead of K Anders Carlson, but oh well.

Eh another TE to this group wouldn't have made sense IMO at that point, but especially not a Kuntz type...now a future Deguara Hback style replacement I could have seen the case for...but I prefer the route they went and brought in McDonald from FSU - who I really like the long term projection of him.

Reaction score
Many of my Interactive Mocks had me trading back and missing on Musgrave, Mayer, Washington, Kincaid. However I often paired Kraft and Kuntz or Kraft and Schoonmaker.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Many of my Interactive Mocks had me trading back and missing on Musgrave, Mayer, Washington, Kincaid. However I often paired Kraft and Kuntz or Kraft and Schoonmaker.
I think Kuntz has the potential to be a big steal for the Jets in the 7th. He is pretty raw, but a huge upside if he pans out.

Reaction score
I think Kuntz has the potential to be a big steal for the Jets in the 7th. He is pretty raw, but a huge upside if he pans out.
I was taking him in the 4th/5th but admittedly mostly for his athletic upside. At Round 7 that’s a really easy selection and an absolute steal as he’s a top 150-200 imo.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was taking him in the 4th/5th but admittedly mostly for his athletic upside. At Round 7 that’s a really easy selection and an absolute steal as he’s a top 150-200 imo.
If it wasn't for his dislocated kneecap in 2022, I think he goes much higher. The Jets seem to like what they got, but yeah, he is pretty raw for sure.

D

Deleted member 6794

It may be average, however there are circumstances that could have effected that number. ( QB play, i.e., placement of passes, type of routes run, along with he's not a big imposing receiver, so maybe isn't as effective at breaking tackles, etc.) Having 4.37 speed, plus as a punt returner he had 3 TD's, and 2 called back in his college career, shows he is elusive. He creates separation right off the line. Even though the college stat you noted says he's average, the potential is definitely in his favor to change that at the next level.

I solely posted that number for informative purposes. It's entirely possible Reed will improve upon that number at the pro level but he wasn't actually impressive in that regard during his college career.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Watch the time on the screen when he crosses the line. 4.45 was so wrong. This kid is crazy fast.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah you're right, looks like hes a 4.3 guy

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230510_124727_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230510_124727_Chrome.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 80
Reaction score
I did not photoshop this. Go watch the Run on YouTube and freeze it when he gets to his 10yard and 40yrs splits.

Makes me seriously wonder if GB clocked him and knew it was a recording error.

Attachments

• 8CDA215E-B1E7-4E42-B242-00C4C57ADDDC.jpeg
    8CDA215E-B1E7-4E42-B242-00C4C57ADDDC.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 74

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did not photoshop this. Go watch the Run on YouTube and freeze it when he gets to his 10yard and 40yrs split.
Is the time on the screen the actual time? Or is that someone in the studio hitting the button? I believe the timing system is electronically triggered at start and electronically triggered at the finish. I am certain that Jayden, his family, and his agent would be all over this if it was an error

Reaction score
Is the time on the screen the actual time? Or is that someone in the studio hitting the button? I believe the timing system is electronically triggered at start and electronically triggered at the finish. I am certain that Jayden, his family, and his agent would be all over this if it was an error
That’s what I don’t know. Also it appeared in that video, he false started by a few hundredths. Photo to follow Just my opinion that clock should be more like .12 there off the blocks. but I’m no expert in just offering what I’m seeing from replay

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would like to see Jayden on those overlapping videos with other runners. He sure looks faster than his official time. He also looks effortless in his running style.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I did not photoshop this. Go watch the Run on YouTube and freeze it when he gets to his 10yard and 40yrs splits.

Makes me seriously wonder if GB clocked him and knew it was a recording error.
Frame by frame at the start and you can see he had almost a full step in before the clock left 0:00. Don't know at what point the clock starts.

Reaction score
Would like to see Jayden on those overlapping videos with other runners. He sure looks faster than his official time. He also looks effortless in his running style.
Like there’s no way he ran a sub 1.4 10 yard. Metcalf ran a 1.45. Dude 1.39 would be an NFL record

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we can agree that he's definitely faster than his clocked time. And I'm willing to bet his agent did go to bat for him, cranking his value into the 2nd round given his speed and senior bowl performance. Excited to see this kid play, hopefully he crushes it in the slot.

Reaction score
I think we can agree that he's definitely faster than his clocked time. And I'm willing to bet his agent did go to bat for him, cranking his value into the 2nd round given his speed and senior bowl performance. Excited to see this kid play, hopefully he crushes it in the slot.
That’s the thing. 4.45 is pretty fast to begin with so speed is not a problem with this Kid. I think it’s plausible he could be a smidge faster than his Combine. Some guys don’t run their best until they are in pads and cleats anyway.

Reaction score
So he took 3 seconds to run the last 30 yards. Is that good enough to not get caught?
idk. I’m just going with his 4.45 time.

He’s plenty fast on tape though. I like the idea of having a guy that can outrun Lee Majors though ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Watch the time on the screen when he crosses the line. 4.45 was so wrong. This kid is crazy fast.

I ran along side him at home and clocked us both at 4.29....but I was just running to the bathroom! :coffee:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the timing is off, is it off for everybody else? Would the league and players put up with a faulty timing system? 40 times are a big deal. Differences of a tenth of second can impact draft position and potentially millions of dollars in salary. I would think Reed and his agent would demand a rerun if the system was faulty.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There have been 21 drafted rookie WRs put up yards through the air this year.

Jayden Reed presently has 85 and is 7th on that list. He is ahead of a few guys before him many will recognize like Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Jonathan Mingo and Quentin Johnston.

The list of guys ahead of him drafted later don't surprise me one bit truthfully:

Puka is lighting it up due to LAR's injury issues with 266 yards.
Marvin Mims is doing very similar to Reed truthfully with 122 yards.
Tank Dell at 106 and my boy Jalin Hyatt at 89.

Reed has proven quickly he is 100% NFL worthy and he and Love seem to have a connection.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There have been 21 drafted rookie WRs put up yards through the air this year.

Jayden Reed presently has 85 and is 7th on that list. He is ahead of a few guys before him many will recognize like Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Jonathan Mingo and Quentin Johnston.

The list of guys ahead of him drafted later don't surprise me one bit truthfully:

Puka is lighting it up due to LAR's injury issues with 266 yards.
Marvin Mims is doing very similar to Reed truthfully with 122 yards.
Tank Dell at 106 and my boy Jalin Hyatt at 89.

Reed has proven quickly he is 100% NFL worthy and he and Love seem to have a connection.
I will gladly admit that Reed was not on my radar for the Packers, but he is exactly what the team needed. Lazard was a very good blocking slot, but I really was never overly impressed with him as a WR. That isn't to say he was bad, just not that impressed. Anyway, this young receiving group, along with Love, is exactly what has me excited about the future of this offense. They have just begun and IMO, their ceiling, as a group, could be very high.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a nephew in Michigan State who is a very big Packer Backer. He did not know if Reed would be any good due to MS not having good QBing. He sure does look good. Very quick and know how to use it and has good hands. Good job by Gute and whichever scout pushed for him.

Reaction score
We’re operating as the youngest Roster (by a mile) at QB/WR/TE career snaps. Yet we can see if we’re playing clean ball we’re every bit a middle of the league + type team. It’s not a stretch to think this group will take leaps over the next 2-3 years of mostly Rookie contracts.
Just like what Dante and others have mentioned, a key sign to ceiling is earlier development or players that adapt to their environment rather quickly (Reed is an ideal example)

In the meantime we need to focus on staying out of our own way

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts