Post-Rodgers Era...Mock Draft 2-13-2023

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone knows - no one knows for sure - two routes lay before us. One with and one without Rodgers....in this mock draft we live in the world where we sadly enter the post-Rodgers era in Green Bay.

There is a limited number of teams that a QB like Rodgers truly pushes them straight into playoff contenders and more. Jets being one with arguably the best young roster is where I'll do the trade for this hypothetical.

In that trade I still believe we get less than most but are willing to take less in future for more now:

Jets send us 1.13 and 2.43 this year + a 4th next year that can conditionally elevate to a 1st + we get young prospects Denzel Mims WR and Jeremy Ruckert TE.
Packers send Aaron Rodgers and the last of our multiple 7th rounders projected due to comp picks.

So we enter the draft with 1.13, 1.15, 2.43, 2.45, 3.78, 4.116, 5.151, 5.171, 7.234, 7.237 and 7.244

Not messing with trades and such as it can just get nuts and desire to do tons.

1.13 - You draft prospects not needs still ultimately wins out for Gute at this pick and we hear a name not many will be happy about from a positional spot. Christian Gonzalez CB out of Oregon is coming to Green Bay and arguably is one of the best three CBs in this draft - some say CB1. On the surface this seems crazy since we just signed Jaire to a long term deal, Stokes played very well his rookie year and was hurt last year, Rasul was signed and is here too....but what Christian does is instantly provide DB flexibility that we've never had in GB arguably ever. Rasul to safety is an option...moving Jaire around literally anywhere is an option...Christian is a bonafide stud on the outside or the inside...has the size/length to match up with bigger threats and the length and quickness to match up with the speed threats. Doesn't shy away from open field tackling either...bonafide first round graded prospect comes to GB right off the bat.

1.15 - Again...you draft prospects not needs....while this player is facing a room possibly returning not just all the starters but the first back up starter that saw time in 2022 as well...BUT again often times you draft prospects not needs - Peter Skoronski OT from Northwestern is there for the picking and is bonafide top 3 OL in this draft and a rush on edge/QB along with Carter/Bresee cause Skoronski to be one sitting there. Just a massively high level floor type guy who could wind up being an All Pro tackle in his rookie deal...yes I see a slightly higher ceiling with Broderick Jones and Paris Johnson - but Skoronski arguably does have the highest floor out of the three and would instantly walk in and truly make us have to find a spot for him....does that mean Yosh actually may get tendered and be a reserve.....Tom has to compete at guard or center even....I don't care but that OL room has to be better regardless of who we have at QB but especially if we want Love's growing pains in his first year to not kill him.

2.43 Jalin Hyatt WR Tennessee....what is the best way to showcase Watson's versatility and deep threat nature....or allow Doubs to continue to grow into what he showcased? Get another true home run type WR that can routinely win in the slot and also if lined up outside. This young man is aiming and many believe he will do it - run a 4.2 something at the combine. What this young man did to elite defenses in Alabama and Georgia was special...don't let the fact most of his work was out of the slot worry you - this cat has the route ability and the footwork to beat his man regardless of where he lines up against him.

2.45 Darnell Washington TE Georgia...so here is the first guy IMO that shouldn't be here...BUT a big factor in whether Darnell makes it to mid-second round depends less on him as a prospect but how the teams rate Luke Musgrave and Dalton Kincaid (rumored medical issues possibly). Darnell could be the second TE off the board or the 4th/5th (Tucker Kraft may sneak there). In this situation he is there and at this point one could argue Gute has the perfect intersection of need and prospect hit each other.

3.78 Quite possibly the second best intersection of need and prospect happens here in the third....now all that probably won't matter as 3rd round guys are cursed here in GB...BUT most of those busts have been offensive guys - let's see if Isaiah Foskey EDGE from Notre Dame can change all that. Foskey is the perfect example of a VERY high floor type prospect whose ceiling is what is keeping him out of a higher slot. He is for sure a top 100 prospect, but many have grown to question if he's a top 50. Very tough to guess where he may go, but if he is there in the third and Gute hasn't called an edge there are very few if any possibly with more plug and play potential than Foskey. Gary most likely won't be full speed by beginning of the season and while I loved what Kingsley showed us, and Hollins even I want to keep pumping potentials into this room.

4.116 Gute sends a message to guys like Newman, Runyan and Myers (even Tom to an extent).....no job is safe here and last year's lack of performance will NOT repeat. Jaelyn Duncan is an excellent starting Tackle prospect from Maryland - who slimmed down a touch for the Senior Bowl measuring in at 6054 and 298lbs. I see him being asked to take on any position really but center - as he showcased strength and ability to move inside in reps at the bowl practices. We may have the luxury of keeping him inside, but a lot of that may depend more on where we think Tom is going to wash out at and if Bakh is still here. Trenches win games come the playoffs - Gute doubles down in the first 125 on the one side of the ball....

5.151 Speaking of doubling down in the trenches...Gute does it twice again adding another guy along the defensive front in Jalen Redmond iDL from Oklahoma. This is a prospect many are mixed on - some will see only his immense upside and BIG flash games, while others see when he seemingly disappeared for the Sooners. Truthfully that is the precise reason why I think the 4th-6th round is where this man finds himself being picked. Lowry and Reed are no longer under contract, yes Wyatt came on strong at the end and Slaton looked like a new man too...but reinforcements are needed even if Reed is signed back like many have hinted the GB staff desires to do so.

5.171 Trey Dean S from Florida hears his name called....Safety is a position with Amos leaving and Savage regressing that truthfully needs answered....now of course that could be partially answered with Christian added to the team, but Dean offers a unique history of playing corner, safety and even rover/linebacker role in his time with the Gators. At 6'3' and over 200 lbs, his frame allows him to fill holes and strength allows him to fight and hold them more than some would think. He is a hot motor, which can overcommit and read wrong....if refinement happens watch out as he could be special.

7.234 Devonnsha Maxwell DL Chattanooga...this is an awesome small school prospect that I'm quite high on and personally will feel it is not right he is there this late, HOWEVER pushing my small school spotlight infatuation aside he is precisely the type of guy that could be there for sure here. 6'2' and under 300 pounds he is a bit of that lighter DE type guy that has juice and excels at creating pressures - he needs a lot of refined work on processing and holding his responsibilties in the run game, but I could easily see him as a stash on PS or a guy that could serve as a 5-10 snap a game type for breathers his first year. Again Reed/Lowry both gone and Jonathan Ford isn't worthy of not being given competition.

7.37 Ryan Greenhagen LB Fordham....call it my small school prospect run but Greenhagen is another one I love more than most. If this young man gets his hands on you, it is rarer than a unicorn that you get further...and if you do he will not have let go. A tackling machine he accumulated over 100 tackles in literally just 5 games last season and now fully healthy I expect he showcases above average (not elite) measurements and sneaks into the draft. Barnes may not be back and depth at ILB is always worth throwing a dart at.

7.244 I had two forms of thoughts here....could go long term low chance dart at QB....or just load up the trenches which is usually my go to...but with Aaron Jones contract how it is, AJ Dillon the kind of runner he is and Patrick Taylor not showing any hint of being higher than a RB3...I want to see if between this pick and Tyler Goodson we have a potential RB2 of the future. Evan Hull from Northwestern is Mr. Consistent and honestly there were times at the Senior Bowl as the latest example he looked like the absolute best offensive weapon on the field. I do concede, RBs are tough to predict, but this is the longest shot to realistically happen of this entire draft. Evan could easily hear his name called before the end of the 5th...but when talking Day 3s this isn't unreasonable to imagine.

In the end IMO the first three picks are more prospect > need type picks which I know many don't like...but strongly believe that is the best way to build a franchise generally (I have examples where it is so stupid to do so too).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Everyone knows - no one knows for sure - two routes lay before us. One with and one without Rodgers....in this mock draft we live in the world where we sadly enter the post-Rodgers era in Green Bay.

There is a limited number of teams that a QB like Rodgers truly pushes them straight into playoff contenders and more. Jets being one with arguably the best young roster is where I'll do the trade for this hypothetical.

In that trade I still believe we get less than most but are willing to take less in future for more now:

Jets send us 1.13 and 2.43 this year + a 4th next year that can conditionally elevate to a 1st + we get young prospects Denzel Mims WR and Jeremy Ruckert TE.
Packers send Aaron Rodgers and the last of our multiple 7th rounders projected due to comp picks.

So we enter the draft with 1.13, 1.15, 2.43, 2.45, 3.78, 4.116, 5.151, 5.171, 7.234, 7.237 and 7.244

1.13 - You draft prospects not needs still ultimately wins out for Gute at this pick and we hear a name not many will be happy about from a positional spot. Christian Gonzalez CB out of Oregon is coming to Green Bay and arguably is one of the best three CBs in this draft - some say CB1. On the surface this seems crazy since we just signed Jaire to a long term deal, Stokes played very well his rookie year and was hurt last year, Rasul was signed and is here too....but what Christian does is instantly provide DB flexibility that we've never had in GB arguably ever. Rasul to safety is an option...moving Jaire around literally anywhere is an option...Christian is a bonafide stud on the outside or the inside...has the size/length to match up with bigger threats and the length and quickness to match up with the speed threats. Doesn't shy away from open field tackling either...bonafide first round graded prospect comes to GB right off the bat.

1.15 - Again...you draft prospects not needs....while this player is facing a room possibly returning not just all the starters but the first back up starter that saw time in 2022 as well...BUT again often times you draft prospects not needs - Peter Skoronski OT from Northwestern is there for the picking and is bonafide top 3 OL in this draft and a rush on edge/QB along with Carter/Bresee cause Skoronski to be one sitting there. Just a massively high level floor type guy who could wind up being an All Pro tackle in his rookie deal...yes I see a slightly higher ceiling with Broderick Jones and Paris Johnson - but Skoronski arguably does have the highest floor out of the three and would instantly walk in and truly make us have to find a spot for him....does that mean Yosh actually may get tendered and be a reserve.....Tom has to compete at guard or center even....I don't care but that OL room has to be better regardless of who we have at QB but especially if we want Love's growing pains in his first year to not kill him.

2.43 Jalin Hyatt WR Tennessee....what is the best way to showcase Watson's versatility and deep threat nature....or allow Doubs to continue to grow into what he showcased? Get another true home run type WR that can routinely win in the slot and also if lined up outside. This young man is aiming and many believe he will do it - run a 4.2 something at the combine. What this young man did to elite defenses in Alabama and Georgia was special...don't let the fact most of his work was out of the slot - this cat has the route ability and the footwork to beat his man regardless of where he lines up against him.

2.45 Darnell Washington TE Georgia...so here is the first guy IMO that shouldn't be here...BUT a big factor in whether Darnell makes it to mid-second round depends less on him as a prospect but how the teams rate Luke Musgrave and Dalton Kincaid (rumored medical issues possibly). Darnell could be the second TE off the board or the 4th/5th (Tucker Kraft may sneak there). In this situation he is there and at this point one could argue Gute has the perfect intersection of need and prospect hit each other.

3.78 Quite possibly the second best intersection of need and prospect happens here in the third....now all that probably won't matter as 3rd round guys are cursed here in GB...BUT most of those busts have been offensive guys - let's see if Isaiah Foskey EDGE from Notre Dame can change all that. Foskey is the perfect example of a VERY high floor type prospect whose ceiling is what is keeping him out of a higher slot. He is for sure a top 100 prospect, but many have grown to question if he's a top 50. Very tough to guess where he may go, but if he is there in the third and Gute hasn't called an edge there are very few if any possibly with more plug and play potential than Foskey. Gary most likely won't be full speed by beginning of the season and while I loved what Kingsley showed us, and Hollins even I want to keep pumping potentials into this room.

4.116 Gute sends a message to guys like Newman, Runyan and Myers (even Tom to an extent).....no job is safe here and last year's lack of performance will NOT repeat. Jaelyn Duncan is an excellent starting Tackle prospect from Maryland - who slimmed down a touch for the Senior Bowl measuring in at 6054 and 298lbs. I see him being asked to take on any position really but center - as he showcased strength and ability to move inside in reps at the bowl practices. We may have the luxury of keeping him inside, but a lot of that may depend more on where we think Tom is going to wash out at and if Bakh is still here. Trenches win games come the playoffs - Gute doubles down in the first 125 on the one side of the ball....

5.151 Speaking of doubling down in the trenches...Gute does it twice again adding another guy along the defensive front in Jalen Redmond iDL from Oklahoma. This is a prospect many are mixed on - some will see only his immense upside and BIG flash games, while others see when he seemingly disappeared for the Sooners. Truthfully that is the precise reason why I think the 4th-6th round is where this man finds himself being picked. Lowry and Reed are no longer under contract, yes Wyatt came on strong at the end and Slaton looked like a new man too...but reinforcements are needed even if Reed is signed back like many have hinted the GB staff desires to do so.

5.171 Trey Dean S from Florida hears his name called....Safety is a position with Amos leaving and Savage regressing that truthfully needs answered....now of course that could be partially answered with Christian added to the team, but Dean offers a unique history of playing corner, safety and even rover/linebacker role in his time with the Gators. At 6'3' and over 200 lbs, his frame allows him to fill holes and strength allows him to fight and hold them more than some would think. He is a hot motor, which can overcommit and read wrong....if refinement happens watch out as he could be special.

7.234 Devonnsha Maxwell DL Chattanooga...this is an awesome small school prospect that I'm quite high on and personally will feel it is not right he is there this late, HOWEVER pushing my small school spotlight infatuation aside he is precisely the type of guy that could be there for sure here. 6'2' and under 300 pounds he is a bit of that lighter DE type guy that has juice and excels at creating pressures - he needs a lot of refined work on processing and holding his responsibilties in the run game, but I could easily see him as a stash on PS or a guy that could serve as a 5-10 snap a game type for breathers his first year. Again Reed/Lowry both gone and Jonathan Ford isn't worthy of not being given competition.

7.37 Ryan Greenhagen LB Fordham....call it my small school prospect run but Greenhagen is another one I love more than most. If this young man gets his hands on you, it is rarer than a unicorn that you get further...and if you do he will not have let go. A tackling machine he accumulated over 100 tackles in literally just 5 games last season and now fully healthy I expect he showcases above average (not elite) measurements and sneaks into the draft. Barnes may not be back and depth at ILB is always worth throwing a dart at.

7.244 I had two forms of thoughts here....could go long term low chance dart at QB....or just load up the trenches which is usually my go to...but with Aaron Jones contract how it is, AJ Dillon the kind of runner he is and Patrick Taylor not showing any hint of being higher than a RB3...I want to see if between this pick and Tyler Goodson we have a potential RB2 of the future. Evan Hull from Northwestern is Mr. Consistent and honestly there were times at the Senior Bowl as the latest example he looked like the absolute best offensive weapon on the field. I do concede, RBs are tough to predict, but this is the longest shot to realistically happen of this entire draft. Evan could easily hear his name called before the end of the 5th...but when talking Day 3s this isn't unreasonable to imagine.

In the end IMO the first three picks are more prospect > need type picks which I know many don't like...but strongly believe that is the best way to build a franchise generally (I have examples where it is so stupid to do so too).
IF we have 2 Day 1 selections I’d be totally ok with a CB. As long as we believe Gonzalez is at or better than a #13 overall grade. This does 3 things
1. It gives a truly dominant CB room as Stokes is likely our CB3
2. It gives us flexibility in a contingency if a CB goes down.
3. It allows us to deprioritize Safety from a 1st-2nd round area to 3rd-6th rounds, as you displayed and Consequently allows us to lock another starting caliber OL or DL early in and without blinking.

I love Darnell. I think he’s essentially a young version of Marcedes. He may not be a 1,000+ guy, but I think he can be a 700+ yard guy receiving ceiling AND offer that meannes in the blocking sector. He looks mad when he blocks and must be related to Mean Joe Greene!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF we have 2 Day 1 selections I’d be totally ok with a CB. As long as we believe Gonzalez is at or better than a #13 overall grade. This does 3 things
3. It allows us to deprioritize Safety from a 1st-2nd round area to 3rd-6th rounds, as you displayed and Consequently allows us to lock another starting caliber OL or DL early in and without blinking.

I love Darnell. I think he’s essentially a young version of Marcedes. He may not be a 1,000+ guy, but I think he can be a 700+ yard guy receiving ceiling AND offer that meannes in the blocking sector. He looks mad when he blocks and must be related to Mean Joe Greene!
Darnell is a beast. It truly is a question of how quickly can he assimilate to the next level - physically there is zero question he is capable and can play with the NFL level.

Reaction score
Darnell is a beast. It truly is a question of how quickly can he assimilate to the next level - physically there is zero question he is capable and can play with the NFL level.
Yep. I noticed he seems to welcome contested catches and win with natural power and good hands.
That speaks to me as someone who has good concentration skills and has the muscle to compete with faster, stronger NFL players. In college, Washington was very difficult to Run down. Obviously some of those guys were lesser opponents physicality wise. In the NFL it’s the best of the best, but his calling card is his size and his mean playing demeanor.
He’s surprisingly nimble for 6’6.5” and he can be a relative YAC threat as he motors through people like a hot Big Foot through soft butter.

If we were to get Both Skoronski AND Washington? we’d get some serious push upfront and I think you’d see our per carry Rushing yards elevate. From the scouting reports On Skoronski, he’s the most “NFL ready” OL in this draft. They seem to think he’s a plug n play in his Rookie season. It certainly doesn’t hurt to have extra competition there and have a deep bench.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. I noticed he seems to welcome contested catches. That speaks to me as someone who has good concentration skills and has the muscle to compete with faster, stronger NFL players. In college, Washington was very difficult to Run down. Obviously some of those guys were lesser opponents from a physicality. In the NFL it’s the best of the best, but his calling card is his size and his mean playing demeanor.
He’s surprisingly nimble for 6’6+ and he can be a relative YAC threat as he motors through people like Big Foot.

For sure - Mayer is a better route runner and diagnoser of the zone coverages to find the soft spot, but Darnel isn't terrible....you get lazy assuming he's blocking and those short slips to Marcedes that would get four yards are fourteen with Washington.

Reaction score
For sure - Mayer is a better route runner and diagnoser of the zone coverages to find the soft spot, but Darnel isn't terrible....you get lazy assuming he's blocking and those short slips to Marcedes that would get four yards are fourteen with Washington.
True Washington is deceptively quick. He’s used quite a bit as a blocker but like you said just when you don’t account he burns you up the seam.

I know you didn’t want to involve trades which is fine. That said I think it’s safe to say Love will need a year in the Active Offense to thrive. If we could perfect a trade like we did in the 2018 draft, meaning keep our natural #15, but use the #13 to garner future trade capital that would be wise. Last time we gyrated back and forth into a late Round 1 selection but picked up a future Day 1 selection in the process. If I recall correctly, then we packaged and moved back up to #17 overall to get J’aire + a future 1st rounder. I believe giving up a 3rd Rounder etc.?

Anyways. If a #13 overall allows us to pick up a 2024 Day 1 selection, but we give up a 2023 Round 4 area this year? I’d do that if we csn pick in the later teens again in 2023. If we end up drafting in the top half again next year and have a two 1st Rounders, we can move up and get a dynamic top 3-4 overall player next season.

It would probably look similar to this
#15, #19, #43, #45, #78, #151, #171 etc.

#8, #23, #40, #73, #110, etc..

That’s the kinda capital that moves us into a top 3 overall selection give or take. Possibly packaging 1 more later selection, but it’s an area you can get the #1-2 QB or #1 player at just about any other position we want. Meaning, as a comparable you were getting a #3 overall this season and you got your 1st pick of any NON QB? Jalen Carter or Will Anderson? You can similarly take your pick next season. I think it’s worth backing up 6 spots and trading a 4th

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True Washington is deceptively quick. He’s used quite a bit as a blocker but like you said just when you don’t account he burns you up the seam.

I know you didn’t want to involve trades which is fine. That said I think it’s safe to say Love will need a year in the Active Offense to thrive. If we could perfect a trade like we did in the 2018 draft, meaning keep our natural #15, but use the #13 to garner future trade capital that would be wise. Last time we gyrated back and forth into a late Round 1 selection but picked up a future Day 1 selection in the process. If I recall correctly, then we packaged and moved back up to #17 overall to get J’aire + a future 1st rounder. I believe giving up a 3rd Rounder etc.?

Anyways. If a #13 overall allows us to pick up a 2024 Day 1 selection, but we give up a 2023 Round 4 area this year? I’d do that if we csn pick in the later teens again in 2023. If we end up drafting in the top half again next year and have a two 1st Rounders, we can move up and get a dynamic top 3-4 overall player next season.

It would probably look similar to this
#15, #19, #43, #45, #78, #151, #171 etc.

#8, #23, #40, #73, #110, etc..

That’s the kinda capital that moves us into a top 3 overall selection give or take. Possibly packaging 1 more later selection, but it’s an area you can get the #1-2 QB or #1 player at just about any other position we want. Meaning, as a comparable you were getting a #3 overall this season and you got your 1st pick of any NON QB? Jalen Carter or Will Anderson? You can similarly take your pick next season. I think it’s worth backing up 6 spots and trading a 4th

If we have the luxury of two firsts I personally would prefer to trade back. I don’t care if it is deep in the last five picks of the first or even first four in the second or so if it also brings with it a high 2024 pick. I believe the second round prospects are deep in this draft with for me a limited number of true first round prospects so I’d honestly prefer that route.

Add in if Love fails you have a TON of picks to move in 2024 or a ton of picks to build cheaply around him if he proves he can be a starter

Reaction score
If we have the luxury of two firsts I personally would prefer to trade back. I don’t care if it is deep in the last five picks of the first or even first four in the second or so if it also brings with it a high 2024 pick. I believe the second round prospects are deep in this draft with for me a limited number of true first round prospects so I’d honestly prefer that route.

Add in if Love fails you have a TON of picks to move in 2024 or a ton of picks to build cheaply around him if he proves he can be a starter
That’s what I’m thinking.

We’ve also been pretty efficient selecting players in the teens. So a #15, #19 vs #13,#15 doesn’t really scare me. It seems like once we get past the top 20-25 we start to see a dropoff in success rates. In the draft teens those are generally pretty reliable stabs. You get another Rashan Gary or J’aire type or add a CeeDee Lamb WR

As you said. IF Love works out you might be picking at worst mid-draft in ‘24?
Even a 8-9 or 9-8 record for Love would be a huge sign of success.

I like your draft though. Not to take away from your ideas but to expound upon them through a balanced 2 season draft attack. We may also see some nice Day 3 comp picks if any players we left go start for another team.

On the flip side Love crashes n burns. We’d get a top 5 type draft selection plus have lots of draft capital with an extra Day1. I just think it’s time to move on. For me missing the playoffs was a big sign that says take a small step back and mini rebuild

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s what I’m thinking.

We’ve also been pretty efficient selecting players in the teens. So a #15, #19 vs #13,#15 doesn’t really scare me. It seems like once we get past the top 20-25 we start to see a dropoff in success rates. In the draft teens those are generally pretty reliable stabs. You get another Rashan Gary or J’aire type or add a CeeDee Lamb WR

As you said. IF Love works out you might he picking what? mid draft? So then you’ve got at worst
Even a 8-9 or 9-8 record for Love would be a huge sign of success.

I like your draft though. Not to take away. But moreso to balance the
2-back to back drafts in coordinated fashion to give you TWO consecutive drafts similar to this scenario.

Yup, the one issue is I personally don’t view any QB that may fall to #13 getting any team so excited to trade for us…more likely is someone trying to grab the guy they have christened the offensive weapon worthy of the pick and equity or perhaps if their Edge2 falls or CB1. I just don’t see a ton of equity coming back our way possibly…all depends. Does a team like Chiefs want to add say Bijan bad enough or perhaps the Eagles in a similar vein.

Does Addison or Quentin Johnston actually get a high first round grade enough for someone to justify?

D

Deleted member 6794

I just think it’s time to move on. For me missing the playoffs was a big sign that says take a small step back and mini rebuild

I'm afraid the Packers will take a much, much larger step back than a small one by moving on from Rodgers.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Y'know what terrifies me? Gute drafting Bijan Robinson in the first. We already know that Gute doesn't mind wasting high round draft picks on the running back position and, while I think Robinson will be very good, I don't think Gute has learned his lesson after drafting a backup RB in the second round.

FYI, as of now, my preferences in the first round would be a trade down and then draft Musgrave (TE), Hyatt (WR), Torrence (OG), or Smith-Njigba (WR) later in the first.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
My first mock draft at PFF. Critiques welcomed.

March 15

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

March 15

eb

Excellent, and illustrates two specific guys I personally think PFF has failed miserably at with their rankings. Ojukwu is an excellent OT prospect, and I have a 5th nearly 4th round grade on him personally. He is 6'6' around 310lbs and the dude has massive mittens at 10.75 inch hands and 34 inch arms...with multiple years as Boise's steadfast LT starter (over 3,500 snaps)..while not a long range guy his quick twitch/burst and hands are a tough thing to handle for the opposition lined up against him. His first two years he was a RT, so if we would need to run him on right side it is not a foreign stance/footwork like it is to some. He is very aggressive in run plays, and will absolutely try to bury his opponent if at all possible. His base/leverage at his height is really the one thing which will need refinement and with that his anchor will get that much stronger. I won't say he won't be available in the 7th but I will say I'll be shocked if he is.

The other is believe it or not Adebawore - this man is straight up a BEAST. He can be a big outside tackle OLB type or put him over a tackle and he thrives as well...fact is he is just an ELITE physical specimen but on top of that he has tape to back up he knows what to do with it. But seriously folks we are talking about a 282lb DE/DT type guy running a FREAKING 4.49 forty....folks that is faster than many WR prospects (even some ELITE HOF WRs). He jumped 37.5 inches...broad jumped over 10...benched 27 times....IMO I wouldn't even be upset if Gute nabbed him in the first if our scouts believe he is as special as his tape and measurables seem to think. Personally I have him in the 30s with a borderline first grade nearly.

On the whole I like the draft for sure as I think Ojukwu is a MASSIVE steal. Bell is a SOLID WR that I think is a WR4 out the gate type even as a rookie on any team, Conner is an OOBER athletic safety prospect that has Green Bay tendencies written all over him and I think good chance he makes it to Day 3 which is a big return potentially on lower pick. O'Connell is a fighter and a gamer...he will NEVER be a starter unless out of necessity but the dude will fight and will some wins if called upon - he can sling it, but his best trait is his will to win and stand in the pocket taking a hit if needed.

My critique is simply way too many safety type guys...liked to have seen one of them be if you want to stay in secondary get a boundary corner with maybe some length or a style that could be a safety as well....also I love JSN and I think he would pair greatly with Watson/Doubs but I just have most likely a ton of prospects for sure higher than him at 15 personally - BUT I get the pick and like say the Dillon pick, my disagreement wouldn't make me not excited because there is a LOT to like there in JSN.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Admittedly I don't know every player in the draft. I like more than half of the guys selected. IMO Jax would not give up that much in a trade.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
So we have a need at TE and you didn't get one until R7? (Everyone knows and history proves Gutes 3rd picks suck.
Always pick the best prospect available that fits the Packers. I've always had problems with these mocks when I tried to match a position and round.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

2.43 Jalin Hyatt WR Tennessee....what is the best way to showcase Watson's versatility and deep threat nature....or allow Doubs to continue to grow into what he showcased? Get another true home run type WR that can routinely win in the slot and also if lined up outside. This young man is aiming and many believe he will do it - run a 4.2 something at the combine. What this young man did to elite defenses in Alabama and Georgia was special...don't let the fact most of his work was out of the slot worry you - this cat has the route ability and the footwork to beat his man regardless of where he lines up against him.

I honestly think Washington is going to go a lot higher than people expect. Christian Gonzalez probably has the highest ceiling of any corner in the draft, but if we go this direction, I really want to go with an aggressive tackler to compliment Jaire and Stokes who could potentially fill a roll at safety. Give me Witherspoon over Gonzalez if we have the choice.

I know the Packers are rumored to be high on Hyatt and I can't complain about where we get him and Washington if it shakes out this way.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly think Washington is going to go a lot higher than people expect. Christian Gonzalez probably has the highest ceiling of any corner in the draft, but if we go this direction, I really want to go with an aggressive tackler to compliment Jaire and Stokes who could potentially fill a roll at safety. Give me Witherspoon over Gonzalez if we have the choice.

I know the Packers are rumored to be high on Hyatt and I can't complain about where we get him and Washington if it shakes out this way.
Yup this post is month ago and I hadn’t even looked through all tapes of everyone I have since gotten to. Darnell is less than forty percent likely to fall to there and even more unlikely IMO is Duncan making it to where he did in this mock.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

March 15

Like the first three rounds of this for sure. Kraft is a sleeper of mine, JSN would be game changing at slot if we forgo our size stipulations, and the potential of Ade makes me drool. Ibrahim is super underrated too and if we grab him in the 7th, I'm stoked!

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup this post is month ago and I hadn’t even looked through all tapes of everyone I have since gotten to. Darnell is less than forty percent likely to fall to there and even more unlikely IMO is Duncan making it to where he did in this mock.
I'm an idiot, I didn't look at the post date. My apologies

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So now if it is the Love era who do we seek for a backup? Do we go after a veteran if Love gets hurt or another August no name?

Reaction score
So now if it is the Love era who do we seek for a backup? Do we go after a veteran if Love gets hurt or another August no name?
We will likely get some good draft resources if this trade ever goes through, which I think it will eventually.
The route I would take is signing a low priced veteran and using a Day 3 selection on another All-Mountain West selection by the name of Jake Haener as our option 3

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts