2023 Round 2 pick #50: Jayden Reed WR

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whst round is this? Did anybody have him projected as a second round pick.I never recall ever seeing his name in any top 100 picks. Reminds me of the Josuah Deguara pick in 2020.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Naperville kid that started at WMU-if he could be something between Cobb/Steve Smith Sr. that'd be a great pick. Runs 4.4 and can make contested catches. I'll take it beggars can't be choosers

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Scratching my head on this one.

On the plus side he has good hands and is very competitive. Great with the contested/acrobatic catches.

But he is a marginal athlete and I wouldn't have thought the Packers would be interested.

But I was so sure when Leroy butler said (or so i thought) Jaylen, I thought it was Hyatt. So unfairly, Jayden Reed was immediately associated in my mind with disappointment. Will keep an open mind and watch some tape.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Scratching my head on this one.

But I was so sure when Leroy butler said (or so i thought) Jaylen, I thought it was Hyatt. So unfairly, Jayden Reed was immediately associated in my mind with disappointment. Will keep an open mind and watch some tape.
Lol...same with me!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Packers had him at 4.37 in the 40.

Averaged 16 (16!!!) yards per punt return on 37 attempts in college.

How did I not know more about this kid?

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers had him at 4.37 in the 40.

Averaged 16 (16!!!) yards per punt return on 37 attempts in college.

How did I not know more about this kid?
Wow-4.37???

So sounds like the official NFL grades/measurables on him may be underwhelming

This kid could be Tyreek Hill-esque with some toughs about him

Okay, cool...

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Heck of a birthday present. Chosen by the bestest franchise.
"
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
"

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Will make a run as PR. 3 TD's and 2 more called back via penalty in his college career. Maybe a little early, Daniel Jeremiah had him at #81 on his Big Board. Obviously Gute and the boys liked him better than that, I'm good with it and maybe the PR traits trumped other guys. He was productive, and started all but 1 game of his college career.

edit: Last night after the 3rd concluded, Steve Smith on NFL Network really liked the pick.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I did some reading and watched his highlights.

He plays fast. Seems to be comfortable over the middle and catching in traffic. Will compliment Watson and Doubs well. Improves packer ability to attack the entire field and stretch the offense. The punt returns shows he is elusive in the open field.

I get it now. Is it a good pick? My least favorite pick, as I thought there were several other WRs avaliable or sit tight and take some other positions at the original spot. But I will adopt a wait and see approach. I think he will be at least average.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was watching some of his tape and the back shoulder throw or him seeing that the ball will be short and holding up on it is a strength.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Reed was off my radar. He didn't profile like a typical Packers' target. I knew he had a lot of fans, but I just didn't look into it.

He clearly has some acceleration and speed to his game. His punt return production is pretty wild.

As far as him being a reach, I struggle with that.

Here's the thing: Every WR in the class outside of JSN, Johnston, Flowers, Addison, and Mingo were on the board. The Packers could have taken any of them. They liked Reed. So it's not like they reached for a guy at the end of a run.

That doesn't make them right, but it's not a reach if that's the receiver they loved.

For what it's worth, Matt Harmon of Reception Perception said that Reed was his "my guy" of day two.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Naperville kid that started at WMU-if he could be something between Cobb/Steve Smith Sr. that'd be a great pick. Runs 4.4 and can make contested catches. I'll take it beggars can't be choosers
May see him on kickoff and punt returns in preseason. Nixon's the One. But it never hurts to have another if one goes down.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reed was off my radar. He didn't profile like a typical Packers' target. I knew he had a lot of fans, but I just didn't look into it.

He clearly has some acceleration and speed to his game. His punt return production is pretty wild.

Here's the thing: Every WR in the class outside of JSN, Johnston, Flowers, Addison, and Mingo were on the board. The Packers could have taken any of them. They liked Reed. So it's not like they reached for a guy at the end of a run.

That doesn't make them right, but it's not a reach if that's the receiver they loved.

For what it's worth, Matt Harmon of Reception Perception said that Reed was his "my guy" of day two.
I think they wanted him for the Cobb role. In preseason they may even use him the same way out of the backfield as a test. Just hope we do not get another Amari.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just because a team likes a player doesn't mean the pick isn't a reach. Gute could've taken Reed in the third round or perhaps even the fourth round and grabbed a DL like Keannu Benten in the second. Reaching for players like Reed or Deguara in 2020 means you leave holes in the roster. I'm not against drafting players for special teams, but in this case, its a little early to use a second rounder on a punt returner, where Reed does excel.

Members online

Latest posts