2023 Division round at the SF

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I echo that this is a very interesting matchup. My knee jerk reaction is that it is again going to be a blowout loss in SF. In the same respect, let's dig into this a bit. The 49ers are the 3rd highest scoring offense in the NFL. That is only behind the Dolphins and... you got it, the Cowboys. The Packers rank 12th. I'm not going to do the math, but I would wager they have been way better the last 3-5 games down the stretch here. Interestingly enough, the 49ers are also 3rd in the NFL in points allowed. They have a heck of a defense. The Packers actually rank 10th giving up 350 on the regular season for an average of almost 21 points per game. This should be a closer game than people think. While I'll go back to the point that I don't know what is going on anymore, I do think that the Pack come up short. I'm going to say it comes down to a FG. 49ers 17 - Packers 14.

I really have no idea what is going to happen though. What a great season this has been. Way surpassed my expectations. Great job by this coaching staff and awesome to see the ascension of Love no matter the outcome.
Man if we only score 14 points I'll be really disappointed.

ctfxcwatcher

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will take this time to apologize to Jordan Love and MLF. It's been awesome watching this team grow up this season and they have been a breath of fresh air
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
14 would not normally win a game although the Niners got us 13-10 two years ago.
Whenever you have a blowout game in the NFL it's usually due to just pure luck. Things just went your way that day, but we all know luck is fleeting. In the Dallas game those INTs we got could have easily been drops, and we've seen that before.
That TD pass to Musgrave, on another day the defender gets over in time and swats the ball away So I dont put alot into the score of that game.
What I do take from the Dallas game is the packers are playing good football right now. They are not playing like a 7th seed that just squeaked in. They are not playing like a 9-8 team. They are playing at a high level NOW and that is the only important thing. What they did in the past is irrelevant, meaning going forward if they continue to play at this level we have a legitimate shot at anyone.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Man if we only score 14 points I'll be really disappointed.
Me too. It's just what the stats say. The last few games they have been trending well above the stats. Here's to hoping that continues. GPG!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
They beat the 9ers.... Jesus, this page will crash .. Wife wants to go out to watch the game. I told her she's out of her ****ing mind. Lol!
I'm the same way. When it comes to important games, I prefer either being at the game or watching it on TV, at home, in my chair, volume up. With all the screaming, swearing, jumping around, celebrating and high fiving, it's only fitting that I am alone to do it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think it was 2020 that the 9ers were really decimated. We went in during the regular season and won fairly easily. Even their kicker may have been hurt.
Yup, Covid season, we beat them 34-17 @ San Fran. After Mason booted a 53 yarder, the Packers were up 34-3 with 6:15 left in the game. SF scored 2 garbage TD's after that. Nick Mullens was their QB and injuries just ravaged the 49'ers that season.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
Yup, Covid season, we beat them 34-17 @ San Fran. After Mason booted a 53 yarder, the Packers were up 34-3 with 6:15 left in the game. SF scored 2 garbage TD's after that. Nick Mullens was their QB and injuries just ravaged the 49'ers that season.
I think we actually play better when we have to mentally prepare to play up to a higher standard. Being 15-1 (2011) and playing at home comes with a dangerous mentality similar to letting off the gas when up 3 scores.

We need to behave like the 2011 Giants and come in like we’re fighting Goliath. If I’m coach, I might even suggest my players watch that condensed game (or a similar motivational game) the eve of our SF49 contest.

We are the underdog and we deserve that title. However we have an opportunity to cover some previous early season sins. We might not be on schedule to beat a #1 Seed.. but we’re damn sure talented enough to give them a good scare.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think we actually play better when we have to mentally prepare to play up to a higher standard. Being 15-1 (2011) and playing at home comes with a dangerous mentality similar to letting off the gas when up 3 scores.

We need to behave like the 2011 Giants and come in like we’re fighting Goliath. If I’m coach, I might even suggest my players watch that condensed game (or a similar motivational game) the eve of our SF49 contest.

We are the underdog and we deserve that title. However we have an opportunity to cover some previous early season sins. We might not be on schedule to beat a #1 Seed.. but we’re damn sure talented enough to give them a good scare.
Totally agree and I think that mentality is much easier to foster and stoke, with younger and hungrier guys.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems the team is dialled in, which was awesome to watch against Dallas. They'll have to be against the 49ers. The key to beating them is pressuring Purdy and slowing down their run game, if possible. If we win the coin toss I don't think it's a game where they should defer the kick. I'd prefer if they put their foot on the gas and keep it going. Shanahan knows LaFleur well, and vice versa. I'm hoping GB keeps it rolling and continues surprising people.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It seems the team is dialled in, which was awesome to watch against Dallas. They'll have to be against the 49ers. The key to beating them is pressuring Purdy and slowing down their run game, if possible. If we win the coin toss I don't think it's a game where they should defer the kick. I'd prefer if they put their foot on the gas and keep it going. Shanahan knows LaFleur well, and vice versa. I'm hoping GB keeps it rolling and continues surprising people.
I'm already making my plans for Detroit on Sunday Jan. 28th. The Packers-Lion game starts at 5:30.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's that whole problem of believing your own hype. And OMG are they getting ALL the media hype this week, just like Dallas did. Instead of acknowledging the Packers, the mantra has been how wrong they were about the Cowboys being a great team.
Niners are mostly saying the right things but I'm hearing a lot of "any given Sunday" talk from their camp. To me, that's code for, "They have no business beating us." So, it's one thing to say the right things, but you have to believe, deep down, what you're saying. I think most of their players are probably writing us off to some degree, just like we did in 2011. That always has some effect on preparation and effort.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's that whole problem of believing your own hype. And OMG are they getting ALL the media hype this week, just like Dallas did. Instead of acknowledging the Packers, the mantra has been how wrong they were about the Cowboys being a great team.
Niners are mostly saying the right things but I'm hearing a lot of "any given Sunday" talk from their camp. To me, that's code for, "They have no business beating us." So, it's one thing to say the right things, but you have to believe, deep down, what you're saying. I think most of their players are probably writing us off to some degree, just like we did in 2011. That always has some effect on preparation and effort.
That code can also mean, that Dallas game was shocking, so lets not think all we have to do is show up. We better start taking this green team seriously.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That code can also mean, that Dallas game was shocking, so lets not think all we have to do is show up. We better start taking this green team seriously.
I don't know. Every time I ever hear the term "Any given Sunday" it's in the context of a really bad team playing a really good team. It's like saying, "Well, it's highly unlikely, but anything is possible." For one team to say that about another team, it pretty much implies that they have a sense of superiority.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
I noticed that talk also. It’s all about how Dallas didn’t do anything right.

I noticed on “ Speak” that Joy Taylor hasn’t said a word about Jordan Love since her repeated in season dismissal of Jordan and the Packers, specifically. That panel were actually aroused by the Bears!

Edit: she was the only panel member besides James Jones that said she “can’t dismiss the Packers after what they did to Dallas”.
Were making headway

Last edited:

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know. Every time I ever hear the term "Any given Sunday" it's in the context of a really bad team playing a really good team. It's like saying, "Well, it's highly unlikely, but anything is possible." For one team to say that about another team, it pretty much implies that they have a sense of superiority.
I see what you are saying except I wouldn't classify the packers as "a really bad team".
As for our motivation...
I always go back to the SB of 2008 where the giants took down the unbeatable patriots. One of the biggest upsets in SB history.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would bet the house that the 49ers are not taking us lightly, and they'll be ready to play Saturday night

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL Of course we're not.
Just want to clear up what I was trying to say..
For me the term "any given sunday" always meant that in any NFL game even the worst team in the league can have "one of those games where every thing goes their way" and end up beating the best team in the league, so you better not take anything for granted. Make every game important.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just want to clear up what I was trying to say..
For me the term "any given sunday" always meant that in any NFL game even the worst team in the league can have "one of those games where every thing goes their way" and end up beating the best team in the league, so you better not take anything for granted. Make every game important.
Right, but what I was saying is that for Niners players to be saying that, there must be a certain sense of superiority that those players have and that is often a team's un-doing.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, but what I was saying is that for Niners players to be saying that, there must be a certain sense of superiority that those players have and that is often a team's un-doing.
Ah....now I see what you were getting at, and if that's how they feel I think that is a plus for us.
I also said this a while back but in the playoffs I always prefer teams that have been playing every week over the teams that get to sit out a game. Those "well rested" teams never seen to play well When they come back. They get out of their normal weekly rhythm and seem to come out flat.
I like the position we are in.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah....now I see what you were getting at, and if that's how they feel I think that is a plus for us.
I also said this a while back but in the playoffs I always prefer teams that have been playing every week over the teams that get to sit out a game. Those "well rested" teams never seen to play well When they come back. They get out of their normal weekly rhythm and seem to come out flat.
I like the position we are in.
I always hated to have a bye and then come back against a hot team. Some of those guys on their team haven't played for 3 weeks. They'll need to come back sharp from the start, because I know we will. I think first team to score unanswered wins this thing. Usually I have a pretty decent intuition about games but on this thing I got nothing. With all the rain this weekend I just don't know who it benefits. I think both teams can run in it but the passing game will be question mark. I do know Love's hands are about 1.5" bigger than Purdy's. When you're playing with a wet ball that can make a big difference. So I kind of feel like rain may favor us. We'll see soon enough.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
There is something about this team that is giving me hope. Young, hungry and without any preconceived expectations.

Members online

Latest posts