2019 Packer Roster / Practice Squad Changes

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think the Packers are in pretty decent shape at S with Amos, Savage, Campbell and Redmond. Although he is just getting back from his injury, Burks has been the biggest disappointment for me. It seemed that a lot of people thought that he was the missing piece at ILB and he has been pretty much invisible during the 6 games and 42 snaps on defense that he has played. Campbell has only been back for 1 game and he played 41 snaps against Carolina.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers are in pretty decent shape at S with Amos, Savage, Campbell and Redmond. Although he is just getting back from his injury, Burks has been the biggest disappointment for me. It seemed that a lot of people thought that he was the missing piece at ILB and he has been pretty much invisible during the 6 games and 42 snaps on defense that he has played. Campbell has only been back for 1 game and he played 41 snaps against Carolina.
Yeah, frankly Burks has been the one guy I have never understood. The Packers traded back into the 3rd round to get him last year, I was hoping to be wrong... but that always seemed like a huge reach to me.

D

Deleted member 6794

My point was, if that opportunity ever comes along for the Packers and its for a guy that instantly fixes a position of obvious need and he is sitting there on his second year of his rookie deal, I am in favor of getting an almost sure thing in exchange for a not so sure thing (future first round pick).

While Fitzpatrick has excelled in the Steelers scheme there isn't anything like trading for a sure thing. Otherwise even the Dolphins wouldn't have been interested in him in the first place.

With that being said I would be in favor of Gutekunst pulling the trigger on a trade for a player potentially improving a position in dire need of an upgrade.

I have a question about Savage. I was hoping, because of his speed, that he would be our centerfielder. But he does not seem to be playing that role anymore than Amos. Nor does he seem exceptional at it. Am I wrong in my assumption to begin with or is he a centerfielder in training?

Savage has a ton of potential but it's unrealistic to expect a rookie to come in and excel at playing single high free safety. In my opinion he has done a good job for most of the season. In addition a lot of people seem to be caught off guard by Amos being able to play the position at a high level as well.

Although he is just getting back from his injury, Burks has been the biggest disappointment for me. It seemed that a lot of people thought that he was the missing piece at ILB and he has been pretty much invisible during the 6 games and 42 snaps on defense that he has played.

Gutekunst was the only one expecting Burks to fix the Packers issues at inside linebacker. Unfortunately it seems he was wrong about it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gutekunst was the only one expecting Burks to fix the Packers issues at inside linebacker. Unfortunately it seems he was wrong about it.
With the level of ILB play, it's more than a bit disheartening that Burks isn't finding his way to the field more considering the level of play we've been getting there. I know he's young and has had some injury etc. But it's not as if there is a high bar here right now and he should be on the field more.

He's young, but each week he doesn't see the field and perform makes it less and less likely he's going to be what they thought he could be.

D

Deleted member 6794

With the level of ILB play, it's more than a bit disheartening that Burks isn't finding his way to the field more considering the level of play we've been getting there. I know he's young and has had some injury etc. But it's not as if there is a high bar here right now and he should be on the field more.

He's young, but each week he doesn't see the field and perform makes it less and less likely he's going to be what they thought he could be.

It took me by complete surprise that the Packers traded up into the third round to select Burks. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out for the team so far and I don't expect that to change down the road.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't know enough about him to care one way or the other. Seems to have the desired athleticism, but I don't see it on the field, mostly because I don't see him on the field. He has looked ok the few times i've watched him actually, but the fact he can't be on the field more gives me concern.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Let's face it, the ILB position has been nothing but a cluster f*ck this season. Martinez's play has been less than stellar and it all goes downhill from there. I realize the loss of Raven Greene "may have" worsened things, but lets not fool ourselves, Greene was an UDFA rookie last year, that was showing some signs of being a decent S who could play inside, but I doubt he is the answer moving forward in 2020. I fully expect Gute to address the ILB position in both Free Agency and the draft.

Packer reporter Jim Owczarski did a good piece on it this morning.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/s...-vulnerable-49-ers-passing-attack/4250309002/

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greene was an UDFA rookie last year, that was showing some signs of being a decent S who could play inside, but I doubt he is the answer moving forward in 2020.

Don't write him off that easily. He certainly has something to prove and did impress me in few matches he played this season. I'm actually looking forward to see what he can offer in longer terms either as a starter or as a depth player.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Don't write him off that easily. He certainly has something to prove and did impress me in few matches he played this season. I'm actually looking forward to see what he can offer in longer terms either as a starter or as a depth player.
I wasn't saying that the Packers should write him off, but by no means should they count on him to fix the issues they are having in the middle of the field on defense. Not saying that some day he could be the solution, I just hope they don't bank on it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Cole Madison's season is over. He reportedly tore his ACL in practice today. :(

Tough break for a guy who worked so hard to get over some demons and back to Football. I hope he works hard and has a chance to stay in the NFL next season.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't saying that the Packers should write him off, but by no means should they count on him to fix the issues they are having in the middle of the field on defense. Not saying that some day he could be the solution, I just hope they don't bank on it.
I don't know honestly. But I can't help thinking he might be our answer to a leaky rush defense.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The issues in the running game come down to the defensive line and Blake Martinez. Greene was very useful as a dime linebacker type of player, and it would be nice to see him reprise that role, but it isn't going to solve the root problem.

That problem is that the Packers have a MIKE who cannot defeat or avoid blocks. He must be kept clean. The defensive line isn't doing as good a job of that this season, and thus the whole unit is suffering in run defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

Cole Madison's season is over. He reportedly tore his ACL in practice today. :(

Tough break for a guy who worked so hard to get over some demons and back to Football. I hope he works hard and has a chance to stay in the NFL next season.

It's definitely a tough break for Madison but don't forget he wasn't active for a single game this season so far. That makes me believe he won't make the roster next year.

I don't know honestly. But I can't help thinking he might be our answer to a leaky rush defense.

Greene might present an upgrade over options available defending the run but he wouldn't significantly improve the overall performance in that area.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's definitely a tough break for Madison but don't forget he wasn't active for a single game this season so far. That makes me believe he won't make the roster next year.

Greene might present an upgrade over options available defending the run but he wouldn't significantly improve the overall performance in that area.
Cole had a ways to go after being off for a year, it was obvious he was going to need more time. My guess is he'll start on PUP next year and missing TC is going to hurt his chances. Unless he made some great strides during the season we didn't get to see, his road to playing on Sundays just got a lot tougher.

I have heard nothing about Greene since the injury. I'm not expecting him back. I don't know that he's the stout run defender, but I do think the defense operated a bit differently with him on the field and allowed us to do more things we haven't been doing in his absence. I'm hoping with Campbell being back and moving Amos back etc, they're more able to use people how they intended to use them and get to playing the style of defense they started with.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings waived Josh Doctson. While not a blazer he's a large target at 6'4. Whatever happened to Ryan Grant? If Grant can't see the field I'd kick the tires on Doctson. At the very least pick his brain for the Vikings game.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nijman, a starting RT, did not yield a single sack to any of the EDGE/DL taken in R1 (picks 4-17) of the last draft his Senior year., playing in the ACC no less. That includes Clelin Ferrell, Josh Allen, Christian Wilkins, Brian Burns and Dexter Lawrence. Gave up just 1 sack the entire season to Oshane Ximines on a busted play. 4 year starter with both LT and RT experience. Sound run blocker too. Huge.

Reaction score
Yeah, frankly Burks has been the one guy I have never understood. The Packers traded back into the 3rd round to get him last year, I was hoping to be wrong... but that always seemed like a huge reach to me.
Agreed. I’ll just say this. He fits the mold of 3 players who were picked by GB mainly due to their athleticism. Jason Spriggs, Oren Burks and Rashan Gary were all reaches due to their physical explosiveness. Thats a 1st, a second and third 3rd round draft picks and 6 picks for 3 guys.

Unfortunately 2 of 3 have not panned out and the jury is out on draft pick #12 overall. If there was ever a time for a player to step up and help his team? That challenge would go to Rashan Gary. He has to get motivated and dominate in limited snaps to earn more playing time alongside Kenny, Smith and Smith

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Was just reading about him. He seems to have some fantastic physical measurables and high potential. Hope he delivers now.
I wouldn't get too excited yet. There was a reason he didn't make the 53 and guys like Alex Light did. I remember seeing Nijman looking lost in preseason on a few plays, lets hope his time on the PS has honed his NFL skills a bit more. We may even see him as an inactive for a few games, before he actually suits up, this was purely a depth move with Bulaga shelved for awhile.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts