2019 Packer Roster / Practice Squad Changes

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

That is ONE big TE, He must have slimmed down or is going to be used mainly as a blocking TE? Listed as 6'3" #287

He did run a 4.89 40 at the combine, so not bad for a man of his size. For comparison, Sternberger ran a 4.75

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
It's more a curiosity than anything. I imagine he has or will drop some of that D-Line belly fat.

It's hard to know what the thinking is here. Gutekunst has been accumulating injury backups for the stretch run, Grant (when Adams turf toe was uncertian) then Veldheer with Bulaga always uncertain. This may be an attempt to have a blocking TE backup in the hip pocket in case Lewis goes down. None of the other TEs, including Baylis on the PS, are good blockers. Or they're giving him a look as a possible Lewis replacement for next season for blocking duty.

He was a 4 year varsity starter on the O-Line in high school and a a first-team Associated Press All-State Class 7A selection on the offensive line as a senior per the Cal notes linked below, in Florida no less, so it's not like this is totally out of the blue.

https://calbears.com/sports/football/roster/james-looney/9048

It's kind of interesting they gave him #49, a number typically given to an H-back who would so some blocking out of the backfield. Or maybe all the 80's numbers were taken. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's kind of interesting they gave him #49, a number typically given to an H-back who would so some blocking out of the backfield. Or maybe all the 80's numbers were taken.

Except for #80, all the even numbers in the 80's are not in use. Although #86 (Malik Taylor) and #88 (Evan Baylis) are used on the PS.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Is it just me or doesn't it seem like when a TE is issued a number in the 40s it is about the same as being pre-cut?

Seems that way doesn't it. I used to think that about WR's too, any non 80 # during the preseason meant they were at the bottom of the Depth chart. I'm sure there was someone before them, but both Randall Cobb and Davante both squashed that jinx with the Packers.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's power in a number. Ask any football player. I used to refuse to play in anything else other than 88. Then as I got older I switched to 29 as I had more of a utilitarian skill set. I CRAVED 4(you know why), but my coaches always had a soft spot for 4, EVERY single one of them, and only let the top RB wear it.

The number may mean something to him, or he simply doesn't care. I agree that Looney is definitely on the bubble. And most likely will not be a Packer in 2020.

D

Deleted member 6794

Seems that way doesn't it. I used to think that about WR's too, any non 80 # during the preseason meant they were at the bottom of the Depth chart. I'm sure there was someone before them, but both Randall Cobb and Davante both squashed that jinx with the Packers.

Currently nine of the top 10 receivers in the league in receptions and yards wear numbers in the 10s.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Giants cut Janoris Jenkins after "insensitive" Twitter comment....he called a fan a retard.

Jenkins has always been a little jabby but no major infractions that I can remember of recent note. Him, Jaire, and King, along with Tramon would make for a stout secondary for the postseason.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd bring him today. Fans are retarded, many of them. people say it all the time despite what they want you to believe outwardly. Words can be powerful or they can be just words. In this case it was just words, people need to be able to tell the difference. Hardly a reason I would hold against the guy.

My guess is the Giants had other reasons? if that was it, fly him here now.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He is subject to the waiver wire. Packers probably won't have a shot at grabbing him. Even if they do, I doubt that they will want to pay him the $2.34 M due for the remainder of this year and the $12.5 M for next year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i forgot when the waiver's kick back in, what week does that happen. Just so I can know and forget again.

If he's not worth it, they just cut him next year. shouldn't be on the hook for anything other than salary and if he's not good enough to pay, you can walk away.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Waiver rules kick in for ALL players released after the Trade Deadline date. This includes vested veterans like Jenkins. Now if a vested veteran is released before the trade deadline, his contract is deemed terminated and he is free to sign with any team. This was being reported as the reason Belichick didn't release Josh Gordon until AFTER the trade deadline.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is subject to the waiver wire. Packers probably won't have a shot at grabbing him. Even if they do, I doubt that they will want to pay him the $2.34 M due for the remainder of this year and the $12.5 M for next year.

$2.34M is a small price to pay for a Super Bowl appearance. George Kittle, Deebo Samuel & Emmanuel Sanders or Michael Thomas & Jared Cook, or DK Metcalf & Tyler Lockett are big problems for any NFL defense.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I'd bring him today. Fans are retarded, many of them. people say it all the time despite what they want you to believe outwardly. Words can be powerful or they can be just words. In this case it was just words, people need to be able to tell the difference. Hardly a reason I would hold against the guy.

The other reasons might be (1) he's not the player he once was, (2) the team is out of playoff contention, (3) they were going to cut him anyway after the season to capture $11.25 mil in cap savings, and (4) they can give somebody else 3 money games worth of experience/evaluation.

I wouldn't object to claiming him. He wouldn't start but he'd afford some injury protection while getting some snaps in dime. With King having shoulder issues...again...$1.8 mil for the last 3 games + playoffs looks like a reasonable thing to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me Jenkins still grades out ok. He's tied for 2nd in the league with 4 interceptions. He's allowed 38 receptions on 71 targets for a completion percentage of just under 54%.

Plus he was playing for the Giants who have only had a winning record once in the last seven seasons. It's no secret he had soured on what was going on in New York. A new situation with a winning attitude can change many a player around.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Only idiots say it all the time. Really no reason to say it at all. Although I could see where backwards people would use it.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I'd bring him today. Fans are retarded, many of them. people say it all the time despite what they want you to believe outwardly. Words can be powerful or they can be just words. In this case it was just words, people need to be able to tell the difference.
As the story goes, Jenkins refused to appologize, saying it is "part of his culture." There are a LOT of people for whom the n-word is part of their culture but refrain in public. One wonders how Jenkins feels about that word?

Whatever...he's probably going to have to make some token twitter appology to get another job.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only idiots say it all the time. Really no reason to say it at all. Although I could see where backwards people would use it.
And yet for some it’s not different than calling people an idiot. Or moron. Or *******. It’s a word and people are more than a tad sensitive these days.

Intentions are more important than words. People give arbitrary weight to certain words when they don’t need too, like now. Call people idiots, or call them retards. You’re so different? Intention is the same.

Reaction score
Actually it’s a brilliant move to sign a decent player a month out from playoffs. You pay him a fraction of his salary, so it fits the budget. Plus he gets a month to warm up and learn his role before the January games begin.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's really not much to learn for Jenkins as a pure corner. I'm pretty sure he would be outside and King would move to the slot. It's really just a matter of terminology. If we did pick him up I'd fully expect him to play against the Vikings.

I fully agree with you on the cost savings though. He'll probably clear waivers just so teams can negotiate more than just a 1 year rental.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And yet for some it’s not different than calling people an idiot. Or moron. Or *******. It’s a word and people are more than a tad sensitive these days.

Intentions are more important than words. People give arbitrary weight to certain words when they don’t need too, like now. Call people idiots, or call them retards. You’re so different? Intention is the same.
Yes, I thought of that pretty soon after I wrote it. Jerk would have been much better. I can think of other words that were OK to use years ago and they are just not OK. The thing is...a retarded person, when they hear the word used like that, take it personally and it depresses them in an instant. Just watch their face. They don't deserve that. It is not just politically correct sometimes. Sometimes it actually matters.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying anything about Jenkins. I don't know anything about him. I do hope he actually thinks about it. Would not say no to him. But any Packer with a kid with cognitive problems might have something to say to him. And I am sure it would be to educate him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Giants cut Janoris Jenkins after "insensitive" Twitter comment....he called a fan a retard.

Jenkins has always been a little jabby but no major infractions that I can remember of recent note. Him, Jaire, and King, along with Tramon would make for a stout secondary for the postseason.

It might be smart for the Packers to put in a claim for Jenkins as he would only count $1.2 million against the cap over the past two weeks.

He could improve an already decent secondary for the playoffs.

Cardinals cut LB Terrell Suggs

I don't care if his tank is on 1/8th....SIGN 'EM GUTE!!!!

Geez, Suggs wouldn't present an upgrade over anybody on the roster at this point in his career.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez, Suggs wouldn't present an upgrade over anybody on the roster at this point in his career.

In limited action, he has 5.5 sacks so far in 2019. He could easily finish with 7-8 depending on these last few weeks. I think he's still got more to give.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts