2019 Packer Roster / Practice Squad Changes

D

Deleted member 6794

In limited action, he has 5.5 sacks so far in 2019. He could easily finish with 7-8 depending on these last few weeks. I think he's still got more to give.

First of all Suggs has only a half sack over the past six games. In addition the Packers need a linebacker excelling in coverage which he doesn't provide.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I admit I haven't watched a single Cardinals game, but I know he's not a starter anymore but I still think he's an upgrade over Goodson, maybe I'm wrong.

D

Deleted member 6794

I admit I haven't watched a single Cardinals game, but I know he's not a starter anymore but I still think he's an upgrade over Goodson, maybe I'm wrong.

It seems that talking about Suggs might be a moot point anyway as the Titans most likely will put in a claim for him. In addition there's a chance he's only interested in playing for the Ravens.

I'm suggesting as he's lost a bit of twitch that he could benefit from a move inside.

Suggs, at 37 years old, wouldn't improve the inside linebackers ability to cover.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Four teams attempted to claim pass-rusher Terrell Suggs — Saints, 49ers, Seahawks AND Chiefs. Ravens may have signed him if he was free.

The Chiefs got him due to having the worst record of the 4

Janoris Jenkins was claimed by the Saints.

So had the Packers wanted either player, they wouldn't have gotten them.

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it's not customary for us, but it'd be nice to sometimes know if Gute was angling for these guys. Just to know he's actively trying to improve the roster, which I'm sure he's doing anyway....would be of comfort to everyone, along with maybe some moot talking points.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't think Suggs helps us much, but i would have taken Jenkins, no question.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's really not much to learn for Jenkins as a pure corner. I'm pretty sure he would be outside and King would move to the slot. It's really just a matter of terminology. If we did pick him up I'd fully expect him to play against the Vikings.

I fully agree with you on the cost savings though. He'll probably clear waivers just so teams can negotiate more than just a 1 year rental.

King in the slot would be a disaster. Those are exactly the types of players he really struggles with.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King in the slot would be a disaster. Those are exactly the types of players he really struggles with.

But he has help in the slot. Despite how you may feel about him Martinez would be there to assist in coverage(somewhat, King still has to cover) and Amos and Savage as Safeties would minimize large plays. On the outside King has just Amos if he's lacking in coverage.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know it's not customary for us, but it'd be nice to sometimes know if Gute was angling for these guys. Just to know he's actively trying to improve the roster, which I'm sure he's doing anyway....

If you would be really sure about Gutekunst actively trying to improve the roster there wouldn't be any need to know.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Damn the saints as if they are not good enough already
Last year the Saints traded for Eli Apple just before the deadline. It wasn't enough to get them over the top. Two weeks ago they gave up 48 points on 5 passing TDs at home against SF. CB has been a persistent problem for them.

They were not good enough already. Rankins and Davenport on IR present other problems doe them. Will Jenkins make that much of a difference? Probably not. Of course if Brees is able to throw 29-30 or something close it's not likely to matter whoever they play.

Last edited by a moderator:

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year the Saints traded for Eli Apple just before the deadline. It wasn't enough to get them over the top. Two weeks ago they gave up 48 points on 5 passing TDs at home against SF. CB has been a persistent problem for them.

They were not good enough already. Rankins and Davenport on IR present other problems doe them. Will Jenkins make that much of a difference? Probably not. Of course if Brees is able to throw 29-30 or something close it's not likely to matter whoever they play.
I don't think you can find a unbiased person that would disagree with the saints looking better than us up to this point. My comment was out of jealousy. I wasn't really saying they can't benefit from a upgrade to their team.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think you can find a unbiased person that would disagree with the saints looking better than us up to this point. My comment was out of jealousy. I wasn't really saying they can't benefit from a upgrade to their team.

While the Saints have looked more impressive than the Packers over the course of the season they have some weaknesses as well which were exploited by the Falcons and Niners in recent weeks. The Packers would definitely perform up to potential to beat them in the playoffs, especially if we have to end up facing them in the dome.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers have singed T John Leglue off the Saints practice squad and placed T Yosh Nijman (elbow) on injured reserve, per a source.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Packers cut CB Tony Brown without a corresponding roster move.

Possible future draft player slot?
They'll fill the spot before Sunday. If a team goes a week with an open roster spot they forfeit the right to carry 3rd. year practice squad players. That may be a small thing but it is something you would not forgo for one minimum salary game check in promoting a guy from the PS.

I'm not sure what you're getting at anyway. Roster spots go to 90 players before the draft.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They'll fill the spot before Sunday. If a team goes a week with an open roster spot they forfeit the right to carry 3rd. year practice squad players. That may be a small thing but it is something you would not forgo for one minimum salary game check in promoting a guy from the PS.

I'm not sure what you're getting at anyway. Roster spots go to 90 players before the draft.

I look at it as one less guy taking away valuable practice reps but good point. Wasn't aware of the PS rule. Maybe Veldheer joins the 53.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I look at it as one less guy taking away valuable practice reps but good point. Wasn't aware of the PS rule. Maybe Veldheer joins the 53.
Valdeer was activated off the Exempt/Commissioner Permission list on 12/9 with Pankey being released.

Maybe if you cut a guy on Saturday the PS rule I cited doesn't kick in until the following week. The rule is arcane to start with. It does seem odd we're 13 hours from kickoff without an announcement on who fills the spot.

Anyway, Brown had fallen to the bottom of the depth chart as a healthy game-day scratch. The only reps he was probably getting were on the scout team.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts