2019 Packer Roster / Practice Squad Changes

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Not too many surprises.

I would think there could be some changes at QB, RB, LB, and S.

Nice to see the trades of McCray and Gilbert. Not because the return is all that impressive, but it's just a good sign for the health of your roster when other teams are willing to trade something for guys you plan to cut.

I don't think that guys like Fadol Brown, Chandon Sullivan, or Will Redmond should get too comfy.

I am really happy for Tim Boyle. Now with a second offensive coaching staff, he has impressed enough to stick around. That's saying something for a guy who wasn't all that impressive at Western Kentucky.

Reaction score
All three of my guys made the cut! Dexter, Boyle and Sullivan, so I'm pleased. While many are calling for Crosby's head, I'm sort of glad we kept him for now and we seem to be picking our battles. If we're going to do that we should go after a K in the draft or FA next year.
We really need to get after that ILB position and evaluate the top 3-5 FA prospects and lock one down this week. It's our weakest link and we need to turn it into a strength. I'd feel much better if we shored up that spot next to Martinez pronto.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
All three of my guys made the cut! Dexter, Boyle and Sullivan, so I'm pleased. While many are calling for Crosby's head, I'm sort of glad we kept him for now and we seem to be picking our battles. If we're going to do that we should go after a K in the draft or FA next year.
We really need to get after that ILB position and evaluate the top 3-5 FA prospects and lock one down this week. It's our weakest link and we need to turn it into a strength. I'd feel much better if we shored up that spot next to Martinez pronto.

I want Crosby replaced, but when the only alternative brought in was Ficken, I figured we were in for one more year.

Reaction score
I want Crosby replaced, but when the only alternative brought in was Ficken, I figured we were in for one more year.
Well then it look as though you were right.
Crosby fares well in cold conditions and high caliber playoff games, we may sacrifice a smidge regular season but when the games get bigger, he has proven to come through.
2019 is a contract year out and just makes sense, unless a no-brainer falls in our lap we need to hold our breath another year at K. Let's focus in FA at ILB or QB#2 and shore up these holes before they sink us

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they kept all 4 te's....lazard will be picked up somewhere...too soft of hands and he could be a real weapon in the slot...crawford made the team and I just dont see him being of much value...other than that I have no idea where this team will go and finish...i fully expect massive growing pains and defensive hiccups w offensive magic act of appearing and disappearing. I am optimistic though the youth movement has arrived to titletown.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Not too many surprises.

Nice to see the trades of McCray and Gilbert. Not because the return is all that impressive, but it's just a good sign for the health of your roster when other teams are willing to trade something for guys you plan to cut.

I don't think that guys like Fadol Brown, Chandon Sullivan, or Will Redmond should get too comfy.

I am really happy for Tim Boyle. Now with a second offensive coaching staff, he has impressed enough to stick around. That's saying something for a guy who wasn't all that impressive at Western Kentucky.
Addition does require subtraction. 6 DL looks heavy with Z. Smith expected to take snaps there. Agree on Brown. I would add that 9 OL looks heavy--Madison, Light or Patrick might not be around too long.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
crawford made the team and I just dont see him being of much value
He's a special teams stud. At the bottom end of the roster is where those guys stay.
I am optimistic though the youth movement has arrived to titletown.
TT almost always had one of the youngest and least experienced rosters. How'd that work out when the injuries started piling up?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Fully agree with this. I just can't see how the Packers can enter another season with a backup QB like Boyle. I wasn't happy about the little experience Hundley had and then Kizer, who's rookie experience with the Browns I think made him permanently indecisive in the pocket. Go get Hoyer, he is a proven vet who knows the system that the Packers are running on offense.

I can't imagine there aren't better RB options for the #3 out there than D. Williams. Who IMO is just a PS guy at this point.

ILB has to be a top priority for Gute right now. I have no clue if Brandon Marshall is a THE guy you want and how he would fit, but if he is healthy, fits what Petting wants and doesn't want a kings ransom, go get him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Guess we should have held on to Biegel for his trade value! LOL

Saints are trading LB Vince Biegel to Dolphins for LB Kiko Alonso, per source. LB-for-LB deal.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting stuff. I like Crosby, but thought trending wrong way. Rodgers loves him and might have been a factor.

Crawford is their STs Ace.

Bottom of roster guys IMO:
1. Redmond - Hits but blows some coverages

2. Burks - Not making enough significant plays, goes to IR

3. Crawford - too many missed tackles at ILB, but does get there. Cleaning up tackling issues can happen for a lot of guys early in season. He’s been in position to make key plays often.

4. Fackrell - too one dimensional but could change that. Think he is athletic enough to offer more.

Just my feelings on these guys, might see changes with a few of these guys in next 3-4 hours

Also, interesting Packers turned 2 UDFAs into draft capital in McCray & Gilbert.

22 of 26 worst graded players over past 2 years jettisoned off roster per Andy Herman. McCray graded worst of all.

Last edited:

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fully agree with this. I just can't see how the Packers can enter another season with a backup QB like Boyle. I wasn't happy about the little experience Hundley had and then Kizer, who's rookie experience with the Browns I think made him permanently indecisive in the pocket. Go get Hoyer, he is a proven vet who knows the system that the Packers are running on offense.

I can't imagine there aren't better RB options for the #3 out there than D. Williams. Who IMO is just a PS guy at this point.

ILB has to be a top priority for Gute right now. I have no clue if Brandon Marshall is a THE guy you want and how he would fit, but if he is healthy, fits what Petting wants and doesn't want a kings ransom, go get him.
Agree on these positions. Might add OL too for an addition. Possibly OLB. There is some talent out there, and some they may bring back in on the 53, should some players clear.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have very little doubt that the opening day starters at ILB will be Ty Summers and Blake Martinez. It doesn’t sound ****, but that’s where we are. I like Summers speed and athleticism at the position and Martinez has been steady....but I’m still not comfortable with the lack of depth there. I highly doubt they pursued Kiko Alonso and even bigger doubts that they’ll get Brandon Marshall.... ILB is probably where they are weakest at.
From what I’ve been hearing there will be sub packages where a strong safety will play in the box as that 2nd ILB...my guess is it’ll be Raven Greene. Looking into the 2020 draft I’m leaning towards a ILB being taken early in the draft....Wr (yes Wr) a close 2nd.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So far signed to the Packers Practice Squad:
  • OT Yosh Nijman
  • DL James Looney
  • WR Malik Tayor
  • OLB Randey Ramsey
  • CB Kabion Ento
  • QB Manny Wilkins
  • TE Evan Baylis
  • ILB Brady Sheldon
  • RB Tra Carson
  • Allen Lazard

Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

·
I'm told the Packers did not get anyone off waivers. Doesn't mean they didn't put claims in. But any additions today will come from street free agency and/or trades

Last edited:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far signed to the Packers Practice Squad:
  • OT Yosh Nijman
  • DL James Looney
  • WR Malik Tayor
  • OLB Randey Ramsey
  • CB Kabion Ento
  • QB Manny Wilkins
  • TE Evan Baylis
  • ILB Brady Sheldon
  • RB Tra Carson

Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

·
I'm told the Packers did not get anyone off waivers. Doesn't mean they didn't put claims in. But any additions today will come from street free agency and/or trades

Lazard signs as well per his agent

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lazard would complete the 10, but I also read where Brady Sheldon was added, because someone backed out. No report who that was and if there is still a spot open.

If we did get Lazard back...AMEN!

Finding it a bit odd that we only signed our own guys, if that ends up being the case. Of course we have been busy grabbing some of these guys since the offseason started.

Seems like that is the list being posted for our PS.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Other news out of Green Bay...Savage will be wearing #21 instead of #26....hope nobody bought his jersey yet! :)

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have very little doubt that the opening day starters at ILB will be Ty Summers and Blake Martinez. It doesn’t sound ****, but that’s where we are. I like Summers speed and athleticism at the position and Martinez has been steady....but I’m still not comfortable with the lack of depth there. I highly doubt they pursued Kiko Alonso and even bigger doubts that they’ll get Brandon Marshall.... ILB is probably where they are weakest at.
From what I’ve been hearing there will be sub packages where a strong safety will play in the box as that 2nd ILB...my guess is it’ll be Raven Greene. Looking into the 2020 draft I’m leaning towards a ILB being taken early in the draft....Wr (yes Wr) a close 2nd.

Raven Greene will play more than Summers at ILB.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I agree with most of this. Though they weren't awarded any waiver claims, so it may be that they just missed out on the guys they liked at LB and RB.

They might just sit at LB depending on the timeline for Burks. They have their backup to Martinez in Summers. I know he had a really tough game missing some tackles, but when you don't tackle in practice you're going to have some of that. He showed more than enough to stick around.

At the other spot, they're more likely to use a safety (Greene, Campbell when he comes off the PUP) than a true linebacker.

So I don't see what they would be getting in a guy like Marshall. He would add more depth at MIKE, but would leave them in the same basic situation at WILL. Guys who can play that cover LB spot are harder to come by.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Summers might be the guy to play next to Martinez when they use a true 3-4 base defense... but that's almost never.

Kiko Alonso sucks by all accounts, and Marshall would not see the field any more than the 25% or so that Morrison gave the Packers last year.

People are barking up the wrong tree when it comes to this LB issue. I know Burks is technically a linebacker, but he was taken in the 3rd because he's a LB body with DB skills. That's what you need if you're going to stay on the field as a 2nd linebacker in 2019.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So I don't see what they would be getting in a guy like Marshall. He would add more depth at MIKE, but would leave them in the same basic situation at WILL. Guys who can play that cover LB spot are harder to come by.

Maybe things have changed with Marshall in the last few years, but I thought I remember people saying he was one of the best ILB's in the NFL when it came to coverage. Maybe I misread it or he has lost some steps.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Maybe things have changed with Marshall in the last few years, but I thought I remember people saying he was one of the best ILB's in the NFL when it came to coverage. Maybe I misread it or he has lost some steps.

I'm not aware of that reputation. And I would wonder what kind of coverage. A 6'1" 245 lb MIKE might have a knack for dropping in a shallow zone, but would still be a disaster if asked to handle man coverage responsibilities against tight ends.

That kind of smells like some PFF nonsense to me. They're often responsible for misleading reputations because their grades only cover what a guy was asked to do and can't account for what a guy didn't do because he wasn't asked because he can't do it.

Lastly-- if Marshall is a good cover linebacker, why are two teams with bad rosters (OAK and DEN) both paying him money to not play for them in 2019?

Members online

Latest posts