2019 Packer Roster / Practice Squad Changes

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Speaking of Roster Moves, everybody keeping track of the XFL? Former Packer WR DeAngelo Yancey was selected with the 3rd pick during the "Skill Players" portion of the XFL draft! :eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_XFL_Draft#Tier_1_quarterback_allocations
I had no idea they rebooted this thing. Out of curiosity I picked out the following from that link:
  • Christine Michael - 6th. skill player
  • Kyle Murphy - 8th. O-Line (3 spots below Willie Beavers ;))
  • Andrew Tiller - 29th. O-Line pick (a faint memory from 2013-2014)
  • Gerhard de Beer - 42nd. O-Line
  • Nico Siragusa - 48th. O-Line
  • Dejon Allen - 78th. O-Line
  • Joey Mbu - 10th. Front 7
  • Olive Sagapolu - 38th. Front 7
  • Greer Martini - 40th. Front 7
  • Beniquez Brown - 43rd. Front 7
  • Khyri Thornton - 47th. Front 7
  • Kentrell Brice - 22nd. DB
  • Josh Hawkins - 33rd. DB
  • Herb Waters - 57th. DB
  • Donatello Brown - 65th. DB
  • Nydair Rouse - 66th. DB
  • Ryan White - 74th. DB
  • Ladarius Gunter - 77th. DB
  • Carl Bradford - open draft
Also:
  • Winston Moss is HC of the LA Wildcats.
  • Tim Lewis (a good Packer player from the 80's and ex-NFL DC) is a DB coach for St. Louis
  • Jim Zorn (a Packer QB for one year in the 80's) is the head coach for Seattle
  • McCarthy and Capers are HC and DC for the Hoboken Zephers (just kidding)
I'm sure I missed some, maybe a bunch. A few of these players never made the 53 man roster or survived camp who I faintly recall because of unusual names.

Three or four of those DBs might have been on the field for the Packers at the same time. :eek:

The dreams live on.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

IThat kind of smells like some PFF nonsense to me. They're often responsible for misleading reputations because their grades only cover what a guy was asked to do and can't account for what a guy didn't do because he wasn't asked because he can't do it.
That's a very important point.

I would amend that slightly in that PFF grades on what they presume what a player is asked to do. That's obvious in many cases, an edge one-on-one against a tackle, a DB in one-on-one coverage. In many cases the assignment is not so obvious and involves a guess. But that's a side note which should not detract from your point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Panthers released Greg Dortch. He might be a good addition as a returner with Smith's concussion.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bucs waived former 2016 11th Overall Pick Vernon Hargreaves III today. Trying to do some research on why he didn't work out. But I'm pretty sure even if Gute wanted to he probably won't make it to us on waivers.

EDIT - He was benched for lack of hustle. Perhaps the up and down ways of Tampa has taken the competitive nature away. He didn't have that issue at Florida. Not sure if Gute would be interested with that profile.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Bucs waived former 2016 11th Overall Pick Vernon Hargreaves III today. Trying to do some research on why he didn't work out. But I'm pretty sure even if Gute wanted to he probably won't make it to us on waivers.

EDIT - He was benched for lack of hustle. Perhaps the up and down ways of Tampa has taken the competitive nature away. He didn't have that issue at Florida. Not sure if Gute would be interested with that profile.

Bucs ended up having a horrendous 2016 draft:
  • Vernon Hargreaves: gone
  • Noah Spence: gone
  • Roberto Aguayo: gone
  • Ryan Smith: Suspended first 4 games, still with team.
  • Caleb Benenoch: gone
  • Devante Bond: gone
  • Danny Vitale: gone

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers shouldn't be interested in a player showing a lack of effort.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have worked out DT Carl Davis, DT Justin Ellis and DT David Parry last week. There seem to be an emphasis on run stuffing linesman perhaps because linebacks are not available.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ellis signed with the Ravens yesterday.

Slim pickings, but there are definitely FA DT's and ILB's on the street and now would be a good time to sign them if you are thinking about it. However, I get the feeling that the Packers haven't found one that they consider an upgrade. Good to hear that Gute is still beating the bushes though!

Not sure if we could have fit him under the cap but Gerald McCoy is CLEARLY not washed like the Bucs thought....can you imagine Pettine running base even set with Clark and McCoy? Unstoppable.

I'm looking, but the only person I see of interest is Dominique Easley, but I thought he had gotten back in Belichick's good graces.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not sure if we could have fit him under the cap but Gerald McCoy is CLEARLY not washed like the Bucs thought....can you imagine Pettine running base even set with Clark and McCoy? Unstoppable.

I'm looking, but the only person I see of interest is Dominique Easley, but I thought he had gotten back in Belichick's good graces.

Well McCoy would have had to have been signed back in June before the Panthers, but yeah, he appears to be a good signing for them.

The more I look at current street free agents the more I just drive myself nuts. We rarely have enough information on these guys, since most haven't played in awhile. Are they injured, are they even in Football shape, are they in jail, etc? If you had been sleeping in a cave for the last 6 months and saw that Antonio Brown was a Free Agent, you would have thought the NFL had gone crazy.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
- David Parry is smaller (6'-1, 315 lbs) and more of a pocket-pushing pass rusher which is not what GB needs at the moment.
- Carl Davis is much bigger (6'4", 325 lbs) and pretty stout inside on double teams but has hammy concerns ~ availability is suspect.
- Olive Sagapolu was in camp in August & is a run-stopper-only guy, but at 6'-2, 325lbs might be of help AND available on early downs to help plug the middle and allow Martinez to stay clean on interior runs?

330+ lb'er Domata Peko just signed with Baltimore, along with Justin Ellis so Baltimore just added 660+ lbs of DL this week.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Browns just released Antonio Callaway. While he has been a disappointment as a WR, might be an upgrade to the nobody we have to return punts? Guy has some physical skills, but maybe a pass, the more I read about his inability to get his personal sh*t together off the field.

Raiders and Patriots are on the clock......

Oh good grief no. He's a disaster.

Plus a 10 game suspension.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that I care about this particular player, but let's say nobody picks him up until next year. When does the clock start ticking on his suspension? each game missed from now until then? or does he have to be on a roster to serve a suspension? I can't believe I don't know this.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Not that I care about this particular player, but let's say nobody picks him up until next year. When does the clock start ticking on his suspension? each game missed from now until then? or does he have to be on a roster to serve a suspension? I can't believe I don't know this.
Yeah, I couldn't recall myself and had to look around for a reference. The following is from 2015 but I don't think the CBA has been amended on this score:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-real-costs-behind-the-nfls-suspended-stars-of-2015/

Note the 4th. paragraph where suspensions were being served as free agents.

One thing I was not aware of is this:

"Teams are required under the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) to recoup signing bonuses for PED and substance-abuse suspensions."

As noted, teams are not allowed to make a friendly waiver of that claim as with no-show training camp fines. I'm not sure how that math works, but if its a prorated amount for games missed, that could be quite a lot for big second contract players. What do you do if he blew all the money, blood from a stone, yada, yada?

I'm not sure if there is anything to stop a team from signing a free agent while on suspension. If so, you could sign him and he'd be unpaid and not count against the cap or the 53 man roster limit until he comes off suspension. In a case such as this it would be a weird contract. It wouldn't matter what the 2019 year had in it (pay him a $1 billion if you want) since he'd never be paid any of it.

Nobody's going to sign this guy while under suspension regardless. Antonio Brown might be another matter. :whistling:

Here we have a guy on two strikes for canabis/CBD infractions while also getting benched this past week for showing up late to the Bills game. Since he can't practice while suspended he won't be in anybody's camp in 2020. Not only is this a guy not to be interested in, his NFL career may be over.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Callaway gets another chance, him going to the Browns was the worst thing for him. I wouldn't mind stashing him on the PS. He'd be an upgrade over any street WR not named Brown until the 2020 Draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yup, there are probably 30 teams (and their fans) wishing they had traded a first rounder for him. He has been unbelievable in the 7 games he has played for the Steelers, with five interceptions, one fumble recovery, one forced fumble and 2 TD's. One interception was returned 96 yds for a TD and the fumble recovery was returned 43 yds for a TD.

Minkah is En Fuego! He has turned out to be the "2019 Khalil Mack Trade"

Yet the Steelers will most likely end up missing the playoffs.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Callaway gets another chance, him going to the Browns was the worst thing for him. I wouldn't mind stashing him on the PS. He'd be an upgrade over any street WR not named Brown until the 2020 Draft.

He's had off-field issues since HS, and nothing has changed in that regard.

He's not worth it.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet the Steelers will most likely end up missing the playoffs.
Starting a 2nd year, 3rd round pick at QB who wasn't ready to start, yet is part of the problem. The Steelers spend heavily on D (& did again w/ Minkah trade) leaving their offense talent depleted after jettisoning head-cases Bell & Brown. They need to spend heavy draft-capital on WR, TE, RB and line depth in 2020 to try getting back to good.

FYI, they had a brutal early schedule facing (& losing to): NE, Seattle, 49'ers, and Ravens. They've beaten teams they should in Cincy & Miami as well as Chargers, Rams & Colts. Can't fault them if they do miss the playoffs, had nothing to do with the Minkah trade.

D

Deleted member 6794

Starting a 2nd year, 3rd round pick at QB who wasn't ready to start, yet is part of the problem. The Steelers spend heavily on D (& did again w/ Minkah trade) leaving their offense talent depleted after jettisoning head-cases Bell & Brown. They need to spend heavy draft-capital on WR, TE, RB and line depth in 2020 to try getting back to good.

FYI, they had a brutal early schedule facing (& losing to): NE, Seattle, 49'ers, and Ravens. They've beaten teams they should in Cincy & Miami as well as Chargers, Rams & Colts. Can't fault them if they do miss the playoffs, had nothing to do with the Minkah trade.

There's no doubt the trade for Fitzpatrick worked out great for the Steelers. Just wanted to point out that it won't help them make the playoffs this season for whatever reasons.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There's no doubt the trade for Fitzpatrick worked out great for the Steelers. Just wanted to point out that it won't help them make the playoffs this season for whatever reasons.
Probably not this season, but it was a trade that should help them a lot moving forward. Having Fitz. on his rookie deal for 2 more years, as well as the 5th year option, has to have the Steelers and their fans loving this deal more and more each day.

If the Packers had been given a similar opportunity to pick up a Pro Bowl type ILB or WR, 2 weeks into the season, with the same trade parameters, I would have loved to have seen Gute pull the trigger on it. Who knows how much better the Packers would be right now with such a player. Instead, they will most likely head into the 2020 draft having to use that first rounder on a talented college player at one of those 2 positions, but one that hasn't yet proven himself to be a quality NFL player like Fitzpatrick had.

D

Deleted member 6794

Probably not this season, but it was a trade that should help them a lot moving forward. Having Fitz. on his rookie deal for 2 more years, as well as the 5th year option, has to have the Steelers and their fans loving this deal more and more each day.

There's no doubt the Steelers will hugely benefit from trading for Fitzpatrick. My point is that while it would have been nice if the Packers had been able to make a similar move fans should enjoy the team Gutekunst has assembled over the past two years, standing at 8-2 after the bye even and not fret about an isolated move by another team.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There's no doubt the Steelers will hugely benefit from trading for Fitzpatrick. My point is that while it would have been nice if the Packers had been able to make a similar move fans should enjoy the team Gutekunst has assembled over the past two years, standing at 8-2 after the bye even and not fret about an isolated move by another team.
Oh I agree with you. Although, after week 2, nobody probably would have predicted that the Packers would be sitting at 8-2, 9 weeks later. :)

Fitz (a safety) wasn't necessarily a player/position that the Packers absolutely needed to improve at the time. So trading a first rounder for him, probably would have been a luxury that we shouldn't have spent a future pick on. My point was, if that opportunity ever comes along for the Packers and its for a guy that instantly fixes a position of obvious need and he is sitting there on his second year of his rookie deal, I am in favor of getting an almost sure thing in exchange for a not so sure thing (future first round pick).

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a question about Savage. I was hoping, because of his speed, that he would be our centerfielder. But he does not seem to be playing that role anymore than Amos. Nor does he seem exceptional at it. Am I wrong in my assumption to begin with or is he a centerfielder in training?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a question about Savage. I was hoping, because of his speed, that he would be our centerfielder. But he does not seem to be playing that role anymore than Amos. Nor does he seem exceptional at it. Am I wrong in my assumption to begin with or is he a centerfielder in training?
He’s been all over. He was hurt and out for a while. But he showed up quite a bit and is again now that he’s back in the field. As long as he’s healthy, and getting Campbell back is going to allow them to use Amos and Savage as they originally intended to.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts