2019 Packer Roster / Practice Squad Changes

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Saints won't be signing Antonio Brown unless/until there is clarity from the NFL about its investigation into the claims of ****** assault made against him. And there is no indication from the NFL that any decision is imminent

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Didn't want to start a new thread....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This quote from an article summed the moves up quite nicely.

"Both players project as high-upside prospects who could challenge for a back-end roster spot in training camp. With NFL teams seemingly less likely to load up on undrafted rookies this year due to COVID-19 issues affecting evaluations, this appears to be an alternate pathway for the Packers to get a couple of players with useful tools into the organization."

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute says we're going to still load up on them, but he's going to trust his scouts when it comes to adding players. How he comes to the final decision we'll probably have to wait another month to see. But Gute is an SEC/ACC guy in my opinion, so I expect them to mainly come from those conferences.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

"Both players project as high-upside prospects who could challenge for a back-end roster spot in training camp. With NFL teams seemingly less likely to load up on undrafted rookies this year due to COVID-19 issues affecting evaluations, this appears to be an alternate pathway for the Packers to get a couple of players with useful tools into the organization."
I wouldn't get too carried away with the Covid thing in this regard. I've frequently commented on Gutekunst's "Draft 2.0" approach--he's brought in quite a few guys who had respectable to lower round draft grades that busted out of their first rodeo.

Anyway, though Davis in particular graded out poorly and went undrafted he tested pretty freaky in hands/arms/wingspan, with other outstanding numbers for a guy his size:

http://www.draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1019029&DraftYear=2019

If you knew nothing about this guy but that data you might think of him as an ILB prospect. But as a guy who came in as a good athlete / underwhelming football player switching to ILB is an awfully steep hill to climb.

Before claiming these guys the Packers had 64 players under contract, 26 to go. That's a lot of spots to fill even after adding draftees. Any other year and you'd say it's these guys or maybe 2 of 16 UDFAs. That doesn't sound virus related.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

I consider that take to be too optimistic about either Davis or Willis. There's a reason both went undrafted and hardly played at all last season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I consider that take to be too optimistic about either Davis or Willis. There's a reason both went undrafted and hardly played at all last season.

I will take "hardly played" over what we saw from most of last years crop of rookie UDFA's.
  • Manny Wilkins, QB
  • Matt Eaton, WR
  • Davis Koppenhaver, TE
  • Yosh Nijman, OT,
  • Larry Williams, OL
  • Randy Ramsey, EDGE
  • Greg Roberts, EDGE
  • Curtis Bolton, ILB
  • Kabion Ento, CB
  • Javien Hamilton, CB
  • Nydair Rouse, CB

I don't think the article was being too optimistic, it was just stating that the signings were potentially in lieu of the traditional UDFA's normally signed after the draft to back fill the roster. These are 2 guys that the Packers might have liked last season and tried to sign and 2 guys that they now have one year of NFL data on. All that said, I think both are probably considered long shots to make the final 53, but at least are options that have worked in the NFL and because of that, might be more prepared if and when they can get back to work.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I will take "hardly played" over what we saw from most of last years crop of rookie UDFA's.
  • Manny Wilkins, QB
  • Matt Eaton, WR
  • Davis Koppenhaver, TE
  • Yosh Nijman, OT,
  • Larry Williams, OL
  • Randy Ramsey, EDGE
  • Greg Roberts, EDGE
  • Curtis Bolton, ILB
  • Kabion Ento, CB
  • Javien Hamilton, CB
  • Nydair Rouse, CB

I don't think the article was being too optimistic, it was just stating that the signings were potentially in lieu of the traditional UDFA's normally signed after the draft to back fill the roster. These are 2 guys that the Packers might have liked last season and tried to sign and 2 guys that they now have one year of NFL data on. All that said, I think both are probably considered long shots to make the final 53, but at least are options that have worked in the NFL and because of that, might be more prepared if and when they can get back to work.

I guess the Dolphins long having been eliminated from playoff contention was part of the reason both of them played late last season. But you're right, that's still better than most undrafted free agents will ever do.

Members online

Latest posts