2018 Free Agents to Target

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Putting the Packers needs aside for a moment, the positions that look strong in free agency to me are:

- Running Back: Bell, Hyde, Lewis, Burkhead, Sims, Crowell, Darkwa, McKinnon, West, Blue. Bell won’t actually hit the market, but everyone else realistically could and that would be a deep group of contributors.

-Wide Receiver: Robinson, Landry Watkins, Lee, Richardson, Moncrief, Matthews, Wilson, Gabriel, Butler, Pryor

-Cornerback: Johnson, Butler, Breeland, Fuller, Amukamara, Robinson, Gaines, Joseph

Was just about to say “I need to see a list of the FA’s”
Thank you good sir!

There are some solid names there that can really contribute that won’t get signed by the team they are with at the moment. Wouldn’t mind to see someone like Watkins get a cheap 1 year deal. Landry would be too much seeing as a truck load of cash went to the man Adams

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Donte Moncrief (WR, Colts) - he has looked very good when he has decent quarterback play, has the ability to accelerate and separate unlike any of our receivers, and his value will be softened by the depth of this WR FA class.

2. Aaron Colvin (CB, Jaguars) - he's shown real promise when healthy, and I don't think the Jags can afford to lock him down given the money they're going to tie up to more core players in the coming years.

3. EJ Gaines (CB, Bills) - similar story to Colvin, he looked like an All-Pro early in his career with injuries slowed him down. Was ranked as the #29 CB in the league during this regular season.

4. Trent Murphy (Edge, Washington) - if he's healthy and can be had at a reasonable price, I think he could be a very solid rotational pass rusher

5. Troy Niklas (TE, Cardinals) - he has shown next to nothing in Arizona, but I wouldn't mind taking a flier on him just for the upside

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My list, copied from another thread:

1. Donte Moncrief (WR, Colts) - he has looked very good when he has decent quarterback play, has the ability to accelerate and separate unlike any of our receivers, and his value will be softened by the depth of this WR FA class.

2. Aaron Colvin (CB, Jaguars) - he's shown real promise when healthy, and I don't think the Jags can afford to lock him down given the money they're going to tie up to more core players in the coming years.

3. EJ Gaines (CB, Bills) - similar story to Colvin, he looked like an All-Pro early in his career with injuries slowed him down. Was ranked as the #29 CB in the league during this regular season.

4. Trent Murphy (Edge, Washington) - if he's healthy and can be had at a reasonable price, I think he could be a very solid rotational pass rusher

5. Troy Niklas (TE, Cardinals) - he has shown next to nothing in Arizona, but I wouldn't mind taking a flier on him just for the upside

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was just about to say “I need to see a list of the FA’s”
Thank you good sir!

There are some solid names there that can really contribute that won’t get signed by the team they are with at the moment. Wouldn’t mind to see someone like Watkins get a cheap 1 year deal. Landry would be too much seeing as a truck load of cash went to the man Adams

Why would Watkins take a cheap 1 year deal?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's already started.

Not really an splashy start, but still another RB? Jones, Williams, Mays, TyM plus fullback Rip & Joe....we're well stocked there imo.
Camp fodder. Doesn't hurt to go ahead and stockpile some.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Are these not red flags?

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I’m really not a fan of the FA pool this year. Especially the guys that actually will not be resigned by their current teams. The guys that do interest me are extremely overrated and over valued like Malcom Butler.

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He gets burned on double moves. Doesn't seem to know his coverages. His interceptions are instinctual, he reads and reacts; he would be a good free safety. CBs usually play along the perimeter of the field, and against elite receivers Randall constantly got burned like the bottom of the oven. He is a good player, a second rounder, and I think Randall was a converted safety from college. GB should play to his strengths and let him loose. Its possible Capers was holding guys back with his schemes. Let's see what a new DC will do.

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Randall was a free safety at Arizona State. I have never been a fan of drafting a player than switching his position.

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Landry is garbage and Watkins isn't worth any money. Allen Robinson is the receiver to sign he'll be reasonable priced is young and a much better player than either Watkins or Landry. And actually moving Randall to free safety might not be a bad idea. Pettines system is single high safety system and depends a lot on a play making safety. Randall has proven he can cover NFL receivers nice to have a safety who can do that he's athletic and fast so he could cover alot of ground as a single high. My only reservation would be that I'm not sure he's smart enough to play that role. From Pettines comments his system works better the smarter the player. And I've long noticed this about the NFL the better players are the smarter players. Yeah Charles woodson and Julius peppers are elite athletes but they are hall of famers because they're smart.

This is why when Jimmy Leonard was playing Pettine always had him as his safety.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My list, copied from another thread:

Mods = time to merge?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Getting us a good tight end should be high on Gutekunst's priority list.

Yes, and while exceptions exist, it’s unusual for rookie tight ends to make a big impact. Ideally, they’d land a veteran at that spot.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Randall was a free safety at Arizona State. I have never been a fan of drafting a player than switching his position.

Randall was more of a box safety, slot corner hybrid at ASU. I can’t recall him ever consistently filling a FS role as a center field coverage player.

There’s also the issue that he played really well at corner down the stretch. Why switch him to a position he’s never played when they’re actually finally getting some ROI at a spot that’s a lot more valuable to begin with?

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Malcom butler should be a talked about free agent unless other players get cut salary related like Richard Sherman etc who I still think ends up here lol but butler is likely to walk from New England who is still young and I think they should have signed him as a restricted free agent last year. We need a true number 1 corner some legit pass rushers and some o line depth and a back up qb not a rookie they don’t need to go crazy in free agency and they do have cap limits but if u can address them positions in FA and hit on some playmakers in the draft we will be alright we need to draft good cuz I’m very optimistic we won’t be pickin this low for a while again so make the best of it...

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Malcom butler should be a talked about free agent unless other players get cut salary related like Richard Sherman etc who I still think ends up here lol but butler is likely to walk from New England who is still young and I think they should have signed him as a restricted free agent last year. We need a true number 1 corner some legit pass rushers and some o line depth and a back up qb not a rookie they don’t need to go crazy in free agency and they do have cap limits but if u can address them positions in FA and hit on some playmakers in the draft we will be alright we need to draft good cuz I’m very optimistic we won’t be pickin this low for a while again so make the best of it...

How about...Butler and Sherman?!?

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not really liking the FA options at edge defender. DeMarcus Lawrence is an elite FA, but there's no way he gets out of Dallas.

There are a couple interesting buy-low candidates out there like Aaron Lynch and Trent Murphy.

Beyond that, you're talking about buying high on Alex Okafor (wish they had bought low on him last offseason) or taking a big risk on underachiever Ziggy Ansah.

I'm not against taking a swing on a guy with upside, but either way I think this is one position that they need to address in the draft.

I would definitely take a hard evaluation of Ziggy Ansah. That guy always gets into the backfield when healthy. He has had some injuries, but so have many players. The fact that he is able to play through nagging injuries and still generate pressure is noteworthy. Besides you can get your free agent (Ansah) and draft a rookie pass rusher this year; it doesn't have to be one or the other.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would prefer a similar approach to Free Agency as the one TT used this past year. More low to middle priced guys. Throw all your FA money at one guy and you are rolling the dice that he will stay healthy and productive and meanwhile you have 2 or 3 other positions that could have used a starter or more depth.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts