2018 Free Agents to Target

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I know a lot of people like talking about the draft around this time of year, but for me the FA signing period can play a role in who you go after in the draft.

With TT out as GM, will the Packers be more active in Free Agency?

What positions/players should they go after?

You can always hope that a first or second round pick will come in and fill a need immediately, but for the Packers to be successful in 2018, I think they have to look long and hard at filling the needs at the following position through Free Agency. I'm not saying go after all high end guys, but I would love to see more depth with veteran guys.

OLB, TE, CB, #2 QB, and OL

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ultimately, I'd say it mostly comes down to 'signing ______ would be great, but at the right price'. I, like I believe the majority here, was happy with the TE action last year, but, although it was a bust, it didn't cost them much. I'm against the really topnotch guy who'll cost a boatload, not only from that actual performance standpoint but the impact if they go down, which is getting to be almost automatic with the Pack.

Reaction score
I know a lot of people like talking about the draft around this time of year, but for me the FA signing period can play a role in who you go after in the draft.

You can always hope that a first or second round pick will come in and fill a need immediately, but for the Packers to be successful in 2018, I think they have to look long and hard at filling the needs at the following position through Free Agency. I'm not saying go after all high end guys, but I would love to see more depth with veteran guys.

Very much so. And then if I may piggy back, I’d break that down further into positions that typically take longer to develop or have the highest overall impact such as..
CB or QB etc.. (ditto Half Empty, didn’t actual see that until I wrote this)
. Id prioritize getting those locked with seasoned Veterans if entirely possible.
Then hit the draft at OLB, OL, TE, WR etc..

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

We could go after Micheal Bennett ? :whistling:

Hands

In the land of the blind, the one eye man is king
Reaction score
I'll provide an incident I had on a recent business trip that relates to FA. One of the flight attendants from Delta sat directly across from me. So I'm the type that will talk to a stranger with no problems.
She happened to be the sister of the DE from the Panthers (Mario Addison) His first year (2011) he split time between Chicago and Indy. Spent time with many teams but is now either tied or leads the Panthers in sacks w/ Peppers.

Twice Green Bay tried to sign him to a contract. Twice he said no. Now he's considered a beast, but back in 2012 and as recently as 2014 or 16 (I can't remember the exact year), when he had just showed some potential, Green Bay wanted him but he didn't want Green Bay because of the climate.

Now you can chose to believe that or not. There have been other stories like that on other FA that have turned the Packers down. So when I read about the Packers should go after this guy or that one in Free Agency.....I understand why they can't come to terms. Maybe why TT was always getting those cut players to sign because nobody else wanted them.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB has been known as a rather player friendly team in terms of showing them respect, giving opportunities for a while now. I'm guessing its the city of GB and the winter he's talking about. 2010 thru this year every offseason has seen this team as one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl, i think it had a favorable atmosphere for players looking to win. But maybe not

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
GB has been known as a rather player friendly team in terms of showing them respect, giving opportunities for a while now. I'm guessing its the city of GB and the winter he's talking about. 2010 thru this year every offseason has seen this team as one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl, i think it had a favorable atmosphere for players looking to win. But maybe not

Funny thing about "the weather" in GB, how many players actually end up spending the entire winter in Green Bay? During the season and postseason, they are traveling to and from GB and potentially other cold climates. Once that season is over, the ones without kids are probably off to their second homes in warmer location.

Now the City of GB, I can see where some would want nothing to do with it and probably is the reason we hear of some players getting into trouble elsewhere. That isn't me knocking Green Bay, its a comment on what is attractive to some people for non-working hours lifestyle. But again, if a player really wants to focus on his Football career for 6 months and his social life for the other 6 months, most of these guys are financially in a position to have 2 homes.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

See post #2

My comment was VERY tongue in cheek regarding Bennett, but it worries me that we are so motivated at getting the best at bargain prices we will always struggle. I see we`ve signed five off the practice squad but in my ignorance, does that mean they weren`t good enough in the first place ?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My comment was VERY tongue in cheek regarding Bennett, but it worries me that we are so motivated at getting the best at bargain prices we will always struggle. I see we`ve signed five off the practice squad but in my ignorance, does that mean they weren`t good enough in the first place ?

On the PS, just means the Packers want to retain their services for at least another preseason. Basically, they aren't free agents.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As always, it depends on who is available.

I wouldn't worry about O-line really at all. The starting 5 from last year are more than adequate. McCray, Murphy, and Spriggs are presumably the next 3 we keep. We could relatively safely handle the loss of Bulaga or Evans, but both would be a stretch. Even then, you're looking for the no. 7 and 8 guys. I smell a 4th and a 7th and we're back to fine.

TE would be a spot I'd look harder, but again Jimmy G for example looks like a bad risk to me. Who else is going to hit the market? A dedicated blocking TE would be nice if he's cheap enough.

WR, probably a pass. Impact players tend not to leave their teams, so I presume we'd be over-paying for scraps.

FB/RB, why? We've got plenty.

QB is tricky. I want to upgrade from Hundley, but competent QBs are in such short supply, backups are over-paid. Who's scheduled to hit the market?

D-Line is reasonably set as well. Good starting rotation with Lowry, Clark, and Daniels. Dial and Adams are your depth guys on game day. Draft another guy around the 3rd round and give him a chance to unseat Dial and/or Adams. Worst case, carry the usual 6 on the roster. If nothing else, see if Adams was worth the pick. If he sinks, it sucks, but he can finish out the rookie contract cheaply. If he's good, great.

EDGE: Get more guys if anyone with a pulse can be had. You can never have enough of these guys. Sign one or two, draft one or two. Doesn't matter if we end up swapping to a 4-3 or not. If we have to, nickel could be some kind of hybrid where a too big 3-4 olb puts his hand in the dirt ala Peppers, or a too-small 4-3 end stands up, ala college Matthews.

ILB: Such a meh position. Though if we switch, we could use a different guy to be a typical MIKE backer. Martinez might be the WILL?

CB: Just like EDGE, get more guys if anyone with a pulse can be had. You can never have enough of these guys. Sign one or two, draft one or two.

Safety: We've got good bodies. HaHa and Jones are the presumptive starters right now, perhaps Burnett if he comes back.

In short, outside of TE, CB, EDGE, and maybe QB, we don't really need a fill-in guy. I'd rather have young, fast, and cheap.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why don't you just wait until we actually have a GM to think about roster turnovers? It is also important to have the entire coaching staff in place before considering players for them to work with because some guys could have been a great fit for Dom Capers but will be a total mismatch for his replacement.

Hands

In the land of the blind, the one eye man is king
Reaction score
Are you talking about the "weather" or the overall playing for the Packers and in Green Bay?
She specifically said the cold weather wasn't what Mario wanted. When she said it, I wanted to ask if it was because of the small town of Green Bay, but decided I wanted to hear more about the player. She was pretty cute and didn’t mind talking about her brother.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Why don't you just wait until we actually have a GM to think about roster turnovers? It is also important to have the entire coaching staff in place before considering players for them to work with because some guys could have been a great fit for Dom Capers but will be a total mismatch for his replacement.

If we waited for the Packers to make moves.....how would they get the valuable information that they require to consider such moves? :coffee:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Having a GM is pretty much irrelevant to what we think the Packers GM should do. They don't do what we want anyway so why not talk about it. Your point about the coaching staff does have merit but again, since our opinions are not taken into considerations I see no harm in talking about it.

I just wonder what all the "It doesn't matter, Ted won't sign anyone anyway" posters are going to come up with in response to this thread.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guess Addison didn't mind the cold when he signed with Chicago and then accepted a practice squad position in Indy.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having a GM is pretty much irrelevant to what we think the Packers GM should do. They don't do what we want anyway so why not talk about it. Your point about the coaching staff does have merit but again, since our opinions are not taken into considerations I see no harm in talking about it.

I just wonder what all the "It doesn't matter, Ted won't sign anyone anyway" posters are going to come up with in response to this thread.

Don't quite follow. The fact that there IS a thread on possible free agents is an obvious response to a new GM.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The names that pop out to me are Blaine Gabbert, Marqise Lee, Trey Burton, Kyle Fuller, Trumaine Johnson, and Bashaud Breeland.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The names that pop out to me are Blaine Gabbert, Marqise Lee, Trey Burton, Kyle Fuller, Trumaine Johnson, and Bashaud Breeland.
It is time to spring for a big acquisition in the secondary. With him and King, we could start our own Legion of Boom. Right?

I do like Lee. Jacksonville will actually have a tight cap next year, will likely try to retain Robinson, and have a young WR in Cole who has seemed to emerge. And it seems like he could be had for a reasonable price. But we have so much money tied up in the WR positions.

Maybe Miami is not big on Parker, and we can do a trade similar to the one LA and Buffalo pulled last year. Bring in a WR on a rookie contract who could use a new start.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts