2018 Free Agents to Target

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The names that pop out to me are Blaine Gabbert, Marqise Lee, Trey Burton, Kyle Fuller, Trumaine Johnson, and Bashaud Breeland.

I like Johnson and fuller. Also if Burnett leaves the team needs abother good safety. I guess I'm assuming the new d coordinator will want to use Josh Jones as a nickel linebacker which is where it seems like his skill set is most effective. With Jones at lb that leaves hhcd who has been miscast as more of a free safety when he's better suited as a strong he doesn't play deep center field that well. So you have kentrell Brice coming back and marwin Evans. Who in my opinion are just guys and are good backups but shouldn't be de facto starters as the3rd safety. I like tre Boston free safety Los Angeles chargers. Liked him coming out of north Carolina after 4 seasons he looks like it's come together for him. And he's only 25, if you can get him for about sane money as Burnett I hate to say it cuz I like Burnett but in that scenario I take Boston he's the younger player and probably the better player in the next 3/4 years.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to know what Burnett will cost....
But if I had to choose, I'd take Burnett over Cobb to start 2018.

I agree completely that haha doesn't suit the fs position. He is a ss. Last year he played up a lot and did well. There wasn't anyone behind him when the qb went over the top a few times though. I remember thinking he needs to step back, and concentrate on crushing wrs and stopping the deep ball, rather than play up. But that move Basicly erased him. He needs to be up in the mix...

Then capers brought Burnett to play up in the mix! Where Burnett was really a good coverage safety who seemed to do his job, and still find opportunities to make impact plays outside his usual duties...

Looking at cam chancellor and Earl Thomas. I'd say haha is cam, and Burnett is Earl. But capers played it the other way around for some reason.

I'd like to keep Burnett. But it would take releasing a comparable name like Mathews, Jordy, Cobb, to make cap room for him. Which I would do.

I think the young guy Brice is the #3 being promoted if we do let Burnett go. Can he stay healthy?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One area where I'd really like to see GB pursue another FA is tight end. While exceptions certainly exist, it's a position where guys normally take a few seasons to come into their own. Trey Burton would be a nice acquisition as a receiving threat.

Conan Troutman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then capers brought Burnett to play up in the mix! Where Burnett was really a good coverage safety who seemed to do his job, and still find opportunities to make impact plays outside his usual duties...

Looking at cam chancellor and Earl Thomas. I'd say haha is cam, and Burnett is Earl. But capers played it the other way around for some reason.

Burnett was stronger in the box as well, I think we had two Cam Chancellors if anything. I'd let Burnett walk (Haha/Jones can fill his role) and then try to bring in a cover guy who lines up the defense, has plenty of range and can make some plays on the ball. Nick Collins 2.0 pretty much ideally. I like the Tre Boston idea, seems to fit the profile (he isn't Collins good, but who is that can be had for a reasonable price?).

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d like to see Tyler Eifert, trumaine Johnson, and donte moncrief. Also would move Haha over to strong safety and Randall to free safety.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we had 3 DBs playing at his level or better I'd consider it. But King only showed potential before being done and Randall was easily our best DB after his benching early in the season. He plays a more important position at DB. I think he could be good at FS but we're not in a great position to find out. I think he can be a pretty good DB anyway.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm not convinced our issues at CB are fixed with King and Randall. Even if they both play well, who backs them up when they inevitably go down with injuries? Like Mondio said, the Packers need to be at least a solid 3 deep at CB.

Anyone have stats on injuries to CB's throughout the league? Maybe we are as injury prone at the position as the rest of the NFL, but sure feels like whoever is playing the position for the Packers, isn't making it more than 4 or 5 games without missing time with an injury.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm not convinced our issues at CB are fixed with King and Randall. Even if they both play well, who backs them up when they inevitably go down with injuries? Like Mondio said, the Packers need to be at least a solid 3 deep at CB.

Anyone have stats on injuries to CB's throughout the league? Maybe we are as injury prone at the position as the rest of the NFL, but sure feels like whoever is playing the position for the Packers, isn't making it more than 4 or 5 games without missing time with an injury.

Not fixed by a long shot! They should sign one and draft one.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If they were to lure Fangio, it would by cool to sign Kyle Fuller who really came on under Fangio this last season. Then you have Fuller, King, and Randall as your top three. Then draft a corner in the middle rounds to compete with Hawkins, Pipkins, and Brown to fill out the position. That’s how I would go after it.

As an aside, I think they may have something in Pipkins. Not that they should count on it— but I wouldn’t be surprised.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd let Burnett walk (Haha/Jones can fill his role) and then try to bring in a cover guy who lines up the defense, has plenty of range and can make some plays on the ball. Nick Collins 2.0 pretty much ideally. I like the Tre Boston idea, seems to fit the profile (he isn't Collins good, but who is that can be had for a reasonable price?).

I would prefer the Packers to re-sign Burnett to a reasonable deal. While it definitely would be awesome to add a player as talented as Collins unfortunately there are hardly any of them available.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would really like to get a CB in FA.
Kyle Fuller looks interesting. If Fangio becomes our DC, we have a good chance signing him with a cap-friendly contract.
There are some good CBs in Free agency and we should combine that with maybe a 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft and we should be good at CB.
One FA I would love to see here is Allen Robinson. He hasnt done much since 2015, but with AR12 as the QB, he can do great things That would also prepare the team for a departure of Nelson or Cobb, if they dont restructure their contracts.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok. He was still really good at CB, which has a higher positional value and is more difficult to find good players at.

So why move him?

Wasn't the 'really good' part pretty much the second half of the season? If so, maybe they get a Nick Collins out of moving him, which would be much better than an up-and-down CB. If not, sorry, carry on.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't the 'really good' part pretty much the second half of the season? If so, maybe they get a Nick Collins out of moving him, which would be much better than an up-and-down CB. If not, sorry, carry on.

The really good was the last 3/4 of the season. But we don't have a CB who can replace him. I think Randall would be a good safety, but it just doesn't make sense to move him.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the whole point was to GET someone to replace him, then move him to safety. As things stand/stood at the end, no question he should stay at CB.

Reaction score
Not fixed by a long shot! They should sign one and draft one.
Another benefit of signing a Veteran DB is we wouldn't necessarily have to get a 1st or second day one in the draft. That would allow us to button up other positions of need

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the whole point was to GET someone to replace him, then move him to safety. As things stand/stood at the end, no question he should stay at CB.

The problem with that is we already need one more good body at CB before we move him. I'm less confident that we'll be able to get two.

Presumably, right now today, King and Randall are no. 1 and 2 at CB. Presumably, House could be re-signed reasonably. Great, we have a reasonable 1-3. But no real depth past that. Rollins never stopped struggling and isn't terribly fast. I wouldn't be surprised if his injury ends his career. Maybe he could work in Tampa-2 scheme.

Ideally, I'd like a CB in rounds 2-4 and picking up a mid-level FA AND keep Randall at CB. If you want to move him, you almost have to double that investment. Sign two, draft two, and hope you get 2 viable starts out of the mess.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Another benefit of signing a Veteran DB is we wouldn't necessarily have to get a 1st or second day one in the draft. That would allow us to button up other positions of need

I think this is almost the route you have to take with any position of immediate need, on a team that has legit Super Bowl aspirations for the coming season. Maybe a #14 pick will get you a rookie who can start and do it well, but I sure wouldn't want to rely on it.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Current list of FA WR's. I'm sure this list will change as teams resign players and some will be added due to being cut. However, some interesting names on the list. If Jordy and Cobb won't renegotiate and the Packers end up cutting ties with both, that Frees up over $20M to use on someone like Landry and a middle of the road kind of guy. Decisions, decisions.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Current list of FA WR's. I'm sure this list will change as teams resign players and some will be added due to being cut. However, some interesting names on the list. If Jordy and Cobb won't renegotiate and the Packers end up cutting ties with both, that Frees up over $20M to use on someone like Landry and a middle of the road kind of guy. Decisions, decisions.

Sammy Watkins has always been a guy I thought could be very very productive if he ever had a QB. He finally stayed semi healthy last year with the Rams and with a solid QB looked pretty good. I actually think he’d be an upgrade over both Cobb and Nelson. He’s got deep speed and he’s always been able to create separation. I’d look hard at Watkins an Landry as upgrades tbh.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sammy Watkins has always been a guy I thought could be very very productive if he ever had a QB. He finally stayed semi healthy last year with the Rams and with a solid QB looked pretty good. I actually think he’d be an upgrade over both Cobb and Nelson. He’s got deep speed and he’s always been able to create separation. I’d look hard at Watkins an Landry as upgrades tbh.

Funny you mention him, because when I posted that list, his name jumped out at me as well. He claims to want to continue to play for the Rams. One article I read said that the problem with resigning him, he and his agent may feel his value is based more on potential than what he has done to date. The guy came into the league at the age of 20 as the #4 pick in the draft and a lot of hoopla. Now at 24 he may just be ready to explode or he continues to be just an average guy. He did have a 15.2 yd/catch ave. and 8 TD's this year, so that will probably be something a lot of people will be looking at. As you said, prior to this year, he wasn't working with a very decent QB either.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d like to see Tyler Eifert, trumaine Johnson, and donte moncrief. Also would move Haha over to strong safety and Randall to free safety.

I think moving Randall to free safety is very interesting. He is a ball-hawk DB and could be valuable in nickel and dime packages. Depending on him as a full time CB isn't feasible. Plus, having him switch positions saves GB money when its "contract time" as the CB position is a premium position.

Members online