2018 Free Agents to Target

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think moving Randall to free safety is very interesting. He is a ball-hawk DB and could be valuable in nickel and dime packages. Depending on him as a full time CB isn't feasible. Plus, having him switch positions saves GB money when its "contract time" as the CB position is a premium position.

Why is depending on him as a full time CB not feasible?

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is depending on him as a full time CB not feasible?

He gets burned on double moves. Doesn't seem to know his coverages. His interceptions are instinctual, he reads and reacts; he would be a good free safety. CBs usually play along the perimeter of the field, and against elite receivers Randall constantly got burned like the bottom of the oven. He is a good player, a second rounder, and I think Randall was a converted safety from college. GB should play to his strengths and let him loose. Its possible Capers was holding guys back with his schemes. Let's see what a new DC will do.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watkins and Landry are both going to get paid more than Cobb or Nelson currently make. We'd have to cut both to justify that or cut Cobb and have Nelson take a major cut. Not interested at all, tbh.

Conan Troutman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watkins and Landry are both going to get paid more than Cobb or Nelson currently make. We'd have to cut both to justify that or cut Cobb and have Nelson take a major cut. Not interested at all, tbh.

Agreed they're both too expensive. And wouldn't even be really good additions for us even if they weren't. Watkins hasn't really been all that consistent, Woods clearly outplayed him over the course of the year. Landry's been a far better player, but is too similar to Adams when we need more speed. Off the potential FA list, I like Lee, Richardson and Gabriel in that order.

Re: move Randall to safety: Makes a ton of sense. He even was listed as S going into the draft and I remember everbody wondering why we picked him based on his listed position. He can make plays, but as said above gets burned to often as a CB so why not try him out at S.

I would prefer the Packers to re-sign Burnett to a reasonable deal. While it definitely would be awesome to add a player as talented as Collins unfortunately there are hardly any of them available.

Doesn't have to have Collins' talent, the type of player - traditional ball-hawking free safety - is more important (maybe even Randall). Use the money for a better veteran CB.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He gets burned on double moves. Doesn't seem to know his coverages. His interceptions are instinctual, he reads and reacts; he would be a good free safety. CBs usually play along the perimeter of the field, and against elite receivers Randall constantly got burned like the bottom of the oven. He is a good player, a second rounder, and I think Randall was a converted safety from college. GB should play to his strengths and let him loose. Its possible Capers was holding guys back with his schemes. Let's see what a new DC will do.

Yeah.

I don't think we were watching the same guy this year. Randall handled Gordon. Consistently got matched up against other teams top guys and did well. By the end of the year, we moved Randall around with a WR rather than keep him on one side of the field. There was a reason for that.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Randall’s issues are between the ears. If he maintains maturity and discipline, he’s a good player who absolutely belongs at corner. If he doesn’t, moving him to free safety ain’t gonna help. That’s my take.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
We need a FS with range and cover skills along with ball skills and Randall would be perfect. HHCD belongs closer to the box and was exposed at FS last year. Capers had both these guys playing out of position.

Not sure what some people saw in House last year that makes anyone want him back. Certainly not as a no.3. Would be better off targeting Mo Claiborne. Regardless, Packers need to sign a corner and draft one with top 5 picks.

D

Deleted member 6794

Presumably, right now today, King and Randall are no. 1 and 2 at CB. Presumably, House could be re-signed reasonably. Great, we have a reasonable 1-3.

While those three players might be reasonable starters unfortunately they aren't good enough to match up with elite passing offenses.

I think moving Randall to free safety is very interesting. He is a ball-hawk DB and could be valuable in nickel and dime packages. Depending on him as a full time CB isn't feasible. Plus, having him switch positions saves GB money when its "contract time" as the CB position is a premium position.

The Packers currently don't have a valid starting cornerback on the roster allowing them to move Randall to free safety.

Doesn't have to have Collins' talent, the type of player - traditional ball-hawking free safety - is more important (maybe even Randall). Use the money for a better veteran CB.

I don't believe the Packers have a player that talented on the team though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a talented guy, and I've said from the beginning, if he accepts his coaching and works to get better he can be very good. I hope he continues this path he's on. I think he has the physical capabilities to be very good at either position. With DB being more important within the defense and his ability to be very good at it, I'd prefer to keep him there. Especially when we need King to be what we think he's going to be, and he hasn't even done anymore than flash at this point so it is a big presumption. and then we need at least 1 more consistently available better than solid DB and probably another. I don't think this team is in a position to move Randall right now.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While those three players might be reasonable starters unfortunately they aren't good enough to match up with elite passing offenses.

The Packers currently don't have a valid starting cornerback on the roster allowing them to move Randall to free safety.

Your second sentence was where I was going with it. I'd like someone better, but I was pointing out that we don't have adequate depth to consider moving Randall to safety. Depending who's available and how the draft falls, I'd like us to sign one, draft one. The signing to help with depth, the draft to hopefully find a future no. 1.

Regarding your first, I want to see what happens next year. While I'm confident that we don't have someone who can take away anyone's no. 1 WR all alone, it may be possible for our new DC to patch over stuff. Even if he can just get the back 7 to play zone in concert, that gives us a change when we face a physically superior WR core.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's already started.

Joel Bouagnon is the newest member of the Green Bay Packers. On Wednesday, Green Bay Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst announced the team has signed the free-agent running back. This is the first transaction done by the Packers general manager.

Bouagnon is a first-year player from Northern Illinois. He originally signed with the Chicago Bears in May of 2017 and was placed on injured reserve on Aug. 5 before being cut by the team on Aug. 9.

Not really an splashy start, but still another RB? Jones, Williams, Mays, TyM plus fullback Rip & Joe....we're well stocked there imo.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd prefer to have someone/a few with a greater body of work. Williams have two more carries this year than Montgomery in three but only one game over 4 YPC. Jones carried 81 times, Mays 4. Obviously, any/all of them could be great, but we've seen a number of flash-in-the-pan RBs come and go in GB.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm not really liking the FA options at edge defender. DeMarcus Lawrence is an elite FA, but there's no way he gets out of Dallas.

There are a couple interesting buy-low candidates out there like Aaron Lynch and Trent Murphy.

Beyond that, you're talking about buying high on Alex Okafor (wish they had bought low on him last offseason) or taking a big risk on underachiever Ziggy Ansah.

I'm not against taking a swing on a guy with upside, but either way I think this is one position that they need to address in the draft.

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jimmy Graham and Tyler Eifert are both worth a look.... I think a stab in the dark with Ansah wouldn’t be horrible I mean he just hasn’t got going in Detroit but a change of pace could see him fulfil his potential

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Jimmy Graham and Tyler Eifert are both worth a look.... I think a stab in the dark with Ansah wouldn’t be horrible I mean he just hasn’t got going in Detroit but a change of pace could see him fulfil his potential

For youth and durability, I would prefer that they pursue Trey Burton at tight end.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Putting the Packers needs aside for a moment, the positions that look strong in free agency to me are:

- Running Back: Bell, Hyde, Lewis, Burkhead, Sims, Crowell, Darkwa, McKinnon, West, Blue. Bell won’t actually hit the market, but everyone else realistically could and that would be a deep group of contributors.

-Wide Receiver: Robinson, Landry Watkins, Lee, Richardson, Moncrief, Matthews, Wilson, Gabriel, Butler, Pryor

-Cornerback: Johnson, Butler, Breeland, Fuller, Amukamara, Robinson, Gaines, Joseph

Reese2017

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know a lot of people like talking about the draft around this time of year, but for me the FA signing period can play a role in who you go after in the draft.

With TT out as GM, will the Packers be more active in Free Agency?

What positions/players should they go after?

You can always hope that a first or second round pick will come in and fill a need immediately, but for the Packers to be successful in 2018, I think they have to look long and hard at filling the needs at the following position through Free Agency. I'm not saying go after all high end guys, but I would love to see more depth with veteran guys.

OLB, TE, CB, #2 QB, and OL
DL DL dl

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Landry is garbage and Watkins isn't worth any money. Allen Robinson is the receiver to sign he'll be reasonable priced is young and a much better player than either Watkins or Landry. And actually moving Randall to free safety might not be a bad idea. Pettines system is single high safety system and depends a lot on a play making safety. Randall has proven he can cover NFL receivers nice to have a safety who can do that he's athletic and fast so he could cover alot of ground as a single high. My only reservation would be that I'm not sure he's smart enough to play that role. From Pettines comments his system works better the smarter the player. And I've long noticed this about the NFL the better players are the smarter players. Yeah Charles woodson and Julius peppers are elite athletes but they are hall of famers because they're smart.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Landry is garbage and Watkins isn't worth any money. Allen Robinson is the receiver to sign he'll be reasonable priced is young and a much better player than either Watkins or Landry. And actually moving Randall to free safety might not be a bad idea. Pettines system is single high safety system and depends a lot on a play making safety. Randall has proven he can cover NFL receivers nice to have a safety who can do that he's athletic and fast so he could cover alot of ground as a single high. My only reservation would be that I'm not sure he's smart enough to play that role. From Pettines comments his system works better the smarter the player. And I've long noticed this about the NFL the better players are the smarter players. Yeah Charles woodson and Julius peppers are elite athletes but they are hall of famers because they're smart.

Just curious. How do you call Landry "garbage"?

His Stats for his first 4 years in the league.

400 receptions
4,038 yards
10.1 ave/catch
22 TDs

We won't be able to afford Landry, so I don't expect the Packers to even sniff him, but his production would be nice.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just curious. How do you call Landry "garbage"?

His Stats for his first 4 years in the league.

400 receptions
4,038 yards
10.1 ave/catch
22 TDs

We won't be able to afford Landry, so I don't expect the Packers to even sniff him, but his production would be nice.

Ok garbage was a bit strong but not worth 10 million a year at all and also not a player the Packers need on the team at any price. He's a slow plodding receiver who is the benefit of a ridiculous number of targets he averaged 8.8 yards per catch in 2017.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Ok garbage was a bit strong but not worth 10 million a year at all and also not a player the Packers need on the team at any price. He's a slow plodding receiver who is the benefit of a ridiculous number of targets he averaged 8.8 yards per catch in 2017.

I honestly have never seen the guy play, so all I knew about him was the stats when I looked him up. The few articles I read after seeing his stat,would lead me to believe he would be a negative attitude kind of guy to have on your team. He is all gung ho and excited, as long as he is involved, but gets chippy and snippy when things aren't going his way. While I would like to see the Packers with a bit more "attitude", not the "me me me" kind.