To those who oppose a Release

joe_smoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a question to all those who oppose the release of brett favre.

If brett has given the fans all he has had within him for 17 years and played the game to the best of his ability then why cant we give something back to him and grant him his release?

It is obvious that the packers have moved forward and to bring him back as anything less than the starter would be a joke. He stated on Greta tonight that there is no place like green bay and that no one can ever replace what the fans have meant to him. I mean im just saying shouldnt we just let him go and grant him this one wish? Who cares if he goes to a contender, he deserves to play for a contender if we dont want him. Why would anyone want to put him on a shelf or send him to a team that will never give him an opportunity to play the game he loves the way he loves to play it.

Even if the last 3 years have been less than pleasant, he still gave us 14 excellent ones.

Shouldnt we give him something back for all he has done for us?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
joe_smoe said:

If brett has given the fans all he has had within him for 17 years and played the game to the best of his ability then why cant we give something back

That's when I stopped reading.

He's made over 50 million dollars for his services as Green Bay's QB.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. This is a competitive sport -- but it's also a business. You don't let a "commodity" like Brett Favre have a chance to go to a division rival like Minnesota. Brett is a pro -- he most likely gets it. Favre is my all-time favorite and I've been watching him lead the green and gold since I was about 7 years old. That said, no one is bigger than the team. It's unfortunate that there were certain miscommunications and it's unfortunate that he regrets his decision, but that is the nature of the game. He said for years his willingness to never miss a start was largely driven by his fear of losing his spot. He knew the risk of retiring, but he went through it. Furthermore, he rescinded on a deal to return to Green Bay at the eleventh hour. He followed that by putting the Packers in an extremely difficult situation.

It's SAD and UPSETTING to watch. I feel bad for all parties involved. But no amount of good ol' times or sentimentality for Brett can trump -- in my opinion -- the way the Packers go about helping the Packers be their best.

Maybe Brett will get a chance to compete for the job. I hope he takes it so that he can make right on the way this should be handled. I just don't think it will get that far.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me nothing short of starting Brett in 2008 and locking Rodgers into a 5 year contract will be enough after this fiasco. Brett in any other uniform would be too unbearable for me. A release is out of the question. If he insist on playing it has to be for the Packers and he won't take less than the starting position. I don't know how this would be possible without offering Aaron a sizeable deal and a signing bonus. If managment feels that strongly that Aaron is our future (I do also) then this shouldn't be a huge hurddle. Brett was willing to take a pay cut to get Moss so he may be willing to take one to lock down Rodgers. After it's his fault Aaron and the Packers are in this position.

All parties need to get away from the media and sit down and get this straightened out before this becomes unrepairable.

My :twocents:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When this story first broke a couple days ago, I thought maybe they should just grant him his request and release him. But whatever warm, fuzzy feeling management may have had toward Favre is ancient history by now. This is all business. They should get something for him in a trade if they can, and if that doesn't work, then they can release him.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have returned every favor Favre has given them by giving him an awful lot of money. I don't know the exact amount but through his entire career, he has to be among the highest paid players to ever play in the NFL.

Would I like to see Favre keep playing? Yes but not at the cost of the Green Bay Packers. I wish I could see him play in a place like Washington, N.Y. Jets, or maybe even Tampa Bay and Carolina just to name a few.

A release would send him to Minnesota in my opinion.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont get it either, and people here keep saying its business, I think its bad business, if Packers dont feel Brett has what it takes to the get job done in Green Bay and they dont want him to start as QB then why do they fear him going to an opposing team? Because what? They might loose to him? This makes NO sense to me at all. If they fear loosing a game without Favre, then why isnt he starting in Green Bay? Business or no business this is all pretty stupid IMO..The Packers IMO are making a big mistake. Again tonight in his interview, he couldnt be more honest and genuine he tells it the way it is, and he isnt saying he was 100 % right in what choice he made but all this man wants to do is play again, why is this so wrong> If the Packers dont want him then the Packers should release him, let him go where he wants, I think over the last 17 years of what he has given this organization he deserves this, to make his own choice on where he wants to play. And I know most of you will say, well then we would have to play against him, well if you all fear this, then why are you so against him coming back to Green Bay? And if they want him to back up Rodgers this is totally ridiculous, like Favre has said why should he? He shouldnt, he has proven over and over again that he is the best why now should he have to prove himself?

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT will never cut Brett. First off - the Minnesota Vikings are a good QB away from being serious Super Bowl contenders. Why would TT ever put that missing piece on a platter for them? Secondly - would you want to be remembered as the guy who cut Brett Favre?

No. Brett will be traded. We will get something for him. Or both parties will kiss and make up, and Brett will play for us this year. That's still a possibility here - even if the kissing isn't all that heartfelt.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont get it either, and people here keep saying its business, I think its bad business, if Packers dont feel Brett has what it takes to the get job done in Green Bay and they dont want him to start as QB then why do they fear him going to an opposing team? Because what? They might loose to him? This makes NO sense to me at all. If they fear loosing a game without Favre, then why isnt he starting in Green Bay? Business or no business this is all pretty stupid IMO..The Packers IMO are making a big mistake. Again tonight in his interview, he couldnt be more honest and genuine he tells it the way it is, and he isnt saying he was 100 % right in what choice he made but all this man wants to do is play again, why is this so wrong> If the Packers dont want him then the Packers should release him, let him go where he wants, I think over the last 17 years of what he has given this organization he deserves this, to make his own choice on where he wants to play. And I know most of you will say, well then we would have to play against him, well if you all fear this, then why are you so against him coming back to Green Bay? And if they want him to back up Rodgers this is totally ridiculous, like Favre has said why should he? He shouldnt, he has proven over and over again that he is the best why now should he have to prove himself?

But you're approaching it emotionally. This is just like any other bottomless debates that involve reason against emotion or science vs. religion.

You have to understand that the NFL is a business and for a team to be successful they have to follow along a fairly stringent schedule. The timetable for Favre to have a change of heart came -- obvoiusly, I mean, he almost came back -- but then it passed. It passed when Favre rescinded the final time and the Packers drafted two quarterbacks and installed offensive changes. It's too late for Favre to join the Packers. This is sad and unfortunate and Brett Favre's fault. There were multiple chances to come back. The miscommunication that Favre claims had existed between himself and TT and MM is his side of things, and if true would be UNFORTUNATE. But it's not binding. This isn't about "feel good" or being sentimental. Favre can't be allowed to play for a division rival. But he should honor his word and stay retired or at the very extreme come to camp and compete for his job (which most agree he'd almost certainly WIN that job).

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This idea that they should release him because they're going with Rodgers is just ridiculous in my opinion.

Of course the best thing to do is bring Favre back but the ship has now sailed. Let's say taking Rodgers over Favre is a horrible move. It might be and it might workout but let's say it is.

You can't continue to make one poor decision after another. That's the answer.

Releasing Favre would be a horrible decision.

Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy have never criticize Favre's ability to continue to play the game. They constantly say they'll do what's best for the Green Bay Packers.

Well that would be to get something for him. It's pretty obvious. Trade is the best for the Packers considering the circumstance the Packers have put themselves in and for Brett Favre considering the circumstance Brett Favre has put himself in.

Certain players have the ability to beat certain teams. Brett Favre is one of those players. The Packers realize that and that's why they won't move on without him. They've moved on but that doesn't mean they've moved on to the point that they'll tell themselves Favre isn't a great QB. They know he is and that's why they'll trade him to get something for him. It's what's best for the franchise. Nobody can honestly say releasing Brett Favre and having him go to Minnesota is what's best for the Green Bay Packers or their fans.

Here's a quote from Brad Childress

"You can make an argument for one side and an argument for another," Childress said of the hypothetical prospect of bringing a 38-year-old star quarterback into the mix. "But I can't waste a lot of energy. All I can do is take a look at the waivers every day and see if there's somebody that's better than somebody on the roster. That's really all you can evaluate."

Sounds like he's not closing the door on Favre if he had the chance.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would never debate Porky at all. But I read somewhere today that Childress said he wasn't interested at all. Star Tribune maybe?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would never debate Porky at all. But I read somewhere today that Childress said he wasn't interested at all. Star Tribune maybe?

Oh I have no doubt that he will send messages saying absolutely Jackson is his guy. That's what I would do too.

I think that would change if Favre were released and free to sign anywhere.

I think that quote is kind of interesting. He said look and see if somebody is better than somebody on the roster. I think he's quite aware that Favre is better than Jackson.

I also read that Jackson wasn't really complaining about it either. He said he'd prepare as the starter and not worry about things he can't control. That's a good answer for him to give considering all the speculation in my opinion.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont get it either

you're thinking about it in total girl terms Heather. you need to smoke a cigar, maybe fire a gun and drink some whiskey.

kidding. but seriously, you seem like a very devout and loyal person. so much so that you would let an employee get away with murder simply because you worked with them so long.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
joe_smoe said:

If brett has given the fans all he has had within him for 17 years and played the game to the best of his ability then why cant we give something back to him and grant him his release?

I'll take, "Because this is pro football and not charity " for $200 Alex.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:
I dont get it either

you're thinking about it in total girl terms Heather. you need to smoke a cigar, maybe fire a gun and drink some whiskey.

kidding. but seriously, you seem like a very devout and loyal person. so much so that you would let an employee get away with murder simply because you worked with them so long.

I am drinking Whiskey I mean Rum..LOL..I also have some army pants and thinking of getting a gun..j/k...LOL..

I am a very loyal person, but I have to disagree on the letting an employee get away with murder because I worked with them for so long. At my job now if I was running the place I would fire 6 people because they do NOT do their job, so dont think thats the case. I am loyal to Brett Favre though, but not because I feel bad for him, I know we want to win games this year and I know IMO hes the best man for the job at QB. I always thought a team keeps their best players not trades them. The Packers can still change their minds on Favre I would surely think if they did it would be the best for the team. Thanks for trying to make me understand everyone, I just want to do whats best for the Green Bay Packers.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
joe_smoe said:

If brett has given the fans all he has had within him for 17 years and played the game to the best of his ability then why cant we give something back

Maybe thats a lot of money for a person like you but consider that the #1 draft pick in this years draft got a signing bonus around 30 million, its not really that much. Alex Rodriguez is on is second 250 million dollar guaranteed contract. Its really not that much. Brett could have had much bigger contracts all throughout his career. He always gave the team friendly contracts.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
joe_smoe said:

Maybe thats a lot of money for a person like you but consider that the #1 draft pick in this years draft got a signing bonus around 30 million, its not really that much. Alex Rodriguez is on is second 250 million dollar guaranteed contract. Its really not that much. Brett could have had much bigger contracts all throughout his career. He always gave the team friendly contracts.

I cant believe you're arguing this. Hes gonna be on welfare soon!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
joe_smoe said:

dude i dont have the time to look up the actual numbers... but i threw 50 million out there as a low number just so no body would argue it and i thought it sent the point home(that didnt work). but if you paid anyone 50 million dollars and they didnt feel that was enough compensation... they can kiss my ***.

but I think its WAY over 50 million dollars anyway. If Favre averaged 8 million a year for 16 years, which is probably pretty close. thats 128 million dollars for every ache and pain Favre has dealt with. He has been more than fairly compensated for his time here.

This issue goes way past money and sentimental value. We all love Brett, but the minute he starts questioning management moves as if he has any say, then it becomes a huge huge power issue.

If Favre had his way... we would still have every player from the 96 squad because it worked then so it must now. I mean i cant believe he is pissed at TT for releasing Wahle or Rivera... both washed up. No other GM in the world has sought the services of Mooch since his last gig that we know of... yet Brett wants him as head coach. Look at those management moves that Favre would have made against what TT has done (however unpopular they may be) and i guarentee you TT fields the better team.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
Heatherthepackgirl said:
I dont get it either

I am drinking Whiskey I mean Rum..LOL..I also have some army pants and thinking of getting a gun..j/k...LOL..

I am a very loyal person, but I have to disagree on the letting an employee get away with murder because I worked with them for so long. At my job now if I was running the place I would fire 6 people because they do NOT do their job, so dont think thats the case. I am loyal to Brett Favre though, but not because I feel bad for him, I know we want to win games this year and I know IMO hes the best man for the job at QB. I always thought a team keeps their best players not trades them. The Packers can still change their minds on Favre I would surely think if they did it would be the best for the team. Thanks for trying to make me understand everyone, I just want to do whats best for the Green Bay Packers.
With the interview last night, he said he wouldn't compete for the starting job. He willingly gave up the starting job when he retired.....twice. Now he's too big to compete for it? I quit a job once, and was rehired the next year when the place i went to had "cut backs". Guess what? I lost all my seniority, and started back at the bottom of the line. I lost all my years vacation wise. I didn't even EXPECT to start back where i had left off. Yet Favre thinks it should just be handed back to him? Snatch it away from Rodgers?
Plus........listening to Favre talk, he STILL doesn't sound like he's even 100% committed to play, ANYWHERE. When he was asked, he hee'd and hawed and didn't give a solid answer. So......he wants his release to MAYBE play again.
It would be a boneheaded move by Packer brass.
Plus.....like Childress stated and was quoted in this thread. He isn't interested in Favre.......(yeah, right)....he's committed to Jackson.
Now....who here wants to bet that if Favre was released, that Childress wouldn't be the first in line to try to get Favre? And if he DID get Favre.......wanna bet that Jackson would be crying and saying "You lied to me coach! You said you were committed to ME!"
You know....like Favre is crying how TT said one thing to him, and something else to others. Mgmt sometimes has to say things out in public to protect the company.
Think of this.......TT said Favre had nothing to do with the Moss garbage. Now we know otherwise. Now thing of this........if it got out that a QB was running the franchise, and NOT the GM, what problems could have come from that? Agents going to FAVRE to try to get him to tell TT to sign THEIR guy? It would undermine the whole Packer mgmt.
JMO

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im starting to think Brett wants his release so that he can go play for the Vikings. I always knew it was an option, but now i think it what hes wanted to do all along.

he said something to the effect of Tampa wasn't very hot on his list of teams, that he preferred to play in a cooler enviroment. and the mere fact that he wants a release instead of a trade means that he knows they wont trade to Minny and thats where he wants to go... because he sees a good team up there. but i think he mostly wants to go there so that he can stick it to TT.

Releasing Favre is not even an option.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe, "WE" can't do a thing about Brett. All "WE" can do is talking about it. The Packers organization is the one who decides what is best for the team.
They will never give him his release. It makes no sense to them to do so.

Here's what you can do. Go to the bank and get $1000. Then walk out on to the street, drop it on the ground and walk away. If you can do that then come back and tell us that you think it is right to release Brett no questions asked. After all you have had money before. It bought you some good times and you have fond memories I am sure of buying stuff with your money. Sure you have had some problems too but you probably have had 14 years worth of enjoyment out of money.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett should know better than anyone why he isn't going to get released. He clearly knows the answer to that. But I'll tell you this. In a few short weeks Brett Favre has irreparably damaged his reputation in this state. I believe the majority of the people are sick of him and his antics. Brett, go away!

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
tromadz said:
joe_smoe said:

I cant believe you're arguing this.
What's that, you don't like the facts?