Tyni's December Mock - Repeating a Trend...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well....here's goes nothing. For this mock we are sticking with a five rounder...although I throw in some late round targets just for folks to be familiar with the names....

*I did change our location to 19th pick assuming we sneak into the playoffs

1.19 - Terrion Arnold CB Alabama 6'0' 196lbs
(enter eyerolls)...yup the trend of both defensive player continues. However, it really shouldn't come as too big of a shock. The position of where we will select the likely positions I bet we go are (INPO) edge, CB or S. Positional value on the first two and true need on the safety. While Cooper DeJean was there - I struggle with thinking he will be and wanted to introduce folks to a guy I've not mentioned who I think is going to be a first rounder with some immense upside. Arnold over the last two seasons at Bama truly has been special and in 2023 his uptick to producing 5 INTs, 12 PBUs and 6.5 TFLs was an incredible season for any CB, let alone one in the SEC. Rasul is gone, Stokes isn't healthy again yet and the whole massively weird Jaire situation are all true and real things in Green Bay...yes you have Valentine that at times showcased potential...but is that more that rookie with hair unfire success that will subside or not no one knows. Why not add a HIGH end CB that is young, no doubt will make the athletic thresholds we prefer that can come in and start. This season he took over a 100snaps lined up in the slot and excelled too which is added versatility that up until this season he hadn't had to present.

While his mechanical style of back pedaling is arguably the most concerning part of his game, everything else about this young man is fluid and natural with a burst that (like Stoke's speed) can overcome his rawness leaving wideouts, QBs and folks watching thinking this dude is just flat pure. It is this athletic make up as to why I'd love to see him get more calls to play up in more press position than zone and soft-shoe press. IMO, you add Arnold to the team he bumps both Nixon and Valentine down the ranks...possibly Stokes (as no one knows just what he is post-injuries now).

2.39 - Patrick Paul OT Houston 6'7' 315lbs
Unofficially (seen pictures though) this man has arms easily over 36 inches and a wingspan over seven foot...needless to say measurables CHECK. I highly expect his athletic scores to meet threshold...the only part of him that isn't typical Packer type is he is now a five year guy entering the draft so not quite a youngin'. BUT, what this cat has put on tape over the last three years is nothing short of impressive. The way he has stacked improvement upon improvement has been special. This year I think he finally put his footwork and handwork skills into a category of elite for college prospects and is why he only allowed 7 QB pressures of ANY kind and NO sacks (only one of those was the QB touched/hit). While he has been Houston's LT - however his footwork and ability to move I fully expect if we desired he flip sides it would be of zero issue - opening up the ability if they would desire to put Tom elsewhere they could. Regardless of where you plug Paul, you draft him I fully expect he would be part of a best 5 unless we sign a FA in the offseason. Whether that is LT and Walker moves or is LT2 OR if you put Paul at RT and Tom slides in to RG or C even it doesn't matter.

2.51 - Edgerrin Cooper LB Texas A&M 6'3' 230lbs
An attacker. Cooper is NOT a guy you ask to play passive or set back. He does best when allowed to be instinctual and on the attack/movement in a proactive sense. His length is impressive and shows up consistently it seems in every game where it allows him to make tackles outside his body when his athleticism helped just get him to the ball carrier enough to get hands on them. This ear's pinned mentality has allowed him to be an excellent blitzer and excel in a spy type role in his time at TAMU. To me watching him I see the athleticism of Quay but the tenacity and willingness to get his nose bloody like AJ Hawk had...an odd mix I know but go watch the film. I have no faith left that Campbell is what everyone hoped and that father time is hitting him hard.....and Quay I still think can be special...but hit a sophomore stall this year and McDuffie is the perfect depth type guy - we need a true candidate to take over a starting role and Cooper just might be that from day1.

3.81 - McKinnley Jackson iDL Texas A&M 6'2' 325lbs
We've done it before, double dipping from a school, but this time it is back to back and both from the defense. Everyone knows I'm in love with T'Vondre Sweat...but he won't sniff the third round and I predict Byron Murphy to be gone by here as well.....but I really want GB to not have to be in a position where TJ Slaton's big amount of snaps must be resigned in the offseason (his contract is up). Perfect world he is a guy that doesn't get a ton of interest, we draft his potential replacement AND still resign him back on a cheap one year deal and you get both. Worst case though Jackson is the next A/B gap run stuffer type role that Slaton has had to fill this year and at times well....there were games he did his role very well, but the rest of the run defense couldn't stop a parked car from gaining eight yards. Some of his best moves are his swipes/club, swim move and surprisingly deadly at his size with a spin move that showcases his agility and footwork. The only part of his game I am worried about is gauging moments of defeat and sinking his hips, dropping the sand in the legs and controlling his position through the play - "winning" to a lesser degree on the play by not giving ground or loosening a lane.

3.83 - Zak Zinter OG Michigan 6'6' 322lbs
One of thee best guards in college football - and along one of the best OL's in college football he is pointed to as the lynchpin of it. Just a pure guard in every form of the position - he has been incredible over the years at Michigan. In THREE years this man has seen only 30 pressures (16 of those in 2021) with only 3 sacks (NONE this year). This CFP is going to be an amazing time for him to showcase his skills especially against Bama and if they win and Texas wins then against that interior Texas front that is just incredible. Zinter would be ideal for RG replacement...and there is a world in this draft grouping that perhaps you go Tom center, Zinter RG and Paul or a slid over Walker at RT even. The ONLY thing I wonder is if Zinter's height at guard could be an issue, his leg bend would be crucial in providing passing lanes....it is really my only concern with a Zinter pick and plug direction.

4.119 - Gabriel Murphy EDGE UCLA 6'3' 260lbs
While everyone is pulling up UCLA tape and watching Latu - arguably the EDGE#1 of the class - don't sleep on the dude opposite of him who has stacked three stretch incredible seasons with 27 hurries in 2021, then 35 and this past year he put up 42 pressures (four more than Latu). That's 104 in three seasons. Built like a NFL edge defender already he is used to being moved on both sides and even in the middle for pressure there too. An awesome 22.4% pass-rush win rate is something again that if Latu wasn't there would be catching more eyes. I'll be shocked if he sees the 5th round...but it seems that could be the case - although he is a guy I fully expect is hoping to use the combine to get some light off Latu and over onto him - if he does that he could threaten a late Day2 type pick. In this draft though we continue to build towards the post-Preston time frame where LVN and likes of Enagbare and such have to fulfill a bigger role - Gabriel comes in as good as Kingsley did as a rookie with a more ready body type IMO too.

4.135 - Braelon Allen RB Wisconsin 6'2' 245
Three year average of 5.9 yards per carry at Wisconsin, eclipsed double digit TDs each season (12,11,12)...stacked on 49 receptions as well, 28 this past season to showcase ability to be dual threat...and exited with 3,769 total yards produced. A bigger back with wiggle and some juice I like to think of as the slightly less powerful Audric Estime of the draft - Allen would for sure come into almost any backfield as a guy that could be leaned on as a RB2. The running back class is crazy odd this year and likes of Irving, Lloyd, Estime, Allen, Shipley, Davis, Benson, Corum just to name a few I think all could see picked late second round clear till late fourth/early fifth - it is all so tough to predict so we will throw Allen in here and call it a day.

A few guys for late Day3 to keep eye on:

Javon Foster OT Missouri - IF he is still there 5th on - he is my Z Tom type guy I would make a target.
Darius Robinson EDGE/DL Hybrid type Missouri
Frank Gore Jr RB Southern Miss
Isaiah Davis RB South Dakota State
Joshua Gray OT Oregon State - the guy everyone ignores due to Fuaga being on the opposite side.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Notes I'd have to say if this was how the draft started:

- The true negative or should I say concerning thing would be the lack of attention to the Safety position. That would be a Day3 target and I'd want to nab a couple prospects to hopefully have on hit....and FA would have to be in the mix to solve as well.

- I'd be excited to see where the OL washes out and would bet Newman wouldn't make it to the 53 once it is all said and done. I'd bet one of these two lines would be our starting line up:

Walker / Jenkins / Myers / Tom / Paul OR Paul / Jenkins / Myers / Zinter or Rhyan / Tom

-The above said, Zinter would be the one pick that I'd question the most perhaps given his height and limited role as only a guard ever (despite being an insanely good one).

- LB boost that Cooper would add would also have me excited, even if Campbell stays that group as a whole just got a surge and I'd hope the pressure of having Cooper would be the push Walker needs.

- If a decision on Dillon hadn't been made yet, I'd fully support waiting it out or offering him a Hback/RB3 role with the team in a contract discussion and plan on Allen being our RB2....that's with the assumption Jones isn't a cap casualty...in which case I'd suspect it is a Dillon/Allen + another type 2024 year.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Few more observations...

Most likely to possibly NOT be available where I picked them - McKinnley, many will say Allen but again the running back position is a crap shoot most years to predict from 33-133 picks but this year is even more so as no one has separated themselves clearly. McKinnley however will be the "consolation" prize to TVondre and is truly a force in the middle of a defensive line.

Most "coin toss" guy is Cooper...you're betting on his athleticism and knack for just making plays to truly carry over to the next level.

Reaction score
good write up.
Our draft position puts us near perfectly in line for 1 of the best
2 CB’s in college. I believe your scenario would inject some competition into the room.

I still think we should trade for or sign a Veteran Safety. If Savage wants more than around the $3-5mil yearly I’d personally move on. In addition, we should go get us a Safety inside those first 4 Rounds.
Ideally we’d leave with James Williams (Miami FL) Rd3-4, but there are a few others I like in earlier Day 3, such as Latham Ransom from Ohio State. These are more physical options than we are accustomed. We’ve lost some physicality when Amos parted ways and it can be felt.

If we sign a Veteran, I’d be ok with an early Day 3 pick at Safety. If we don’t sign a Veteran Safety, it’s a Top 3 selection for GB (call it a Top 50 overall draft selection) and at the very latest… earlier of our Rd3 options.

Although my dream pick would be Nubin anywhere past Day1, even in a slight move up. His allowed QB rating in 2021 across 653 snaps was nothing short of Elite. He’s a ball magnet and disruptive Tackling turnover machine. Broke the Gophers INT record with 13 INT.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good write up.
Our draft position puts us near perfectly in line for 1 of the best
2 CB’s in college. I believe your scenario would inject some competition into the room.

I still think we should trade for or sign a Veteran Safety. If Savage wants more than around the $3-5mil yearly I’d personally move on. In addition, we should go get us a Safety inside those first 4 Rounds.
Ideally we’d leave with James Williams (Miami FL) Rd3-4, but there are a few others I like in earlier Day 3, such as Latham Ransom from Ohio State. These are more physical options than we are accustomed. We’ve lost some physicality when Amos parted ways and it can be felt.

If we sign a Veteran, I’d be ok with an early Day 3 pick at Safety. If we don’t sign a Veteran Safety, it’s a Top 3 selection for GB (call it a Top 50 overall draft selection) and at the very latest… earlier of our Rd3 options.

Although my dream pick would be Nubin anywhere past Day1, even in a slight move up. His allowed QB rating in 2021 across 653 snaps was nothing short of Elite. He’s a ball magnet and disruptive Tackling turnover machine. Broke the Gophers INT record with 13 INT.

Cole Bishop out of Utah is a guy I have rated higher than Williams but is in that same 3rd - 5th projections for many that is excellent prospect in that range IMO.

Jaden Hicks is my safety of choice for late Day2 though, BUT truthfully I've not seen many folks have him in their top 100 like I have him just squeeking in presently at 98

Demani Richardson is another safety that honestly fell back down prospect charts as some had him as high on their boards as a fifth rounder or so last season, he chose to go back to TAMU and truthfully I don't think he got worse, it is just many others passed him. He is a fairly diverse safety that is decent across the board but arguably doesn't excel at any one thing however.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to sour on picking players from here or even Georgia. They have extremely high floors but really don't have much room for improvement so their ceiling is basically what you drafted. Have Stokes/Walker/Wyatt really improve much over incremental knowledge of how to play in the league?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm beginning to sour on picking players from here or even Georgia. They have extremely high floors but really don't have much room for improvement so their ceiling is basically what you drafted. Have Stokes/Walker/Wyatt really improve much over incremental knowledge of how to play in the league?

Stokes I felt progressed a ton that rookie year...and now is just regression due to injury that I'm worried may never regain his traction he once had...I wonder if he could be a free safety type?

Walker is for sure having a sophomore stall....and Wyatt is progressing but dangit way too slow of a pace for a first rounder.

Terrion to be fair is a little different in that he truly turned it on just over the last couple and had to fight to get where he is and arguably unlike a ton of other Bama corners (which I almost always dislike) don't seem to have peeked yet.

It's a fair critique though because for as amazing as the schools are in college, it has not been as surefire as you'd think drafting a DB from either school

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is that the 6'5" kid that likes to hit and would be a good pick to be the S/LB combo guy they've been trying to get?

Yeah James is VERY TALL. Crazy thing is he has some juice/speed to him and even lined up deep a lot for them:

Snaps by spot for 2023:

DLine - 60
Slot - 97
Corner - 19
Box - 254
Deep - 300

Reaction score
Is that the 6'5" kid that likes to hit and would be a good pick to be the S/LB combo guy they've been trying to get?
Yes. He’s got Derwin James physicality and really unique height advantage. He’s not a total ball hawk like Nubin, but he’d be an upgrade over our current Safeties imo

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
My Christmas Mock Draft

1 -11. - DL JerZhan Newton - Illinois
2 - 38 - S Tyler Nubin - Minnesota
2 - 42 - OT Patrick Paul - Houston
3 - 76 - LB Jeremiah Trotter - Clemson
3 - 82 - TE Cade Stover - Ohio State
4 - 111 - IOL Jackson Powers-Johnson - Oregon
4 - 134 - WR Jermaine Burton - Alabama
6 - 188 - CB Johnny Dixon - Penn State
6 - 215 - RB Frank Gore - Southern Miss
6 - 217 - DL Ashton Gillotte - Louisville
7 - 229 - LB Tyreice Knight - UTEP

I used NFL Mock Draft Database. Don't know if it's legitimately close in player rankings or not. I chose BPA at positions I thought had highest priority. No trades. Would be interested in any comments and critiques.

Reaction score
My Christmas Mock Draft

I used NFL Mock Draft Database. Don't know if it's legitimately close in player rankings or not. I chose BPA at positions I thought had highest priority. No trades. Would be interested in any comments and critiques.
I actually really like it as a whole.

The only thing I might differ with is a TE that early after doubling RD2,3 Although I like the idea of grabbing a TE, if it’s a draft on “need” not before

Jeremiah Trotter should go before RD3. Whiles there’s no Bonafide Day1 Box LB (call it top 16) he’d be one of the top choices of Day2 players. Although I thought Kraft would go a little earlier and I was wrong on him so there’s that.

Nice draft. Love the Patrick Paul selection right after Nubin. Nubin is one of my favorites. Jer’Zhan, Nubin, Trotter would do alot to fix our rushing D

Last edited:
Reaction score
I’m going to just go off my gut. Packets finish 8-9 and picking #14.

#15 Jer’Zhan DT
#38 Tyler Nubin Saf
#47 Patrick Paul OT
#78 Malachi Corley WR
#88 Jonathan Brooks RB
#118 Max Melton CB (joins Bo)
#135 Payton Wilson, LB
6th Round Frank Gore Jr RB

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
My Christmas Mock Draft

Not worried about the RB position in the draft? Looking for a FA or expecting to re-sign and stand pat?

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3.83 - Zak Zinter OG Michigan 6'6' 322lbs
This CFP is going to be an amazing time for him to showcase his skills especially against Bama and if they win and Texas wins then against that interior Texas front that is just incredible.

Zak broke his tibia and fibula against Ohio State in late November. Have to see how the rehab goes. Pre-injury he was in the mid 2nd rd discussion so, don't think he would have lasted til the 3rd.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Not worried about the RB position in the draft? Looking for a FA or expecting to re-sign and stand pat?
I chose according to player rank, not position. I did deviate in 3rd round where I drafted a TE ranked a little lower than Braelon Allen ( who I have severe reservations about drafting). I did want at least 1 RB and got him with picking Gore.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zak broke his tibia and fibula against Ohio State in late November. Have to see how the rehab goes. Pre-injury he was in the mid 2nd rd discussion so, don't think he would have lasted til the 3rd.

That’s confirmed and cannot believe I missed that on all my spreadsheets. He is a solid Day2 pick but that injury may have slid him to a day3 steal type. Doubt I’m picking him where I did if say either Christians are there which bet one is and they’re pure guards too.

The Oregon center with guard experience I think has Green Bay written all over him too, but gotta use a second on him I bet.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s confirmed and cannot believe I missed that on all my spreadsheets. He is a solid Day2 pick but that injury may have slid him to a day3 steal type. Doubt I’m picking him where I did if say either Christians are there which bet one is and they’re pure guards too.

The Oregon center with guard experience I think has Green Bay written all over him too, but gotta use a second on him I bet.
Yeah, I heard a spiral fracture. This could mean a really tough recovery and long term concern. May go well into day 3.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say we go with a Cooper theme day 1 and 2

1. Cooper DeJean. S

2a. Edgerrin Cooper LB

3a. Cooper Beebe. OG

Beebe is probably the pick where there will be a player the Packers prefer more due to athletic limitations for Beebe.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say we go with a Cooper theme day 1 and 2

1. Cooper DeJean. S

2a. Edgerrin Cooper LB

3a. Cooper Beebe. OG

Beebe is probably the pick where there will be a player the Packers prefer more due to athletic limitations for Beebe.

I’ll say this much, if Beebe makes it out of the second I full heartedly think every GM should lose their job. He is the purest guard I think I’ve seen ever.

Members online

Latest posts