Who is our #2 RB this year?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id dont see our #2 RB on the roster currently. Do we go free agent? Or draft?

Here is 3 day 2 picks, who ran sub-4.4... and theyre all fairly big back with future starter potential. Good building blocks. Havnt looked at injury history or stats.... But losing jones speed, I think opens up the need for that speedy change up player from Jacobs pounding it.

Issac Guerendo(Louisville/ round 2-3 projected after imo, after combine ) 6' - 221... Ran a effn 4.33 and has a 41.5 vert. That's elite... He could develope into a stud backing up Jacobs. And catch a tired defense off guard coming in fresh... Id take the risk and draft him a round higher than projected.

Jaylen Wright (Tennessee/round 2-3 projected) 5'11". 210. Ran a 4.38, and 38" vert. Aaaand 134" broad jump!?! Pretty special... Again, a bigger back who could develope into a 300 carry back. And still has that break away speed I like. A perfect #2 RB prospect while Jacobs wears defenses down.

Trey Benson (Florida State./ Round 2 projected)6'. 216 4.39 /40, and a average 33.5 very (imo) but a above average 122" broad. He surely has burst for a big guy.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I very much doubt they will sign another veteran FA RB. If I had to guess, I'd say either the 2nd of their 2nd rounds picks up until the 4th. The RB draft class this year seems like a muddled mess and probably will see a run around the 3rd round.

The fan in me would like to see Allen be drafted by the Packers, but given the Packers love them some RAS scores (Dillon was like a 9.15?), I would think one of these 5 : Guerendo, J. Wright, T. Benson, M. Lloyd or D. Laube will be drafted by the Packers in a few weeks.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards the draft as well but now we are looking for a #2 and not a#2 possibly a #1 in a year. We have more options. While we probably don't want to wait until late day three for a complete development player its not as urgent. In this case I could even see a lower teir veteran FA later on. Someone who might have a year or two left but wont cost 7 million dollars. I would even consider taking Dillon back now.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I'm open to the Packers bringing back Dillon, just because he knows the offense. However, I think drafting a guy for the future is the way to go. I read this morning that the Giants, Colts, and Cowboys are possible destinations for him at this time.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear the Packers saying that they like Emanuel Wilson, but that could just be smokescreen for drafting a RB higher than other teams anticipate. I think that we all know that a RB will be drafted in one of the rounds. It's just a question of priority and BPA.

They do have the option of bringing Patrick Taylor back. He certainly knows the system. We've ****** him around a lot so I would think that he would be hesitant unless he got RB#2 money.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible we don't have a clear cut 2 this year. Part of why you want Jacobs is to have a primary carrier. What on-field ability we lose with Jones leaving is the receiving threat. I'd look to scatbacks that could be dangerous in space. Dillon wouldn't be a bad re-sign, if only for familiarity.

It's possible we end up with a 3 man rotation that is vaguely similar to 2004. Your main threat (Green = Jacobs), your almost good enough to start player (Davenport = Maybe Dillon?) and your receiving threat/3rd down back (Tony Fischer = ???).

That is of course a luxury, doesn't translate perfectly, it's been 20 years, and what teams expect from their backs is different, but it helps me wrap my head around it.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
It's possible we don't have a clear cut 2 this year. Part of why you want Jacobs is to have a primary carrier. What on-field ability we lose with Jones leaving is the receiving threat.
I totally agree with you that Jacobs is the primary carrier this year. He is that kind of player, and won't be splitting carries/series like Jones and Dillon did. I disagree with the receiving threat part, as Jacobs caught 197 passes over the past 4 years, twice going over 50 catches in a season. The odd thing with that is he has never caught a receiving TD??? I'm of mind to think that changes this year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It's possible we don't have a clear cut 2 this year. Part of why you want Jacobs is to have a primary carrier. What on-field ability we lose with Jones leaving is the receiving threat. I'd look to scatbacks that could be dangerous in space. Dillon wouldn't be a bad re-sign, if only for familiarity.

It's possible we end up with a 3 man rotation that is vaguely similar to 2004. Your main threat (Green = Jacobs), your almost good enough to start player (Davenport = Maybe Dillon?) and your receiving threat/3rd down back (Tony Fischer = ???).

That is of course a luxury, doesn't translate perfectly, it's been 20 years, and what teams expect from their backs is different, but it helps me wrap my head around it.
I'Ve been a proponent of bringing Dillon back too. I don't see it happening now due to the news out this morning he's in discussions with 3 different teams.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They do have the option of bringing Patrick Taylor back. He certainly knows the system. We've ****** him around a lot so I would think that he would be hesitant unless he got RB#2 money.

No.. just no. A for effort for him, but just doesn't seem to have the speed to do it. He is just a backup body and definitely wouldn't pay him like a #2.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree with the receiving threat part, as Jacobs caught 197 passes over the past 4 years, twice going over 50 catches in a season. The odd thing with that is he has never caught a receiving TD???

I don't want to say that Jacobs can't catch passes, just that Jones did that differently. He could so things closer to the way a receiver could in terms of alignment and the routes he could run. TBF, maybe Jacobs could too, but I haven't seen it and they aren't the same kind of athlete.

Jacobs, to me, is the kind of player that can bust a screen, not beat a safety 1:1.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
No.. just no. A for effort for him, but just doesn't seem to have the speed to do it. He is just a backup body and definitely wouldn't pay him like a #2.
I could see adding Taylor to the 90 man roster to help Jacobs and Wilson learn the playbook quicker. It's a little spooky to know that no one in the RB room has much experience with the Packer playbook. I can smell all kinds of disasters rearing their head in early games with that situation.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jacobs, to me, is the kind of player that can bust a screen, not beat a safety 1:1.
Jacobs, to me, is the kind of player that can win the NFL rushing title....oh wait, he already did that!

Jacobs finds his way to get yards, be it going around a safety or running him over.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear the Packers saying that they like Emanuel Wilson, but that could just be smokescreen for drafting a RB higher than other teams anticipate. I think that we all know that a RB will be drafted in one of the rounds. It's just a question of priority and BPA.

The thing is with Jacobs around for 3 or 4 years if they really like Wilson they can afford to give him another year to develop and use him as our RB #2. With Jones they were almost forced to look for a replacement this year in the draft. They still might very well do that but its not as crucial now IMO.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jacobs, to me, is the kind of player that can win the NFL rushing title....oh wait, he already did that!

Jacobs finds his way to get yards, be it going around a safety or running him over.
I was specifically talking about running routes and catching passes.

Reaction score
I agree with the Packers comments about Wilson being purposeful. Yes he’s shown promise, but as said before he’s VERY sparse on experience level. I see a teams RB2 as someone, if needed, can assume responsibility as a #1. Do any of you guys really believe he’s that guy? Well I don’t.

I believe we’re going to get that RB inside our first 6 selections or earlier. Marshawn Lloyd is just one guess. Near 9 RAS, dual threat. That’s means our guy is on the top class of this years draft. I also think Emmanuel Wilson really did already impress as he beat out Taylor and others last season last year (had a nice preseason etc) I’m guessing he’s our plan for RB3 though, that’s absolutely nothing to be ashamed about either.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with the Packers comments about Wilson being purposeful. Yes he’s shown promise, but as said before he’s VERY sparse on experience level. I see a teams RB2 as someone, if needed, can assume responsibility as a #1. Do any of you guys really believe he’s that guy? Well I don’t.

I believe we’re going to get that RB inside our first 6 selections or earlier. Marshawn Lloyd is just one guess. Near 9 RAS, dual threat. That’s means our guy is on the top class of this years draft. I also think Emmanuel Wilson already impressed as he beat out Taylor last year. I’m guessing he’s our plan for RB3
At the beginning of the season I'm pretty sure Wilson will be ahead of anyone they draft unless the guy coming in is also a really stout guy that can block well. I dang sure wouldn't trust some rookie to protect my franchise QB early in the season. He's liable to puke all over himself, missing a blocking assignment. Not for me baby.

Reaction score
At the beginning of the season I'm pretty sure Wilson will be ahead of anyone they draft unless the guy coming in is also a really stout guy that can block well. I dang sure wouldn't trust some rookie to protect my franchise QB early in the season. He's liable to puke all over himself, missing a blocking assignment. Not for me baby.
Unfortunately the league disagrees with you. The top 5-6 RB’s selected in nearly every draft play major roles and very early. It’s also one of the few positions that you can expect earlier playing time. Why is 2024 any different?

OC can run plays when the RB2 is in that limit blocking assignments etc.
Jamaal Williams Rookie touched the ball 178 times. Eddie Lacy Rookie? 319 touches!
You don’t have to go far to find RB’s who get on that field early and often. It’s really one of the few exceptions positionally that gets a major role earlier.
I’d also keep in mind we’re not asking a Rookie to get 319 touches. We have our BellCow

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't care about the league. I want to see Jordan Love play the full schedule. I'm not interested in seeing Clifford as our starter. You think the defense might figure out that when rookie RB2 is in the game it's a running play?

Reaction score
I don't care about the league. I want to see Jordan Love play the full schedule. I'm not interested in seeing Clifford as our starter. You think the defense might figure out that when rookie RB2 is in the game it's a running play?
This is nothing against Wilson, he’s a good effort RB that came up through Division 2 ranks nicely. However at no time have I seen he was some sort of elite blocker out of college. I’m just really surprised you would so adamantly pick Emmanual Wilson as your first choice to protect Jordan Love and crown him RB2 because of it.
I’d rather we use him only to spell Jacobs and at the very most, split carries with a Rookie. I respect you wanting to give him a chance though Have you seen or witnessed something I don’t know about Wilson regarding his elite blocking prowess? Maybe I’m just missing something here.

My choice would be draft Sinnott, plus a RB both inside our first 5-6 selections.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope so cause then you go empty or swing pass or quick slant over the top of a loaded box on play action.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
This is nothing against Wilson, he’s a good effort RB that came up through Division 2 ranks nicely. However at no time have I seen he was some sort of elite blocker out of college. I’m just really surprised you would so adamantly pick Emmanual Wilson as your first choice to protect Jordan Love and crown him RB2 because of it.
I’d rather we use him only to spell Jacobs and at the very most, split carries with a Rookie. I respect you wanting to give him a chance though Have you seen or witnessed something I don’t know about Wilson regarding his elite blocking prowess? Maybe I’m just missing something here.

My choice would be draft Sinnott, plus a RB both inside our first 5-6 selections.
I don't trust rookies. Especially in the first half of their first season. I'm working under the assumption that Wilson has a year under his belt, should know the playbook and all the blocking assignments and has had a year of refinement in blocking instruction and technique hopefully. All assumptions of course. Did I mention that I despise seeing stupid rookie mistakes hamstringing my team?

Members online

Latest posts