Who is our #2 RB this year?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess maybe I'm missing out on what an H back is. I was trying to compare an H back with the guy in SF and the way they use him. He hardly ever runs the ball or catches a pass. I don't know the percentage of plays that they use him, but he seems to come in handy. I guess he's a very good blocker and protector.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I would have been fine with the Packers moving on from Dillon, I think his "demise" is being a bit exaggerated. Aaron Jones wasn't as productive last season as he has been before either (see stats below). Both players were dealing with injuries, Dillon a fractured thumb no less. I would also think that having a "rookie" QB didn't help either one of them either. Defenses playing against Aaron Rodgers were a lot more focused on not allowing Rodgers arm to carve them up, I doubt that was as big of a concern against Love, especially in the first 8 or so games.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I sure hope the trend of having YPC success in the even years does not continue for Mr. Jones against the Pack.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I sure hope the trend of having YPC success in the even years does not continue for Mr. Jones against the Pack.
Guess I missed something. I don't see that big of a variation.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I guess maybe I'm missing out on what an H back is. I was trying to compare an H back with the guy in SF and the way they use him. He hardly ever runs the ball or catches a pass. I don't know the percentage of plays that they use him, but he seems to come in handy. I guess he's a very good blocker and protector.
My understanding of an H back is that they line up in both the backfield and the LOS. They will either block or go out for a pass, even occasionally take a handoff. I just don't remember seeing Deguara lined up that often in the backfield and if he was, seemed to be during an obvious short yardage, run situation.

Are you talking about Kyle Juszczyk with the 49'ers? He seems to run, block and catch passes. Although, his use seems to be declining. Could be his ability or the offense.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bill Walsh used the H-back as a blocker for the most part, but he did get passes thrown to him, or ran the ball at times, if for no other reason than to keep the defenses aware he was out there, and needed to be watched. He started using Earl Cooper, and then came the guy who really defined the role, Tom Rathman. He didn't get a lot of touches, but he sure created some unique opportunities for creative blocking schemes that the 49ers used to continuously create mismatches that were difficult to overcome for defenses.

It isn't something that has been used much, but in the WCO, with Walsh's system, the guy was also a valuable asset in helping to allow Joe Montana and Steve Young opportunities to throw the ball, with more time.

If Dillon can handle the blocking, by lowering his center of gravity to get leverage, he could recreate that in a positive way to improve the passing game for Love, and the running game for the team. Personally, I think he can do it. Right now, I can't think of anyone they could find that would do it better.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wouldn't be something used extensively. But, it could well be one of the wrinkles that Matt wants to add to the offense. It was so effective with the Bill Walsh 49ers, but it takes the right person to do it.
Yeah I keep hearing FB is an important piece in MLF's offense, but don't recall LaFleur ever talking about it, much less deploy it. Hey V, who was the FB on Walsh's Niners?

Reaction score
It just makes sense to give Dillon the chance. He's certainly strong enough. He has really paid for having an off year in 23. I don't ever remember him as a star, but seemed like most of '20, '21, 22 he was productive. Hopefully he returns to form.

I still see the Packers taking two RBs, maybe a true HB early and a true FB later. Nice problem to have.
Might be right. There isn’t much variety at the Top of the class (5 or less RB in that top ~100).
However there are around 20 RB’s that are arguably graded as Day3 draftable, where we just happen to have 6 selections. We also sent 7th Rounder, Lew Nichols packing last year, so there’s not much committed RB depth
I think the over/under is 1.3 RB’s selected. We will have to tear one in thirds :eek:

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I keep hearing FB is an important piece in MLF's offense, but don't recall LaFleur ever talking about it, much less deploy it. Hey V, who was the FB on Walsh's Niners?
That was Cooper, then Tom Rathman who really defined the role. Initially, the FB was the major ball carrier when Walsh took over the 49ers. That changed, with the RB taking the reins and the FB becoming more of a role player.

I believe that Matt wants to not only utilize the H-back idea, but also have the FB be kind of an Eddie George type, who can power for that short yardage, not having them being the guy who gets the ball on early downs. It's going to be interesting watching how it plays out during the preseason. I want to see Dillon in that role. He has about the most powerful legs I've ever seen in a ball carrier.

Reaction score
That was Cooper, then Tom Rathman who really defined the role. Initially, the FB was the major ball carrier when Walsh took over the 49ers. That changed, with the RB taking the reins and the FB becoming more of a role player.

I believe that Matt wants to not only utilize the H-back idea, but also have the FB be kind of an Eddie George type, who can power for that short yardage, not having them being the guy who gets the ball on early downs. It's going to be interesting watching how it plays out during the preseason. I want to see Dillon in that role. He has about the most powerful legs I've ever seen in a ball carrier.
Yes. I never looked at Dillon as an H-back because it’s almost synonymous with TE. However Dillon is almost like a short H-Back. He wasn’t used hardly at all in the passing game at BC. However he’s actually performed “near-elite” in the receiving game, which is why you’ll hear me emphasize utilizing him more in that short passing area in space. He’s harder to take down in space against a modern LB or DB. You almost have to gang tackle him once he gains steam.. or he’ll take you for a ride for an extra 3 yards after contact.

79% catch rate at 9yds per catch career might not be elite out of the backfield at the NFL level, but it’s more than consistently good. He’s gaining 7yds per target in the passing game.

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. I never looked at Dillon as an H-back because it’s almost synonymous with TE. However Dillon is almost like a short H-Back. He wasn’t used hardly at all in the passing game at BC. However he’s actually performed “near-elite” in the receiving game, which is why you’ll hear me emphasize utilizing him more in that short passing area in space. He’s harder to take down in space against a modern LB or DB. You almost have to gang tackle him once he gains steam.. or he’ll take you for a ride for an extra 3 yards after contact.

Very true. There's another thing about Dillon that will make him successful in that role. He wants to be a Packer, and he wants to contribute to the team. Those are the characteristics that you can't teach. You got it or you don't.

Reaction score
Very true. There's another thing about Dillon that will make him successful in that role. He wants to be a Packer, and he wants to contribute to the team. Those are the characteristics that you can't teach. You got it or you don't.
Yes the Intangibles.

I didn’t realize until I looked
Receiving Yards per Target CAREER

Dalvin Cook 6.1 per target
Aaron Jones 5.7 per target
(364 targets)
AJ Dillon 6.9 per target
(110 targets)
Josiah Deguara 7.5 per target
(58 targets)
Kyle Juszczyc 7.1 per target
(347 targets)

In 2023, Dillon ran 8.0 per target on 28 targets to him in the passing game, so he’s not slowing down in that facet.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bill Walsh used the H-back as a blocker for the most part, but he did get passes thrown to him, or ran the ball at times, if for no other reason than to keep the defenses aware he was out there, and needed to be watched. He started using Earl Cooper, and then came the guy who really defined the role, Tom Rathman. He didn't get a lot of touches, but he sure created some unique opportunities for creative blocking schemes that the 49ers used to continuously create mismatches that were difficult to overcome for defenses.

It isn't something that has been used much, but in the WCO, with Walsh's system, the guy was also a valuable asset in helping to allow Joe Montana and Steve Young opportunities to throw the ball, with more time.

If Dillon can handle the blocking, by lowering his center of gravity to get leverage, he could recreate that in a positive way to improve the passing game for Love, and the running game for the team. Personally, I think he can do it. Right now, I can't think of anyone they could find that would do it better.
IMO you are underselling Rathman. Here is what I found. From 1987 to 1992 he averaged 122.5 touches. In his prime 1988-1990 he averaged 148 touches.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO you are underselling Rathman. Here is what I found. From 1987 to 1992 he averaged 122.5 touches. In his prime 1988-1990 he averaged 148 touches.
No. I'm not underselling him one iota. He was an amazing player. His carries might sound big when they stand alone, but there were always others who caught more passes and ran the ball more than him. Those two things were huge for the team, but his touches averaged between 7 and 8 a game, and for a couple of years close to 9. That's not a huge number, considering he had to be on the field for well over 90% of the plays the 49ers ran on offense.

I have yet to see anyone who can rival doing what he did. I have no idea why you'd think I was underselling him. I think he's the gold standard for anyone who would be cast in the role.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points. I forgot what Deguara did because he did so little. But Dillon certainly could play FB, and we already know he can pass block - so line him up with Jacobs and the RPO becomes that much better and does give MLF some options. Hell play him like an in-line TE for added protection on passes and to hold the edge better. That also frees up Musgrave and Kraft to do their thing catching the ball.

Now if he can kick PATs consistently, so much the better!
Id love to see Dillion resurrect his value as a RB/FB hybrid... Or even a TE, moving him around the line. Get that big body on some defenders.... He could be our cornerback assassin. Just dump it off to him and send him straight at their #1CB like a tomahawk missile. ☠️

Reaction score
Id love to see Dillion resurrect his value as a RB/FB hybrid... Or even a TE, moving him around the line. Get that big body on some defenders.... He could be our cornerback assassin. Just dump it off to him and send him straight at their #1CB like a tomahawk missile. ☠️
Or like one of those 5,000lb Bunker Busters!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As of when he was drafted, Dillon has played the role of the Packers 2nd RB. He and Jones didn't play a lot of snaps together. Now maybe if the Packers find a decent #3 RB, he can take that role on and Dillon sees more snaps as an H-Back, with Jacob's and the #3 RB. Jacob's has definitely been used as more of a workhorse than Jones ever was.

Members online

Latest posts