He is who he is

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Said years ago that Matt Lafleurs scheme was too vanilla and had a lot of window dressing. Here we are 7 weeks into the season with life after Rodgers and we are in the bottom part of the league. Love has the lowest completion rate of any starting QB in the league. Let that sink in…this is a guy who’s been in the same system going on 4 years now. So who is to blame for the offensive woes?

Instead of seeing Love progress and get better as the season goes along the guy actually looks to be getting worse week by week. The excuse that this is his first season starting isn’t going to cut it…same system sam playbook since he’s entered th league. You’re telling the Texans have better personnel than the Packers on offense? With a rookie QB? You literally have to keep Loves attempts downfield to a Minimum. Every play should be called with the mindset of we have to be in 2nd and short 3rd and short. When you ask him to try and keep a drive going on third and long or push the ball downfield you are asking for trouble. He’s either underthrown the ball or has been inaccurate. His terrible read and throw to Watson is the reason that guy ended up hurt and probably out 3 weeks now knowing him smh. They need to steal the Patriots scheme and start going double Tightend heavy because Lafleur and Love don’t have it with whatever they are running.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Said years ago that Matt Lafleurs scheme was too vanilla and had a lot of window dressing. Here we are 7 weeks into the season with life after Rodgers and we are in the bottom part of the league. Love has the lowest completion rate of any starting QB in the league. Let that sink in…this is a guy who’s been in the same system going on 4 years now. So who is to blame for the offensive woes?

Instead of seeing Love progress and get better as the season goes along the guy actually looks to be getting worse week by week. The excuse that this is his first season starting isn’t going to cut it…same system sam playbook since he’s entered th league. You’re telling the Texans have better personnel than the Packers on offense? With a rookie QB? You literally have to keep Loves attempts downfield to a Minimum. Every play should be called with the mindset of we have to be in 2nd and short 3rd and short. When you ask him to try and keep a drive going on third and long or push the ball downfield you are asking for trouble. He’s either underthrown the ball or has been inaccurate. His terrible read and throw to Watson is the reason that guy ended up hurt and probably out 3 weeks now knowing him smh. They need to steal the Patriots scheme and start going double Tightend heavy because Lafleur and Love don’t have it with whatever they are running.

Hard to implement a real NFL offense when all of your skill position players are first years starters, rookies, or second year guys. Would love to hear what innovative offense could be designed based on receivers and TEs knowing how to adjust routes based on coverage with a QB who knows what adjustments those receivers will make when all of the players necessary for such a scheme aren't capable of running that kind of scheme because they're all YOUNG. Would you blame a chef for not cooking really good chicken cordon-bleu when the chef was literally given a dozen eggs as ingredients? No, you blame the guy buying the ingredients.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Folks were screaming at how conservative at times we had to be last year with Rodgers, Lazard, Cobb, Lewis and Tonyan out there because of the young guys...we heard in interviews Cobb and Rodgers at times mention there is no time to figure it out, it is now or don't type thing.

I truly worry that Love is being blamed for vastly condensed playcalling possibly when it very well could be the fact NONE of our skill position players have even been in the league longer than him other than one (who cannot stay healthy in Jones). However, there is zero way of knowing this unless you're in the closed door meetings the coaches have most likely.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It can legitimately be both.

Love has accuracy problems, but I believe they are made worse due to our supporting cast. While I wouldn't call his placement this year "good" for any stretch, it was at least better early in the season. Our skills players not doing more to help their QB out is probably causing Love to try to do too much and fall back on his bad habits.

Perhaps hopeful, but I think he would easily be a 60% thrower this year if he could put more trust on the WRs. If the guys had his trust, he could think less and just play more. Him forcing is currently a feedback loop that leads to him playing worse.

By forcing, I don't mean "forcing the ball to players that are covered," I mean "trying too hard and causing problems as a result." I am actually fine with his decision making. Even the last INT against the Broncos was a reasonable decision that should have been completed with a better throw.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

happy feet throw that in there 2

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I love when I told you so people came back

YHow is Josh doing in Vegas? Ya know the coach you guaranteed would be packers coach cuz ur bro was his best bud

Reaction score
Instead of seeing Love progress and get better as the season goes along the guy actually looks to be getting worse week by week.
I disagree with this. Before the last desperation play of 3rd n 20 due to our OL drawing a penalty. I was watching his stat line and he was
21/30 (70%)
182 yards
2TD
103.3 Passer

That’s not getting worse than he was the prior 5 games. His completion % was 68% that isn’t anywhere close to going backwards

Was it Love’s fault we missed a 44 yard FG?

Was it Loves fault on 3rd n 10 from the Denver 44 with 1:43 on the clock our OL jumped and backed us up to
3rd n 20 from the GB 46?
You realize if we get just 5 yards there 51% we win that game. If Jordan manages 10 yards it’s 90% a Packer Win because of the game clock expiring. You run it 3 times from the Denver 34 and kick a walk off FG 45-50 yarder

That’s why Matt said afterwards we always seem to shoot ourselves in the foot on critical drives. He wasn’t talking about Jordan, he meant Elgton

Last edited:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree with this. Before the last desperation play of 3rd n 20 due to our OL drawing a penalty. I was watching his stat line and he was
21/30 (70%)
182 yards
2TD
103.3 Passer

That’s not getting worse than he was the prior 5 games. His completion % was 68% that isn’t anywhere close to going backwards

Was it Love’s fault we missed a 44 yard FG?

Was it Loves fault on 3rd n 10 from the Denver 44 with 1:43 on the clock our OL jumped and backed us up to
3rd n 20 from the GB 46?
You realize if we get just 5 yards there 51% we win that game. If Jordan manages 10 yards it’s 90% a Packer Win because of the game clock expiring. You run it 3 times from the Denver 34 and kick a walk off FG 45-50 yarder

That’s why Matt said afterwards we always seem to shoot ourselves in the foot on critical drives. He wasn’t talking about Jordan, he meant Elgton
The two things that make me a little optimistic that we might be seeing a much improved team by the end of the year are that our losses have been very close except the Lions game. The other thing is that we have been the best offense in the league in the second half. Seems if we can figure out how to get off to faster starts, things can be very different.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It can legitimately be both.

Love has accuracy problems, but I believe they are made worse due to our supporting cast. While I wouldn't call his placement this year "good" for any stretch, it was at least better early in the season. Our skills players not doing more to help their QB out is probably causing Love to try to do too much and fall back on his bad habits.

Perhaps hopeful, but I think he would easily be a 60% thrower this year if he could put more trust on the WRs. If the guys had his trust, he could think less and just play more. Him forcing is currently a feedback loop that leads to him playing worse.

By forcing, I don't mean "forcing the ball to players that are covered," I mean "trying too hard and causing problems as a result." I am actually fine with his decision making. Even the last INT against the Broncos was a reasonable decision that should have been completed with a better throw.
I think this is a very key point.

Love’s nature is to be a gun slinger. Definitely more in the Favre mold than the Rodgers mold. He’s never been one that’s taken care of the ball well. I think early in the season, he was “staying on script” and he looked decent. Now I think he’s just reverting to who he’s always been, which is a fling and a prayer.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Love’s nature is to be a gun slinger. Definitely more in the Favre mold than the Rodgers mold. He’s never been one that’s taken care of the ball well. I think early in the season, he was “staying on script” and he looked decent. Now I think he’s just reverting to who he’s always been, which is a fling and a prayer.

I would push back on this some.

Love in the final season for Utah State before literally their entire staff essentially and every starter on offense left after 2018 he had the following line:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

That is Rodgers level ball control and percentage.

Love's final college year despite losing literally everything - and truthfully in today's College structure he is 100% transferring due to all the changes, he put up:

Honestly, some have said what he was able to deliver a 7-6 record with the roster and coach blow up in 2019 was arguably more impressive than his statistically impressive 2018.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now it makes a little more sense to me why Gute drafted Love. His crystal ball told him Rodgers would be gone soon as well as a lot of the offensive starters leaving them with a bunch of new and inexperienced guys and he figured Love had been through that before and could lead them to an above .500 record.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Love in the final season for Utah State before literally their entire staff essentially and every starter on offense left after 2018 he had the following line:

I've been saying this for years. He lost his coaching staff, his two all-conference receivers, 3 of his OL graduated and another 2 of them transferred. He was literally the only senior starting on offense and there were only 2 juniors. He didn't have shlt to work with. He was told to "go make something happen." So he did what he could and it resulted in a lot of interceptions, but even so, he did lead them to a winning record. And if you look at his INTs that year, only 7 of them can be solely attributed to Love.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The two things that make me a little optimistic that we might be seeing a much improved team by the end of the year are that our losses have been very close except the Lions game. The other thing is that we have been the best offense in the league in the second half. Seems if we can figure out how to get off to faster starts, things can be very different.
Coaching problem.

Reaction score

Love's final college year despite losing literally everything - and truthfully in today's College structure he is 100% transferring due to all the changes, he put up:

Honestly, some have said what he was able to deliver a 7-6 record with the roster and coach blow up in 2019 was arguably more impressive than his statistically impressive 2018.
Jordan’s Junior college season at Utah St is actually a very equal comparison and near perfect comparison. You almost can’t get a better College to Pro analogy.

As others portray, I seriously don’t believe that Love just suddenly became a 57% completion QB. His Offense was scoring near 50 points per game in a well oiled machine around him. I don’t care what FBS Conference he played in, sustaining 50 points in every game in a season is pretty impressive even if he was Division 3

We each need to be patient. I do hope Clements works on his underthrows more. It’s a consistent issue. If he fixes that alone there’s a huge swing imo. Suddenly he’s 60% plus completion % and increases his TD from his current top 10 number to top 5. More importantly he mitigated that INT number from bottom 7 to middle of the league area and doesn’t give our opponent extra help.
If I’m Clements I’m telling Jordan I want to see him overthrow slightly until he gets timing. Literally I want to see Love throwing “too long” by a yard on deeper passes and I’m being deadly serious. I’d rid him of the underthrow yesterday and he’d better not come back to the sideline on an underthrow next week or I’ll chew his Butd:roflmao:

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

I’m not exclusively referring to just actual turnovers. Moreso just the mentality of the position. I think he unquestionably puts the ball at risk more than Rodgers.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Six games into his first season as a starter, with no vets to lean on...I'd say it's premature to pronounce him one way or the other yet.

Time will tell.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Favre had Holmgren early on to keep him in check. I‘m afraid Lefleur just doesn’t have that in him.

Reaction score
I’m not exclusively referring to just actual turnovers. Moreso just the mentality of the position. I think he unquestionably puts the ball at risk more than Rodgers.
Jordan and Clements need to focus on better ball placement on deep passes. No question about that part. He’s under throwing like 3-4 yards on some throws. That part is on Jordan.

I’ve seen a 10 balls thrown at least 1-2 yards short. Several more were 3-5 yards short. When a QB has taller, athletic WR’s and TE’s.. he needs to put it up higher. Now if he overthrows on 10 passes we can reel him back in. He’s got the arm but he’s trying to be too careful and often his feet are not set or they are off alignment.

What scares me a little is he’s doing the same thing over n over on longer throws. Clements has to be seeing this. Although he’s made some beautiful intermediate throws also.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts