Jones needs to stay

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is next year a void year for him? OTC shows him on for about 5M in 2024
Actually multiple void years, but as you know it pushes to that first year for hit sake. Spotrac is definitely the best source for void year displays.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I don't have as good a handle on salary cap specifics as I did 7 or 8 years ago. I'll defer to the board experts.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks. I don't have as good a handle on salary cap specifics as I did 7 or 8 years ago. I'll defer to the board experts.

Yikes don't call me that as far as contracts, I google well and can locate stuff...by no means understand the ins and outs like some.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If the Packers could claw back his entire cap hit (17.7M) by releasing him, there would be a strong case to do so. But the reality is that they would only net 5.4M because of the dead money. No way they should release Jones for 5.4M in savings.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers could claw back his entire cap hit (17.7M) by releasing him, there would be a strong case to do so. But the reality is that they would only net 5.4M because of the dead money. No way they should release Jones for 5.4M in savings.

I agree, I think they'll get creative, put a few more million in his pocket now, stretch out the existing and roll till his wheels fall off.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree, I think they'll get creative, put a few more million in his pocket now, stretch out the existing and roll till his wheels fall off.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do nothing with it and just let it play out one more year. They're already leveraged into 2027 with void years.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if they do nothing with it and just let it play out one more year. They're already leveraged into 2027 with void years.

Crazy thing is they can, but I see that only happening if they make serious cap room with a bakh release or trade. Just too much roped up in two aging vets with availability issues...but Jones is seriously good weapon when healthy still.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not extend him to a 2yr/$17mil extension, allowing $40mil cap hit ($17 in '24, $6+ void year, + extension) to be spread over 3 years @$13.3/yr? Barring signifiant injury or decline he'd be a 15-18 touch/game guy until age 32.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not extend him to a 2yr/$17mil extension, allowing $40mil cap hit ($17 in '24, $6+ void year, + extension) to be spread over 3 years @$13.3/yr? Barring signifiant injury or decline he'd be a 15-18 touch/game guy until age 32.

The issue is the void money that is on the books already doesn't go away like @Dantes said. Truthfully Jones is a giant fiscal pill regardless of what we do, either in voided years hitting if released/traded or in letting him play out next year crazy high AND then a void hit if we don't sign him further after that...

Any extension is just going to kick the can harder down the road which is something I'd really like this team to get away from truthfully.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I'd rather not commit more future money to him. They took a ton of cap medicine this season. Finish the job in 2024 and be free to build around Love into the future.

Jones can clearly till play, but he's also become less durable with time. Ride it out and let him go.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If all they do is move on from Bakh and Campbell pre June 1 in one way or another we will have around $34M to work with fleshing out picks, and any FAs....it isn't a ton but it is decent amount honestly.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If all they do is move on from Bakh and Campbell pre June 1 in one way or another we will have around $34M to work with fleshing out picks, and any FAs....it isn't a ton but it is decent amount honestly.

There isn't a single guy on the team hitting UFA that I think they need back either. There are guys they could bring back if the price is right, but no one that is really a must-have. That's a factor.

My guess is that they make one splash in FA (hopefully a DB) who fits with their window.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There isn't a single guy on the team hitting UFA that I think they need back either. There are guys they could bring back if the price is right, but no one that is really a must-have. That's a factor.

My guess is that they make one splash in FA (hopefully a DB) who fits with their window.

Agree, some will argue Nixon, but I just don't like paying that type of money again for a returner essentially who played average slot play.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think you can get 17 games out of Jones if you run him 20 times a game.
I agree that during the regular season, he should be shuffled in and out. Make sure he has strong legs for the final push. Especially when a game is out of hand. Or in hand. But last night and going forward; I can't see it. He is just too much better.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree, some will argue Nixon, but I just don't like paying that type of money again for a returner essentially who played average slot play.
Nixon is better than you think imho. His tackling and quickness going after runners is very good. And he plays intense. Which is contagious. I would so rather have him on the field than Stokes.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They need to bring Jones back. I bet they can find a number they are both happy with. We also need to draft an heir to the running game. Give Jones 10-12 carries a game and allow new kid to take most of the carries and learn from Jones. And I would commit 2 picks on RBs before the 6th round. Maybe a 3rd and a 5th.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nixon is better than you think imho. His tackling and quickness going after runners is very good. And he plays intense. Which is contagious. I would so rather have him on the field than Stokes.

They don't even align in the same positions to choose one over the other.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They will re-sign Jones to a cap friendly deal, and draft a running back in the mid-to-late rounds while bringing back Wilson.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the sentiment of the idea of "cap friendly deal" but folks do realize even if Jones sat down and said we can literally shred his existing contract there is $12,348,000 that no one can just take away...including $6,631,000 in void years 2025, 2026 and 2027.

Truthfully the only way he saves us cost is if he shreds that deal and takes less than $5M this next year as he is set to make $17.7....but if I understand contracts right even that is restricted because his Base is already up at $11.1M for 2024.

I think those saying we just do nothing may actually be right. You kick the can more you're staring down just building a massive void year pill again which GOD I want to be done with after Bakh...this year alone we had over $52MILLION against our cap in Rodgers / Amos / Reed and Lowry due to that kind of ****. An additional $4M between Cobb, Leavitt, Hollins, Tonyan, Marcedes

Reaction score
Crazy thing is they can, but I see that only happening if they make serious cap room with a bakh release or trade. Just too much roped up in two aging vets with availability issues...but Jones is seriously good weapon when healthy still.
That’s true. I also like to look at the global view. Trading Rasul all by itself saves us $7mil -less replacement player costs. Even if we go with a Higher draft pick at RB? we’re talking $4-6mil off recent cap projections. Applying that to a high end, veteran contract such as Jones’ deal. Now he’s a priority contract locked and loaded at a palatable number. It’s a shell game of resources and capital expenditures.

That’s how I look at it anyway it’s like a balance sheet. I also suspect we’ll bring in cheaper help in the form of Day2-3 draft pick(s) that keep the RB room financially balanced. Maybe that doesn’t make sense to others but it’s how my brain balances personnel compensation :)

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather not commit more future money to him. They took a ton of cap medicine this season. Finish the job in 2024 and be free to build around Love into the future.

Jones can clearly till play, but he's also become less durable with time. Ride it out and let him go.
He is 29 and still has some years in the tank. But just do not try and play him like an Emmet Smith or Adrian Peterson. Some tires have longer lasting tread.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When he is healthy. We still need a Dillon with him. AJ is not made to play 17 games with that many touches.
Don't know why it is Dillon we need. I hope we find someone else. Dillon is just too slow to get to the line of scrimmage and not quick at all. His ability to run over D linemen is greatly exaggerated. But he seems to be LaFleur's sweetheart.