2023 Game 16 rematch with the Vikings pregame thread: Win or stay home

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Without JA & Stokes the DBs don't have the skill or experience to man up with Addison let alone Jefferson. JJ is possibly the top WR in the league. Only thing the Packers have going for them is a rookie day 3 QB.
In our week 8 matchup against the Vikings only 4 CB's played, with 3 of them getting all the CB snaps, except for 4.

Alexander: 72 snaps (100% of defensive snaps)

Douglas: 72 snaps (100%)

Nixon: 44 snaps (61%)

Anthony Johnson: 4 snaps (6%)

So this time around, no Douglas (traded) or Alexander (suspended). I see Nixon and Valentine taking over those snaps, with Johnson and Ballentine mixing in. Johnson may be out there for most of the game.

Are they outmatched by Jefferson and Addison? Probably, but at least Cousins isn't out there. If he was, the Vikings would probably put up 35+ points tonight.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think Stokes may be gone next year. He is not going to be able to heal again.
If he is healthy, I see the Packers giving him another year on his rookie deal. If nothing else, he is a capable backup.

One thing is for sure, they will not be exercising his 5th year option.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without JA & Stokes the DBs don't have the skill or experience to man up with Addison let alone Jefferson. JJ is possibly the top WR in the league. Only thing the Packers have going for them is a rookie day 3 QB.
Agree. It's a good thing we have a DC that specializes in zone defense...

GBowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I’m afraid the events of the last couple of weeks has this team out of focus. The big W against the Lions and Chiefs gave me hope that they were gelling. Now my fear is we go 1-4 the last 5 when I expected to run the table. Bears are hot now. Losing to them would ruin the whole season for me. I see no way JJ doesn’t have a career night tonight. Hope I’m wrong.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Well everyone have a safe happy new year, can’t watch game again because local channels having hissy fits with DTV, maybe I can see game on a replay channel

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Philly! Losing to the Cardinals clinches number one seed for the 49ers, meaning they'll rest everybody with the Rams next week. I don't know if we win tiebreaker with Seattle I don't think so, so even winning our last two we're out.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The big W against the Lions and Chiefs gave me hope that they were gelling.
One thing about that Chiefs game that people forget, are the injuries that happened in the game. I can't remember names or when, but the Chiefs lost 3 starters on Defense, one of them was early and it was to their ILB with the "green helmet". Then their starting RB, Pacheco, got ejected from the game on the Chiefs final drive. He had been tearing up the Packers defense.

Yes, the Packers played pretty well that night, but the Chiefs aren't playing like SB Winners this year (9-6) and on that night, they had some big injuries and some questionable calls (non-calls) go against them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Thanks Philly! Losing to the Cardinals clinches number one seed for the 49ers, meaning they'll rest everybody with the Rams next week. I don't know if we win tiebreaker with Seattle I don't think so, so even winning our last two we're out.
LOL....Giants could have pulled out a win against the Rams and Crosby missed a 54 yarder! Somewhere, Captain is on the ground laughing and crying.

Yeah, at this point, if the Packers are going to get into the playoffs, they need to win out and hope that the Seahawks lose a game.

Last edited:

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes today's results were disasterous. Need a Seahawks loss ...49ers winning and Philly choking a long with Mason sucking like usual was horrific

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL....Giants could have pulled out a win against the Rams and Crosby missed a 54 yarder!

Yeah, at this point, if the Packers are going to get into the playoffs, they need to win out and hope that the Seahawks lose a game.

Thanks Giants! They make it 26-25 but decide to go for two with over 3 minutes to go. Why? Taylor proceeds to miss a wide open Barkley for the conversion by throwing it 3 ft behind him. Giants get it back. Taylor scrambles to the Rams 35 but the drive stalls. Crosby proceeds to miss a 54 yarder wide left that probably wouldn't have been good from 40.
I take it from your post that we would win a one-on-one tiebreaker with Seattle? Otherwise we need the 49ers backups to beat the Rams next week. All the blown opportunities earlier this season are coming back to haunt us.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I take it from your post that we would win a one-on-one tiebreaker with Seattle? Otherwise we need the 49ers backups to beat the Rams next week. All the blown opportunities earlier this season are coming back to haunt us.
I'm going off that NY Times calculator that I posted above. But yes, it appears that if we end up tied with the Seahawks and/or the Saints, we win the tie breaker.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't assume a Rams win over the 49ers next week. I would not expect McCaffrey to play (hopeful he is OK after leaving the game today). I don't think any coach wants a team to sit on a loss over a playoff bye week.

By the way, Brock Purdy does look an awful lot like Lee Harvey Oswald.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't assume a Rams win over the 49ers next week. I would not expect McCaffrey to play (hopeful he is OK after leaving the game today). I don't think any coach wants a team to sit on a loss over a playoff bye week.

The 9ers have to be smart next week. The Rams are a division rival and will play physical. An injury or two can impact the postseason. We know that very well.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, the Packers played pretty well that night, but the Chiefs aren't playing like SB Winners this year (9-6) and on that night, they had some big injuries and some questionable calls (non-calls) go against them.
Chiefs benefited on that last drive. On the "PI play" their LT had his hand in Preston's face. If the play had been called correctly it would have been offsetting penalties. Then there's the free 15 yards and 2-3 extra plays they were given. The Chiefs benefited heavily from the officials on that last drive.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The 9ers have to be smart next week. The Rams are a division rival and will play physical. An injury or two can impact the postseason. We know that very well.
While I agree, with their bye, the 49'ers could have "2 weeks off" for their starters and as we know from the Packers, that can also be a bad thing. In 2011 and 2021, they lost their first playoff game after a bye.

In 2021 the Packers clinched their playoff bye in their 2nd to last game against the Vikings. They sat starters and lost the next week against the Lions. Then after their bye, they lost to the 49'ers.

In 2011, the Packers went 15-1 in the regular season, had a bye and then lost to the Giants.

Reaction score
If we send five and Quay is in mirror patrol they will EAT the remaining five UP!!!
Well. They’ll eat our backup DB’s either way imo.
So now that we’ve established and can agree on that. Do we want a 3rd stringer to eat us up for 8 yard passes? or 18 yard passes ;)

Reaction score

If the Steelers Win today over Seattle and we Win tonight against Minnesota, we’re a 7th seed.

We still have a chance at a 6th seed with a Win tonight at Vikings and Seattle loss.

Then a Rams loss next week at 49ers and we are playing for a 6th seed. I know it sounds too good to be true and it probably is.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe this model isn't correct or I missed something, but if the Seahawks lose today and the Packers win, the Packers hold their own fate. 2 wins and they are in. A win tonight and they are 67% favorites to get that last playoff spot.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Or John Harbaugh

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers officially control their fate again. Pittsburgh comes back and upsets the Seahawks. Packers must win at Vikings and vs Bears

Members online

Latest posts