Draft/FA Needs in 2024

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am posing this question mostly because I am a little bit bored. I have not posted much on the draft threads as IMO it is still way too early. FA signings and trades will dictate what teams needs will be once the draft actually gets here. I expect a few draft position trades as well. Some time in early April I will dive in to the speculation with both feet. For now my question (not advocating for this, just trying to spark conversation) is what would it take in return for you to trade one of those top 4 wide receivers?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am posing this question mostly because I am a little bit bored. I have not posted much on the draft threads as IMO it is still way too early. FA signings and trades will dictate what teams needs will be once the draft actually gets here. I expect a few draft position trades as well. Some time in early April I will dive in to the speculation with both feet. For now my question (not advocating for this, just trying to spark conversation) is what would it take in return for you to trade one of those top 4 wide receivers?

Realistically, if speaking for GB I'd say a collection of the following:

One part ignoring our current roster
Two parts Day 1 picks to start a package
One part Watson or Doubs as part of the package

Just for starts.

Reaction score
Trading our WR?? We are not in a rebuild are we? If there is some personal problem behind the scenes or some similar outlier maybe. Other than than that we’re about to explode… and I mean explode. It’s crazy to think of trading and starting over just imo. Maybe maybe A top5-20 selection (trying to be reasonable) and I’d entertain offers sure. ONLY because we can go get a Stud Defensive player etc.

Protect Jordan Love Numero uno.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hopeful our ideal players fall in our lap. For me I’d trade back in Rd 2 a smidge for 1 more top 150 selection.

Safety in FA
OG in FA

#25 OT
#44 Safety (Raiders #41+#206)
#58 CB
#88 LB
#91 iDL
#113 Edge (f/Raiders)
#127 RB
#168 TE
#216 OC
#243 RB
#251 PK

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I do feel DL is a slight need, as Clark and Slayton are but FA's after this year, and the Packers, as a norm, draft a year early. With that in mind, 2025 would leave Brooks, Wooden, and Wyatt as the only guys under contract at the moment.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Realistically, if speaking for GB I'd say a collection of the following:

One part ignoring our current roster
Two parts Day 1 picks to start a package
One part Watson or Doubs as part of the package

Just for starts.
If GB could afford him, I would definitely entertain giving KC their choice of Doubs or Watson for Sneed. I would also ask for a little bit back in draft capital because of the difference in salaries.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
For now my question (not advocating for this, just trying to spark conversation) is what would it take in return for you to trade one of those top 4 wide receivers?
I would take Reed off the table except for a stupidly desperate GM offering the farm for him. Of the 3 others, I'd need a move up in round 2 of at least 10-15 spots. Or a 3rd. Anything else would need a starting journeyman level position of need player back with picks. I'd overvalue them just because. Now if a top 50 pick on my board is there at 65 I might bend a little.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind at all taking a field goal kicker somewhere.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm probably one of a small group of people that is not dismissing the Packers take a WR in round 1. Say the Packers fix the safety position in free agency, pretty sure they won't go TE, QB and RB in 1st given no talent. If CBs are off the board, they feel the OL is deep in the draft and other bodies are a reach for #25, if a guy like Brian Thomas, Jr was sitting there at 25 and they picked him.. would I be mad? Nope. Surprised? Not really.

Reaction score
I'm probably one of a small group of people that is not dismissing the Packers take a WR in round 1. Say the Packers fix the safety position in free agency, pretty sure they won't go TE, QB and RB in 1st given no talent. If CBs are off the board, they feel the OL is deep in the draft and other bodies are a reach for #25, if a guy like Brian Thomas, Jr was sitting there at 25 and they picked him.. would I be mad? Nope. Surprised? Not really.
While I’d personally be ok with that. I’ll just say that our GM (and his Boss before him) doesn’t put emphasis at WR in Round 1 like many of us do. A couple of reasons I’d even maybe support your thoughts or why we’d do that is because Brian sometimes goes against the consensus needs.. he likes to be original and unpredictable imo. Also we have a non traditional number of selections in the top 100 (5). That could get him thinking using 1 on a superior athlete that might not cross a “high need” category. That said, obviously Anything can happen but I wouldn’t wager much on WR in Day1. Not trying to steal your thunder though I’d be excited either way.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Let’s play that WR game though just for fun @Firethorn1001 IF we took a WR that slipped some or felt too good to pass on?? Particular a dynamic WR who might be in an area we like Pearsall, Devontez Walker, Corley types. Devontez Walker just put himself firmly in that Round 2 area, where we like to sometimes snatch a WR. I’m not at all mad if we grabbed him at #58 area, I think he’s basically our George Pickens 2.0 product all over again.
An upgrade at OG (free agency?)

A RB2 upgrade behind #33
Jones and Braelon Allen or
Jones and Marshawn Lloyd etc.

A 3rd TE such as Sinnott or would we dare to take Jatavion Sanders? He’d have an instant role as an upgrade to Deguara.

Then having this WR Lineup?
Jayden Reed (2nd yr)
Christian Watson (3rd yr)
Romeo Doubs (3rd yr)
Devontez Walker (Rookie)
Dontayvion Wicks (2nd yr)
Bo Melton

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Truthfully I don't box or pencil in draft needs in the manner of which many like you do. Sure overarching this draft would be awesome in my mind to bring in a starter at safety, a starter or ILB2, a high level cornerback. Those are the three positional weaknesses I see as most glaring on this team, quickly followed by OL depth minimum or one starter beneficial plus a RB2 at this point in the game (could change).

As much as our OL could improve it wasn't what cost us games this year when it mattered, that was the back seven primarily on defense. If this draft does nothing but improves that I'll call it a success.

Our starting OL is, atm, having to replace just one guy. I'd love to in the draft lock in someone at RG better than Rhyan and either a swing tackle or developmental center for Myers but both of those things can be Day3 type swings truthfully. Let's just say Gute does no movement and names we hear are something like:

Day1 - Ennis Rakestraw Jr CB
Day2 - we leave with Edgerrin Cooper LB, Javon Bullard S, Gabriel Murphy Edge, Blake Fisher OT
Day3 - Javon Foster OT, Jawhar Jordan RB, Khalid Duke DE/OLB, Dylan McMahon C, Jordan Magee LB, Marshel Martin FB/TE

Folks may scream bloody murder that we go four straight defense but something like that (not specific names but positionally) happens I not only would understand, I'd be excited.
Still think Rakestraw is a 1st round possibility?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still think Rakestraw is a 1st round possibility?
Nope, now while I'll not typically throw a guys' film out the door entirely, he tested so autrociously bad - I'm going to be watching the pro day heavy to see if maybe he was off a touch in Indy....but he was more than a touch.

His tape is great, but I'm not risking it Day1 on him. Rakestraw there still at our second second round pick spot I'm flipping this coin that I didn't think had two sides to it before testing.

Members online

Latest posts