Top Needs of the Off-Season

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
What if Bakh is 100% healthy, raring to go, and he and the Packers can work out something with this contract? Question for the board. Still want him gone?

Well obviously if we could know that he was 100% healthy and would remain that way, then it would be a great idea. But that's not a realistic scenario. He's at a point now where he may feel fine and then his knee could blow up on him. So he needs to go just because of the uncertainty.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bahktiari was great, but that phase of his career is long gone. Now he is an aging veteran with an extremely risky knee. I can't imagine that anyone has confidence that they have now "figured his knee out" finally. If they could blow away the dead money and get him on a veteran minimum contract with loads of playing incentives, I'd be fine with it.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here are the notable free agent running backs. Not the position where teams traditionally want to invest resources, but the Packers have given indications that they'd be willing for the right player (recall the Jonathan Taylor stuff) and at a certain point the depressed RB market could make the right guys + values:

Saquon Barkley, NYG: 27 yo, 1219 career carries, 3.9 YPC in 2023, 4.3 career YPC

Tony Pollard, DAL: 27 yo, 802 career carries, 4.0 YPC in 2023, 4.8 career YPC

Josh Jacobs, LV: 26 yo, 1318 career carries, 3.5 YPC in 2023, 4.2 career YPC

D'Andre Swift, PHI: 25 yo, 627 career carries, 4.6 YPC in 2023, 4.6 career YPC

Zack Moss, IND: 26 yo, 492 career carries, 4.3 YPC in 2023, 4.3 career YPC

Devin Singletary, HOU: 26 yo, 981 career carries, 4.0 YPC in 2023, 4.2 career YPC

Austin Ekeler, LAC: 29 yo, 1014 career carries, 3.5 YPC in 2023, 4.4 career YPC

Derrick Henry, TEN: 30 yo, 2186 career carries, 4.2 YPC in 2023, 4.7 career YPC

Ezekiel Elliott, DAL: 29 yo, 2168 career carries, 3.5 YPC in 2023, 4.3 career YPC

If they by-pass the RB market altogether, I think that's fine. There's a risk associated with paying the position. However, I hope they monitor the market for two guys: D'Andre Swift and Tony Pollard. Neither are perfect players by any means, but they both have the explosive athleticism that this offense sorely misses when Jones isn't healthy or in the game. In rotational roles, I think both could be highly effective.

I they do intend to spend at the position, I hope they stay away from Barkley and Jacobs. They've both seen a lot of work; my guess is that their best days are behind them.
C.E.H. is really intriguing to me. After Swift I like him the most. IMO would complement Jones and is younger and would cost less than most of the group mentioned.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
C.E.H. is really intriguing to me. After Swift I like him the most. IMO would complement Jones and is younger and would cost less than most of the group mentioned.

My opinion on backs is that you should only invest veteran contracts in guys who have some special traits. Swift isn’t a perfect runner by any means, but he does possess explosive athleticism. Edwards-Helaire is a very ordinary back. I think you could very easily find a middle or late round pick who reproduces what he offers for a lot less money.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The season has sadly come to a close, but it was a huge success. The Packers proved to have what everyone in the sport covets: a HC/QB partnership that can serve as a foundation for the team's success.

So where do they go from here and how do they take the next step? These, in my opinion, are the five biggest needs and thus the five biggest opportunities to take the next step and become true contenders again in 2024.

1) Defensive Backs: Here is the list of defensive backs who played 40% or more of the snaps on defense this season and are back next season: Carrington Valentine and Jaire Alexander. They have about 3700 snaps to replace in the defensive backfield. They're going to have to throw a lot of bodies at the corner and safety positions. I would guess that this is where we see the team spend the most resources.

2) Defensive Coordinator: After LaFleur got more involved in the defense late in the season, there was an improvement. However, Barry's track record tells us who he is (and a head coach needing to do that is a red flag). He isn't a totally incompetent moron as some would argue, but he doesn't add value to the defense. At best, he gets you out what you put into the unit. If GB is serious about contending, they need to do better.

3) Running Backs: The offense was on a different level when Aaron Jones was healthy. He will likely be back, and should be, but it will probably be a contract year and his health is not reliable at this point in his career. Beyond Jones, the Packers do not have a back who is really worthy of an NFL roster. If they can re-stock the position with viable talent, it will enable them to control football games with sustained offensive drives.

4) An H-Back: This offense wants to use an H-Back. Deguara saw the field post-injury despite being terrible. They really need to find someone who can actually execute the role.

5) Offensive Line: Bakhtiari needs to retire, but the starters should be set with Walker and Tom. Depth at tackle is a question that depends on how they like the development of Jones and Tenuta. Jenkins is holding one guard spot down and Rhyan is a question mark at the other. Runyan also improved a lot down the stretch and has voiced a heartfelt desire to come back. Myers ought to be replaced, but he won't be. On the whole, I think most (maybe even all) of the starters are in-house already, but depth is needed across the board and a new interior starter could be helpful.
You can place a check mark ✔️ next to number 2

Reaction score
One thing I’d rather see The Packers do an extension for Jordan. Build his $ into his extension so he can play on his 5th year comparative type contract in 2024. This and trading Bakhtiari would free up a tremendous amount of Capital ($20.5mil). Rasul’s trade freed up $900K in 2023 and will adjust another the cap around +$6.5Mil in 2024. My suggestion is getting 1 needed positiin hole covered through outside FA. This Safety position is not imperative, but it’s one example of how FA pushes position need down this draft. Otherwise please get Nubin

FA Safety or Trade Safety. This concoction of young talent, known experience and good depth changes our dynamic for the better. Turning a relative weakness into a relative strength.
$FA TRADE or acquisition
+ #88 draft Selection
+ Rudy Ford/Owens/Johnston

#25 CB
By default, in an ideal scenario, could drop Stokes to a CB3/4 role. That takes an immense amount of pressure off him working his way back into our lineup.
J’aire, #25 selection, Nixon, Stokes, Valentine, Balentine is a stout grouping to work with.

#41 OT
I like Walker, however 6 Sacks is not sustainable. We can’t just assume he’ll be a long term answer. Also we need a OT swing Tackle anyway if Nij is gone. Go get competition and worst case we have a high grade backup LT in the shadows, which isn’t a bad thing. Again, we of anyone understand the importance of a high grade contingency at Blindside

#58 OG/OC
Listen. I like Runyon. But Runyon for me is a 7.5/10. If we can get an 8.5/10 quality player to compete at RG/OC it’ll push both positions. IF decisions were based on like ability or emotions he’d already have a contract. He’s very likable and solid. That still is not enough to blind me from bettering this team. Plus, I’m not fond of resigning Myers and having a year in system priming another option at OC and splitting snaps at Guard gives our Rookie position familiarity and versatility. Runyon might get an offer but it would be at ~OL7 $$. Find me a Strong Man’s JC Tretter (Van Pran/Frazier)

#88 Safety
Much would be fixed to bring in both a CB from Day1 (Lassiter etc) and 2 Safeties. Here’s an area of this draft that’s likely going to offer several good choices at Safety imo.
(James Williams)

#91 RB
While this might sound like a luxury selection. RB is also thick in the RD3-4 range. It’s also a position that tends to be related to missing time because of the abuse it takes. Grooming our successor to #33 while pairing them in 2024 could prove an invaluable failsafe. Dillon could still be offered a RB3+ contract and retained as a RB3+. Imagine having Corum or Estime or Shipley behind #33. We’d have an exciting rotation that would push Taylor/Wilson into our primary elevation RB stashed on PS temporarily. We’d also have our primary succession to #33 in 2025/2026
(Will Shipley)

#126 LB
While iLB is thin at the top, There are a grouping of really good Off Ball LB’s in that later Day2-Early Day3 area that would offer an answer to our Run Stop woes. Typically a solid iLB is where we’ve had success in this area and the 2024 draft is no exception.
(Payton Wilson)

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The season has sadly come to a close, but it was a huge success. The Packers proved to have what everyone in the sport covets: a HC/QB partnership that can serve as a foundation for the team's success.

So where do they go from here and how do they take the next step? These, in my opinion, are the five biggest needs and thus the five biggest opportunities to take the next step and become true contenders again in 2024.

1) Defensive Backs: Here is the list of defensive backs who played 40% or more of the snaps on defense this season and are back next season: Carrington Valentine and Jaire Alexander. They have about 3700 snaps to replace in the defensive backfield. They're going to have to throw a lot of bodies at the corner and safety positions. I would guess that this is where we see the team spend the most resources.

2) Defensive Coordinator: After LaFleur got more involved in the defense late in the season, there was an improvement. However, Barry's track record tells us who he is (and a head coach needing to do that is a red flag). He isn't a totally incompetent moron as some would argue, but he doesn't add value to the defense. At best, he gets you out what you put into the unit. If GB is serious about contending, they need to do better.

3) Running Backs: The offense was on a different level when Aaron Jones was healthy. He will likely be back, and should be, but it will probably be a contract year and his health is not reliable at this point in his career. Beyond Jones, the Packers do not have a back who is really worthy of an NFL roster. If they can re-stock the position with viable talent, it will enable them to control football games with sustained offensive drives.

4) An H-Back: This offense wants to use an H-Back. Deguara saw the field post-injury despite being terrible. They really need to find someone who can actually execute the role.

5) Offensive Line: Bakhtiari needs to retire, but the starters should be set with Walker and Tom. Depth at tackle is a question that depends on how they like the development of Jones and Tenuta. Jenkins is holding one guard spot down and Rhyan is a question mark at the other. Runyan also improved a lot down the stretch and has voiced a heartfelt desire to come back. Myers ought to be replaced, but he won't be. On the whole, I think most (maybe even all) of the starters are in-house already, but depth is needed across the board and a new interior starter could be helpful.
I think you're right about #4 -H-Back. I think we may see that guy drafted in the back half of the draft.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think safety is probably the largest player need for the packers during the off-season and I'm really hoping they use free agency to add someone like McKinney or Stone on a relatively inexpensive deal (both aren't elite safeties but would have absolutely been the best coverage safeties on the team over the last couple of seasons). Drafting a safety is also a priority but with the lack of players at that position using both free agency and the draft would be helpful.

I think right guard and center are close second/thirds to safety in importance but I'm confident in Gute at least finding a decent guard in the draft.

As for RB, I think the Packers keep Jones another year and draft a guy to be his potential successor (hopefully in round 3 or later) while continuing to groom Wilson as another potential replacement for Jones.

I think CB is a position of potential need for any team, any time but I actually think the packers are in fairly good shape (relative to what the league looks like) at the position (though I'm probably higher on Ballentine and Valentine than others). I fully expect a CB to be a major consideration for the packers in the first round of this season's draft.

As for non-player needs? A good, aggressive DC that's NOT from the Staley defensive tree; maybe I'm wrong on this (and if I am then I trust someone to point it out in needlessly superior and sarcastic way) but Staley's defensive system has been pretty poor against the McVay, Shanahan, MLF style of offense and those offenses are becoming more prevalent.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whether via draft or free agency, Green Bay needs to target a superstar on defensive that's also a leader.

D-Line, Linebacker, Corner, or Safety...Packers need a cornerstone.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is true. You’d ideally want this person at linebacker. Safety could work.

The bigger problem is that ILB tends not to be a Super Star position anymore. Depending on their specific skillset and the weekly gameplan, they could easily be a 50% player.

Safety at least never leaves the field.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bigger problem is that ILB tends not to be a Super Star position anymore. Depending on their specific skillset and the weekly gameplan, they could easily be a 50% player.

Safety at least never leaves the field.

I'm not sure this is true about ILBs -- most of those anchor-level guys play more than 90% of the snaps, including lots of big-name guys at 95-100%. If we could get our hands on a real killer, I think ILB is the spot.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is true about ILBs -- most of those anchor-level guys play more than 90% of the snaps, including lots of big-name guys at 95-100%. If we could get our hands on a real killer, I think ILB is the spot.

Which is why I have the big qualifier talking about their skillset.

If you can't cover, you're not out there on 3rd down. If the team you're playing loves the pass and you're in Dime more than normal, you've only got one ILB out there.

The offense can largely dictate what personnel the defense puts out there by picking what personnel they put on the field.

To be a 95% snap player, you've got to be smart enough to be the green dot, good enough against the pass to not be taken off the field in obvious passing downs, and be good enough against the run to not be a liability on 1st and 10 against a run-heavy team. This ILB is rare, with only 1 or 2 of them at most in each draft. What most teams end up doing is getting one guy who IS or is at least close to being that guy, and pairing him with a 2-down thumper and a dedicated pass guy.

If we can find that guy, I won't object to taking them, but good luck to us.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If a Fred Warner is hanging around, pick him. No matter what round.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a Fred Warner is hanging around, pick him. No matter what round.
It looks like the hiring of new DC has been talked about quite a but so I am going in a different direction.
GM BG has been busy picking up several players off waivers. Mostly defensive guys. Looks like next training camp is going to have alot of competition to make the team.
I've read thru some of the bios. Most of these guys have either been on winning teams in college so they have an idea of what it takes to win or they've been in the NFL several years so have a decent amount of experience in this league.
They all seem to have a good attitude. IE... they are NOT looking at themselves as super stars who are going to come in and save us. As one guy put it " I keep my ego in check and just try to do the best I can where ever I fit in. If I am applying for a job at a company and the only job open is floor sweeper then I am going to be the best floor sweeper I can be". I love guys that are not full of themselves.
Looks like it could be a decent crop and that's before we get to drafts picks.

Reaction score
Give our new DC a substantial FA signing. A Household name that is a good Veteran leader and very good player.
Make a move that puts the league on Full notice.

Last edited:

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leave him alone he is on a roll.
Ok guys... lest anyone thinks they might have missed something, let me clear up this mystery..
I had asked the internet for "packers current news", which to me means is anything happening now or in the past few days. Apparently the internet has a different definition of current which appears to be wide open and unknown as to time frame. I guess I trusted the browser to provide relevant up to date info, but that was not the case..
That recent loss to SF just brought back bad memories of that loss to SF a few years back when a blocked punt sunk us. I guess I was just trying to give all of us a boost after another loss to SF. My mistake....

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GM BG has been busy picking up several players off waivers. Mostly defensive guys. Looks like next training camp is going to have alot of competition to make the team.

Signing their PS guys and street free agents, not waivers. Need 90 bodies in camp. Unless a previous PS squad member, I wouldn't anticipate most of these guys being relevant at all past training camp (if they make it that far). Curious if any reserve/future contact guy has ever really done anything.