Top Needs of the Off-Season

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the write-ups I have been reading; we should be able to get very good players in the first two and maybe even the third round. So we should actually be able to go need and that could coincide with best available this year...or come close to bpa. The strength of the draft this year seems to coincide with our needs. O line and corners. Hopefully a DB we want slips a bit and if one of the two or three inside linebackers is there with our 2nd second; I would not mind getting him. I guess I want to hold off on the RB until the 3rd.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I think on the roster structure and such, I keep settling on if Gute/MLF/Hefley see a free agent safety they think will either continue high high level play or is ascending into it and can run some single high safety calls I think we gotta open the checkbook. I like a lot of the safety prospects in the draft, but also struggle to bet on a guy past maybe the second round for sure being able out the gate to do such a call all the time (shoot rookies are a gamble somewhat no matter when)....

Gute has always been the insurance signer type guy....I fully expect GB to sign a veteran of some sort at RB before the draft (could be Dillon), two at safety (could be just a Ford/Savage resign) and I could see even a lower level LB possibly...especially if DeVondre is on the way out as some suspect. Gute likes to not feel a corner he is being pushed towards...and having to absolutely find your guy in the draft is something I don't see him wanting to have any part of.

Last edited:

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I need a little help, and this goes to team needs IMO. I understand the basics of the 4-3 defense, but wondering how our current and/or new guys will fit. Basically we have two of our current DL in the middle , ( Clark and Waytt) and you have Van Ness, Gary, or P. Smith as down ends? Do we automatically have Q. Walker as the Mike? Do we have personnel, on the team that can play Sam and Will, can current edge guys do it? Give me some examples, I have read about guys we would like to get in FA, but where does a Queen or White play in this defense? thanks

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I need a little help, and this goes to team needs IMO. I understand the basics of the 4-3 defense, but wondering how our current and/or new guys will fit. Basically we have two of our current DL in the middle , ( Clark and Waytt) and you have Van Ness, Gary, or P. Smith as down ends? Do we automatically have Q. Walker as the Mike? Do we have personnel, on the team that can play Sam and Will, can current edge guys do it? Give me some examples, I have read about guys we would like to get in FA, but where does a Queen or White play in this defense? thanks

In general, our 3-4 OLBs are now 4-3 ends. Bing, bam, boom, done.

As far as the off the ball linebackers, it depends on exactly which sub-style of 4-3 is run. 4-3 over looks more like a pure, straight ahead 4-3, with all 3 linebackers off the ball. This is what the Cowboys ran in the 1990s and what the Packers ran under Jim Bates before Capers. I believe it is far less common in the modern game.

4-3 under looks more like a 3-4, though it often flops which side is the 1T and which is the 3T tackles compared to a 3-4. In this scheme, the strong-side (TE side, typically offensive right, defensive left) OLB lines up on the LOS to jam the tight end. The premise being they can help shutdown the run and mug the TE in and prevent a clean release in the passing game. Since the SAM is shifted, the MIKE and WILL also shift slightly towards strength as well. In under, the Mike and Will is almost perfectly 1:1 translated to the two ILBs in a 3-4. Seahawks ran this under Carrol and the Packers ran it under Fritz.

Quay could play MIKE or WILL in either scheme, it depends on who the other linebacker is and what the DC is looking for. Mike tends to be more of the thumper player, Will tends to be a faster sideline to sideline player. If, for example, McDuffie is the other linebacker, I'd be more inclined to put Quay at Will. For pass defense, if the defense is in Man to Man, the Mike typically has the fullback, Will takes the running back.

Also in under, Smith could be at least a part time SAM. He can line up on the LOS, sets a good edge, and has enough coverage skill to survive. When most teams go from base -> Nickel or Dime, the SAM is typically the man that leaves the field. In that situation, Smith is just be part of the DE rotation. This is even easier when you consider that base is only run about 30% of the time in the modern NFL. It's nickel-base, which is why the front isn't going to look that much different from last year. We have been a 2-4-5 nickel since Capers. Now we're going to be a 4-2-5 nickel team. The difference is our outside guys will have their hands in the dirt.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Just my view:

DE: Smith, Gary, Van Ness, Enagbare, Cox

DT: Clark, Slaton, Wyatt

DT/DE: Brooks, Wooden

MIKE: McDuffie

WILL: Walker

SAM: ???

I don't think anyone on the roster is in a position to play a true 4-3 SAM role. I think they will have to sign/draft a guy to fill that spot. But it's not a massive need, because that player is rarely on the field. The reality is that the switch to a 4-3 base isn't going to make a huge difference. They still going to live in sub package, like every other NFL team.

If they were to sign a guy like Queen, it would be to play ahead of McDuffie and the MIKE.

If they wanted a true SAM, I would look at guys like Frankie Luvu (CAR), Malik Harrison (BAL), or Anfernee Jennings (NE).

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not mind getting him. I guess I want to hold off on the RB until the 3rd.

I think you will get holding off on RB til the 3rd by default. Seems like the 1st RB off the board is expected maybe mid/late 2nd.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
With free agency mostly settled, I wanted to re-visit this topic. I'm going to assign scores to the various position groups. Here is the rubric:

1: No immediate need on the 53 man roster
2: Depth on the 53 is a need, but the starting roles are locked up
3: The starter is probably on the roster, but competition is needed
4: There's a candidate to compete on the roster, but a starter is probably needed
5: There's no viable option to start

Quarterback- 1: They are about to lock up their young franchise QB and the backup looks capable and is on year 2 of a rookie deal. They could certainly add a third guy if they love a given prospect and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's not a need in any sense.

Running Back- 2: In Jacobs, they have a runner who is capable of being the foundation of the ground game and Dillon brings depth and 3rd down capability; they could use a backup with some serious juice to add a play-making dimension.

Tight End- 1: There are already two guys on the roster that you want to give a lot of snaps, plus two players vying for bit-part/ST roles.

Wide Receiver- 1: There are currently six players that you'd absolutely want to see make the roster (Reed, Wicks, Watson, Doubs, Melton, Heath) and at least two more who add camp competition (Dubose, Toure). If a guy is too good to pass on in this class, no problem. But they could pass altogether and be more than fine.

Offensive Tackle- 3: If Tom stays at RT, there's no concern there; I like Walker as the answer at LT and hope he continues to develop, but I think it would be wise to draft a backup who is capable of pushing him a little bit.

Guard- 3: Much like at tackle, one spot is locked up with Jenkins while the other is murkier; I think Rhyan has the inside lane to starting, but he needs some legit competition.

Center- 3: Myers almost certainly isn't getting benched, but he ought to be pushed for his job and he's entering a contract year.

Defensive Tackle- 2: It's possible that both Slaton and Clark are in their last seasons with Green Bay; they will need to prepare for that eventuality.

Defensive End- 2: Gary and LVN are long-term guys, but Smith could be out as early as next season; Cox isn't a lock to make the roster and Enagbare is going to miss a big chunk of the season.

Linebacker- 4: I think the FO/staff probably really loves McDuffie, and I think that's great, but he's also somewhat limited and entering a contract year. They have essentially nothing behind him and Walker, and there will be downs where they want to have three backers on the field.

Cornerback- 3: Cornerback is the position that's most open to interpretation. Jaire could rejuvenate his fit with GB this year, or he could play out the string and be dealt in 2025. Stokes might be useful or just a total loss due to injury. Valentine could be a future fixture or a flash in the pan. I'm not high on Nixon as a starting nickel.

Safety- 5: One spot is on lockdown (thankfully the much more valuable/import one), but the other is still a total void.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With free agency mostly settled, I wanted to re-visit this topic. I'm going to assign scores to the various position groups. Here is the rubric:

1: No immediate need on the 53 man roster
2: Depth on the 53 is a need, but the starting roles are locked up
3: The starter is probably on the roster, but competition is needed
4: There's a candidate to compete on the roster, but a starter is probably needed
5: There's no viable option to start

Quarterback- 1: They are about to lock up their young franchise QB and the backup looks capable and is on year 2 of a rookie deal. They could certainly add a third guy if they love a given prospect and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's not a need in any sense.

Running Back- 2: In Jacobs, they have a runner who is capable of being the foundation of the ground game and Dillon brings depth and 3rd down capability; they could use a backup with some serious juice to add a play-making dimension.

Tight End- 1: There are already two guys on the roster that you want to give a lot of snaps, plus two players vying for bit-part/ST roles.

Wide Receiver- 1: There are currently six players that you'd absolutely want to see make the roster (Reed, Wicks, Watson, Doubs, Melton, Heath) and at least two more who add camp competition (Dubose, Toure). If a guy is too good to pass on in this class, no problem. But they could pass altogether and be more than fine.

Offensive Tackle- 3: If Tom stays at RT, there's no concern there; I like Walker as the answer at LT and hope he continues to develop, but I think it would be wise to draft a backup who is capable of pushing him a little bit.

Guard- 3: Much like at tackle, one spot is locked up with Jenkins while the other is murkier; I think Rhyan has the inside lane to starting, but he needs some legit competition.

Center- 3: Myers almost certainly isn't getting benched, but he ought to be pushed for his job and he's entering a contract year.

Defensive Tackle- 2: It's possible that both Slaton and Clark are in their last seasons with Green Bay; they will need to prepare for that eventuality.

Defensive End- 2: Gary and LVN are long-term guys, but Smith could be out as early as next season; Cox isn't a lock to make the roster and Enagbare is going to miss a big chunk of the season.

Linebacker- 4: I think the FO/staff probably really loves McDuffie, and I think that's great, but he's also somewhat limited and entering a contract year. They have essentially nothing behind him and Walker, and there will be downs where they want to have three backers on the field.

Cornerback- 3: Cornerback is the position that's most open to interpretation. Jaire could rejuvenate his fit with GB this year, or he could play out the string and be dealt in 2025. Stokes might be useful or just a total loss due to injury. Valentine could be a future fixture or a flash in the pan. I'm not high on Nixon as a starting nickel.

Safety- 5: One spot is on lockdown (thankfully the much more valuable/import one), but the other is still a total void.
100% with you on all this. I would however add an HBack/FB role and say it is a 5, but again the relative value of that position doesn't mean you force something. I love Ben Sinnott or Jaheim Bell as your two best draft candidates but still....MLF could role out Dillon at times in that role, or use it as a way to get Kraft and Musgrave both on the field more and while Kraft isn't exactly an H Back type, he too could roll in some.

I appreciate how open you view CB...I see it with the signing of McKinney almost more dire now than Safety....

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO. Positions needed to play quality snaps this season. ILB-S-CB-OL.
IMO. Positions needed for depth & future quality snaps. DL-RB-E-ILB-OL-DB.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
100% with you on all this. I would however add an HBack/FB role and say it is a 5, but again the relative value of that position doesn't mean you force something. I love Ben Sinnott or Jaheim Bell as your two best draft candidates but still....MLF could role out Dillon at times in that role, or use it as a way to get Kraft and Musgrave both on the field more and while Kraft isn't exactly an H Back type, he too could roll in some.

I appreciate how open you view CB...I see it with the signing of McKinney almost more dire now than Safety....

Yeah I could see that. I do wonder though if they might just take someone late or in UDFA and stack them up with Sims and Davis and let them compete for that job. At this point, it's going to be hard to get snaps to all the guys that they want on the field. You figure on the average snap, there is room for 5 tight ends and wide receivers combined. When healthy, there are 8 players vying for those touches. Maybe LaFleur leans more into 12 and less into 21. We will see. Sinnott would be sweet.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I could see that. I do wonder though if they might just take someone late or in UDFA and stack them up with Sims and Davis and let them compete for that job. At this point, it's going to be hard to get snaps to all the guys that they want on the field. You figure on the average snap, there is room for 5 tight ends and wide receivers combined. When healthy, there are 8 players vying for those touches. Maybe LaFleur leans more into 12 and less into 21. We will see. Sinnott would be sweet.
That’s why I deep dived into Bell…Sinnott I think is likely gone by our fourth, and would require a third….just not the snap count guy I suspect with our stacked top two TEs.

Bell I think could be there even into the fifth or so.

Members online

Latest posts