Draft/FA Needs in 2024

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
As the strengths and weaknesses of this Packers' team come into view, it has struck me how black/white the needs (or absence of needs) are. It seems that at almost every position group on the roster, they either need nothing (in terms of the 53 man roster-- you can always add to the 90 at all positions) OR they need multiple players.

Virtually No Need:

-QB: Love is the man and Clifford looks like a very capable backup who is under team control.

-TE: Musgrave and Kraft both appear to be hits and Sims has been promising as well.

-WR: Watson, Reed, Wicks, Doubs, Heath, Melton... there are 6 guys who appear to be very much roster worthy and all under team control and we haven't even gotten to Toure and Dubose.

-DL: With the progress shown by Slaton and the promise in the young guys, there isn't really room for anyone here (Clark, Wyatt, Slaton, Brooks, Wooden and they normally carry five).

-ED: Gary, Smith, Van Ness, Enagbare, Cox... at most, you're talking about competition for the 5th spot (if you even decide to carry five). Even if they chose to move on from Smith, they've drafted his replacement already.

-ST: Carlson and Whelan have both shown enough to keep going.

Need for Multiple Dips:

-RB/FB: You're probably bringing back Jones because of contract status, but he's aging out and his health is unreliable; they need at least two new running backs who can play and you also need a new H-Back/Fullback.

-OL: They need depth/competition at tackle, guard, and center. You're probably not finding a rookie who can be better than Walker, but you want to push him and have a plan B. It's possible that Rhyan is the future at RG, but I don't think they can bank on it. Myers is probable going to keep the job next season, but he's not extendable and should be pushed.

-LB: They are certainly going to move on from Campbell; McDuffie is a reasonable fill-in but they need competition for him and depth behind him and Quay.

-CB: Alexander is probably back, but Stokes cannot be relied upon; the team should approach the roster as though Stokes is not an asset and if he bounces back, it's gravy. The only other viable NFL player they have is Valentine. You need 5 guys minimum and 6 more realistically. Fans will hate it, but cornerback is the most likely pick in the 1st round in my opinion.

-SAF: Johnson Jr. is literally the only guy returning.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
-QB: Love is the man and Clifford looks like a very capable backup who is under team control.
I saw that Clifford leads the league, not this year but all time, for yards per attempt. QB competition in camp??
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I see Mr. Biles seems to get it. Just wish he were a step faster.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As the strengths and weaknesses of this Packers' team come into view, it has struck me how black/white the needs (or absence of needs) are. It seems that at almost every position group on the roster, they either need nothing (in terms of the 53 man roster-- you can always add to the 90 at all positions) OR they need multiple players.

Virtually No Need:

-TE: Musgrave and Kraft both appear to be hits and Sims has been promising as well.

-WR: Watson, Reed, Wicks, Doubs, Heath, Melton... there are 6 guys who appear to be very much roster worthy and all under team control and we haven't even gotten to Toure and Dubose.

-DL: With the progress shown by Slaton and the promise in the young guys, there isn't really room for anyone here (Clark, Wyatt, Slaton, Brooks, Wooden and they normally carry five).

-ED: Gary, Smith, Van Ness, Enagbare, Cox... at most, you're talking about competition for the 5th spot (if you even decide to carry five). Even if they chose to move on from Smith, they've drafted his replacement already.

Need for Multiple Dips:

-RB/FB: You're probably bringing back Jones because of contract status, but he's aging out and his health is unreliable; they need at least two new running backs who can play and you also need a new H-Back/Fullback.

-OL: They need depth/competition at tackle, guard, and center. You're probably not finding a rookie who can be better than Walker, but you want to push him and have a plan B. It's possible that Rhyan is the future at RG, but I don't think they can bank on it. Myers is probable going to keep the job next season, but he's not extendable and should be pushed.

-LB: They are certainly going to move on from Campbell; McDuffie is a reasonable fill-in but they need competition for him and depth behind him and Quay.

-CB: Alexander is probably back, but Stokes cannot be relied upon; the team should approach the roster as though Stokes is not an asset and if he bounces back, it's gravy. The only other viable NFL player they have is Valentine. You need 5 guys minimum and 6 more realistically. Fans will hate it, but cornerback is the most likely pick in the 1st round in my opinion.

Like your explanations. But why not Jonathan Owens? I love the way he tackles.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Like your explanations. But why not Jonathan Owens? I love the way he tackles.

I wasn't saying that Johnson Jr. is the only guy who should be back; he's the only guy currently under contract for next season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't saying that Johnson Jr. is the only guy who should be back; he's the only guy currently under contract for next season.
Oh. I hope you are right about DL. I agree with everything you said. I'm thinking along the same lines. Although I would like to see more of Emanual Wilson

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Dantes you mentioned it but someone asked me who has IMO progressed the most from last year to this year and Slaton is the ONLY answer in my opinion worth even considering. Dudes' growth has been phenomenal and if there is more there, he could be working into an extension mid-2024 season.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I look at this team who is young a lot of highs and lows which was expected. I’m personally not ready to say Jordan Love is the next HOF qb in Green Bay but I think he is gonna be a good QB. Biggest needs imo would be safety and OLine If I were a betting man they are gonna look for a for sure fire lineman high in the draft to protect love moving forward. I think you can hit on lineman in any round but I see that happening. You can argue edge high too or shifting walker to edge and drafting another MLB high. Safety is a need and I can bet they dip in the WR room I still they they need a true #1 WR I think Higgins could be that guy but we all know they won’t pay anyone. Someone in that wr room is gonna break out and be a star and I think it’s gonna be Wicks. I think they should let Dillon walk draft a bigger back late and keep Aaron jones. He is ELITE and under used they will have to restructure him but even at his age he is still productive and criminally under used. They should trade picks for future draft picks or move up multiple times and find blue chip players. All those picks and the roster is gonna be full. Ride with what they got or trade for young disgruntled players. Either way I think they are in a good spot moving forward just gotta watch it unfold and beat the bears on Sunday. Like you CANT lose that game lol

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones is underused only when he isn't healthy typically...which is often. He is going to hit that cliff all running backs do at some point and if he doesn't take a cut this next year we have to release him though.

I think drafting a high pick or signing a high end WR would be the worst thing to do with this roster structure right now personally.

Edge will be for sure a priority of some degree as Preston cannot keep playing at the level he is forever and it would be a perfect world to begin allowing him more breathers because when fresh or situational the dude is still freaking good...but that body isn't going to sustain such a high snap count forever. If we move him and save some I see us going edge as early as day1 given the positional value.

Cornerback > Safety for me is needed...you can get by in the NFL with decent safeties but you gotta have solid corner play if you want a chance in this league. Dantes and I align in the thought process...Stokes should be a bonus thought not planned on, we have to add another high end draft pick to our outside corners to compliment Jaire and as a protection incase Valentine was a rookie wonder...Resign Owens or Rudy or both again as neither are going to garner the bank anywhere else and that allows Gute to not feel cornered into pushing safety priority on draft days and letting one come to him. These two positional needs is why I feel Cooper DeJean is the perfect pick for us Day1 as if Stokes comes back hopping and Valentine in his sophomore year grows even more Cooper is a starting safety...if anyone faulters he for sure can play outside corner for you.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones is underused only when he isn't healthy typically...which is often. He is going to hit that cliff all running backs do at some point and if he doesn't take a cut this next year we have to release him though.

I think drafting a high pick or signing a high end WR would be the worst thing to do with this roster structure right now personally.

Edge will be for sure a priority of some degree as Preston cannot keep playing at the level he is forever and it would be a perfect world to begin allowing him more breathers because when fresh or situational the dude is still freaking good...but that body isn't going to sustain such a high snap count forever. If we move him and save some I see us going edge as early as day1 given the positional value.

Cornerback > Safety for me is needed...you can get by in the NFL with decent safeties but you gotta have solid corner play if you want a chance in this league. Dantes and I align in the thought process...Stokes should be a bonus thought not planned on, we have to add another high end draft pick to our outside corners to compliment Jaire and as a protection incase Valentine was a rookie wonder...Resign Owens or Rudy or both again as neither are going to garner the bank anywhere else and that allows Gute to not feel cornered into pushing safety priority on draft days and letting one come to him. These two positional needs is why I feel Cooper DeJean is the perfect pick for us Day1 as if Stokes comes back hopping and Valentine in his sophomore year grows even more Cooper is a starting safety...if anyone faulters he for sure can play outside corner for you.
Good take my guy!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Virtually No Need:

Can we all just sit back and appreciate that what Dantes stated here is legit and true for possibly the first time in a LONG time. Last year we had no TEs on staff essentially and loss of Lazard and Cobb needed replaced, year before we had to somehow try and replace Adams....last two years Gute recharged our defensive trenches and got lucky hitting on a late round corner to a degree in Valentine. 2021 we were leaving the King era and needed a CB plus a center as Linsley departed....

This year while there are areas to improve or challenge (iOL for one) arguably the only real hole we have is safeties and arguably our weakest "group" is our back 7 on defense.

My buddy brought up a thought I think has some validity too.....he said everyone along the OL would like to see Tom at guard as they think that is his best spot....but why? He arguably was our best OL period in 2023, can be the RT for the future. Who really needs to move is Jenkins. What if our best OL is Jenkins at center like he did some in college?

Got me thinking...imagine a draft where we pick up two guys that can win RG and take LG with Jenkins sliding in...with where we are in the draft even if we don't go OL in the first day...imagine drafting say Cooper Beebe (pure stud guard) and a Kiran or a Javon Foster or Blake Fisher...tackles that easily should be able to slide inside. That may just be the ticket to improving our OL even more so.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we all just sit back and appreciate that what Dantes stated here is legit and true for possibly the first time in a LONG time.
F no! This is a forum, we need to disagree or it gets quite boring.

Actually, I am on board with everything that he said except that I think that safety is the greatest need.....then ILB, then CB, then OL, then RB. We are in a good place personnel wise.

I also think that with the big part of Rodger's contract coming off of the books, there is space to find a veteran safety in FA while still drafting one for the future.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Virtually No Need:

Need for Multiple Dips:

A reasonable assessment. I think the first pick could be either safety or CB. I think it's going to be a question of best player available. I do agree that they have a preference, but will live with the results, with two 2nd and two 3rds to work with.

Good post!

edensmage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Got me thinking...imagine a draft where we pick up two guys that can win RG and take LG with Jenkins sliding in...with where we are in the draft even if we don't go OL in the first day...imagine drafting say Cooper Beebe (pure stud guard) and a Kiran or a Javon Foster or Blake Fisher...tackles that easily should be able to slide inside. That may just be the ticket to improving our OL even more so.

Yes! Absolutely agree. I definitely think if we can double dip on SAF and OL we'll be in a sweet spot for next year. I also think there is a ton of good IOL in the mid rounds even if we miss on someone like Beebe, powers, van pran, etc.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I think about it; the more holes I see and the more positions I would like to fill. I think a really good safety should be #1 priority. And though a very big D lineman would be great; I really want to keep getting stronger on the O line. And I don't trust Stokes, so a CB. But to throw in a curve, I'd love it if the top Inside Linebacker dropped to us in the 2nd and we got him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I think about it; the more holes I see and the more positions I would like to fill. I think a really good safety should be #1 priority. And though a very big D lineman would be great; I really want to keep getting stronger on the O line. And I don't trust Stokes, so a CB. But to throw in a curve, I'd love it if the top Inside Linebacker dropped to us in the 2nd and we got him.

Off ball LB is no curve ball. Devondre is losing to Father Time and Quay has not been clearly an ILB1 right now yet for me. I would absolutely be tickled if our first three picks involve a starting safety, ILB and CB in any order.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Off ball LB is no curve ball. Devondre is losing to Father Time and Quay has not been clearly an ILB1 right now yet for me. I would absolutely be tickled if our first three picks involve a starting safety, ILB and CB in any order.
And then a couple of OL

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll stick with the 2 OL. Gotta get stronger there.

Truthfully I don't box or pencil in draft needs in the manner of which many like you do. Sure overarching this draft would be awesome in my mind to bring in a starter at safety, a starter or ILB2, a high level cornerback. Those are the three positional weaknesses I see as most glaring on this team, quickly followed by OL depth minimum or one starter beneficial plus a RB2 at this point in the game (could change).

As much as our OL could improve it wasn't what cost us games this year when it mattered, that was the back seven primarily on defense. If this draft does nothing but improves that I'll call it a success.

Our starting OL is, atm, having to replace just one guy. I'd love to in the draft lock in someone at RG better than Rhyan and either a swing tackle or developmental center for Myers but both of those things can be Day3 type swings truthfully. Let's just say Gute does no movement and names we hear are something like:

Day1 - Ennis Rakestraw Jr CB
Day2 - we leave with Edgerrin Cooper LB, Javon Bullard S, Gabriel Murphy Edge, Blake Fisher OT
Day3 - Javon Foster OT, Jawhar Jordan RB, Khalid Duke DE/OLB, Dylan McMahon C, Jordan Magee LB, Marshel Martin FB/TE

Folks may scream bloody murder that we go four straight defense but something like that (not specific names but positionally) happens I not only would understand, I'd be excited.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Truthfully I don't box or pencil in draft needs in the manner of which many like you do. Sure overarching this draft would be awesome in my mind to bring in a starter at safety, a starter or ILB2, a high level cornerback. Those are the three positional weaknesses I see as most glaring on this team, quickly followed by OL depth minimum or one starter beneficial plus a RB2 at this point in the game (could change).

As much as our OL could improve it wasn't what cost us games this year when it mattered, that was the back seven primarily on defense. If this draft does nothing but improves that I'll call it a success.

Our starting OL is, atm, having to replace just one guy. I'd love to in the draft lock in someone at RG better than Rhyan and either a swing tackle or developmental center for Myers but both of those things can be Day3 type swings truthfully. Let's just say Gute does no movement and names we hear are something like:

Day2 - we leave with Edgerrin Cooper LB, Javon Bullard S, Gabriel Murphy Edge, Blake Fisher OT
Day3 - Javon Foster OT, Jawhar Jordan RB, Khalid Duke DE/OLB, Dylan McMahon C, Jordan Magee LB, Marshel Martin FB/TE

Folks may scream bloody murder that we go four straight defense but something like that (not specific names but positionally) happens I not only would understand, I'd be excited.
Me too. This team needs to get better up the middle of the defense.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

New coordinators typically get new tools to use in their first draft.

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a factor I think we may see play out too
And I am fine with that. We can get a good running back late, or pray tell if he is looking for a ring get Derrick Henry on the cheap (just throwing that out there)
What Gute does later with offensive linemen hopefully he does it with this draft.
I could easily see a top heavy defensive draft targeting speed and physicality which I believe we sorely lack.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not saying this is a great need and so would rather have it in the later rounds if at all. But a super fast w/o that can catch the ball on the run (has good eyesight for the ball) would be nice. Someone that only does that. Not a good all round receiver (so that kind of guy might be available late). Just someone kind of like MVS but does not drop the ball.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not saying this is a great need and so would rather have it in the later rounds if at all. But a super fast w/o that can catch the ball on the run (has good eyesight for the ball) would be nice. Someone that only does that. Not a good all round receiver (so that kind of guy might be available late). Just someone kind of like MVS but does not drop the ball.

Waste of space in a crowded WR room....we have two sub 4.4 guys already in the room (Watson / Melton)

We already have:
Watson
Doubs
Wicks
Reed
Heath
Melton
Dubose
Pitts

If we decide to draft a WR, IMO it needs to be a guy that clearly can do many different things and truly would not be a wasted pick...someone that comes in and worst case is our WR5 essentially wiping Heath/Melton/Dubose from a chance at roster spot.