World Cup Russia 2018

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Our defence resembled Shane MacGowan's teeth. I'm over it already as long as Gulati and Arena get publicly executed.... errr I mean fired.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Things are not any different in Scotland as it seems. Scapegoat found, Strachan is history. Will be interesting to see who takes over. However, I had the impression that he did a good job and especially the second half of the campaign was a move into the right direction.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Things are not any different in Scotland as it seems. Scapegoat found, Strachan is history. Will be interesting to see who takes over. However, I had the impression that he did a good job and especially the second half of the campaign was a move into the right direction.
Its a difficult one Nessie, results have improved but bottom line did they make the playoffs? no. I like Strachan however thats the second qualifyng campaign he's been involved in and no qualification. Its a much bigger issue i think, the players are not good enough and the SFA are to blame they should have spent their money better in the past on full sized indoor pitches in every town in the country.

(This is what Iceland have done for example) Instead of spending millions renovating Hampden Park and suchlike. Strachan said Scottish players are too short but being a short ar$e did not seem to hinder this fellow i seem to remember. ;)
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Gordon Strachan was a gentleman and a proud Scotsman too. It's a genuine shame to see this happen to him and I'm being genuine here.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Our defence resembled Shane MacGowan's teeth. I'm over it already as long as Gulati and Arena get publicly executed.... errr I mean fired.
I know what you mean........but have you seen him latley? hes got a brand new set of knashers! :D

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its a difficult one Nessie, results have improved but bottom line did they make the playoffs? no. I like Strachan however thats the second qualifyng campaign he's been involved in and no qualification. Its a much bigger issue i think, the players are not good enough and the SFA are to blame they should have spent their money better in the past on full sized indoor pitches in every town in the country.

(This is what Iceland have done for example) Instead of spending millions renovating Hampden Park and suchlike. Strachan said Scottish players are too short but being a short ar$e did not seem to hinder this fellow i seem to remember. ;)

You've got a point there, PF71. Yes, again they did not qualify and thats what counts, in the end it's professional football and its all about having success and in this case Strachan failed again. On the other hand and as far as I could watch the games the football that they played in the second half of the campaign looked good and made me think they're making progress.
I've read about the "being too short" statement and must admit that I'm shocked because thats utter nonsense, besides the 1,65 m Diego M. you mentioned, arguably one of the best players ever, just think of the Spanish team that won multiple championships despite of having a team with short players like Iniesta for example.
However, think Strachan should have got the chance for one last campaign, just to see if the positive trend could be confirmed.
But of course most important is that the SFA invests in their youth, like we have done it over here in Germany after the horrible EM 2000 campaign.
Looking forward to see who takes over, any news on this, who's the favourite.
Btw - I've read many angry comments about Mark McGhee, is there a reason why ?

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
You've got a point there, PF71. Yes, again they did not qualify and thats what counts, in the end it's professional football and its all about having success and in this case Strachan failed again. On the other hand and as far as I could watch the games the football that they played in the second half of the campaign looked good and made me think they're making progress.
I've read about the "being too short" statement and must admit that I'm shocked because thats utter nonsense, besides the 1,65 m Diego M. you mentioned, arguably one of the best players ever, just think of the Spanish team that won multiple championships despite of having a team with short players like Iniesta for example.
However, think Strachan should have got the chance for one last campaign, just to see if the positive trend could be confirmed.
But of course most important is that the SFA invests in their youth, like we have done it over here in Germany after the horrible EM 2000 campaign.
Looking forward to see who takes over, any news on this, who's the favourite.
Btw - I've read many angry comments about Mark McGhee, is there a reason why ?

Some say if they gave him another deal it would be rewarding failure, i don't know really to be honest but now we will never know. No idea who will replace him could be anyone. Mark McGhee's stock is low because he's made bad decisions and is a pretty grumpy character too allegedly.

Last edited:

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Southbank, Molineux, Wolverhampton, England
Honestly, I think where Scotland finished, is probably about where they are. They didn't over, nor under achieve. They don't have any star players playing in the top leagues in Europe.

It's not all doom and gloom though.

The Scottish FA have made huge steps forward the past few years, lots of 'all weather' pitches, from youth level to senior. The problem with these kind of improvements, is that you don't see instant results.

Next World Cup? Maybe.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Honestly, I think where Scotland finished, is probably about where they are. They didn't over, nor under achieve. They don't have any star players playing in the top leagues in Europe.

It's not all doom and gloom though.

The Scottish FA have made huge steps forward the past few years, lots of 'all weather' pitches, from youth level to senior. The problem with these kind of improvements, is that you don't see instant results.

Next World Cup? Maybe.
With regards to where Scotland finished, Scotland are where they should be. I thought *Slovakia would get 2nd place at the start and so it was. Slovinia too are a better team than us technically however we finished above them.

What cost the Scots was dropping points and two wins in the home games against England and Lithuania.

Twenty years and still waiting........the players are not good enough but they try their best, and the buck stops not with the manager whoever that may be, but the SFA.

*Slovakia may yet still not make the playoffs depending on results.

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
However, looking forward to Russia and hopefully our usual match against
England with the usual outcome ;)
But to be serious - I’m afraid we‘re not going far this time, the quarter-finals, perhaps the semi-finals at best, depending what group we are playing.
Dont see the team as good as 4 yrs ago.

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
Howe

ver, looking forward to Russia and hopefully our usual match against
England with the usual outcome ;)
But to be serious - I’m afraid we‘re not going far this time, the quarter-finals, perhaps the semi-finals at best, depending what group we are playing.
Dont see the team as good as 4 yrs ago.

You aren't optimistic about Germany's chances? You are one of the few methinks.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
It's a shame the U.S. men's team can't have the same kind of organizational leadership as the women. There is actually some real talent available here in the U.S. which could do well with the right organizational abilities and management. But the way the men's team is run right now is tragic.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Crikey! never knew Wayne Rooney was in the Wehrmacht!? :eek::D

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Did not know that Weah jun. is playing for the US team, how come. Is George Weah living in the US ?
Germany won 4-0 against Columbia, two goals by HSV-player Jan-Fiete Arp, one of the most talented strikers in Germany.

I believe that Tim Weah lives with his mother in the USA.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
USA U-17 vs England U-17 in a quarterfinal matchup! Will be good.

Members online

Latest posts