World Cup Russia 2018

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tru dat! i remember a joint bid for one of the Euro's with the Irish they both finished fourth of four in the bid process, not cultured in the way of UEFA/FIFA's black arts quite clearly.
Well, if you guys had known the "rules" you might have hosted a Euro tournament. Amateurs :rolleyes::D

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Uli Hoeness is a bad guy. Why? Looks like the league sets the example if you ask me.
He is not a bad guy, he is a criminal. Just like anybody else who is guilty of tax evasion.
But that what is happening at the German Football Association (DFB) at the moment is a trick by the prosecutors to find out if there had been black money or not. They just need to find a reason to investigate and tax evasion fits perfectly.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
These guys already know I'm a big Mario fan. He might not be a sharp as he was a few years back, but I still like him.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
This German team will struggle in 2018 unless they make some big changes. Heck, France is a step or two quicker on almost every play.

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
Video from the stadium during the match....you can clearly hear an explosion, all the players kind of stop for a second before continuing play.

I'm befuddled as to why the game (a friendly!) wasn't called off immediately.

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
Video from the stadium during the match....you can clearly hear an explosion, all the players kind of stop for a second before continuing play.

I'm befuddled as to why the game (a friendly!) wasn't called off immediately.

Here's some speculation I've put together from what I have learned....

There's a few clips online of the game, and you can hear the blasts....the players stop for a second, but no one reacts so they keep playing.

From what I have read, the police locked down the stadium, but no one inside realized it. It wasn't until after the game was over and people realized they couldn't leave (and that something terrible was happening) that they panicked and rushed the field.

I'm guessing the police at the stadium stayed silent to avoid a mass panic which would have caused a very dangerous situation (that stadium can hold 80,000 fans).

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm guessing the police at the stadium stayed silent to avoid a mass panic which would have caused a very dangerous situation (that stadium can hold 80,000 fans).
Thats what they say in our media too and the police was right to do so.
I'm nothing but disgusted by these cowards that kill innocent people for their strange believes that belong to stone age. But this discussion does not belong to this thread, sorry.

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
Thats what they say in our media too and the police was right to do so.
I'm nothing but disgusted by these cowards that kill innocent people for their strange believes that belong to stone age. But this discussion does not belong to this thread, sorry.

I agree that the whole terrorism discussion doesn't need to take place here, but I do believe the attempted bombings and police response are pretty relevant, especially since the Euro cup is in France next year.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I agree that the whole terrorism discussion doesn't need to take place here, but I do believe the attempted bombings and police response are pretty relevant, especially since the Euro cup is in France next year.

It is relevant for now. But there is a section on our forums to discuss the world's problems too.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
They just cancelled the Germany - Holland friendly one hour before kickoff. Strange. Media says they discovered suspicious people around the stadium but no details communicated so far. People have to leave the stadium now immediately. Think they are all very nervous and it wouldn't surprise me if it all was a false alarm.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
They just cancelled the Germany - Holland friendly one hour before kickoff. Strange. Media says they discovered suspicious people around the stadium but no details communicated so far. People have to leave the stadium now immediately. Think they are all very nervous and it wouldn't surprise me if it all was a false alarm.

Making people safe is always priority #1. I think what is most bothersome is this is just a few days after a major attack. Honestly, they had 3 days to prepare for this. Seems like a failure with so much time to prepare, just to cancel the game.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Making people safe is always priority #1. I think what is most bothersome is this is just a few days after a major attack. Honestly, they had 3 days to prepare for this. Seems like a failure with so much time to prepare, just to cancel the game.
I think there is a lot of confusion at the moment and - even worse - threats of copycat attacks (is this the right word?)
As you wrote - safety is priority and in case of any doubts I'd prefer having the event cancelled instead of hundreds of killed people.
I think this will change the organisation and safety features of events like football games a lot. I expect to have more safety checks like it's done at the airport or NFL stadiums. (no bags etc)
Scheiss Terroristen ! ;)

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
I think there is a lot of confusion at the moment and - even worse - threats of copycat attacks (is this the right word?)
As you wrote - safety is priority and in case of any doubts I'd prefer having the event cancelled instead of hundreds of killed people.
I think this will change the organisation and safety features of events like football games a lot. I expect to have more safety checks like it's done at the airport or NFL stadiums. (no bags etc)
Scheiss Terroristen ! ;)

It is the correct word. But imagine if that Germany game would have been a proper match as opposed to a friendly... then what? I am going to the FC Koeln game this Saturday and there are already threats, but I'm going anyways and I expect the game to be played with no problems.

Members online

Latest posts