Will Mark Murphy Be Next?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've called for Murphy's head dating as far back as 2013 I'd say. But let's be honest, in any other organization not name the Packers: new coach, new GM, new FAs and team keeps failing? Time for the Big Cheese(pun intended) to go. The Packers unfortunately face a unique handicap that no other team has and that's the lack of an owner, but to say Murphy wouldn't have been fired long ago had we a traditional owner is hypocrisy. Yea he's orchestrated a Super Bowl, but the NFL will forever be a "What have you done for me lately?" affair. To that account, it's past due for Murphy to pay up.

Reaction score
There is a valid point to all this. The common denominators to our recent demise are diminishing rapidly and the “persons of interest” are about to be named “prime suspect” :whistling:

I do feel like he’s got more than one season to improve markedly under a new system. As long as we have a winning record his job is safe in the short term IMO.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've called for Murphy's head dating as far back as 2013 I'd say. But let's be honest, in any other organization not name the Packers: new coach, new GM, new FAs and team keeps failing? Time for the Big Cheese(pun intended) to go. The Packers unfortunately face a unique handicap that no other team has and that's the lack of an owner, but to say Murphy wouldn't have been fired long ago had we a traditional owner is hypocrisy. Yea he's orchestrated a Super Bowl, but the NFL will forever be a "What have you done for me lately?" affair. To that account, it's past due for Murphy to pay up.
I would say exactly the opposite where you say the Packers are uniquely “handicapped” by the lack of an owner. I am not saying that Murphy needs to go, however if need arises, it can be done. Try that with an owner lol.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's been largely in charge of team financials, of which they're doing great and keeping up the brand, again, he's done a pretty good job.

It wasn't until the past year he's really gotten involved in football operations with hiring a new GM and being part of the new HC search and hire. The new GM has done a pretty decent job so far after year 1 and looks to have gotten some good FA acquisitions and I'm excited about Savage, Jenkins, Keke and Gary in this draft. I think at least 3 of them are going to be really good, which is would be another good draft. Who's mad he got Gute for a GM and what's your reasoning?

and he's not on a hot seat with a first year head coach, not at all.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And he really stuck his foot in his mouth when he said that he is a "football person", which he is, so he should be held to an even higher standard then non-football execs. He played in the league, won a Super Bowl, and was named to a Pro Bowl. He should know what it takes to win. For whatever reason, his success has been limited.

I would say exactly the opposite where you say the Packers are uniquely “handicapped” by the lack of an owner. I am not saying that Murphy needs to go, however if need arises, it can be done. Try that with an owner lol.

How can you say that? There are currently FORTY-TWO members on the Packers' Board of Directors which is led by a SEVEN member Executive Committee. I'm going to defer to @HardRightEdge on this because he's a a nerd(LOL), but I'm pretty sure to fire Murphy the Executive Committee's vote has to be unanimous. We have a better chance of getting immigration reform passed in Congress.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm going to defer to @HardRightEdge on this because he's a a nerd(LOL), but I'm pretty sure to fire Murphy the Executive Committee's vote has to be unanimous. We have a better chance of getting immigration reform passed in Congress.
I am not enough of a "nerd (LOL)" to have read the Packer bylaws nor even how to get a copy. ;)

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And he really stuck his foot in his mouth when he said that he is a "football person", which he is, so he should be held to an even higher standard then non-football execs. He played in the league, won a Super Bowl, and was named to a Pro Bowl. He should know what it takes to win. For whatever reason, his success has been limited.

How can you say that? There are currently FORTY-TWO members on the Packers' Board of Directors which is led by a SEVEN member Executive Committee. I'm going to defer to @HardRightEdge on this because he's a a nerd(LOL), but I'm pretty sure to fire Murphy the Executive Committee's vote has to be unanimous. We have a better chance of getting immigration reform passed in Congress.
Well since Murphy’s role in the organization is pretty much “de facto owner” I don’t really see your point. The board can relieve him. If we had an owner (as opposed to a CEO answerable to a board of directors) There is no one to relieve him at all. Again, your point was that somehow The Packers are handicapped more than other teams in this regard. I do not see this as being true.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well since Murphy’s role in the organization is pretty much “de facto owner” I don’t really see your point. The board can relieve him. If we had an owner (as opposed to a CEO answerable to a board of directors) There is no one to relieve him at all. Again, your point was that somehow The Packers are handicapped more than other teams in this regard. I do not see this as being true.

The difference is, owners are motivated in a different sense, and that's money. Of the 42 members on the Board of Directors, none of them get paid other than the 7 member Executive Committee; and that's a set salary. A true owner has to face the fact that if his/her team is losing, he/she is likely also losing money. When owners start losing money, they start applying pressure to those who have more immediate effects to the product on the field. We can go 16-0, we can go 0-16, Murphy(and the rest of the Executive Committee) is going to make the same salary regardless. The only thing that "saves" us with this structure is that there is a mandatory retirement age of 70; but unfortunately Murphy is only 64, meaning he most likely will exhaust the remainder of Rodgers career, so by the time someone new comes along we'll be completely starting from scratch.

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would firing Murphy achieve? Doubt anything more can be done. We have a new coach, transfer strategy and have overall fixed most obvious gaps and are a different team this year.

I think we should give this team at least one more season before start offing heads.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
He could be next...or...he could come after the video coordinator...or the head groundskeeper. It's a funny world goin' on out there.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not enough of a "nerd (LOL)" to have read the Packer bylaws nor even how to get a copy. ;)
I am that much of a nerd, so I spent 15 minutes doing internet searches but couldn't find much. The best that I found were the restated articles of incorporation for the 1997 stock sale.

Does anyone have links to the Packers bylaws?

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Part of the whole Favre departure debacle. TT and MM have been fired.... won’t be sorry to see him gone too.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would firing Murphy achieve? Doubt anything more can be done. We have a new coach, transfer strategy and have overall fixed most obvious gaps and are a different team this year.

I think we should give this team at least one more season before start offing heads.

He's bought himself some time, I agree. I often speculate that the reason for his more hands on approach lately has been due to the Executive Committee giving him for lack of better words, a "WTF Mark?" discussion.

But if MLF tanks us, there's no way Murphy can recover from that.

OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score
Let's sell the team to B. Favre, imagine the all those "Fat Cats" that would disappear.

He'd have TT cleaning the restrooms........:)

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's bought himself some time, I agree. I often speculate that the reason for his more hands on approach lately has been due to the Executive Committee giving him for lack of better words, a "WTF Mark?" discussion.

But if MLF tanks us, there's no way Murphy can recover from that.
Yeah, ideally TT and MM should have been fired 2 seasons earlier, it at last season. Probably only thing we have on MM.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, ideally TT and MM should have been fired 2 seasons earlier, it at last season. Probably only thing we have on MM.

That may pan out to be one of his biggest errors. With TT we had top talent in house waiting in the wings, but no talent for a HC Vacancy. I'm lukewarm at best on MLF, but even 2 seasons ago we had the likes of Frank ***** and Anthony Lynn available. I can't say necessarily for Lynn but I'm sure most of the Packer faithful would have been highly enthused for a former Super Bowl winning QB(albeit as a backup) and understudy to Jim Kelly in ***** at the helm.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he is a football person, but up until last year he wasn't really involved in the football decisions outside
Let's sell the team to B. Favre, imagine the all those "Fat Cats" that would disappear.

He'd have TT cleaning the restrooms........:)
he'd have more respect for a man that deserves it...

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF is MM's hand picked coach. If MLF doesn't pan out, there's only one guy to blame.

Members online

Latest posts