Will Mark Murphy Be Next?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While I don't see Murphy as currently sitting on a red hot seat, it is definitely warm. I think this and a GM with only one year under his belt was why Murphy "stepped in" and was part of the process of hiring MLF.

For fans to expect a pretty much new cast of characters to completely turn this ship around in one year and if they don't, Murphy gets canned, is a bit unrealistic IMO. If they don't make the playoffs this season, it will be attested to a new HC and OC and possibly injuries.

What I could see happening in 2 years, if the Packers aren't a playoff team, there is a clean sweep of everyone, including Murphy. If they are back making the playoffs, but can't get over the hump, then the "normal things" happen....Pettine and/or Hackett are gone..maybe a sacrifice of the Special Teams coach.

The Packer organization is making a ton of money and a lot of that is due in part to Murphy, they aren't going to cut the hand off that feeds them, unless things just keep staying as is on the football side of it for at least 2 more years.

Now if the Packers go 0-16, which I don't expect them to, everything I have written goes out the window and its Sayōnara Muchachos!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mark Murphy will be safe. His job was to pull the trigger in a new GM and HC, but it wasnt entirely him. They hired a consultant to search for potential hirees. Then they had a panel review and recommend. Not that he isnt ultimately responsible, but he wont be held feet to the fire if Gute or MLF dont pan out.

Murphys job is to manage a multi-billion dollar corporation. I once sat next to him at lunch, he was all alone. He was going over insurance plan paperwork for the Packer Corp Employees. You know there are over a 1,000 employees for the pack and only a few play football. And yes i snooped. It was a week before the draft and i wanted to see if it was a player profile he was looking at. But no, it was paperwork for admin matters on a huge business. Which is his job and far removed from day to day on the field activities.

And no, he wouldnt be fired if this were another team and not the Packers. Murphy does what the board wants, but he fills a similar role to the owner.

I mean seriously, there are those who dont realize what his role is as President.. Recently somebody wanted Joh Kuhn to be Packer President. Kuhn is a nice guy and smart, but his only business experience was 30 years ago running a lemonade stand. And we should install him as president of a multi billion dollar corporation?

Last edited:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Gute already isn't panning out

Strike one: wasting a pick on a big injury prone TE who won't be seeing the field come week 1 - BAD

Strike two: not replacing Bulaga and Taylor and leaving Rodgers exposed to more injury chances - HORRENDOUS

Strike three: not getting any quality WRs to offset Adams and MVS adding a third and fourth option for speed, another needed move with ESB on the IR

Not cutting it at all

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well Gute already isn't panning out

Strike one: wasting a pick on a big injury prone TE who won't be seeing the field come week 1 - BAD

I assume you are referring to Sternberger? Please define "injury prone" to me. Even had Jace been healthy, do you really think he was going to be seeing a lot of snaps right away as a rookie?

I get calling Kevin King injury prone and someone who is bordering on becoming a bust, but come on man....Sternberger?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does it ever seem like some are taking their stab at a satire piece?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I assume you are referring to Sternberger? Please define "injury prone" to me. Even had Jace been healthy, do you really think he was going to be seeing a lot of snaps right away as a rookie?

I get calling Kevin King injury prone and someone who is bordering on becoming a bust, but come on man....Sternberger?

Well being in the IR from getting dinged up in practice, yeah that sounds injury prone to me. As to his snaps, well sure seems like they were banking on him seeing a lot, especially with Graham on the decline.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well being in the IR from getting dinged up in practice, yeah that sounds injury prone to me.
Might want to do some fact checking before you post. Sternberger's injury happened in the Chiefs game. Even if it did happen in practice, I strongly disagree with this somehow bumping him up to "injury prone" status. If that were the case, you might as well label every player in the NFL "injury prone".

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Might want to do some fact checking before you post. Sternberger's injury happened in the Chiefs game. Even if it did happen in practice, I strongly disagree with this somehow bumping him up to "injury prone" status. If that were the case, you might as well label every player in the NFL "injury prone".

The whole point is a TE sitting on the IR doesn't help the offense, and neither does failure to build up WR depth or keeping a G or RT who both have been huge liabilities to protecting Rodgers. That there is why the narrative of Gute being anti offense has a lot of fuel to it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The whole point is a TE sitting on the IR doesn't help the offense, and neither does failure to build up WR depth or keeping a G or RT who both have been huge liabilities to protecting Rodgers. That there is why the narrative of Gute being anti offense has a lot of fuel to it.

While I will agree with you that I would have liked to see Gute do more to address the offense, he did use a second round pick on Jenkins, a 3rd round pick on Sternberger and signed Turner in FA. So that isn't exactly Gute being anti-offense, it just isn't as much as you wanted to see.

Jenkins was obviously drafted to take over for Taylor or Lang and we may see him do that this year or next. I think it was a solid pick and for now he is a solid backup. Turner was signed to take over RG, again I think a pretty decent FA signing. Sternberger was drafted to eventually take over for Graham, maybe that isn't happening as fast as some want to see, but I didn't expect it this year.

All in all I think Gute did a good job with the offensive line, a RT is on the "to do list" in 2020. Maybe he is relying too much on his young WR group to compliment Adams, but I can see the case for bringing in a top FA at WR or staying pat, which he did. I don't think mixing in high pick rookie WR would have been the answer this season, especially given the WR class.

Personally, I think his 2 biggest errors were at #2 QB and #3 RB.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Not knowing what 'modicom' means - probably doesnt bode well for me and appreciating the satire.
I think it has something to do with a comic book featuring the Prime Minister of India. I don't know if that's satire worth appreciating. :confused:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't you mean the Executive Committee for selecting Murphy? :tup:

Why not fire everbody now, before the season even starts, and get it out of the way? :whistling:

And take away the stock off every shareholder who voted for the Board of Directors who appointed the Executive Committee who hired Murphy who hired MLF who despite being the HC for 7 months has yet to win a Superbowl.

H

HardRightEdge

And take away the stock off every shareholder who voted for the Board of Directors who appointed the Executive Committee who hired Murphy who hired MLF who despite being the HC for 7 months has yet to win a Superbowl.
...and burn down Lambeau Field and move to San Antonio. :whistling:

H

HardRightEdge

So, are we ready to amend some of the above?

Fire everybody except the defense and special teams players and coaches? Keep the stadium? :whistling:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So, are we ready to amend some of the above?

Fire everybody except the defense and special teams players and coaches? Keep the stadium? :whistling:

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Sounds like some are ready to give Pettine an extension and Gute a pat on the back for some great off season additions to the defense.

I'm cautiously optimistic on a much improved defense, but as teams start watching film of "the new look defense", that could make it a bit harder to only give up 3 points in a game. Long season ahead and we will see much better QB's than Trubisky, but trending up is a good thing.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would firing Murphy achieve? Doubt anything more can be done. We have a new coach, transfer strategy and have overall fixed most obvious gaps and are a different team this year.

I think we should give this team at least one more season before start offing heads.
Well-reasoned response. Personally, I don’t like him and don’t think he’s near the “football guy” Harlan was, but he deserves a chance after what he’s put in place. And after an opening season win, and a big one, let’s focus on MLF, the new system, the revamped D, and see where we are in January.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just curious how Harlan is more of a "football guy" than Mark Murphy? Murphy played college ball, played in the NFL for almost a decade, was a pro bowler, won a super bowl as a player, etc. He then led that athletic programs at a couple universities and then was the president of the Packers and has won a super bowl as an executive as well as a player.

Harlan was a journalism major who worked mainly as a disseminator of team news for various baseball other sports teams and was on the board and named president in GB.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the thing....Murphy has had a rough tumble in green bay. Just exactly how much influence does he have? I think a LOT. Ask yourself if you think his tenure has been good for the club. I'd say a grade of C+ is about where he is. Recent changes he has been a part of appear to be okay. Football guy? Sure. Best judge? Not so much.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Murphy has been charged mostly with getting the Pack to a financial area where they can continue to compete with billionaire owners. He has been magnificent in that area.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Here is the thing....Murphy has had a rough tumble in green bay. Just exactly how much influence does he have? I think a LOT. Ask yourself if you think his tenure has been good for the club. I'd say a grade of C+ is about where he is. Recent changes he has been a part of appear to be okay. Football guy? Sure. Best judge? Not so much.

A C+? Are you grading him soley on the Football end of things, which he really didn't fully get involved with until the last few years.

IMO it really wasn't Murphy who tumbled, it was Ted Thompson. Now if you want to blame Murphy for letting TT drive the car into the ditch, so be it. However, I think TT really had full control of everything football related and Murphy was fully in charge of the business side of the Organization. How much those 2 things mixed, is anybodies guess. Thompson was running the ship when Murphy came in and I doubt Murphy or the executive committee ever really saw the need to step in until recently.

Murphy has been praised for doing an excellent job on the business end of things, including overseeing Titletown District development and Lambeau Field expansion.

So the clock has started on grading Murphy on how he handles both sides of his job, but I think its way too early to grade him fully, especially on the Football Operations side of it.

Members online

Latest posts