Wide Receiver Options

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree it's unrealistic to expect to score a lot of points in weather conditions like that but the Packers having had another receiver capable of putting up numbers like Adams did in the game might have made a huge difference.

I highly doubt that Bourne would be the most talented receiver on the roster. Considering his lack of knowledge of the Packers' system he most likely wouldn't immediately become the team's #1 on the depth chart anyway.
What’s your thoughts on Odell?

Reaction score
I agree it's unrealistic to expect to score a lot of points in weather conditions like that but the Packers having had another receiver capable of putting up numbers like Adams did in the game might have made a huge difference.
Looking back and doing more thinking. That weather really was like giving SF a 3 point handicap.
Jimmy G is not known as a deep pass threat, he’s accurate in medium to short range areas. Imo the weather took away Rodgers deep ball. Id also argue that 9 degrees and windy also stagnated the O altogether because it makes the ball harder to catch and harder to hold onto. Therefore, while in many games I would agree with a WR making a “huge difference” that extreme cold, slick ball would be almost an outlier to to that principle.

And that receiver is Odell I don’t want any excuses they give him what he wants when he is ready to go in November
Pretty funny, but it’s true Odell could be the catalyst that we need. I just doubt he comes here, just my gut feeling. He’s like the Antithesis of the Packers :laugh:
Hey I was thinking. If LV starts like 0-5? should we make a play for Davante before that trade deadline?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if the Packers grabbing a veteran WR wouldn't be sending a message to their younger receivers they have now that they just aren't good enough, and probably never will be?

That's not the message I'd be wanting to send. I'd rather be telling these young guys who are working to learn the system that they can earn time on the field, through hard work.

But that's just me. Everyone to their own.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What Watkins' injury does is shed a little light on the "what do we have" in the WR room a little quicker than we may have otherwise. I could easily see them think we are good, especially when Sammy comes back hopefully...or this time will confirm a veteran addition is something we should consider.

Reaction score
I wonder if the Packers grabbing a veteran WR wouldn't be sending a message to their younger receivers they have now that they just aren't good enough, and probably never will be?

That's not the message I'd be wanting to send. I'd rather be telling these young guys who are working to learn the system that they can earn time on the field, through hard work.

I agree in general. In this case they would likely only sign someone if either of our primary veterans were injured. Watkins, Cobb or Lazard.
As far as sending a message I agree. Yet understand trade deadline is a mile away and this IS the time for Rookies to step up. That time is now and we’re a month into the season so they’ve been in this playbook awhile now. Doubs gets it, will Christian?

D

Deleted member 6794

Integration would take time, certainly. I am referring to the combination of ability/experience. He has more of the former than anyone other than Doubs.

I'm not convinced Bourne is an upgrade over Lazard, a healthy Watkins (whenever that might happen), Doubs or Watson if he ends up performing up to potential.

I've been to a lot of ice cold games with snow, or sleet falling in Green Bay, and I have only seen a couple where QBs and receivers locked up for considerable yardage.

Adams was able to catch nine balls for 90 yards on 11 targets. If the Packers had another receiver capable of making more than one catch in that weather the game might have ended differently.

Not chastising him whatsoever. It was never my intent. If it appears that way, I apologize.

Just pointing out that no matter who you have at WR, in games like that, doesn't really matter too much, because you have to turn to a ground pounding running game, with ball control, and avoid turnovers. It's that old 3-4 yards per carry, and slosh your way down the field. Get what points you can, and be glad you got them. Not only is the passing game a no-show, but usually the kicking game as well. Making extra points is even difficult.

When I played, as a kid in HS, we were going against arguably one of the better teams in the state. We had a losing record, they were unbeaten, and throwing up 50+ points a game against everyone. We were, to them, a "practice" with the JV, so they thought.

It rained for two days, then on game day, the temperature dropped 25 degrees, and was below freezing. We were getting a slushy snow when the game started. At halftime, the score was 0-0, and they had two first downs, and we didn't have any. In the 3rd quarter, our coach decided that myself and another guy would run as a tandem backfield, and pretty much carry every other play. We'd run between the tackles, and nowhere else.

To make a long story short, we won the game 6-0, and I slipped and fell, trying to kick the extra point. We were better mudders than they were. As for our ends and theirs? Nobody caught a pass that day, and very few were thrown, because the ball actually slipped out of both QBs hands when they tried to throw.

Anyhow, I'm talking from experience. It's what it is, playing on a field like Lambeau. The weather can totally change the trajectory of a game, and eliminate your most dangerous weapons.

I always remembered that game, and coached teams in the worst weather, and made them work harder in it, so they knew for themselves what they needed to do to win. And, by the way, I don't remember us ever losing a foul weather game, because we always had that alternate game plan that the players understood.

But, that said, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

That'a nice story but the weather was that bad that Rodgers was able to effectively throw the ball. He was 18-of-21 for 219 yards when targeting Adams and Jones. I'm quite sure another decent weapon would have helped the offense.

What’s your thoughts on Odell?

In my opinion OBJ will re-sign with the Rams once healthy.

Looking back and doing more thinking. That weather really was like giving SF a 3 point handicap.
Jimmy G is not known as a deep pass threat, he’s accurate in medium to short range areas. Imo the weather took away Rodgers deep ball. Id also argue that 9 degrees and windy also stagnated the O altogether because it makes the ball harder to catch and harder to hold onto. Therefore, while in many games I would agree with a WR making a “huge difference” that extreme cold, slick ball would be almost an outlier to to that principle.

As mentioned above, the weather wasn't that bad that another talented wide receiver couldn't have made a positive impact.

I don't think the Packers adding another veteran wide receiver would send the message that the team doesn't believe the youngsters will ever be good enough. Their Super Bowl window is closing fast and if they feel the need to add talent at WR for a run in this year's playoffs they should make a move.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Packers adding another veteran wide receiver would send the message that the team doesn't believe the youngsters will ever be good enough. Their Super Bowl window is closing fast and if they feel the need to add talent at WR for a run in this year's playoffs they should make a move.

------------------------------------------------------------​

I think you're generalizing here. The throws he made to these guys were the "safe throws," that he knew he could make. The Jones passes were pretty much all safety valve passes, nothing else. With the field conditions, he was able to turn in a decent amount of yardage. They were smart calls. You can't just take those numbers and throw them out as if they were proof that weather wasn't the problem. The reality is, smart coaches make smart decisions on who you throw to in that kind of weather. Considering Garo had a 57.1 QB rating in the game, and Rodgers was 91.9, I'd say it's obvious who made the better choices.

Next, Rodgers was sacked 5 times. Our line was blocking anything. That's why our RBs only gained 67 yards for the game. Blocking stunk, because they couldn't get their footing. That is not on the WRs. That's on a failure to block, which also reduces the time before a throw is made. It's pretty simple actually.

Let's continue. The line didn't block and a FG attempt was blocked at the end of the 2nd quarter. Not bad enough, a punt was blocked, and it ended up as a 49ers TD. Our defense didn't allow a score, except, if you want to reach, the FGs by the 49ers.

What I saw was blunders by our offensive line, and what could be considered some dumb decisions by the coaches at times, but I sure as heck don't intend buying into the fact that we lost that game because we had poor receivers. I know better!

Reaction score
As mentioned above, the weather wasn't that bad that another talented wide receiver couldn't have made a positive impact.
Once again. You didn’t say a different WR could have had a “positive” impact in the post of yours I responded to. I would’ve given you an agree or just remained neutral.
You said a different WR on the Packers in that NFC game would’ve had a “huge” impact. Those are completely different meanings, but I noticed that’s becoming commonality in your responses when someone disagrees with your viewpoint.

It’s like you are a moving target which reminds me of an old saying my Dad used to say when we were kids about that, “you can dish it.. but you can’t take it”.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I think you're generalizing here. The throws he made to these guys were the "safe throws," that he knew he could make. The Jones passes were pretty much all safety valve passes, nothing else. With the field conditions, he was able to turn in a decent amount of yardage. They were smart calls. You can't just take those numbers and throw them out as if they were proof that weather wasn't the problem. The reality is, smart coaches make smart decisions on who you throw to in that kind of weather. Considering Garo had a 57.1 QB rating in the game, and Rodgers was 91.9, I'd say it's obvious who made the better choices.

Actually, both Jones and Adams had a higher average depth of target in the playoff game vs. the Niners than on average for the rest of the season. While you're right about Jones making a lot of yards after the catch that's kind of to be expected from a running back. Adams on the other hand had only 21 yards after the catch for an average of 2.33 yards per reception, which tied for his lowest output all season long.

The difference in QB rating is best explained by Rodgers being a much more talented QB than Garropolo.

Next, Rodgers was sacked 5 times. Our line was blocking anything. That's why our RBs only gained 67 yards for the game. Blocking stunk, because they couldn't get their footing. That is not on the WRs. That's on a failure to block, which also reduces the time before a throw is made. It's pretty simple actually.

Let's continue. The line didn't block and a FG attempt was blocked at the end of the 2nd quarter. Not bad enough, a punt was blocked, and it ended up as a 49ers TD. Our defense didn't allow a score, except, if you want to reach, the FGs by the 49ers.

What I saw was blunders by our offensive line, and what could be considered some dumb decisions by the coaches at times, but I sure as heck don't intend buying into the fact that we lost that game because we had poor receivers. I know better!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Packers lost because of a lack of talent at wide receiver behind Adams. But, my point is that another talented pass catcher could have helped slow down the Niners pass rush.

Once again. You didn’t say a different WR could have had a “positive” impact in the post of yours I responded to. I would’ve given you an agree or just remained neutral.
You said a different WR on the Packers in that NFC game would’ve had a “huge” impact. Those are completely different meanings, but I noticed that’s becoming commonality in your responses when someone disagrees with your viewpoint.

It’s like you are a moving target which reminds me of an old saying my Dad used to say when we were kids about that, “you can dish it.. but you can’t take it”.

If you call out someone solely based on semantics you better make sure to get it right. I was saying that a wide receiver who would have made a positive impact (let's say result in another FG, catch a pass for a first down on the team's last possession) could have made a huge difference (winning the game).

As a side note, it's getting pretty ludicrous that you desperately try to find something to call me out on in every single one of my posts.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, both Jones and Adams had a higher average depth of target in the playoff game vs. the Niners than on average for the rest of the season. While you're right about Jones making a lot of yards after the catch that's kind of to be expected from a running back. Adams on the other hand had only 21 yards after the catch for an average of 2.33 yards per reception, which tied for his lowest output all season long.

The difference in QB rating is best explained by Rodgers being a much more talented QB than Garropolo.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Packers lost because of a lack of talent at wide receiver behind Adams. But, my point is that another talented pass catcher could have helped slow down the Niners pass rush.

If you call out someone solely based on semantics you better make sure to get it right. I was saying that a wide receiver who would have made a positive impact (let's say result in another FG, catch a pass for a first down on the team's last possession) could have made a huge difference (winning the game).

As a side note, it's getting pretty ludicrous that you desperately try to find something to call me out on in every single one of my posts.
The line did a much better job in the earlier 49er game in SF than in GB. Maybe that is because of Jenkins. As much as the 9ers appeared to shut us down after the first TD we just plain shot ourselves. Big Dog's fumble. The long pass to Jones before half should have set up a TD if he gets out of bounds and saves us a timeout. A blocked FG and a blocked punt. I think with Lazard, Scantling, and EQ along with Cobb we had enough receiver talent if Rodgers could have found them. The TE position was one position that hurt us that game.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The 49ers fielded a very good and well rounded defense and should be given the credit they're due. No matter who you have personnel wise, it's unrealistic to think you can trample teams like that. They had access to young talent for a number of years that we just didn't have and they took advantage of it and built themselves a terrific defense.

Reaction score

Apparently, I've personally offended you for disagreeing, so I'll just say I agree with you on this point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I think with Lazard, Scantling, and EQ along with Cobb we had enough receiver talent if Rodgers could have found them. The TE position was one position that hurt us that game.

Those guys (MVS was inactive) combined for one reception for six yards against the Niners in the playoffs. They weren't good enough in that game.

The 49ers fielded a very good and well rounded defense and should be given the credit they're due. No matter who you have personnel wise, it's unrealistic to think you can trample teams like that.

It would have been realistic to expect the Packers to score more than 10 points though.

Apparently, I've personally offended you for disagreeing, so I'll just say I agree with you on this point.

I don't get offended by any poster around here. I'm amused by your attempts to discredit me though.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As the captain said, this receiving group wasn't good enough last year. It's even less so now. I strongly advocate trading for a solid veteran no matter what it costs. And not just out of the usually talked about group. Calls to all 31 teams.

D

Deleted member 6794

As the captain said, this receiving group wasn't good enough last year. It's even less so now. I strongly advocate trading for a solid veteran no matter what it costs. And not just out of the usually talked about group. Calls to all 31 teams.

In my opinion the Packers should allow the current wide receiver corps to prove they're good enough until the trade deadline.

Gutekunst should definitely make a move for a WR if he ends up believing the current group won't get the job done. He shouldn't overpay to acquire one though.

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't necessarily think so. With the right front office, the right staff, they should be able to convey the point that it's about the team. I can see where you're coming from, but sometimes, either through injuries or the young guys just not developing as quickly, the team has to try and give them the best chance to win.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those guys (MVS was inactive) combined for one reception for six yards against the Niners in the playoffs. They weren't good enough in that game.

It would have been realistic to expect the Packers to score more than 10 points though.

I don't get offended by any poster around here. I'm amused by your attempts to discredit me though.
The question is were they unable to get open or was the game plan to go to Adams or one of the backs. Or did Rodgers just not trust them.

D

Deleted member 6794

The question is were they unable to get open or was the game plan to go to Adams or one of the backs. Or did Rodgers just not trust them.

It was most likely a combination of the reasons you mentioned.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Getting targets is a skill, it's not something that QBs just "decide" to do. If Rodgers didn't trust them, that's because they haven't shown that they can consistently be where they're supposed to be when they're supposed to be there. The Packers featured one receiver with an amazing ability run routes and get seperation, so of course the QB is going to target the $#@* out of that guy compared to a player who hasn't shown any of those skills.

Regarding the gameplan, I think the gameplan was to target other players but when you're facing a REALLY good defense and your passing offense has two good receiving options (Adams and Jones) then those two are going to be hyper-targeted because a REALLY good defense can shut down mediocre receivers. So, I'm thinking the gameplan was to go to guys that were open and those guys weren't able to get open.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lazard current pacing per game if he doesn't miss another game puts his 2022 season at approximately 928 yards on 64 receptions with 10 or 11 TDs.
Romeo same thing: 782 yards on 80 receptions with 8 or 9 TDs

Honestly, that's a pretty solid pace played out by your "WR1" and WR2"

Cobb projections aren't shabby either: 637 yards on 42 receptions...no TD pace as he has none but I'm sure that he will chip in a couple.

Members online

Latest posts