Wide Receiver Options

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I feel like MLF's scheme and having AR as our QB provides us the luxury of not really having to "need" an elite WR like Davante. I mean NOT to take anything away from Davante and congrats to him, I don't blame him he made the right choice for HIMSELF. I can't blame him.

That addressed, I don't really see a "need" for a Metcalf or even a Cooks honestly.

We really "need" good, quick, SMART WRs who can get CATCH the football and LEARN the scheme. If they can run block, even better. MLF's scheme tends to get WRs open and AR generally finds them; except wen he used to lock into Davante....

I would see it as:

1) Sign Julio Jones AND/OR AJ Green. To be honest, we could potentially afford both. Also, who would have thought that we could have 2 generational talents in Jones and Green to pair with AR? Albeit in their twilight years. But they are SMART, can CATCH, and I believe could pick up the scheme; also decent run blockers

2) Draft a WR in Round 1 or 2.

3) Don't trade unless it makes sense to secure the traded for WR to a long term contract that does NOT kill the team salary cap wise.

WR lineup:
Julio Jones
AJ Green
Lazard
Drafted rookie WR
Cobb
Amari
Winfree/Beggleton/etc

Wouldn't be too bad.
As much as I love AJ Green (he's my favorite non Packer player) and would have taken him any year in the past I'd have to pass at this point. Julio and 2 draft picks (1st and 3rd round maybe 1st and 4th)

I get the idea of two vets and I know I've said before we could probably get two of the remaining top 10 vet WRs but that was without Julio. Get Julio and I'd go with 2 rookies.

Generally speaking my feeling is that this year's WR class is deep enough (and our need is great enough) that I'd prefer to see us hang on to as many of our picks as possible rather than package a couple to move up 5 spots or something. And I think this is aided by there not being a great deal of distinction between the top 5 or so WRs (IMO), as well as some players that will likely still be available late in the 1st and still be a good value at the position and/or WRs who will likely be available when we draft in the 2nd who are also a decent value at that spot.

(I may be repeating myself...can't remember if I said this earlier or just thought it) With the exception of Williams I think we'd likely be able to make it work with any of the other top-5 WRs in the class (Burks, Olave, Wilson, London) and I suspect at least one of them will be available at 22. I doubt he drops so far, but I wouldn't at all mind us double-dipping at the position and taking Williams at 28 as well - get your guy at 22 and you have the ability to then wait for Williams' recovery. And we'd be set for a very long time at WR in that case.

Anyways, in an ideal world I'd like to see our top 4 picks result in two WRs, EDGE, and best available OL/DL. Maybe see if you can land a nice TE like Jelani Woods later on. I guess we'll see!
I'd be willing to let the 2nd WR slide to the third (5th pick) round if it meant the best available OL and DL along with the edge and WR otherwise I think you've hit it.

I also tend to agree that staying put is the way to go in the first round. We have those 5 picks in the first two days and I really like that. If moving a couple of day three picks could gain us a few spots on day 2 to move up and get someone I'd be OK with it but 5 out of the first 100, 92 actually, like I said, I like that.

Reaction score
So I feel like MLF's scheme and having AR as our QB provides us the luxury of not really having to "need" an elite WR like Davante. I mean NOT to take anything away from Davante and congrats to him, I don't blame him he made the right choice for HIMSELF. I can't blame him.

That addressed, I don't really see a "need" for a Metcalf or even a Cooks honestly.

We really "need" good, quick, SMART WRs who can get CATCH the football and LEARN the scheme. If they can run block, even better. MLF's scheme tends to get WRs open and AR generally finds them; except wen he used to lock into Davante....

I would see it as:

1) Sign Julio Jones AND/OR AJ Green. To be honest, we could potentially afford both. Also, who would have thought that we could have 2 generational talents in Jones and Green to pair with AR? Albeit in their twilight years. But they are SMART, can CATCH, and I believe could pick up the scheme; also decent run blockers

2) Draft a WR in Round 1 or 2.

3) Don't trade unless it makes sense to secure the traded for WR to a long term contract that does NOT kill the team salary cap wise.

WR lineup:
Julio Jones
AJ Green
Lazard
Drafted rookie WR
Cobb
Amari
Winfree/Beggleton/etc

Wouldn't be too bad.
I do agree with you in that I also really like MLF's offensive scheme. I think we can win a lot of games with it. Still, I am not sure if you can win a championship on scheme alone. I think you need at least two guys who have some raw talent/athleticism in both the passing and running game (which we do currently have in the running game) to be able to get through those elite defenses and win a championship.

Elite defenses have a way making the play break down and throwing the offense off of their game/disrupting the offense, so you need players who can make a difficult play.

Reaction score
I'm not doom and gloom about losing Adams, but I also don't think the current WR corps is going to get it done (win a Superbowl) either. Even if I do like the idea of an offense that spreads the ball around more, I still think that we need to add 2-3 receivers.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do agree with you in that I also really like MLF's offensive scheme. I think we can win a lot of games with it. Still, I am not sure if you can win a championship on scheme alone. I think you need at least two guys who have some raw talent/athleticism in both the passing and running game (which we do currently have in the running game) to be able to get through those elite defenses and win a championship.

Elite defenses have a way making the play break down and throwing the offense off of their game/disrupting the offense, so you need players who can make a difficult play.
MLFs scheme didn't work to well vs SF did it. Or we need 2 solid receivets and a stud TE + good running game to win in tjd big games that matter.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLFs scheme didn't work to well vs SF did it. Or we need 2 solid receivets and a stud TE + good running game to win in tjd big games that matter.

Oh God, the offense did terrible - Rodgers, receivers, OL anyone connected to the offense sucked that day….you hold a team that low, it is an anomaly for sure and atypical to hold it against a system.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we need a vet if we lose out on MVS. I'm not a big fan of running the offense through the slot so I don't think Landry is the answer. I suspect we draft two WR's within the first two days of the draft, and we'd hope that one breaks out by midseason (if we lose out on MVS). If we retain MVS then I think just one WR early would be my preference. Cuz you know, I will be fielding calls. ;)

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many years did Brady have a Davante Adams in New England when they went to or won the SB? Other than Randy Moss the Patriots have not had what I would consider elite WRs for a long long time. I agree that we need to add talent but Davante Adams is not a requirement.
Yup, you just need the best coach of all time and a perennial top-10 defense! Easy-peasy!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Realistic trade targets i would hope the packers inquire about are Lockett and Cooks. Both can play outside, both would add a much needed speed element to the offense, and both have proven they can absolutely be #1 receivers. Outside of that, use two of the first three picks on receivers and count on a weak division to support the team while the rookies catch on.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, with MLFs offensive scheme I don't think you really "need" a superstar elite WR.

We really just need SMART guys who can run routes, timing, learn the playback, etc. And then CATCH the football. If tbey can run block that is good too

I've been really glad the FO has put so much emphasis into the D this off-season

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like to see us spend draft capital or ascending players in a trade. I have never been a fan of MVS so he can walk IMO.

Get me Landry, Cole (good one for bringing him up Dantes, he has always impressed me but is often forgotten because he played for terrible franchises), and at least 1 first rounder and I think this WR room is not only pretty good, but also affordable.

Landry, Cole, 1st rounder, Lazard, Cobb, Amari would probably cost the same this year as Adams would

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like to see us spend draft capital or ascending players in a trade. I have never been a fan of MVS so he can walk IMO.

Get me Landry, Cole (good one for bringing him up Dantes, he has always impressed me but is often forgotten because he played for terrible franchises), and at least 1 first rounder and I think this WR room is not only pretty good, but also affordable.

Landry, Cole, 1st rounder, Lazard, Cobb, Amari would probably cost the same this year as Adams would

Much of that money has made the signings of Rasul, Tonyan and now Reed possible however. Right now we are looking most likely at one FA WR brought on.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, with MLFs offensive scheme I don't think you really "need" a superstar elite WR.

We really just need SMART guys who can run routes, timing, learn the playback, etc. And then CATCH the football. If tbey can run block that is good too

I've been really glad the FO has put so much emphasis into the D this off-season
I think we need someone that can get deep also. With genuine speed.

coulomb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It maybe an extreme pipe dream at this point, but the chiefs have given tyreek hill permission to seek a trade.

Uhh, yes please.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It maybe an extreme pipe dream at this point, but the chiefs have given tyreek hill permission to seek a trade.

Uhh, yes please.

I'll pass personally solely because any acquisition will be deal related and I'm not paying that frame (albeit incredibly special) long term GIGANTIC money, which he will expect.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to agree. Hill looks enticing but the cost of getting him combined with his salary expectations are not worth it long term.

I rather we take 2 WR in first round then grab the best possible TE in the seconds and that should give us enough offensive firepower hopefully for years to come.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see a trade for Brandin Cooks, sign Julio Jones if the money works, and take 1 or 2 WR's in the draft.

Tyreek Hill would be awesome from a talent standpoint but the acquisition cost will be high, contract will be incredibly high (after an extension), and the dude is not a high quality character. Pass.

Cooks makes too much sense not to happen. He has elite WR skills, is still a burner (according to NextGen Stats), has a reasonable contract, and is playing for a team that has no interest in winning this year. Plus, the Texans are in the AFC so they don't have to worry about strengthening a competitor. I don't know why this hasn't already happened.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to agree. Hill looks enticing but the cost of getting him combined with his salary expectations are not worth it long term.

I rather we take 2 WR in first round then grab the best possible TE in the seconds and that should give us enough offensive firepower hopefully for years to come.

Personally if we go two WRs and a TE with our first four that is a misstep by Gute in my opinion. With the signing of Tonyan and Big Dog back, plus Davis, Dafney and Deguara all showing growth and progress another year in the system I've basically taken TE off of my list of consideration unless Ruckert is still there in the 3rd and even then I would defer to possibly a CB of value, S or of course OL or DL or EDGE depending how we handled things with our first four picks (given we sit still and keep those four).

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we need someone that can get deep also. With genuine speed.

That's subjective I think though... I'm trying to picture how MLF may run the O next year...

We have:
Lazard - smart, good route runner, good blocker, "ok" hands
Cobb - smart, good route runner, clutch, good hands
Amari - not much known

Tonyan - knows the O, can get open, good route runner, good hands
Deguiria - smart, ok route runner, good blocker, "ok" hands

Aaron Jones - smart, good route runner, gets open, great hands
Dillon - smart, good route runner, good hands

I suppose we could spend ONE pick or take a swing on a true "deep threat", but with the way the passing game is set up, you don't necessarily "need" a burner/deep route guy

This is why I was saying in another thread, bc we tend to use Tight Ends and Runningbacks too, it may be wise to just get guys like Julio Jones and AJ Green. Although they are physically past their prime, i'm sure they can learn the playbook, can "get open" and are both good blockers with good hands

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally if we go two WRs and a TE with our first four that is a misstep by Gute in my opinion. With the signing of Tonyan and Big Dog back, plus Davis, Dafney and Deguara all showing growth and progress another year in the system I've basically taken TE off of my list of consideration unless Ruckert is still there in the 3rd and even then I would defer to possibly a CB of value, S or of course OL or DL or EDGE depending how we handled things with our first four picks (given we sit still and keep those four).
I hear you. We do have a lot of promising TEnds but what I want us to have is the next Gronk, Kittle, Andrew's, Kelce.
I don't know maybe I'm wrong but waybi see it a real Star TE creates the biggest match up problems for opposing D#.
All I'm saying is you need to be strong everyware to be Eite, beat the Elite and have a legitimate shot at championship.

We will make playoffs, we can make it to the SB but we still need to be able to stay with the Bills, KC.

Sometimes it's more then just what you should fo bases on algorithms etc.. and more about a gut feeling and since this draft is deep at WR and TE I would grab the best talent possible as we already have very capable D#

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear you. We do have a lot of promising TEnds but what I want us to have is the next Gronk, Kittle, Andrew's, Kelce.
I don't know maybe I'm wrong but waybi see it a real Star TE creates the biggest match up problems for opposing D#.
All I'm saying is you need to be strong everyware to be Eite, beat the Elite and have a legitimate shot at championship.

We will make playoffs, we can make it to the SB but we still need to be able to stay with the Bills, KC.

Sometimes it's more then just what you should fo bases on algorithms etc.. and more about a gut feeling and since this draft is deep at WR and TE I would grab the best talent possible as we already have very capable D#

I'm fine with pursuing Elite everywhere, despite that an absolute impossible thing, but I just fear there for sure are some better choices we'd be ignoring to force a TE pick if we did that...and if you're chasing a Gronk or Kelce type you might as well pencil in a TE for the next five drafts with your one or two before you probably find one.

Even those guys you listed:

Gronk, is the only one drafted "high" in the second and he had a solid rookie year but nothing crazy...then quickly became a threat and elite TE

Kittle, fifth rounder...first year again similar to Gronk solid but nothing elite right out the gate...now is one of the better ones.

Andrews, third rounder...similar first year as the above two, two more solid (similar to Tonyan big year) and then last year massive year.

Kelce, third rounder...didn't play rookie year really. Hit ground running then however then hit it

Those are rarities.