Wide Receiver Options

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woods has a big contract $16M this year I believe. OBJ may not play til Nov, Ju-Ju gone to KC

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is straight up evil. Devious and hateful in every way.
Stop smoking whatever your smoking.
AR is his own man that marches to the beat of his own drummer not a sheep that looks for or follows the proverbial leader to tell him what to do.

Look around the world and see what following sociopathic leaders got us.

Now back to footbawl. Where ware we? O ya round 1 DT, WR in whatever order you get the best player at.

Round 2. WR, S, TE we have 2 second rounders so we should be able to get 2 out of the 3.

Round 3. ST, G, T, TE,

Reaction score
There are many paths to fixing our gap at WR.

The most obvious to follow the path of surrounding Rodgers with his regular stable f/2021. That said, I’ll just note that even though I’m not personally a huge fan of MVS due to notable limitations. The argument for him is strong… continuity.

MVS has been in this system the longest and without Adams he likely gets an increase in snaps. It doesn’t mean we are near set with the departure of our star #1. Yet MVS gives us a viable option to start tomorrow, plus Rodgers knows him

So these are just some examples of our draft firepower. If needed

Trading a #22 snd #53 gets us near #13 overall.l (Likely a first WR off the board)

Trading just our #22 and our 3rd rounder gets us in #18 conversation (#1-#2 best WR)

I like the idea of using a 3rd or 4th rounder in a trade up if needed to land our guy. I’d even consider compromising. Holding our #22 for a DEFENDER Then using our natural #28 and packaging a 3rd rounder (maybe getting a 4-5th in return)
That’s last scenario puts us in solid contention at that #23-#24 range (likely a top #2-3 WR).

Whatever the final scenario. We clearly have the potential of selecting from the best 3 WR out of college if desired. Any of those guys would be pushing for a top depth chart spot early.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The most obvious to follow the path of surrounding Rodgers with his regular stable f/2021. That said, I’ll just note that even though I’m not personally a huge fan of MVS due to notable limitations. The argument for him is strong… continuity.

MVS has been in this system the longest and without Adams he likely gets an increase in snaps. It doesn’t mean we are near set with the departure of our star #1. Yet MVS gives us a viable option to start tomorrow, plus Rodgers knows him

Trading a #22 snd #53 gets us near #13 overall.l (Likely a first WR off the board)

Trading just our #22 and our 3rd rounder gets us in #18 conversation (#1-#2 best WR)

I like the idea of using a 3rd or 4th rounder in a trade up if needed to land our guy. I’d even consider compromising. Holding our #22 for a DEFENDER Then using our natural #28 and packaging a 3rd rounder (maybe getting a 4-5th in return)
That’s last scenario puts us in solid contention at that #23-#24 range (likely a top #2-3 WR).

Whatever the final scenario. We clearly have the potential of selecting from the best 3 WR out of college if desired. Any of those guys would be pushing for a top depth chart spot early.

So I’m betting what Gute is doing or what I would be doing as well is I’m probably trying to narrow down that top 5 or so WRs (London, Olave, Wilson, Burks, Williams) to what two I absolutely feel are best for my team, MLF system and my QB in GB. Then I’m also making a clear 3rd favorite, basically this is the guy we at minimum refuse to leave the first round without adding if we can make it happen.

From there I’m having some preliminary discussions with teams ahead of me saying look, I got a guy on my radar that should he still be there and I want to move up to your spot this is the package we are prepared to give. Put the bug in a couple other teams and be ready to push the button on those or increase them even if a run happens quicker than you want on WRs.

I will say Jahan Dotson is a guy that is growing on me the more I watch the more I like how he could be used here…just unsure like a few others of how strong he can hit the ground running

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I’m betting what Gute is doing or what I would be doing as well is I’m probably trying to narrow down that top 5 or so WRs (London, Olave, Wilson, Burks, Williams) to what two I absolutely feel are best for my team, MLF system and my QB in GB. Then I’m also making a clear 3rd favorite, basically this is the guy we at minimum refuse to leave the first round without adding if we can make it happen.

From there I’m having some preliminary discussions with teams ahead of me saying look, I got a guy on my radar that should he still be there and I want to move up to your spot this is the package we are prepared to give. Put the bug in a couple other teams and be ready to push the button on those or increase them even if a run happens quicker than you want on WRs.

I will say Jahan Dotson is a guy that is growing on me the more I watch the more I like how he could be used here…just unsure like a few others of how strong he can hit the ground running
My thought is anyone but him, we don’t need another slot guy. I don’t believe his size is going to allow him to play outside. I admit I could be entirely wrong as it is just my gut feeling

Reaction score
My thought is anyone but him, we don’t need another slot guy. I don’t believe his size is going to allow him to play outside. I admit I could be entirely wrong as it is just my gut feeling
I kinda agree there. I would however consider a contingency plan at SWR because we also know Cobb is oft injured and this is possibly his last season (imo Cobb will have to show a formidable stat line to keep him past this season). Obviously we could wait to get that Slot option with one of six current Day 3 selections though.

Right now we need a guy talented to do it all. Ideally someone who can win a week 1 starting role with pure athleticism if nothing else.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wouldn't object to any of these draft scenarios. I'd prefer not to use both LV picks to move up to 13 but if a guy is head and shoulders above the rest I'd be OK with it. Using 22 and 3rd or better yet 28 and a 3rd to get a top 2-3 I'd be happy with that. The problem is we still don't have a bona fide #1 unless the rookie develops quickly which can happen. The FA market is drying up for top level #1 WR talent. There are a few guys who might be considered low end #1s but if we went that route I'd like to see another FA to solidify the #2 spot. The rookie is the wild card and may come in anywhere from 1-4.

In a perfect world, that world being one where the guy is both healthy and reasonably priced I'd say I'd love to see Julio Jones. If we could get him I'd be satisfied with just the 1 FA a top draft pick and maybe even a late round pick or step down level FA.

Reaction score
I wouldn't object to any of these draft scenarios. I'd prefer not to use both LV picks to move up to 13 but if a guy is head and shoulders above the rest I'd be OK with it. Using 22 and 3rd or better yet 28 and a 3rd to get a top 2-3 I'd be happy with that. The problem is we still don't have a bona fide #1 unless the rookie develops quickly which can happen. The FA market is drying up for top level #1 WR talent. There are a few guys who might be considered low end #1s but if we went that route I'd like to see another FA to solidify the #2 spot. The rookie is the wild card and may come in anywhere from 1-4.

In a perfect world, that world being one where the guy is both healthy and reasonably priced I'd say I'd love to see Julio Jones. If we could get him I'd be satisfied with just the 1 FA a top draft pick and maybe even a late round pick or step down level FA.
So many scenarios it’s hard to tell. These are all preliminary as obviously the puzzle will come together more clearly with each move.

I’m pretty sure Gutey is turning over rocks right now to explore possible avenues. If he’s thinking like myself? (which is scary :eek:). Gutey probably prefers to make a deal ideally landing a WR in that #1 role in some capacity. That takes time to contact teams and make offers, but having draft firepower to use in trade makes it much more plausible to get potential trade partner sniffing.

If I’m Gutey, I’m likely not wanting to use a Day 1 selection to trade for a veteran option unless it’s a perfect fit. I’m guessing he wants BOTH a low end #1 to high end #2 Veteran option…
PLUS go after a Day 1 Wideout in the draft to back it up

My dilemma is that MVS isn’t really either option so…. He’s just a safety net is all and really more of a pacifier. So why not put those resources offered to MVS, plus add to it and look towards an upgrade etc..
What we don’t know is it could be a thin market. Also MVS could be pulling a Davante Adams and putting the screws to us! ;)

Last edited:

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling Gute is gonna have to hit it big on a WR or 2 in this upcoming draft. The FA WR pool is drying up kinda quick. I suppose we could bring MVS back. He is okay and has good speed but you have to wonder why he hasn't been signed by anyone so far. Unless we find a couple of guys to fill Adams' huge cleats this spring losing him to LV may hurt us more than a lot of us want to admit. :unsure:

Reaction score
I have a feeling Gute is gonna have to hit it big on a WR or 2 in this upcoming draft. The FA WR pool is drying up kinda quick. I suppose we could bring MVS back. He is okay and has good speed but you have to wonder why he hasn't been signed by anyone so far. Unless we find a couple of guys to fill Adams' huge cleats this spring losing him to LV may hurt us more than a lot of us want to admit. :unsure:
Maybe. Maybe not.
I think Adams giving us the $28m middle finger pretty much put us where we are at. Thats $21m +Rasul + 2 extra early draft picks all combined?
As long as we have a committed #12 and the equivalent of $21m per year going forward and Rasul through the contract guaranteed part we would’ve eaten, we’ll be just fine

I’d rather have the flexibility to spread resources to fill needs.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe. Maybe not.
I think Adams giving us the $28m middle finger pretty much put us where we are at. Thats $21m +Rasul + 2 extra early draft picks all combined?
As long as we have a committed #12 and the equivalent of $21m per year going forward and Rasul through the contract guaranteed part we would’ve eaten, we’ll be just fine

I’d rather have the flexibility to spread resources to fill needs.
Thats a good point on our return for Adams. I was happy with the draft picks but when you consider what else we can do by not having to pay him its that much better.

D

Deleted member 6794

If we could get Brandon Cooks and MVS and stay under the 19.4 net from Davante’s departure? I’d be ecstatic. That would take some stress off overreach at WR. We could be patient and grab another one without using our first couple selections. WR Alex Pierce from Cincinnati is one example that could be found in the 3rd round

That opens draft door possibilities and also solidifies our weakness into a relative strength again.

I want to use this post as an example for a lot of fans who seem to completely underestimate how much losing Adams will hurt the Packers' chances of winning a Super Bowl next season. And don't fool yourself, the Packers went all-in to win another Lombardi this offseason until trading Davante last week.

When taking a look at the roster of some other teams being considered legit contenders (Rams, Bengals, Chiefs etc.) there's no way to consider the Packers' receiving corps a relative strength even if they end up bringing in a player like Cook and re-signing MVS.

Gutekunst needs to add a lot of talent at the position for it to be at least good enough to make it work. He's lucky though as most Packers fans will blame Rodgers if the offense can't score on every drive while mostly featuring JAGs as pass catchers.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to use this post as an example for a lot of fans who seem to completely underestimate how much losing Adams will hurt the Packers' chances of winning a Super Bowl next season. And don't fool yourself, the Packers went all-in to win another Lombardi this offseason until trading Davante last week.

When taking a look at the roster of some other teams being considered legit contenders (Rams, Bengals, Chiefs etc.) there's no way to consider the Packers' receiving corps a relative strength even if they end up bringing in a player like Cook and re-signing MVS.

Gutekunst needs to add a lot of talent at the position for it to be at least good enough to make it work. He's lucky though as most Packers fans will blame Rodgers if the offense can't score on every drive while mostly featuring JAGs as pass catchers.
The object is to score points, use clock, and have a good D. With being able to get more quality players and depth, we just might be able to do very well. With our running game intact; the passing game will be more open. Yeah, yeah...who will we throw it to? I'm feeling good that there will be options there for us. The O line cannot be there only for Rodgers. We need very good run blocking as well. Now we have some dough to get all that done. A lot of important decisions to be made. I like that better than not having the opportunity to make decisions.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we don’t add a FA before the 2022 season and rely solely on what we have and any draft picks selected….I don’t feel great about our chances of being deadly in the passing game.

However, if you told me to pick ANY QB to face this challenge with that scenario - Aaron Rodgers is the sole QB I’ve ever watched a game of that I’d want.

*Do not confuse this with supporting that logic, I just think some forget just how freaking good Rodgers is.

Reaction score

This post is a “sky is falling” opinion. We are not lying down and all pouting! that’s reserved for those that have no hope!

Captain. You! are about to witness that this is a TEAM sport. Winning is also HIGHLY dictated by the team and a highly predicated by a GROUP dedicated approach (including staff) than it is any 1 player. If we EVER get any 1 player that pretends like they are above all others??? Run hard. Run fast. Run far! I’ll put our staff and team (and fans!) over 1 Davante Adams any day of the week and twice on Sunday !
You have grossly underestimated the Packers as a whole corporate body.

We were looking for Andre Rison when we found a WR and we will be looking again.

We were looking for our Hutson, Dowler, Lofton, Freeman, McGee, Cobb, Brooks, Coffman, Bubba, Chmura, Jennings, Driver, JJ, Sharpe,.. and we will again.

No player loss is our ultimate demise. It might be our inspiration though.
Lets just be Bubba “Frank” here.
We didn’t even know who Davante Adams was before 2014.

To be continued…

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How many years did Brady have a Davante Adams in New England when they went to or won the SB? Other than Randy Moss the Patriots have not had what I would consider elite WRs for a long long time. I agree that we need to add talent but Davante Adams is not a requirement.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I feel like MLF's scheme and having AR as our QB provides us the luxury of not really having to "need" an elite WR like Davante. I mean NOT to take anything away from Davante and congrats to him, I don't blame him he made the right choice for HIMSELF. I can't blame him.

That addressed, I don't really see a "need" for a Metcalf or even a Cooks honestly.

We really "need" good, quick, SMART WRs who can get CATCH the football and LEARN the scheme. If they can run block, even better. MLF's scheme tends to get WRs open and AR generally finds them; except wen he used to lock into Davante....

I would see it as:

1) Sign Julio Jones AND/OR AJ Green. To be honest, we could potentially afford both. Also, who would have thought that we could have 2 generational talents in Jones and Green to pair with AR? Albeit in their twilight years. But they are SMART, can CATCH, and I believe could pick up the scheme; also decent run blockers

2) Draft a WR in Round 1 or 2.

3) Don't trade unless it makes sense to secure the traded for WR to a long term contract that does NOT kill the team salary cap wise.

WR lineup:
Julio Jones
AJ Green
Lazard
Drafted rookie WR
Cobb
Amari
Winfree/Beggleton/etc

Wouldn't be too bad.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I feel like MLF's scheme and having AR as our QB provides us the luxury of not really having to "need" an elite WR like Davante. I mean NOT to take anything away from Davante and congrats to him, I don't blame him he made the right choice for HIMSELF. I can't blame him.

That addressed, I don't really see a "need" for a Metcalf or even a Cooks honestly.

We really "need" good, quick, SMART WRs who can get CATCH the football and LEARN the scheme. If they can run block, even better. MLF's scheme tends to get WRs open and AR generally finds them; except wen he used to lock into Davante....

I would see it as:

1) Sign Julio Jones AND/OR AJ Green. To be honest, we could potentially afford both. Also, who would have thought that we could have 2 generational talents in Jones and Green to pair with AR? Albeit in their twilight years. But they are SMART, can CATCH, and I believe could pick up the scheme; also decent run blockers

2) Draft a WR in Round 1 or 2.

3) Don't trade unless it makes sense to secure the traded for WR to a long term contract that does NOT kill the team salary cap wise.

WR lineup:
Julio Jones
AJ Green
Lazard
Drafted rookie WR
Cobb
Amari
Winfree/Beggleton/etc

Wouldn't be too bad.

I mean this in the nicest way but Begelton? Stay up to date with the roster, makes discussions better....and if you ever need to check there is a thread that exists with a semi-live version of it: https://www.packerforum.com/threads/actual-signed-roster-for-2022-post-2021-semi-live-updates.84511/

As for the posed questions I would HIGHLY disagree with an approach of signing two veterans like Julio and AJ - one or the other makes sense, but both is just not something that is needed or IMO should be done - redundant.

The WR class is deep this year with talent and especially a few Day 2/3 burner types to compliment an early all around most likely pick as well. I suspect we are looking at a FA acquisition and two draft picks before the end of Round 5 closes with one being top 50 pick or so either with a first of ours or in some trading shuffling top of 2nd.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
We didn’t even know who Davante Adams was before 2014.

It also took him until the 2017 season to break out and start playing at a mostly high level. Drops were also an issue for a few more years after that. Most teams will carry 6 WRs and that alone should tell you that a WR should be taken almost every year plus a few signed as undrafted FAs just to keep with attrition. The Packers have not been very proactive in acquiring WR talent. The blame for lack of current WR talent falls squarely on the shoulders of Gutekunst and his predecessor Ted Thompson. Although to be fair, the best WR on the roster is probably Cobb and he was drafted by Thompson.

Last edited:

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It is definitely possible to win a SB without a great WR corps. Look at the Patriots in 2018, the Eagles in 2017, the Seahawks in 2013, the Ravens in 2012.

Reaction score
How many years did Brady have a Davante Adams in New England when they went to or won the SB? Other than Randy Moss the Patriots have not had what I would consider elite WRs for a long long time. I agree that we need to add talent but Davante Adams is not a requirement.
It’s all an overreaction. Colin Cowherd is has now labeled the GBP as “no longer SB contenders”.

What Colin isn’t smart enough to understand is that the Packers have zero intentions of going into week 1 with this group + 1 Draft selection (that was his assertion). He also said specifically that no one on the Green Bay Packers was capable of anything beyond a 4th WR on any other playoff contender (that part ain’t far off). :roflmao:

I predict GB will have 2-3 Wideouts added to todays current Stable before Regular season. Those will likely include an established NFL veteran and a top 5 ranked college WR.

Talk about a premature emotional overreaction (not directed at you Sschind) You’d think an asteroid is on collision course with planet Earth!
We might as well just hang up our cleats and go home and quit. Cancel your NFL packages everyone Davante ran away like a crybaby!.
I actually have a 3yr old (I’m a very late bloomer) that takes adversity in stride better.

Last edited:

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Generally speaking my feeling is that this year's WR class is deep enough (and our need is great enough) that I'd prefer to see us hang on to as many of our picks as possible rather than package a couple to move up 5 spots or something. And I think this is aided by there not being a great deal of distinction between the top 5 or so WRs (IMO), as well as some players that will likely still be available late in the 1st and still be a good value at the position and/or WRs who will likely be available when we draft in the 2nd who are also a decent value at that spot.

(I may be repeating myself...can't remember if I said this earlier or just thought it) With the exception of Williams I think we'd likely be able to make it work with any of the other top-5 WRs in the class (Burks, Olave, Wilson, London) and I suspect at least one of them will be available at 22. I doubt he drops so far, but I wouldn't at all mind us double-dipping at the position and taking Williams at 28 as well - get your guy at 22 and you have the ability to then wait for Williams' recovery. And we'd be set for a very long time at WR in that case.

Anyways, in an ideal world I'd like to see our top 4 picks result in two WRs, EDGE, and best available OL/DL. Maybe see if you can land a nice TE like Jelani Woods later on. I guess we'll see!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts