Who should be the New DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleC4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I came back here to see if everyone wants Capers fired as bad as I do. Please please fire him. I want to have hope in this defense, cant have that with him calling the plays.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then neither is this team.
I'm sure the Packers, just like all other teams, do an evaluation on their past season.
I will be shocked if they point any fingers at any of the three stooges, MM, TT, DC, and make any changes from any of them.
They will keep them.
Maybe the team should change their name to The Green Bay Shampoo.
Cause all they do is rinse and repeat.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely don't want the Packers to promote one of their defensive coaches.

Yeah, they can't afford to waste anymore years with someone unproven. Must be someone proven. The Rodgers window is closing fast.

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I want Fangio....attacking 3-4 style would fit perfectly. Black Monday I would send Capers out to pasture and the moment that whole Chicago staff is let go, I'd name Fangio new DC.

D

Deleted member 6794

I like Romeo Crennel, Rex Ryan or Todd Bowles if he's dismissed from the Jets. But as stated before. It cannot be from within. It would be the same **** show

Monti Kiffin, Marvin Lewis

I definitely don't want the team to hire Ryan or Kiffin.

Isn’t his contract up after the season?

I don't know but would expect him to either re-sign with the Vikings or apply for a head coaching position but don't see him having any interest in coming to Green Bay.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Anyone from the Jacksonville Jaguars defensive staff is worth a look....anyone from their staff!!! If you could pry the DC Todd Wash from the team for the right price, get him. I would also definitely take a look @ Perry Fewell, the Jaguars secondary coach. I checked out his bio and this guy is a difference maker!!! Everywhere he's been, the results have been both positive and consistent. He has head coaching experience and contributed to the Giants Super Bowl run/win in 2011. Respect from his peers and is a coaching stalwart of Tom Coughlin.

2) Another choice could be Giants interim head coach Steve Spagnulo. He is a Super Bowl winning defensive coordinator and has head coaching experience. No way he survives the purge of the 2018 NY Giants off-season.

Bottom line...Packers need new blood coaching the defensive. We need a guy with experience, leadership, and willing to coach/develop. Most importantly, we need a coach that has been through the fire (head coach), learned lessons, and returned to what they do best...coordinate.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Sounds like a **** star name lol

Maybe a **** star DC IS what this defense needs. Capers has spent enough time with his pants around his ankles bent over, put a guy in there that knows how to do that to opposing offenses!

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I came back here to see if everyone wants Capers fired as bad as I do. Please please fire him. I want to have hope in this defense, cant have that with him calling the plays.
I want DC fired. Please fire him! He's a terrible defensive coordinator! An idiot could see he is really bad, we need to start looking elsewhere. If MM wants to keep him, like he stuck with BH, then he may need to go. He did want to stick with a QB who had 0 TD's at home. Hopefully he wises up and fires Capers.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I was TT, I would require MM to fire Capers. If he doesn't I would fire him and start looking for a new HC. But, I would let Elliot Wolf make the call as TT will be retiring in the few years.

If MM does fire Dom, I would give him a 3 year extension. No DC is going to take a job from a lame duck HC.

Then i interview the followimg;

Mike Nolan
Perry Fewell
Spagnola

Honestley couldn't say which is the best, but this list has some very highly regarded and successful defensive minds on it. I think each one is a significant upgrade and would improve our team immensely. Interview to figure out which one will fit our talent best. Suspect that is Nolan.

Last edited:

Darrin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is my dilemma. GB won a SB w/ Capers . For whatever reason, that success cannot be repeated. Did the game just pass Capers by? Did Thompson's personnel moves doom the defense? I cannot answer either of those questions. But the blunt fact remains that Capers was successful. I'm leaning towards blaming Thompson before I'd blame Capers.

HD3924

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm disappointed, shouldn't all these great comments be rolled into the Fire Capres thead? I mean how are we going to reach 9 million pages by 2025 if we don't stay on task?

"Fire Capers" for all the reasons he should be fired. This Thread here handles the question who after his missile to the moon has taken off.

Packers should look for a DC with a 4:3-System. All Teams, Packers too, who switched to 3:4, were copying Patriots and Steelers and it has not paid off. What about Marinelli ? A younger one, with may be the old Monte Kiffin as part time advisor ?

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is my dilemma. GB won a SB w/ Capers . For whatever reason, that success cannot be repeated. Did the game just pass Capers by? Did Thompson's personnel moves doom the defense? I cannot answer either of those questions. But the blunt fact remains that Capers was successful. I'm leaning towards blaming Thompson before I'd blame Capers.
Capers was successful early on because he brought a new scheme to Green Bay that played to each individual players' strengths. He hasn't changed a darn thing since then and assumes any player at their position can play his original scheme. His playbook has also become more simplified (according to Packers players and coaches) and his playcalling more predictable (according to players and analysts). The game has passed him by and he is either too stubborn or too egotistical to make necessary changes.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, but only because I love what he is doing with the Badgers. Otherwise I would be fine. Just don't want to lose him yet.

I disagreed, not because I think it is not a good choice, but for my love of the Badgers.

This dude might be the best choice, who cares about the Badgers that's college we're talking about the NFL. He runs a 3-4 at Wisconsin I believe and he played for a couple of the best during his NFL career, Baltimore and nyj I believe

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can use the same logic on Thompson. He built a very successful defense that won a Superbowl.

Too me it's an obvious answer. The track record shows throughout his career, Capers does very well for 2 years and then steadily declines. Whatever the reason, there are many theories. My theory is that when he take over he teaches the basics from the ground up. As time goes on, he builds on that knowing the veterans already are e grained the basics. The rookies are never schooled to the same degree on the basics.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This dude might be the best choice, who cares about the Badgers that's college we're talking about the NFL. He runs a 3-4 at Wisconsin I believe and he played for a couple of the best during his NFL career, Baltimore and nyj I believe

Blasmephy!

My love of the Badgers aside, while Jim Leonhard could turn into a very good DC in the NFL, I would question whether he is ready. He only has one year as a DC at the college level under his belt. While he did a great job for the Badgers this year, he also inherited a very good defense to coach.

I would also be shocked if Leonhard would be willing to leave Wisconsin this early in his coaching career, where his future is stable and bright, to go "all in" by taking a job as an NFL DC.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You can use the same logic on Thompson. He built a very successful defense that won a Superbowl.

Too me it's an obvious answer. The track record shows throughout his career, Capers does very well for 2 years and then steadily declines. Whatever the reason, there are many theories. My theory is that when he take over he teaches the basics from the ground up. As time goes on, he builds on that knowing the veterans already are e grained the basics. The rookies are never schooled to the same degree on the basics.

I would add to that, I don't think he commands respect from his players, that they give their 100% all the time. I could be completely wrong with that. But if you look at the problems with Capers defense, they tend to revolve around breakdowns by individual players on a given play or just an individual player not playing up to their perceived abilities.

Basically, it boils down to Capers and his team of coaches not being able to fully utilize or extract the skills of the players that they are given. Whether this is because of overly complicated schemes or just poor coaching, it isn't working.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't think anyone questions that there are multiple reasons. Certainly, give Capers better players and he probably turns out a better D, although look at the perceived quality of the OLine players (i.e., how built) and their level of success under Campen. Yes, he was successful, once, but was that a blind squirrel situation? What makes it easier for me is that he's in charge of the D, his job is to make it the best is can be, that clearly hasn't happened, and so the guy who has been charged with that responsibility goes. Generals, CEOs, other folks at the top are let go when their production doesn't measure up.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone questions that there are multiple reasons. Certainly, give Capers better players and he probably turns out a better D, although look at the perceived quality of the OLine players (i.e., how built) and their level of success under Campen. Yes, he was successful, once, but was that a blind squirrel situation? What makes it easier for me is that he's in charge of the D, his job is to make it the best is can be, that clearly hasn't happened, and so the guy who has been charged with that responsibility goes. Generals, CEOs, other folks at the top are let go when their production doesn't measure up.
I agree that ultimately TT is responsible.

I entirely disagree that getting Capers better players will improve the defense. If you had all HOFers in the secondary, they will get shredded if they are not playing as a team. Their talent may overcome some issues, but not all. In today's highly competitive NFL, any slight weakness can be exploited.

As far as Campen goes, i think he has developed his coaching skills. Believe it or not, he is the emotional coaching leader of the offense. Although calm on the field he is yelling and screaming (90% obscenities) in the lockerroom. You can believe that TT and 15 scouts with a combined 500 years of experience have finally figurted out how to evaluate OL, or that a green coach refined his teaching techniques over the last few years. Believe me, I was the biggest critic of Campen, but he has become a very good coach. We did some plug and play this season and he had the young pups playing well.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers was successful early on because he brought a new scheme to Green Bay that played to each individual players' strengths. He hasn't changed a darn thing since then and assumes any player at their position can play his original scheme. His playbook has also become more simplified (according to Packers players and coaches) and his playcalling more predictable (according to players and analysts). The game has passed him by and he is either too stubborn or too egotistical to make necessary changes.
I agree, but I also blame TT for not drafting safety linebacker hybrid like Myles Jack, Ryan Shaizer, Deion Jones, Derron Lee etc.
We need these type of players to cover and match up to offenses in this modern day.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree that ultimately TT is responsible.

I entirely disagree that getting Capers better players will improve the defense. If you had all HOFers in the secondary, they will get shredded if they are not playing as a team. Their talent may overcome some issues, but not all. In today's highly competitive NFL, any slight weakness can be exploited.

As far as Campen goes, i think he has developed his coaching skills. Believe it or not, he is the emotional coaching leader of the offense. Although calm on the field he is yelling and screaming (90% obscenities) in the lockerroom. You can believe that TT and 15 scouts with a combined 500 years of experience have finally figurted out how to evaluate OL, or that a green coach refined his teaching techniques over the last few years. Believe me, I was the biggest critic of Campen, but he has become a very good coach. We did some plug and play this season and he had the young pups playing well.

Couldn't agree more. Packers have spent the last 6 drafts focused heavily on the defense and this year TT actually even went out and signed some FA defensive players. What has Capers done with all these guys? Pretty much nothing. TT and the scouts can't be THAT off with all those players.

Than you look at what Campen has done with some 4th rounders (Sitton, Lang, Bahk, Tretter), a 5th rounder (Linsley) a 6h rounder (Murphy) and free agents Lane Taylor and Justin McCray. Besides Bulaga, the Packers have been better off giving Campen mid to late rounders to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.