• John Schneider

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope TT lasts another 10 years but that last press conference I thought the last year took a toll on TT's health.

But really, what does anyone really know about Elliot Wolf? Just because his dad was nearly as good of a GM as TT does not qualify him. He may be capable he may not be, and not a poster here really has a clue.

Remember when Holmgren left Seattle and there was a popular push to crown him as GM? Despite his lack of experience and deficiencies in Seattle? He got a similar job in Cleveland and in two short years put the franchise back 4 years. Didn't know that was even possible. He realized his limitations and resigned with his tail between his legs. My point being, this isnt a time for nostalgia, but a time for practical and careful thought. After TT, Schneider may be the next best GM in football.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only reason I think Wolf offers more than just his fathers name is the current brain trust is bringing him up in a seemingly thoughtful and projected way. It's not to say they are always "right", just look at last years offensive downturn by promoting from within ( though I think it was a host of other things including too many cogs and change in approach rather than the cogs themselves not being good at their jobs), but I mostly think they see something in him and that's why they're investing this time and progression with him.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No matter who it is I guarantee that people will complain they either aren't doing enough or are mortgagingthe future when it comes to their ability to field a championship team.

Book it

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No matter who it is I guarantee that people will complain they either aren't doing enough or are mortgagingthe future when it comes to their ability to field a championship team.

Book it

So you are saying someone already has the "Fire Wolf" banner made already? And I thought the "Impeach Trump" sign I saw the other day was a bit premature. :D

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wolf should get hired based on the current brasses favor of him. They see him everyday and know him well enough to make the call. If it goes badly we can approach Schneider with his dream job.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I think that this conversation is too premature as we don't even know if these two main choices will be available when and if Thompson retires.

That said, Wolf has been groomed for this role. He has grown up in the NFL and has as much executive experience, or more, than many of the other candidates. As for the Holmgren example, he didn't have any head office experience before getting that role. He was a coach. To extrapolate to Elliot Wolf, I would be deeply concerned if his name were considered to replace Mike McCarthy as coach but not Ted Thompson as GM.

Age is a number. It can give you the opportunity to be more wise and savvy but does not guarantee it. Schneider has some oopsie's in his resume as well. Wolf will hit some bumps but seems to have what it will take to be a good GM.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would seem Wolf is being groomed for the position, but I'd be very happy to get Scheider.
Wolf will probably be a very good GM, but really, what do we know about him? Will he be like his dad? Like TT? Something else entirely?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thompson (born January 17, 1953) is the current... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Thompson
Sixty-three is a ways from seventy.

Sorry, I had a site tell me he was 66. He certainly LOOKS 60ish too.....

Hope TT lasts another 10 years but that last press conference I thought the last year took a toll on TT's health.

But really, what does anyone really know about Elliot Wolf? Just because his dad was nearly as good of a GM as TT does not qualify him. He may be capable he may not be, and not a poster here really has a clue.

Agreed, better to go with the sure deal. Schneider just put Seattle back into the driver's seat for the next 4 years after this Draft, we're scratching our heads.

H

HardRightEdge

I'll preface my comments by saying the chances of Wolf being the next GM are somewhere between 95 - 99%, so I'm not sure why I'm even commenting. Perhaps because it might not be such a great idea?.

If Thompson happened to depart by some odd circumstance, Schneider would be the obvious choice. He might not mind getting away from Carroll to a place where he'd do less sharing of authority.

After that, I would not mind having Doug Whaley come in. He probably wouldn't mind getting away from Rex Ryan, an ownership that knows nothing about football, and what may turn out to be no quarterback...once again.

He drafts well, moves the chess pieces well in trades, has not been afraid to make the occasional foray into free agency with pretty good results, and is not afraid to make unpopular decisions such as letting Fred Jackson go.

He's worked under the handicap of trying to build a winner without a decent QB. Now he has Ryan and Pegula as handicaps. Try working around that set of handicaps some time. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

He's looked like death warmed over for years, who can say?

I seriously doubt he'll outlast Rodgers, who has maybe 7 good years left, assuming he does not pull a Calvin Johnson.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, I had a site tell me he was 66. He certainly LOOKS 60ish too.....

Agreed, better to go with the sure deal. Schneider just put Seattle back into the driver's seat for the next 4 years after this Draft, we're scratching our heads.

Are you able to determine Seattle's draft is that good and our isn't so quickly?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you able to determine Seattle's draft is that good and our isn't so quickly?

When I look at Seattle's Draft compared to ours I see solid picks across the board and with good timing as well. It's somewhat hard to say on any of Schneider's picks that unless he traded, he could have came out better than the prospects he got. Also, Scheneider has built a much more solid team over the years than TT so his needs were well defined. Not to mention Schneider is a fan's GM; so when you see all his picks, they have a "sexiness" to them, when you look at who he came away with fans get excited. When TT drafts we all scratch our heads; then have to go to a couple film sessions and hype ourselves up about our team this year.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
When I look at Seattle's Draft compared to ours I see solid picks across the board and with good timing as well. It's somewhat hard to say on any of Schneider's picks that unless he traded, he could have came out better than the prospects he got. Also, Scheneider has built a much more solid team over the years than TT so his needs were well defined. Not to mention Schneider is a fan's GM; so when you see all his picks, they have a "sexiness" to them, when you look at who he came away with fans get excited. When TT drafts we all scratch our heads; then have to go to a couple film sessions and hype ourselves up about our team this year.

Are you talking about this years draft, that hasn't played a down yet? Or comparing Schneider's previous drafts with TT's? Because there is no doubt, he has had some good past draft picks and just like TT and the rest of the league, some not so good picks.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=4600&type=team

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Schneider just put Seattle back into the driver's seat for the next 4 years after this Draft, we're scratching our heads.

According to this Washington Post article the Packers added more value than the Seahawks in this year´s draft and Seattle had one of the worst draft classes in added value above expected.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ve-teams-that-added-the-most-and-least-value/

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why on Earth would Schneider leave Seattle, he has a Super Bowl winner and he's located smack dab in a world class city. Eliot Wolf has the stronger organization ties and again he's being groomed for the job.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Why on Earth would Schneider leave Seattle?
Maybe because he has to share responsibility with Carroll. The "we pick 'em, you coach 'em" doesn't apply there. While that line may be blurred at times in Green Bay, there's little question McCarthy reports to Thompson. That's not the case in Seattle. And maybe he'd rather not work so closely with a crazy man. ;) Would you want to work with that guy?

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I picked Shnieder. I know he may be a bit too aggressive at times with the trades, but I like him, I think he does a great job. He has built an incredibly good team in Seattle without a true elite qb (though Wilson is a very good qb). I'd love to see his more aggressive style in Green Bay.

Wolf is a complete unknown to me. I worry about nepotism being a reason for his fast rise. That said, it seems like he will be the next GM. I hope Murphy knows what he's doing.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those that love to hate on GMs, if we get Wolf they will say 'We should have gotten someone more established in Schneider'. We get Schneider they will say 'We should have hired Wolf because as good as he drafted, he wasted Seattle's great D and only won one Super Bowl'. I think the writing on the wall is for Wolf.
I would say Seattle is still very good. Still a top team in NFC.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What the fans think of a GM and the "sexiness" of a pick should not go into deciding how good a draft or a GM is.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wolf has years ahead

Remember when Holmgren left Seattle and there was a popular push to crown him as GM? Despite his lack of experience and deficiencies in Seattle? He got a similar job in Cleveland and in two short years put the franchise back 4 years. Didn't know that was even possible. He realized his limitations and resigned with his tail between his legs. My point being, this isnt a time for nostalgia, but a time for practical and careful thought. After TT, Schneider may be the next best GM in football.
i think Wolfs dad and Thompson will still be a call away. thats why wolf is the best pick. Maybe a puppet now. And a proxy for 10 years after thompson officially retires. But he has the backing of the Packers brain trust. He will be a great GM some day.... imo

Members online

Latest posts