Where do you think we'll finish next season? (Post-Draft edits...)

Reaction score
I don't care if they go 17-0 next season. This team isn't tricking me into thinking we will make it to the super bowl next year. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times.... Not gonna be fooled a third time.

Reaction score
I don't care if they go 17-0 next season. This team isn't tricking me into thinking we will make it to the super bowl next year. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times.... Not gonna be fooled a third time.
Shame on all of us! :x3:

I feel your pain and I
2nd your shame !

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You need to consider that MVS is ranked sixth in receiving yards and touchdowns among all receivers drafted in 2018 as well as that Gutekunst acquired another first rounder in '19 during that draft as well.
And a few others that made it in league still last year. EQ was still lining up in playoffs for us

D

Deleted member 6794

What suitors? Gute has twice said that he has not gotten any calls or inquiries about trading for Rodgers. There is media speculation but....

Do you honestly believe Gutekunst that not a single team has called to Packers to inquire about the possibility of trading for Rodgers??? I think it's a whole lot of BS.

Finding a mediocre player in a middle round isn't something to be celebrated. I don't grade relative to others because I don't care that the Packers drafted better than some collection of awful teams. I care that the Packers find good players.

Well, if you only care about the Packers finding good players you will be glad to realize that they selected an All-Pro in Alexander in that draft. It's true Gutekunst missed on Jackson and Burks but it's completely unrealistic to expect him to do any better than MVS in the fifth round.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you honestly believe Gutekunst that not a single team has called to Packers to inquire about the possibility of trading for Rodgers??? I think it's a whole lot of BS.
Do you honestly believe Gutekunst would publicly lie? Don't you think that would anger Aaron Rodgers thereby jeopardizing the Packers chance of bringing him back??? As far as I am aware, Gutekunst has been honest in his statements as GM. I would love for there to be lavish offers on the table, but the folks that I tend not to believe are the ones talking about it...the media.

D

Deleted member 6794

Do you honestly believe Gutekunst would publicly lie? Don't you think that would anger Aaron Rodgers thereby jeopardizing the Packers chance of bringing him back??? As far as I am aware, Gutekunst has been honest in his statements as GM. I would love for there to be lavish offers on the table, but the folks that I tend not to believe are the ones talking about it...the media.

It's absolutely naive to truly believe not a single team picked up the phone and talked to Gutekunst about what it might take to acquire Rodgers.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense will now have to be gutted to make room for AR and Adams. Bye Bye Z, Preston Smith, Campbell, Douglas and maybe even Amos. Pass rush will be anemic at best. I see a 10 or 11 win season with an early exit in the playoffs. If this year's team couldn't beat a team with Jimmy G as the starting qb, a gutted team is going nowhere. The offense will alse see an exodus. Most likely Turner, Tonyan, Lazard and MVS.

WNY PackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do we get better paying two players more? It means less for everybody else. I don't expect a big improvement. I would have been happy with what Denver gave Seattle for Wilson after Rodgers agreed to stay here.

Seattle gave up Wilson and a 2022 fourth round pick and Denver gave up 1st rounders this year and next, 2nd rounders this year and next, 2022 fifth rounder, TE Noah Fant, QB Drew Lock, DT Shelby Harris.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The defense will now have to be gutted to make room for AR and Adams. Bye Bye Z, Preston Smith, Campbell, Douglas and maybe even Amos. Pass rush will be anemic at best. I see a 10 or 11 win season with an early exit in the playoffs. If this year's team couldn't beat a team with Jimmy G as the starting qb, a gutted team is going nowhere. The offense will alse see an exodus. Most likely Turner, Tonyan, Lazard and MVS.
Not really. As long as the Packers work out a long term deal with Adams, their cap hit for both him and Rodgers could be less than last year. What they will be doing is once again pushing more money out into the future.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really. As long as the Packers work out a long term deal with Adams, their cap hit for both him and Rodgers could be less than last year. What they will be doing is once again pushing more money out into the future.

I'm almost an advocate of not working out a deal with Adams and letting him play under the tag...on the chance we do win the SB and Rodgers retires...if that would happen Adams in Green Bay in a most likely rebuild for a year or two just isn't fair to him - although I guess if that would happen and you hold Adams in a three or so year contract, you could trade him instead while he is still a Top 5 worst case WR in the league.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know that the Packers would have gotten quite as much from Denver as Seattle did, if for no other reason Wilson is five or six years younger.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't know that the Packers would have gotten quite as much from Denver as Seattle did, if for no other reason Wilson is five or six years younger.
Rodgers is a much better QB though and for the length of a 3-5 year deal, that really is all that counts.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're exactly right. I think GB would get the draft picks, or two firsts and one second. They probably wouldn't get Noah Fant. But who knows, eh?

I think what is clear is that Denver wanted Wilson all along. Not because he's a better QB that Rogdgers, he's not. But to your point he gives Denver probably 5 or 6 good years and he can run. And the way Wilson takes care of himself, he could follow a Brady path and play into his 40s, barring major injury. I think the Broncos made the right call. Can the addition of Wilson alone, and the loss of Fant and a lot of picks take them to the SB in future years? We'll fine out, but I don't think so. They'll make it to a lot of AFCCGs, but that's gonna be the ceiling I think. Kansas City, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Tennessee - the AFC just has more talent than the NFC, IMO.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is a much better QB though and for the length of a 3-5 year deal, that really is all that counts.
That's another way to look at it Poker. I don't care how Denver performs, I care about GB. With Rodgers back in the fold, and almost certainly Adams, you can probably put the Packers down for another 13 wins, maybe 12 given the schedule this year. But it seems every year that line comes out about the schedule, and the Packers plow through it. Now if they can plow through playoff games and win a Lombardi, mortgaging the future will have been worth it.

Joe C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it's early. I know too many things are up in air.

Still, I'd like to gauge how fans feel at the moment.

So? Win the division? Losing record? What's your outlook, right now?

No ifs and buts. Don't qualify your response. Just a honest how you feel now response. Doesn't have to be right. But just how you feel now.
I expect the Pack will win the division and the conference. Having said that, the salary cap issues really concern me. They need to improve their special team play. And the need to add a few players to get to the big game. Specifically, a quality defensive lineman to combine with Clark and Lowery. A tight end that is a serious red zone threat, and another receiver that can stretch the defense. We need Brian Gutekunst to have a big off season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect the Pack will win the division and the conference. Having said that, the salary cap issues really concern me. They need to improve their special team play. And the need to add a few players to get to the big game. Specifically, a quality defensive lineman to combine with Clark and Lowery. A tight end that is a serious red zone threat, and another receiver that can stretch the defense. We need Brian Gutekunst to have a big off season.
Hey Joe - that's a nice summary of GB's biggest needs this off season if they are to be serious contenders for a SB. I'd add the return of Jenkins - and that Gluten may need to add some rookie depth for the OL until he returns (although that seems to be a need every year, to varying degrees).

I wouldn't want to be Russ Ball in the week ahead. He still has to make 30 plus million in cap disappear by March 16th. In the twisted way the cap works, giving Rodgers and Adams huge $$$ extensions and new contracts HELPS the current cap situation. When you consider that they will be collectively paid around $75 mil/year - well at some point down the road that bill will come due in the cap.

Seems like we have 2 years to get the elusive second Rodgers' era SB. I hope so, because after 2 years, GB will really be in cap hell. Increases in ad revenue will certainly help, and America can't get enough football. So the cap will keep going up. By how much is a big question.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Joe - that's a nice summary of GB's biggest needs this off season if they are to be serious contenders for a SB. I'd add the return of Jenkins - and that Gluten may need to add some rookie depth for the OL until he returns (although that seems to be a need every year, to varying degrees).

I wouldn't want to be Russ Ball in the week ahead. He still has to make 30 plus million in cap disappear by March 16th. In the twisted way the cap works, giving Rodgers and Adams huge $$$ extensions and new contracts HELPS the current cap situation. When you consider that they will be collectively paid around $75 mil/year - well at some point down the road that bill will come due in the cap.

Seems like we have 2 years to get the elusive second Rodgers' era SB. I hope so, because after 2 years, GB will really be in cap hell. Increases in ad revenue will certainly help, and America can't get enough football. So the cap will keep going up. By how much is a big question.

Really he needs to do about $15M - Zadarius is all but officially gone given contract, his injury and his wiping of ANYTHING GB related from all social media. That is the first big savings.

Preston Smith is a big piece to me in this, IMO we cannot afford to lose him but we cannot afford to pay him what he presently is set to make...either way OLB/EDGE is a need in the draft, but I predict Preston gets an extension that will lesson cap and also be our bridge between years for another guy to work towards being opposite of Gary; whether that is a draft pick this year, Garvin continued to grow or a guy like Rivers or a PS squad steal type diamond in the rough type guy to appear.

That still though would leave a serious amount...using round figures if you cut Cobb saves an additional $6M or so. This is also without knowing what Rodgers actual hit is going to be....it could easily be that a Preston extension, Cobb paycut or cut and maybe a slight rework of Crosby IF he is wanting to stay and the team isn't booting him that Rodgers new contract might put GB with draft factored in anywhere from $5M to $15M space I've seen estimates at. It's a tight-walk....

Oh crap also you have a Jaire extension that could be a massive middle and back loaded deal set up to be VERY light in 2022 that also could free up space.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really he needs to do about $15M - Zadarius is all but officially gone given contract, his injury and his wiping of ANYTHING GB related from all social media. That is the first big savings.

Preston Smith is a big piece to me in this, IMO we cannot afford to lose him but we cannot afford to pay him what he presently is set to make...either way OLB/EDGE is a need in the draft, but I predict Preston gets an extension that will lesson cap and also be our bridge between years for another guy to work towards being opposite of Gary; whether that is a draft pick this year, Garvin continued to grow or a guy like Rivers or a PS squad steal type diamond in the rough type guy to appear.

That still though would leave a serious amount...using round figures if you cut Cobb saves an additional $6M or so. This is also without knowing what Rodgers actual hit is going to be....it could easily be that a Preston extension, Cobb paycut or cut and maybe a slight rework of Crosby IF he is wanting to stay and the team isn't booting him that Rodgers new contract might put GB with draft factored in anywhere from $5M to $15M space I've seen estimates at. It's a tight-walk....

Oh crap also you have a Jaire extension that could be a massive middle and back loaded deal set up to be VERY light in 2022 that also could free up space.
Yeah they have to do something with Alexander or he's a $13 mil cap hit this year. Time to extend him and that'll happen soon.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is also without knowing what Rodgers actual hit is going to be

He's decided on vet. minimum ;)

Not sure if anyone was watching the Pat M. show yesterday, but they joked about just how funny that would be. I did get the impression from both Pat and AJ Hawk that money was low on the priority list for Rodgers and that the numbers first quoted by Iam were not close. Pat M and AJ said that both of them were in contact with Rodgers and I doubt they say much if Rodgers said "well it will be close to those numbers, but the deal isn't finalized."

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's decided on vet. minimum ;)

Not sure if anyone was watching the Pat M. show yesterday, but they joked about just how funny that would be. I did get the impression from both Pat and AJ Hawk that money was low on the priority list for Rodgers and that the numbers first quoted by Iam were not close. Pat M and AJ said that both of them were in contact with Rodgers and I doubt they say much if Rodgers said "well it will be close to those numbers, but the deal isn't finalized."

They almost stressed how wrong Ian was...I honestly doubt Ian goes on the show like he has for a little bit...

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My crystal ball is cracked. I have lost most of my tarot cards. My runes are scattered. Or put another way I have no idea what our record will be BUT I am hoping for better than .5

Reaction score
It's absolutely naive to truly believe not a single team picked up the phone and talked to Gutekunst about what it might take to acquire Rodgers.
I don’t doubt a team or 2 attempted to reach out to Gute in some manner. However I don’t believe those conversations took place about Rodgers at all and they would’ve been shutdown quickly after the first time Gute said we are not interested in talking about trading. He wasn’t going to jeopardize Rodgers offer by entertaining calls about a fictitious trade that wasn’t going to transpire. It’s called two timing and that would’ve made our FO look terrible after all we’ve been through.

We now know that the Packers were obviously very forthcoming in their commitment to extend Rodgers (as they said publicly weeks ago). In addition to the public statements of “wanting Rodgers to stay” and “have not fielded any trade calls” it’s very reasonable to ascertain that Rodgers and the Packers were just working on relatively minor details or aspects of the Rodgers offer

Last edited: