Where do you think we'll finish next season? (Post-Draft edits...)

D

Deleted member 6794

The defense will now have to be gutted to make room for AR and Adams. Bye Bye Z, Preston Smith, Campbell, Douglas and maybe even Amos. Pass rush will be anemic at best. I see a 10 or 11 win season with an early exit in the playoffs. If this year's team couldn't beat a team with Jimmy G as the starting qb, a gutted team is going nowhere. The offense will alse see an exodus. Most likely Turner, Tonyan, Lazard and MVS.

The Packers can actually get close to under the cap (they would most likely still be $500K over it) by releasing Z and sign Rodgers and Alexander to extensions. There are other moves to be made to create additional cap space without having to weaken the defense any further.

How do we get better paying two players more? It means less for everybody else. I don't expect a big improvement. I would have been happy with what Denver gave Seattle for Wilson after Rodgers agreed to stay here.

Seattle gave up Wilson and a 2022 fourth round pick and Denver gave up 1st rounders this year and next, 2nd rounders this year and next, 2022 fifth rounder, TE Noah Fant, QB Drew Lock, DT Shelby Harris.

How would we have gotten any better by trading the MVP and letting the best receiver in the game walk away???

I think what is clear is that Denver wanted Wilson all along. Not because he's a better QB that Rogdgers, he's not. But to your point he gives Denver probably 5 or 6 good years and he can run. And the way Wilson takes care of himself, he could follow a Brady path and play into his 40s, barring major injury. I think the Broncos made the right call.

I think the Broncos were all-in on trading for Rodgers before having to settle on Wilson. They didn't make that call at all.

I expect the Pack will win the division and the conference. Having said that, the salary cap issues really concern me. They need to improve their special team play. And the need to add a few players to get to the big game. Specifically, a quality defensive lineman to combine with Clark and Lowery. A tight end that is a serious red zone threat, and another receiver that can stretch the defense. We need Brian Gutekunst to have a big off season.

The Packers won't have a lot of cap space to be active in free agency. Gutekunst needs to have a terrific draft.

I wouldn't want to be Russ Ball in the week ahead. He still has to make 30 plus million in cap disappear by March 16th.

As mentioned above, the Packers releasing Z and extend Rodgers and Alexander will take care of that.

He's decided on vet. minimum ;)

I fully expect Rodgers' base salary in 2022 to be the veteran minimum, allowing the Packers to dave $20 million of cap space.

I don’t doubt a team or 2 attempted to reach out to Gute in some manner. However I don’t believe those conversations took place about Rodgers at all and they would’ve been shutdown quickly after the first time Gute said we are not interested in talking about trading. He wasn’t going to jeopardize Rodgers offer by entertaining calls about a fictitious trade that wasn’t going to transpire. It’s called two timing and that would’ve made our FO look terrible after all we’ve been through.

We now know that the Packers were obviously very forthcoming in their commitment to extend Rodgers (as they said publicly weeks ago). In addition to the public statements of “wanting Rodgers to stay” and “have not fielded any trade calls” it’s very reasonable to ascertain that Rodgers and the Packers were just working on relatively minor details or aspects of the Rodgers offer

I'm convinced the Packers had a deal with the Broncos in place in case Rodgers told them he wanted to be traded.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the trade conversations were not had between Rodgers camp and Gute/Org they were had between teams and Rodgers Camp...it was then up to Rodgers to say whether he was coming back or he wasn't and here is the team I'd like to go to which this is what they're offering.

D

Deleted member 6794

All the trade conversations were not had between Rodgers camp and Gute/Org they were had between teams and Rodgers Camp...it was then up to Rodgers to say whether he was coming back or he wasn't and here is the team I'd like to go to which this is what they're offering.

I don't believe Rodgers was given permission to negotiate trade compensation with another team. That should have been solely up for Gutekunst and the Packers front office.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe Rodgers was given permission to negotiate trade compensation with another team. That should have been solely up for Gutekunst and the Packers front office.

I'm merely saying from the small fry folks I do know, and what many many folks (Floria, Ian, Pat...) all either directly said or indirectly said. We will never know...or at least not for a few years no doubt - time sometimes opens up to the public things like this.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm merely saying from the small fry folks I do know, and what many many folks (Floria, Ian, Pat...) all either directly said or indirectly said. We will never know...or at least not for a few years no doubt - time sometimes opens up to the public things like this.

I honestly hope that Rodgers' deal looks significantly different (as Pat McAfee indicated) than what the so-called insiders are reporting so that some of you finally realize there's no reason to put any stock into what guys like Florio, Rapoport, Schefter etc. post.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I honestly hope that Rodgers' deal looks significantly different (as Pat McAfee indicated) than what the so-called insiders are reporting so that some of you finally realize there's no reason to put any stock into what guys like Florio, Rapoport, Schefter etc. post.
I fully agree with you on 2 things.....wanting Rodgers deal to be different than first reported and that sometimes what the media reports can range from 100% wrong to 100% right. However, sometimes some information is better than no information and vice versa. Out of the names you listed and 1000 more, I actually find Rapoport and a few Packer reporters to be right on most of the time. I do think there is now a push for all those guys you listed to be able to claim they "broke the news". When in reality, yes...they certainly did take news, reported it first, but when the facts all come out, they didn't have the full story, due to rushing to "break it". If you watched the Pat M. show, he sure made a big deal out of slamming Ian R. and the fact that it was he, Pat ******* McAfee that broke the news of the trade.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, the team has until Monday morning for agreements with the players they want to keep, not Wednesday afternoon. If deals aren't in place by the beginning of the legal tampering then I feel the guys are just going to take whatever offer they have elsewhere.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pat stressed and Aaron also tweeted the reported figure is 100% not signed/agreed to. I don't just hope, I would say I'm pretty confident in taking Rodgers' at his word through Pat that it is going to be quite salary cap friendly.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully agree with you on 2 things.....wanting Rodgers deal to be different than first reported and that sometimes what the media reports can range from 100% wrong to 100% right. However, sometimes some information is better than no information and vice versa. Out of the names you listed and 1000 more, I actually find Rapoport and a few Packer reporters to be right on most of the time. I do think there is now a push for all those guys you listed to be able to claim they "broke the news". When in reality, yes...they certainly did take news, reported it first, but when the facts all come out, they didn't have the full story, due to rushing to "break it". If you watched the Pat M. show, he sure made a big deal out of slamming Ian R. and the fact that it was he, Pat ******* McAfee that broke the news of the trade.

Per his source...es. Oh my word I loved how he reeled on Ian that day

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Per his source...es. Oh my word I loved how he reeled on Ian that day
That would be a good drinking game. Watch that episode and for every time Pat and the gang says "Source.....es"....you have to drink. I bet they try to get Ian back on to mend the fences, but they were sure having fun at his expense.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be a good drinking game. Watch that episode and for every time Pat and the gang says "Source.....es"....you have to drink. I bet they try to get Ian back on to mend the fences, but they were sure having fun at his expense.

To be fair Pat seems to be the only guy to get Ian laughing and "looser" than most.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
To be fair Pat seems to be the only guy to get Ian laughing and "looser" than most.
Agreed. I enjoy the show for the most part. I hope they get Ian back and I think he will laugh off the big miss on Rodgers. Once in awhile Pat can be over the top, but by far one of the most "honest" and entertaining shows online to watch when it comes to Football news and opinions.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t doubt a team or 2 attempted to reach out to Gute in some manner. However I don’t believe those conversations took place about Rodgers at all and they would’ve been shutdown quickly after the first time Gute said we are not interested in talking about trading. He wasn’t going to jeopardize Rodgers offer by entertaining calls about a fictitious trade that wasn’t going to transpire. It’s called two timing and that would’ve made our FO look terrible after all we’ve been through.

We now know that the Packers were obviously very forthcoming in their commitment to extend Rodgers (as they said publicly weeks ago). In addition to the public statements of “wanting Rodgers to stay” and “have not fielded any trade calls” it’s very reasonable to ascertain that Rodgers and the Packers were just working on relatively minor details or aspects of the Rodgers offer
I think you're both right. I'm sure a few teams called to see if Rodgers was available. I'm also sure that idea was shot down quickly by the FO for the reason you cite - everyone of importance in the Packers' organization was on record wanting Rodgers back. It would have been massively hypocritical to then trade him, unless Rodgers was in on it and I doubt that. As much of a prima donna as he can be, a deal is a deal. If anything, I give the Packers FO credit for being true to their word in that business and after what Rodgers pulled last year.

And I don't think any of us knew how seriously Wilson wanted out of Seattle. He's not a better QB than Rodgers but 1) he's not far behind - and he can run and 2) he'll play for another 6 or 7 years versus Rodgers 2 or 3.

D

Deleted member 6794

However, sometimes some information is better than no information and vice versa.

Actually I prefer having no information over a wrong one based on anonymous sources.

If you watched the Pat M. show, he sure made a big deal out of slamming Ian R. and the fact that it was he, Pat ******* McAfee that broke the news of the trade.

I truly enjoyed McAfee making fun of the insiders.

IMO, the team has until Monday morning for agreements with the players they want to keep, not Wednesday afternoon. If deals aren't in place by the beginning of the legal tampering then I feel the guys are just going to take whatever offer they have elsewhere.

I highly doubt the Packers will be able to re-sign any of their free agents before Monday. I'm convinced all of them want to test the free agency market before making a decision at this point.

I think you're both right. I'm sure a few teams called to see if Rodgers was available. I'm also sure that idea was shot down quickly by the FO for the reason you cite - everyone of importance in the Packers' organization was on record wanting Rodgers back. It would have been massively hypocritical to then trade him, unless Rodgers was in on it and I doubt that.

My point is that the Packers had a deal in place with the Broncos they would have agreed on pretty quickly if Rodgers told them that he didn't come back.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Actually I prefer having no information over a wrong one based on anonymous sources.
Easy enough, just turn off your phone, computer and TV. ;)

I know what you are saying though, but in this information starved society, people will grab anything and run with it. Puts a whole new spin on the game we used to play as kids called "Telephone." In case you didn't play it, you would sit in a big circle and one person would whisper something rather long and detailed to the person on their right and that person would in turn try to whisper the same thing to the person on their right. By the time it got around to the last person in the circle, it was a completely different sentence. Hell, I see media still reporting Rodgers contract as the same what Rapoport reported.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, now that Super Bowl expectations have been drastically reduced, if not eliminated:
One of the things I'm looking forward to most this season is seeing those alternative uniforms again. Those are the best alternatives we've had so far, IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

Easy enough, just turn off your phone, computer and TV. ;)

I know what you are saying though, but in this information starved society, people will grab anything and run with it.

I'm actually interested in what is happening around the league. But I would prefer that facts are reported while rumors didn't receive as much attention though.

Well, now that Super Bowl expectations have been drastically reduced, if not eliminated.

With Rodgers set to return for next season I have no idea why you believe that Super Bowl expectations have been eliminated.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Rodgers set to return for next season I have no idea why you believe that Super Bowl expectations have been eliminated.
"Reduced, if not eliminated". Two years in a row with the #1 seed, and they were unable to leverage that into anything. The cap isn't getting any friendlier. Every season is different, but what leads you to expect they're going to get into the Super Bowl now?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Reduced, if not eliminated". Two years in a row with the #1 seed, and they were unable to leverage that into anything. The cap isn't getting any friendlier. Every season is different, but what leads you to expect they're going to get into the Super Bowl now?
The problem is that you have the mindset that you should expect to get into the Super bowl. I would expect the Packers to have a very good chance. There are a number of teams that will also have a very good chance.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers returning makes me believe the Packers are one of several Super Bowl contenders in 2022. I fully expect them to make the playoffs and if they get hot at the right time there's a distinct possibility of them hoisting the Lombardi Trophy in February.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers returning makes me believe the Packers are one of several Super Bowl contenders in 2022. I fully expect them to make the playoffs and if they get hot at the right time there's a distinct possibility of them hoisting the Lombardi Trophy in February.
"If they get hot at the right time". One wonders why this hasn't happened in the last 11 years. Someone here posted that Rodgers holds a record for the most consecutive playoff games without reaching the Super Bowl, or something like that. I wonder if the Packers are so used to getting into the playoffs by this point, that they don't get "hot". Maybe there's some element of hunger there, like "Look, here's our one shot, we've got to do it now".

That doesn't really make any sense though, because look at Tom Brady, he would seem to disprove that theory. I don't know what the explanation is. They've just discouraged me to the point where I don't expect success on that level from them anymore. Because they've been there, the opportunities have been there, they just haven't been able to follow through. What percentage of the cap will Rodgers be taking up now?

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is that you have the mindset that you should expect to get into the Super bowl. I would expect the Packers to have a very good chance. There are a number of teams that will also have a very good chance.
It's definitely unreasonable to expect to go to the Super Bowl every year. But it's not unreasonable at all to have expected at least one appearance in the past 11 seasons.

I think the Packers will make the playoffs, and win one playoff game at most. Teams have the blueprint to beat Rodgers - leave everyone underneath open, and double cover Adams.

D

Deleted member 6794

"If they get hot at the right time". One wonders why this hasn't happened in the last 11 years. Someone here posted that Rodgers holds a record for the most consecutive playoff games without reaching the Super Bowl, or something like that. I wonder if the Packers are so used to getting into the playoffs by this point, that they don't get "hot". Maybe there's some element of hunger there, like "Look, here's our one shot, we've got to do it now".

That doesn't really make any sense though, because look at Tom Brady, he would seem to disprove that theory. I don't know what the explanation is. They've just discouraged me to the point where I don't expect success on that level from them anymore. Because they've been there, the opportunities have been there, they just haven't been able to follow through. What percentage of the cap will Rodgers be taking up now?

I understand the frustration about not making it back to the Super Bowl over the past 11 seasons while having multiple chances. Once a team makes the playoffs it's possible for them to get hot and get it done.

FYI Rodgers will take up 13.2% of the cap in 2022.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts