What ya think about TT???

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Then Captain WIMM suggested the Packers should have known a QB going into his second season couldn't play before that second off season even started. And then the Captain advocates for the spring signings of two QBs it was impossible for the Packers to sign in the spring.

I used Tolzien and Flynn as an example, of course I'm well aware of the fact they weren't available.

But there were other options available (like Josh McCown, who's doing a great job for the Bears) but TT decided to keep two QBs (Harrell and Coleman) who in retrospect obviously can't play.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. voted 2x GM of the year by his peers
2. Not his fault for injuries to Finley, Collins, Cobb, Rodgers, Matthews, Tramon, Hayward, Nelson, Jennings, Benson, Starks, ect
3. You realize he put together the team that is 2nd all time offensively in the modern era?
4. He won a SB
5. He took a team that was a complete train wreck when he got here and fixed it.

If TT was fired he would be hired in an instant. Looks at his GM tree, every year teams try to grab fruit from the tree of Ted Thompson.
People need to start blaming situations instead of people.

RustyShackleford

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In summary, here's what I think of Thompson: He's one of the best GMs in the league and, like every other human, he makes mistakes.

I think that's the only rational position to take for those that support Thompson. Whether it was because he didn't recognize soon enough that Coleman and Harrell weren't the answer or whether one believes, as I do, that a draft develop strategy is way too risky for the backup QB position, everyone should be able to recognize that Thompson screwed the pooch on that one. That one mistake, though, doesn't make him a bad GM.

The real issue for me, though, is the defense. Thompson has spent a lot of draft picks on the defense and the D has been nothing short of ugly these past few years. Whether it's a coaching problem or Thompson's just not hitting on the draft picks can be subject to debate, but something's just not working there.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I'd say that was more about better QB play than anything else.

A GM can't come in and get one player who will make the Packers so much better like what happened to the Colts.

Well, that´s the same with the Packers. Without Rodgers they´re a 2-14 team while with him they´re one of the best in the league. But that´s because of Rodgers, not because this is a great team, they´re just lucky to have the best player in the league on the roster.

Over the last 13 years some really great teams with mediocre QBs have won the Super Bowl and I respect these GMs for putting together a great team. The ones who won it with an elite QB (just like TT) were lucky to have a guy like that, because otherwise they wouldn´t have won it all.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
For those that think McCown was something special..

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/ar...th-Bears/e5d28a4a-6895-4459-804a-725a97be3fe7

Prior to joining the Bears, McCown started 31 of 47 games played in eight NFL seasons with the Cardinals (2002-05), Lions (2006), Raiders (2007) and Panthers (2009), completing 57.7 percent of his passes for 6,584 yards with 35 touchdowns, 40 interceptions and a 71.3 passer rating.

“The opportunity to work with coach Trestman is very exciting,” McCown said. “It’s very intriguing as a quarterback having seen what he’s been able to do with Rich Gannon and other guys he’s worked. When I first came into the league, Rich Gannon was having a lot of success in Oakland. I remember that vividly, and it’s something that excites me about working with coach Trestman.”

Yet he is flourishing with the Bears..Why? Different system and someone that can coach???

That is why I firmly believe Wallace could have managed well enough...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I used Tolzien and Flynn as an example, of course I'm well aware of the fact they weren't available.

But there were other options available (like Josh McCown, who's doing a great job for the Bears) but TT decided to keep two QBs (Harrell and Coleman) who in retrospect obviously can't play.

Josh was in North Carolina, he was with the Bears last two seasons, and is on record saying Chicago was only place for him...He even stated other teams wanted him..

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe. But it would for sure have helped to practice with the team for six months instead of being signed after camp. I really don't understand why some of you just don't get that brcause you're blind in your support of Thompson.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe. But it would for sure have helped to practice with the team for six months instead of being signed after camp. I really don't understand why some of you just don't get that brcause you're blind in your support of Thompson.

In any post, did I say Ted did the right thing?

No

So please dont put words in my mouth

I only tried to rationalize why Wallace may have worked

In fact, where are the posts stating Ted did the right thing?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say that was more about better QB play than anything else.
Well, that´s the same with the Packers. Without Rodgers they´re a 2-14 team while with him they´re one of the best in the league. But that´s because of Rodgers, not because this is a great team, they´re just lucky to have the best player in the league on the roster.

Over the last 13 years some really great teams with mediocre QBs have won the Super Bowl and I respect these GMs for putting together a great team. The ones who won it with an elite QB (just like TT) were lucky to have a guy like that, because otherwise they wouldn´t have won it all.

Exactly. Rodgers will come back and the team will be good again. A new GM and/or coach won't be the difference.

There have been only two teams that have won with average QB play in recent history and those two teams had historically good defenses - a level of defense that a GM shouldn't be expected to build. I wouldn't call all of the other GMs just lucky. A bad GM can't luckily build a Super Bow team.

And drafting and developing a guy who other teams passed on is not all luck. Yes, they got lucky Rodgers fell, but they also could have passed on him just like 20+ teams did. It's also not lucky to surround him with offensive talent and build a good defense the year they won it. The defense won two out of the three playoff games that season.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
We always heard Brett made the players around him better...But we never had a gauge to that..

We do with Rodgers

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Exactly. Rodgers will come back and the team will be good again. A new GM and/or coach won't be the difference.

There have been only two teams that have won with average QB play in recent history and those two teams had historically good defenses - a level of defense that a GM shouldn't be expected to build. I wouldn't call all of the other GMs just lucky. A bad GM can't luckily build a Super Bow team.

And drafting and developing a guy who other teams passed on is not all luck. Yes, they got lucky Rodgers fell, but they also could have passed on him just like 20+ teams did. It's also not lucky to surround him with offensive talent and build a good defense the year they won it. The defense won two out of the three playoff games that season.

Well, Thompson deserves credit for drafting Rodgers in 2005 and sticking with him in 2008, no doubt about that And the 2010 defense was way better than the current one, mainly because Nick Collins (another great pick by TT) and Charles Woodson (by far his best free agent signing)in his prime still played for that team.

BUT, since winning the Super Bowl this team has steadily regressed and has mostly relied on Rodgers arm to win games. Taking a look at the 2011 and 2012 drafts Thompson made some mistakes and it's costing the team right now. And in my opinion because he doesn't acquire players any other way he has to be held to a higher standard here.

And while I mostly agree with the draft and develop philosophy you have to realize other teams draft players as well and it's really tough to catch up to some teams that use free agency to improve as well.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We always heard Brett made the players around him better...But we never had a gauge to that..

We do with Rodgers

The thing with both Brett and A-Rod is that not one of them played with a perennial pro bowl receiver, well I guess Brett did for a short period with Sharpe, but other than that both of these QB's did their work with some good receivers but not a one that will say make the hall of fame.

I do firmly believe both these QB's make the players around them better.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those that think McCown was something special..

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/ar...th-Bears/e5d28a4a-6895-4459-804a-725a97be3fe7

Yet he is flourishing with the Bears..Why? Different system and someone that can coach???

Josh Freeman had a couple decent years when he had Vincent Jackson to throw the ball to. Let's not forget that many of McCown's recent passes (a few from last night's game come to mind) were not even good passes but he's being saved by having TWO monster receivers to throw to. I can still remember the look in the Cowboys' corners eyes last night when he though he was getting a pick along the sideline and then Jeffrey reached around from behind the corner and snatched the ball away. It was a poorly thrown pass but Jeffrey made it a solid completion. Packers have a good WR corp but we don't have the physical freak wide receivers like Chicago.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Josh Freeman had a couple decent years when he had Vincent Jackson to throw the ball to. Let's not forget that many of McCown's recent passes (a few from last night's game come to mind) were not even good passes but he's being saved by having TWO monster receivers to throw to. I can still remember the look in the Cowboys' corners eyes last night when he though he was getting a pick along the sideline and then Jeffrey reached around from behind the corner and snatched the ball away. It was a poorly thrown pass but Jeffrey made it a solid completion. Packers have a good WR corp but we don't have the physical freak wide receivers like Chicago.

Those big wr's are weapons! i wish the Packers would draft at least another big wr who can run. sure would help in the red zone.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Thompson deserves credit for drafting Rodgers in 2005 and sticking with him in 2008, no doubt about that And the 2010 defense was way better than the current one, mainly because Nick Collins (another great pick by TT) and Charles Woodson (by far his best free agent signing)in his prime still played for that team.

BUT, since winning the Super Bowl this team has steadily regressed and has mostly relied on Rodgers arm to win games. Taking a look at the 2011 and 2012 drafts Thompson made some mistakes and it's costing the team right now. And in my opinion because he doesn't acquire players any other way he has to be held to a higher standard here.

And while I mostly agree with the draft and develop philosophy you have to realize other teams draft players as well and it's really tough to catch up to some teams that use free agency to improve as well.

Most teams would love to have been to the divisional round two years in a row.

Yes, he make mistakes and they aren't as good as the Super Bowl season, but they are still a good team. If a GM builds a good team, I think he's going a good job.

As far as free agency, Ted will use it provided he doesn't have to overspend. If there's a player who he thinks will help the team and comes at a reasonable price, that player will be signed.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

No matter what I say about Josh some one always has an excuse why I cant use him asan example

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The real failure has been the absence of dominating lines on both sides of the ball. But this is nothing new. Having experienced the 70s and 80s, I'll take what we have.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score

So you use examples you now say you know weren't available and then suggest a QB who has been on the Bears roster since November of 2011, as if he were available. You post GMs who acquired great QBs and won titles with them were lucky, including Thompson, and then say of course he deserves credit for that draft pick. Thompson and McCarthy and his staff, all involved in evaluating Harrell and Coleman, obviously made a mistake waiting too long to replace them. But your confused posting on this subject doesn’t help make that point. And BTW everyone can see the mistake they made in retrospect. You do understand Thompson, McCarthy and their staffs don't have that luxury as they make decisions, right?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

So you use examples you now say you know weren't available and then suggest a QB who has been on the Bears roster since November of 2011, as if he were available.

McCown was a free agent in March, so for me that means he was available at that time.

You don't think the Packers were lucky Rodgers was still on the board at #24 in 2005??? And in your totally blind support of everything Thompson does don't you realize this team would have had a way different record since 2008 if Rodgers wouldn't have dropped to them???

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

And BTW everyone can see the mistake they made in retrospect. You do understand Thompson, McCarthy and their staffs don't have that luxury as they make decisions, right?

I can only make this assumption in retrospect cause the only time I've seen them play in some meaningless preseason snaps.

But those guys make millions evaluating talent, and they should have known earlier.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can only make this assumption in retrospect cause the only time I've seen them play in some meaningless preseason snaps.

But those guys make millions evaluating talent, and they should have known earlier.

Not all talent evaluations are correct. In fact, more aren't. The drafts proves that.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Not all talent evaluations are correct. In fact, more aren't. The drafts proves that.

True, so it would be nice if some of you Thompson supporters admit that he made a huge mistake evaluating the backup QBs.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, so it would be nice if some of you Thompson supporters admit that he made a huge mistake evaluating the backup QBs.

I support Thompson and I'll agree there were mistakes made in evaluating in the backups. Not just on Thompson though. I'm sure MM and the QB coach played a role in keeping them around for so long.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts