What was the Packers worst Personnel decision of 2009?

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What was the Packers worst Personnel decision of 2009?UPDATED

1 - keeping 3 full backs
2 - cutting T. Sutton
3 - keeping and paying Bush
4 - keeping then cutting Rouse
5 - cutting Anthony Smith
6 - trading Tony Moll
7 - not retaining Jamon Meredith,
8 - keeping Brett Swain by cutting Ruvell Martin
9 - not retaining Brohm
10 - not trading Kampman before the trade deadline
12 and this is a joke and for fun only, not offering the guy in wranglers his job back
*13 - Firing of Mike Wood
*14 - Starting Barbre as the right tackle and sticking with him too long
*15 - paying a one hand man (coming off the bench) a 4 year 21 million Dollar contract
Just fun to look back a little as we plan for the future.

* updates

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Their worst decision by far didn't make your list.

Thinking that Allen Barbre was a starting caliber RT and not having anyone one the roster who was ready to play in case he failed (which he did, in an epic fashion) was their worst roster decision.

This completely de-stabilized the line which wasn't "fixed" until the return of Tausch mid-season. As old as he is and with no camp and bum knees he was 100X the player that Barbre was. The complete miss on Barbre was a huge factor in starting the season 4-4, and if Tausch doesn't come back and save our bacon we probably miss the playoffs.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 - keeping 3 full backs
2 - cutting T. Sutton
3 - keeping and paying Bush
4 - keeping then cutting Rouse
5 - cutting Anthony Smith
6 - trading Tony Moll
7 - not retaining Jamon Meredith
8 - keeping Brett Swain by cutting Ruvell Martin
9 - not retaining Brohm
10 - not trading Kampman before the trade deadline
12 and this is a joke and for fun only, not offering the guy in wranglers his job back

Just fun to look back a little as we plan for the future.
First, talking about your topics:
1- agree
2- agree
3- agree
4- agree on the keeping thing.
5- agree
6- Really? You wanted Tony Moll? Getting anything for him was the best move made ever. EVER.
7- disagree, Meredith sucks, and is a bum.
8- agree
9- disagree, Brohm sucks.
10- agree (now)
12- I took it serious and was about to rant... LOL. And nice, skipping 11...

-

Now onto my list. Decrescent order.

1) Keeping Jarrett Bush
2) Keeping Jarrett Bush
3) Keeping Jarrett Bush
4) Keeping Jarrett Bush
5) Keeping Jarrett Bush
6) Not getting a veteran CB when Harris fell
7) Keeping Slocum as ST coach and Kapinos
8) Cutting Antonhy Smith
9) Keeping James Campen

I think those are the decisions that directly affected us losing in the postseason.

I don't think there was anything to do with the OL, personell wise, because there weren't any goot FAs out there, we needed to wait for Tauscher, and it was unfortunate that we suffered so many injuries, that kept the line from being cohesive. Maybe Lang should've started at RT right away, that could go onto the list. And maybe we could've traded Kampman for an OL, but those are too big of hypotetical situations, given we don't know what we could've gotten for him, and that Lang was a rookie.

The keeping 3 fbs, cutting Sutton, cutting Martin, all that were bad personell decisions, but that didn't affect us directly.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

Thinking that Allen Barbre was a starting caliber RT and not having anyone one the roster who was ready to play in case he failed (which he did, in an epic fashion) was their worst roster decision.

This completely de-stabilized the line which wasn't "fixed" until the return of Tausch mid-season. As old as he is and with no camp and bum knees he was 100X the player that Barbre was. The complete miss on Barbre was a huge factor in starting the season 4-4, and if Tausch doesn't come back and save our bacon we probably miss the playoffs.

This is exactly what I was thinking as I first read the list and, your comments on Tauscher are right on the nutz too.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not trading Kampman was the worst and cutting Sutton was 2nd. I understand why the Pack didn't trade Kampman since he is a leader on the D and a role model, but doesn't change my mind on the fact that it was a bad decision.

Sutton looked pretty good in preseason. I'm aware it was only preseason, but he seemed to be a good instinctual RB who could have really helped out this Packer team for years to come.

JamesCA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have to agree that thinking Barbre was ready to start was the biggest mistake. After all, he seemed to barely beat Giacomini out for the job.

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My Number 1 too!

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Not trading Kampman was the worst and cutting Sutton was 2nd. I understand why the Pack didn't trade Kampman since he is a leader on the D and a role model, but doesn't change my mind on the fact that it was a bad decision.

Sutton looked pretty good in preseason. I'm aware it was only preseason, but he seemed to be a good instinctual RB who could have really helped out this Packer team for years to come.
I think this was a big one too. Before camp I was clamoring for them to trade Kampy. I love the guy BUT, IMO they probably could have got a D1 which could have been used on, oh maybe Michael Oher... He was still on the right side of 30. Although nobody knew how he'd fare at OLB in the 34 IMO it was obvious that he would be somewhat miscast and not as effective as he was proven to be as a 43 DE. His behavior in OTAs and camp (refusing to talk about the move) suggested to me that he wasn't thrilled with it, so why make him do something that he probably isn't on board with? Anyway, they missed that opportunity and then to rub salt in the wound, he ends up missing a big chunk of the season after going on IR...

Hindsight? Somewhat. But much of it was pretty obvious.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get how any of these moves will affect us right now. The packers won't be able to get back any of the players on that list. The damage has already bern done. I just hope we don't screw up this offseason, hey at least Schneider is gone, this is the guy responsible for dilli's list.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get how any of these moves will affect us right now. The packers won't be able to get back any of the players on that list. The damage has already bern done. I just hope we don't screw up this offseason, hey at least Schneider is gone, this is the guy responsible for dilli's list.
I think, most importantly, that though it affected us not winning the division, it wasn't because Barbre started early that we didn't win in Arizona.

Jarrett Bush playing, however...

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
A) Wranglers? **** Wranglers. I roll in Gunslingers. (Don't ever give me an opening, people)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0VTCwn5JQs"]YouTube- SportsNation's Gunslingers Commercial[/ame]

B) From the things on your list, I pick 7. Meredith was a starter in Buffalo and from what I hear was actually pretty good. Meanwhile, we ****ed around with the Barbre experiment until things went horribly wrong and ended up having to resign Taush who, while still good, isn't exactly young. Meredith might have been a longterm solution on that line for one of our aging tackles.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is Mike Wood?

He was the maintenance worker that said the wrong thing out loud to MM in passing. MM supposedly got on his cell and call management to complain about the incident and got the employee fired.

On a serious note that story broke after the loss to Tampa, at 4-4 I thought that little incident was beginning of the ending of our season. The story was getting a lot of attention, not like MM wasn't already under enormous pressure getting ready for Dallas, but this was becoming a public relations nightmare.

At the time when the team needed to be united with no distractions, management decides to fire a guy who has been with the Packers for 22 years for saying the wrong thing to MM.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
added another one to the list

15 - paying a one hand man (coming off the bench) a 4 year 21 million dollar contract

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I think, most importantly, that though it affected us not winning the division, it wasn't because Barbre started early that we didn't win in Arizona.

Jarrett Bush playing, however...

I'm disagreeing here because both Viking losses came before Tausch's return. I know exactly what you're saying, I really do ... but, Jared Allen made the pro-bowl based on two performances this year...both against the Green Bay Packers over half of his 14.5 came against the Packers (7.5)..that's over 10% of his entire CAREER total to date. That's not the sole cause of the Pack's two losses to the boys in Violet and Yellow, but it is indicative of the total domination of the Pack's O-line in those two games.

GBFANATIC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KEEPING JARRETT BUSH IS #1 WORST MOVE.....
yall are gonna hate me for this but #2 IMO is keeping.... MASON CROSBY! missed a kick in 5 straight games, including our loss to Pittsburgh (which we lost on the last play of the game) and I believe he missed 7 or more all year. I know he missed most from 49+ yards, but I felt we should have gone after Suisham when he was cut by Washington when Mason was in the depths of his slump. Please feel free to talk some sense into me as I hope you can revive my faith in Mason.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KEEPING JARRETT BUSH IS #1 WORST MOVE.....
yall are gonna hate me for this but #2 IMO is keeping.... MASON CROSBY! missed a kick in 5 straight games, including our loss to Pittsburgh (which we lost on the last play of the game) and I believe he missed 7 or more all year. I know he missed most from 49+ yards, but I felt we should have gone after Suisham when he was cut by Washington when Mason was in the depths of his slump. Please feel free to talk some sense into me as I hope you can revive my faith in Mason.

Here's an interesting stat to think about, all 4 of the teams in this year's championship game have never missed a kick in the playoffs and have made over 70% of their kicks in the regular season. I guess kicking does matter, if only mason......

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm disagreeing here because both Viking losses came before Tausch's return. I know exactly what you're saying, I really do ... but, Jared Allen made the pro-bowl based on two performances this year...both against the Green Bay Packers over half of his 14.5 came against the Packers (7.5)..that's over 10% of his entire CAREER total to date. That's not the sole cause of the Pack's two losses to the boys in Violet and Yellow, but it is indicative of the total domination of the Pack's O-line in those two games.

Saying Allen made the Pro Bowl based on the two Packer games is a pretty ignorant statement to make. The guy probably drew more double teams and chip blocks than any player in the league, partly because of the incredibly inconsistent performance of Ray Edwards on the opposite side, and was stout against the run. He played well enough to make the Pro Bowl and has the name recognition to have made it even without those six sacks.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for the worst personnel decision of the Packers, having Jordy Nelson return kicks deserves some mention.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
As for the worst personnel decision of the Packers, having Jordy Nelson return kicks deserves some mention.

Unless you are suggesting that they should have acquired someone for that role, who would you suggest they should have used? Woodson? Tramon Williams? Blackmon was on IR... I don't see a lot of good options here. They tried Ahman Green. Their choices on their active roster were pretty limited. BTW, Nelson wasn't a dynamic returner but his numbers were solid over all. He averaged 25.4 yards per return. His average ranked #27 which certainly isn't good. However, Jordy had 25 returns. Ten of the players listed above him in average at NFL. com had 5 or fewer returns on the year, and another had only 10. So, if you exclude returners who have too low a number of returns to give a decent statistical summary, he was actually #16, which means AVERAGE. If you keep all those low data point returners in the mix and look at the average return #s, the guy who was actually at #16 had an average return of 26.6 yards - or barely 1 yard more than Jordy's average. So, when looking at the stats, Jordy struck me as a "solid" but certainly not spectacular kick returner. He didn't kill us but sure didn't help a lot either.

KR/PR is something they IMO have to look really hard for this off season. IMO, finding an impact kick returner/punt returner would go a long way towards improving ST.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless you are suggesting that they should have acquired someone for that role, who would you suggest they should have used? Woodson? Tramon Williams? Blackmon was on IR... I don't see a lot of good options here. They tried Ahman Green. Their choices on their active roster were pretty limited. BTW, Nelson wasn't a dynamic returner but his numbers were solid over all. He averaged 25.4 yards per return. His average ranked #27 which certainly isn't good. However, Jordy had 25 returns. Ten of the players listed above him in average at NFL. com had 5 or fewer returns on the year, and another had only 10. So, if you exclude returners who have too low a number of returns to give a decent statistical summary, he was actually #16, which means AVERAGE. If you keep all those low data point returners in the mix and look at the average return #s, the guy who was actually at #16 had an average return of 26.6 yards - or barely 1 yard more than Jordy's average. So, when looking at the stats, Jordy struck me as a "solid" but certainly not spectacular kick returner. He didn't kill us but sure didn't help a lot either.

KR/PR is something they IMO have to look really hard for this off season. IMO, finding an impact kick returner/punt returner would go a long way towards improving ST.

They should have aquired somebody. I think that Nelson's yards per return are slightly misleading because from what I saw, and I only saw half the games or so, he just caught the ball and ran strait up field basically every time. That is a good strategy for getting guaranteed pure yards per return, but anyone can do it. But he never seemed to be a threat to house it. Teams didn't have to worry about it because he was going to get those yards but was never going to kill them. Past Jennings, Driver, Nelson, and Jones the Pack has a craptastic crop of 3 practice squad caliber wideouts. There has to have been some free agent rookie out there with some semblance of kick return ability.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
he just caught the ball and ran strait up field basically every time. That is a good strategy for getting guaranteed pure yards per return, but anyone can do it.
That is why I said that he didn't do anything great but didn't hurt us either. I think 25.4 yards is a pretty healthy average for a guy who didn't break any long ones. So I'd disagree that "anyone" could do it. That said, I totally agree that an upgrade at that spot would be a big help. But IMO we have bigger needs, like OT, LOLB, S, CB... But there is no denying that better starting field position would make the offense even more potent.

Members online

Latest posts