What was the Packers worst Personnel decision of 2009?

GDP56

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kampman is now out of position and is repleaceble with this kind of defense, hope that they can get a good high value pick for this years draft. I also agree in cutting sutton

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
kampman is now out of position and is repleaceble with this kind of defense, hope that they can get a good high value pick for this years draft. I also agree in cutting sutton

Problem is, Kampy is now an UFA... The time to trade him was last off season when he was under contract. He isn't our property any more and the only ways we can trade him are to sign him first or to use the franchise tag (risky proposition since I believe it would guarantee him at least $8M in salary for 2010) and then try to work out compensation. IMO, if we were interested in getting maximum value for Kampman we totally missed the boat. Now he is an UFA on the wrong side of 30 and coming off of major knee surgery.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for the worst personnel decision of the Packers, having Jordy Nelson return kicks deserves some mention.

Nelson had better averages and stats than Blackmon this year. The other option would have been Woodson, but risking him to that kind of punishment and injury would have been devastating to our defense. Nelson was the best on the team, though his playoff performance seemed strange to me, thats the best way to describe it as "strange".

GBFANATIC

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I was talking to espn announcer John Clayton (regular at my restaurant) back in early November about the Kampman situation. He said that Kampman's trade value at the time would be for a 4th- 5th round draft pick. John's biggest concerns for us at the beginning of the season and for next year are what we all expect: O-Line and CB's. Anyone know Kampman's salary? If we lose him free agency (please anywhere but Minny) we will have a significant amount of money towards fixing those problems.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
I was talking to espn announcer John Clayton (regular at my restaurant) back in early November about the Kampman situation. He said that Kampman's trade value at the time would be for a 4th- 5th round draft pick. John's biggest concerns for us at the beginning of the season and for next year are what we all expect: O-Line and CB's. Anyone know Kampman's salary? If we lose him free agency (please anywhere but Minny) we will have a significant amount of money towards fixing those problems.
Minnesota won't be a big player in the FA markety due to the limitations on the "final 8" with no CBA in 2010. If they sign anyone do you really think it would be a DE when they have Allen and Edwards, or maybe someone to help out their crappy secondary?

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently if you're one of the final four teams in the playoffs, you're even MORE restricted in Free Agency. I think they're restricted even more that added on to the fact that they can only sign the same number of FA's as the same number of players they lose to Free Agency, they can only sign players who's salary is either 5.5 mil or lower.

From NFL Fact Sheet: 2010 and the UncappedYear - Blogging The Boys they answer FAQ on their blog addressing NFL FA and etc. with things stated in the nfl 2010 fact sheet(s)
For the four clubs that lost in the Divisional Playoffs, in addition to having the ability to sign free agents based on the number of their own free agents signing with other clubs, they may also sign players based on specific financial parameters. Those four only will be permitted to sign one unrestricted free agent for $5.5 million (estimated) or more in year one of the contract, plus the number of their UFAs who sign with another team. They also can sign any unrestricted free agents for less than $3.7 (estimated) million in year one of the contract with limitations on the per year increases.

gute

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think cutting Sutton was a mistake and next in line would probably be letting Anthony Smith go. But, I don't think any of the listed personnel decisions resulted in our early exit from the playoffs.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say that the worst decision for 2009 would be a close call between not trading Kampman for a high draft pick and cutting Anthony Smith who was one of our two top defensive backs during the pre-season. I'm leaning towards cutting Smith because we got torched in the secondary. He knew the system and was always in position making plays ( almost as much as Woodson). Who's to say if we didn't have another experienced Defensive Back that was familiar in the new system that we don't lose to Tampa Bay or Pittsburgh? Without those losses maybe were looking at a Home Playoff Game and a first round bye!

JamesCA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I understand a lot of people are disappointed in Kampman's performance this year compared to his previous season I think that for going to a new position he probably would have been a major contributor during the playoff game with the Cards if he had been playing. Remember, Jones disappeared and while he has more experience with playing OLB, Kampman would have been a better complement for Matthews as a pass rusher. I think if they brought him back this year he would be a contributor and might eventually be similar to Kevin Greene who is coaching him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts