Week two: Falcons blowout studs and duds.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blow out my ****! Two pick calls counted
Against us killed our drive before the half, and gave Atlanta a td. That alone could have been the difference in the game! Had we drove for the td before the half instead. The second pick called against us turned a td into a fg for a 4 point swing...

Just one of those days... too many key guys hurt. Lost Nelson, and Cobb. Lost Brice, the key to the nitro. Daniels, the back bone of our 2 man front... and two o tackles who were out of their league....

Last edited:
Reaction score
First and foremost..we were completely out of our league in Atlanta and the better team clearly won. Now that being said.
IF you knew before this game started...................... that we would go into the Falcons home stadium 1. with both starting Tackles out. 2. The next backup Tackle was out and that his replacement player would be a Guard who had never played an NFL game with his team. 3. That the Tackle playing opposite had 1 game of NFL experience. 4. That the #1 WR would go out 1st quarter. 5. That the #1 DT would be out 1st Quarter. That the group would commit 10 fouls and at least one of which would directly take away points. 6. That the team would finish with a -2 Turnover ratio and both turnovers would be within field goal range minimum.

What would've been your guess at the score without knowing anything about the Falcons Offensive or Defensive production beforehand

Last edited:

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get how the lowly Bears took the Falcons right down to the last play of the game, but GB gets blown out by them....you can't tell me Chicago is better than GB...

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a long season fellas. Last night sucked 100%, but things change.

Remember the opening game of the 2014 season? The Seahawks spanked us real good, and we all know what happened in the NFCCG later that year. Had the game, threw it away.

Too early to give up.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It's a long season fellas. Last night sucked 100%, but things change.

Remember the opening game of the 2014 season? The Seahawks spanked us real good, and we all know what happened in the NFCCG later that year. Had the game, threw it away.

Too early to give up.
No one's giving up. But there are glaring weaknesses on this team that I am concerned with.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
In general, for all their greatness, I don't think McCarthy/Rodgers excel in adapting what they do to fit new circumstances.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just as you would not expect the head coach to negotiate contracts or make salary cap decisions, you should not expect him to have the final say on eating the balance of a DCs contract.

Actually in most cases the HC has the say in who makes up his staff.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I understand optimism and trying to focus on the positive things, but I'm having a hard time finding many positives from last night's game, plain and simple, we got beat by a much better team and my optimism about an improved defense is trending downward.

Sorry to those posters who might be finding themselves annoyed at reading about negative thoughts. The most positive things I can say about last night:
  1. Rodgers didn't appear to get injured.
  2. King showed some skills.
  3. Vogel can punt.
  4. Murphy and Pankey weren't as bad as I expected.
  5. Our draft needs on defense will be wide open to choose from.

I'm not annoyed by your opinion. I'm just interacting with it.

In your opinion, by this same token, are the Chiefs are much better team than the Patriots?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Of course I believe it. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that being without Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Nelson, and Daniels could have been the difference in a win or a loss. The Falcons struggled last week against the freaking Mike Glennon led Bears.

That doesn't tell you anything about the Green Bay Packers who got their doors blown off last night?? You also forgot to mention that the team the Packers "looked good" against last week, struggled to beat one of the worst teams in the NFL....at home no less.

We can all talk about "this guy or that guy" was hurt and if that makes you feel better about this loss, so be it. Would our offense have been better with Bulaga and Bahk? Sure it would have been, but would it have been good enough to outscore the Atlanta offense that dominated the Packer Defense, even when Mike Daniels was on the field? I don't think so.

Blame it on having to go play at a new stadium and injuries, but at the end of the day, nothing that happened last night allows me to say with a straight objective face, we are better than the Falcons, nor do I think we have shown anything that makes me believe we are better than the 2016 Packers. Long season to go, maybe with better luck in the injury department, we will be improved. However, until the Packers can figure out how to get a consistent pass rush, tackle runners and most importantly, not give receivers 5 yard cushions to catch the ball, this might be a similar season to last year.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm not annoyed by your opinion. I'm just interacting with it.

In your opinion, by this same token, are the Chiefs are much better team than the Patriots?

I haven't watched either of those teams play this year, nor do I know much about either team, so I would have nothing to base my opinion on. On the other hand, I have seen the Packers get beaten by the Falcons 3 times in less than a year and the way in which they got beat. I am very comfortable in saying, the Falcons are the better team.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I haven't watched either of those teams play this year, nor do I know much about either team, so I would have nothing to base my opinion on. On the other hand, I have seen the Packers get beaten by the Falcons 3 times in less than a year and the way in which they got beat. I am very comfortable in saying, the Falcons are the better team.

Well they don't play as often, but the last two times they've played each other the Chiefs have blown out the Patriots in dramatic fashion. It would seem to follow by the basic logic of this argument that KC > NE. Which, in my mind, illustrates the weakness of using head to head as the sole indicator.

I think that the Packers and Falcons are fairly comparable in terms of overall talent. If the Packers see the Falcons in the playoffs with most of their current roster available, I think that will show itself. If either of these teams has to play the other minus numerous key players, I think the other is good enough to trounce them.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:mad:now that I have had time to cool off:

Studs: Kevin King - hey now...put this young man in the game as a starter...the alternatives are not on his level.
Josh Jones - I liked his edge. He is a fire plug. Cannot wait until he flashes more.
Randall Cobb - he showed some spark and resilience last night.

Duds:
Randall - I don't know what to say. Didn't belong on the field. No more talk. All results and consistency or it may be waiver wire time.
Martellus Bennett - only a mini dud, and has a new nickname - Martdroppal Paddlehands. The drops coming from a seasoned vet make my stomach turn. He did block very well though.
Jake Ryan - stood like a statue as people ran crossing routes OVER AND OVER. Another player that might be hitting the street.
Dom Capers/Cornerback coach - once again their game plan and adjustments baffle the mind. I do not begin to understand what they were thinking.

This game showed us either that the Falcons are premier, or did it expose this defensive sieve AGAIN? The injuries to Daniels Bakh and Nelson were HUGE. The officiating did this team no favors - a pick is not when a rcvr runs a drag and the lb or db runs into them in the process. In closing all I have to say going forward with the patched up team is YAMA HAMA....ITS FRIGHT NIGHT!

H

HardRightEdge

Or to quote Helmut von Motlke, "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy".

Yeah, that's a guy and that's a thing.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First and foremost..we were completely out of our league in Atlanta and the better team clearly won. Now that being said.
IF you knew before this game started...................... that we would go into the Falcons home stadium 1. with both starting Tackles out. 2. The next backup Tackle was out and that his replacement player would be a Guard who had never played an NFL game with his team. 3. That the Tackle playing opposite had 1 game of NFL experience. 4. That the #1 WR would go out 1st quarter. 5. That the #1 DT would be out 1st Quarter. That the group would commit 10 fouls and at least one of which would directly take away points. 6. That the team would finish with a -2 Turnover ratio and both turnovers would be within field goal range minimum.

What would've been your guess at the score without knowing anything about the Falcons Offensive or Defensive production beforehand

First a correction is in order. We did NOT commit a foul which took away 6 points. The general understanding when there are collisions in the red zone is as long as the offensive player is running a route and hands are not being used to block, there is no call for a pick play. Otherwise you would have defenders doing nothing but jumping routes like drawing a charge in basketball. Allison was trying to avoid the guy who cut off his route. It was as bogus as the Bennett call was. We are NOT completely out of Atlanta's league. That's defeatist rhetoric. If you take away 4 of any team's 7 best players that team is going to be hard pressed to win. With both teams at 100% it's a wash.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
:mad:now that I have had time to cool off:

Studs: Kevin King - hey now...put this young man in the game as a starter...the alternatives are not on his level.
Josh Jones - I liked his edge. He is a fire plug. Cannot wait until he flashes more.
Randall Cobb - he showed some spark and resilience last night.

Duds:
Randall - I don't know what to say. Didn't belong on the field. No more talk. All results and consistency or it may be waiver wire time.
Martellus Bennett - only a mini dud, and has a new nickname - Martdroppal Paddlehands. The drops coming from a seasoned vet make my stomach turn. He did block very well though.
Jake Ryan - stood like a statue as people ran crossing routes OVER AND OVER. Another player that might be hitting the street.
Dom Capers/Cornerback coach - once again their game plan and adjustments baffle the mind. I do not begin to understand what they were thinking.

This game showed us either that the Falcons are premier, or did it expose this defensive sieve AGAIN? The injuries to Daniels Bakh and Nelson were HUGE. The officiating did this team no favors - a pick is not when a rcvr runs a drag and the lb or db runs into them in the process. In closing all I have to say going forward with the patched up team is YAMA HAMA....ITS FRIGHT NIGHT!

I don't think Ryan was a statue, he just can't hang in zone against receivers. It's not who he is. To Atlanta's credit, they forced us to use him with their running game, and then exploited him in coverage.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense is bad. Offensive playcalling is uninspired and we can't run, so CBs just sit on the slow-developing iso routes. Just too many weaknesses for this to be a SB team.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's must suck overreacting to everything all the time.
Overreacting? We saw the same exact team do the same exact thing they did to us to end our last season. They are clearly a much better team. What do we have to be optimistic about?

Paul NJ

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Kevin King, looks like he will be our #1 corner by the end of the year.
Davante Adams, played hard throughout and at least offered another target for Arod.

Duds:
Aaron Rodgers, played like 2016 week 8.
Randall, learn how to play outside technique in your third year.
Bennett, catch the ball then talk.
McCarthy, making weeks 1-4 essentially preseason games the last 3 seasons.
Thompson, for not keeping more receivers and keeping Janis instead. We will be hurting for a spark if Nelson is out for any period of time.
How can you be sure Yancy or DuPree would have been better than Janis. If they had something to show, they would have made the 53.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts