Packers and Raiders: Studs and Duds

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
DUDS:
  • The field. Never play in Canada again! This cost both teams the opportunity to get reps in for their starters and for all we know, cost some injuries as well. Just shaking my head that this happens in the NFL.
  • Injuries to Bolton, EQB and possibly Gary. ILB was paper thin as it was. Now its on life support. If EQ's injury is significant, Lazard probably just made the team.
  • Kizer: Writing this before the game is over. But once again, the guy looks way too indecisive.
  • Pass Rush: Do we have one? Hope the starters can produce one.
  • Penalties
STUDS:
  • Trevor Davis: Silenced me, he made the Roster and Shepherd probably didn't.
  • Boyle: Actually looked good for most of the game.
  • JK Scott

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Shepherd and Davis are making this team as of now.

Davis stood up and said don’t doubt me, I’m better than you remember and Shepherd kept pace

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I didn't see the injury to Bolton, but the injury to EQB looked significant. Probably a concussion and that will be the least of his worries. That left foot got caught up and both his ankle and knee appeared to contort in ways that they shouldn't. Really tough break. If it is significant, the silver lining is IR and the Packers get to take another look at a guy they may have had to cut, next season.

As far as Bolton, if the Packers don't sign a FA ILB or even 2 in the next week, someone is sleeping at the wheel. Martinez didn't make the trip to Winnipeg with what is being described as a "minor injury", but come on Gute!

I just saw on Twitter that Lazard was injured, I missed the last part of the 4th Q, anyone know what happened or how bad?

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

I just saw on Twitter that Lazard was injured, I missed the last part of the 4th Q, anyone know what happened or how bad?
He took a pretty hard helmet-to-helmet hit, maybe shoulder to helmet, that drew a flag. He was down for awhile then walked off on his own power. Concussion protocol I'd say.

Gary looked like he got whiplashed on a tackle assist.

Reaction score
Duds:

12 fouls for 127 penalty yards? After penalty yards we netted 160 total yards? Incredible

Our second half Offense was non existent. 3 first downs for zero points? That’s pathetic. We were leading in clock time by nearly 5 minutes and lost it all in 2 quarters, exhausted our Defense. I’m surprised they only gave up 10 points in the 2nd half.

Cole Madison needs more time to develop. He’s behind after missing time and it’s noticeable.

Kizer looks like a rookie late round draft pick.

Studs:

Chandon Sullivan was all over the field. Except for one early play where he didn’t get his head around (he might have made an INT) and took an interference call, he played a near perfect game.
He reminds me of a young, poor man’s Sam Shields.
Terrific effort by him, I was watching him specifically and he impressed again.

Trevor made 4 nice catches and the only one he missed was a throw 2-3 yards short of his stride and should’ve been led a smidge outside away from coverage. He’s deceptively fast and had changed back to 3rd gear there, which allowed the defender to make a play.

Overall the GB Defense played decent. Our Offense stunk it up so bad second half, I’m honestly proud of them for only giving up 10 points in 2 quarters.

Sidenote: I’m Concerned for Gary. He went down similar to Oren Burks in an awkward fashion. One thing he does not do is give up on a play. He’s got a motor, just needs some tuning.

Last edited:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DUDS:
  • The field. Never play in Canada again! This cost both teams the opportunity to get reps in for their starters and for all we know, cost some injuries as well. Just shaking my head that this happens in the NFL.
  • Injuries to Bolton, EQB and possibly Gary. ILB was paper thin as it was. Now its on life support. If EQ's injury is significant, Lazard probably just made the team.
  • Kizer: Writing this before the game is over. But once again, the guy looks way too indecisive.
  • Pass Rush: Do we have one? Hope the starters can produce one.
  • Penalties
STUDS:
  • Trevor Davis: Silenced me, he made the Roster and Shepherd probably didn't.
  • Boyle: Actually looked good for most of the game.
  • JK Scott

Sheppard and Davis are making this team. Only way Lazard sticks is if they keep 7

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sheppard and Davis are making this team. Only way Lazard sticks is if they keep 7
You could be right, the Packers might be worried about Davis staying healthy and want to keep Shepherd as the backup return guy. I still think Lazard has more upside as a WR, but what do I know.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No Rodgers again. I doubt he'll play next week either. If that's the case, I don't really like that he'll be taking his first snaps trying out the new offense against the Bears defense in two weeks.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It doesn’t matter at this point who makes the roster.

Still can’t tackle. Still no pressure on the QB. After that the offense is far from lethal. Same story boys. LaFleur is starting to show he is in over his head.

Go save us Aaron. Same old story. Tired of it.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DUD-The NFL. The next time any of them speak, they should have a guy wearing sap gloves standing next to them, so that if they use the words "integrity of the game" they get smashed in the face.

STUDS- Shepard, Davis and Sullivan. The decisions at WR and DB didn't get any easier.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually not all that concerned if Rodgers doesn't play. It's not going to help or hurt at this point anyway. Playing a lot in preseason might help, but then what's the risk and why when you're evaluating the back half of the roster?

You have to play to get into "game shape", but so does everyone, regardless of preseason. That's September for every team. But the in's and out's of the game and making sure that's in order? That's all practice, IF you're practicing the right way. Games were just fun, but all the work and improvement came in practice. Didn't matter if it was football, wrestling, baseball, etc.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was going to go with winners losers.

Winners:
Davis - the fuy looks really good. He has extraordinary physical skills, why hasnt he done anything up to now? I would be leary of extending him. May be a "contract year deal".
Boyle. Sucked early, not sure what the problem, but git his **** together and looked the part.
Jk Scott. Wow! Pinning raiders on the 1 Yard line - perfect punt
Sullivan - 2 very nice pass breakups.
EQ - the only way he makes the team was on the IR
Dexter Williams, Ford, and carson all had some nice runs.
Elgton Jenkins - looks really good. Should start.
Lazard and Shepard made this team. Both should get some playing time this season.
Josh Jackson had some nice coverage. Played better than previous games.
Ty Summers. Showed more improvement and seemed to be one of our better tacklers last night.
Keke did well as well. Looks like an impressive sophmore draft effort by Gute.

Losers
Rashan Gary. Against a mediocre OL, he did very little that caught my eye. Injured twice. Hope he is okay.
Aaron Rodgers and 1st string offense: they can say they dont need preseason reps but i dont know. Its a new offense and it would be good to get some reps in.
Backup OLs. Did not do so well.
Lane Taylor - see Elgton above
Tackling, good grief. Isnt there a drill to teach this?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm actually not all that concerned if Rodgers doesn't play. It's not going to help or hurt at this point anyway. Playing a lot in preseason might help, but then what's the risk and why when you're evaluating the back half of the roster?

You have to play to get into "game shape", but so does everyone, regardless of preseason. That's September for every team. But the in's and out's of the game and making sure that's in order? That's all practice, IF you're practicing the right way. Games were just fun, but all the work and improvement came in practice. Didn't matter if it was football, wrestling, baseball, etc.

I used to not agree with this, but it seems the way of the NFL that the starters don't get a ton of snaps in the Preseason, in order to keep them from getting injured. As Rodgers himself said, what is valuable are practices and live drills. He didn't say it, but some said the scrimmage practice with the Texans was beneficial as well. Rodgers isn't a 2nd year player, he will be fine.

Had Rodgers played in one of the first 3 games, he might have seen 1-2 series, big whoop.

The new NFL goal is to get your most valuable players through preseason healthy and had Rodgers taken a blind side hit from some no name and was lost for the season, a lot of the people complaining now about him not playing in the preseason, might be here b*tching and moaning about him being exposed in meaningless preseason games.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
boyle has something. he should be #2 imo. davis, shepherd, and lazard played well.

Easy trap to fall into when you watch Preseason games. Boyle has stunk it up just as much as Kizer has in other games. I think you still have Kizer as your #2 and that is mainly due to real game experience VS. starters. Neither of them are talented enough to make me feel comfortable with our #2.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Easy trap to fall into when you watch Preseason games. Boyle has stunk it up just as much as Kizer has in other games. I think you still have Kizer as your #2 and that is mainly due to real game experience VS. starters. Neither of them are talented enough to make me feel comfortable with our #2.
i agree, however . . . Kizers issue appears to be confidence and poise. The game may be too big for him. Boyle needs deeper understanding and footwork. I think Boyle is nore likely to develop than Kizer.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boyle was nothing to be excited about last night despite what his numbers might say. Kizer looked worse after looking better the previous 2.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kizer doesn't possess what it takes to command a team and score points. Boyle needs a lot of work too, but seems to have the ability to move the team and put points on the board. I'd be happy with keeping Boyle and shopping the discard bin for a veteran QB backup after cut downs.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
i agree, however . . . Kizers issue appears to be confidence and poise. The game may be too big for him. Boyle needs deeper understanding and footwork. I think Boyle is nore likely to develop than Kizer.

I think I agree with that, but the competition is for the best #2 right now. A guy who might have to play the whole season after just one regular season offensive play. Boyle isn't ready for that yet, IMO.

This is the issue I have with the Packers not investing much into QB #2. Their success totally rides on QB #1. Now if they do keep Boyle on the roster or the PS and the season starts getting away from them again, I wouldn't be opposed to playing Boyle over Kizer or at minimum split duties. But if they just need a backup for a portion of a game or a few games, right now, Kizer is about their best option IMO.

I know people gave me sh*t last year about suggesting that the Packers play backups when we were out of the playoff hunt, but that experience might have helped quite a few guys that are still on this roster.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not sure how true this is, but it isn't far fetched.

Someone on Twitter posted EQB has a broken ankle. :cry:

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Kizer doesn't possess what it takes to command a team and score points. Boyle needs a lot of work too, but seems to have the ability to move the team and put points on the board. I'd be happy with keeping Boyle and shopping the discard bin for a veteran QB backup after cut downs.

If the Packers see more potential in Boyle than they do in Kizer, I could get on board with this. Cut Kizer, keep Boyle and work a vet QB in fast to become your #2. I would be on board with that, even if they kept Kizer and cut Boyle. :roflmao:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

wouldn't surprise me, his foot was planted and all sorts of things could have happened with that from the ankle to the knee

Might be better for him long term depending on what's exactly there.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Based on what I've seen from his this preseason, it's probably for the best. He's been out there with Lazard, Shepherd, Kumerow, Davis, and Moore but I don't think I've seen him record more than 2 catches total...and that's with his old college QB throwing to him as well. Him being on IR with a chance to rebound next year would be preferable to keeping him on the 53 right now. With Davis coming on we can dump Moore as well. Adams, MVS, GMO, Davis, Kumerow, Shepherd, and Lazard should work out fine for us moving forward.

I made the bold prediction that Boyle might beat out Kizer and I will proudly thump my chest when I'm right. His current stat line per Wes Hodkiewicz: 31 of 51 for 338 yds, 5 TDs for a passer rating of....wait for it....:

Doesn't look like it, and yes it's primarily against backups(although NOBODY on the Ravens should be discounted), gotta give credit where credit is due. I would fully support cutting Kizer to allow Boyle to continue to trend upward. I'd also support signing a veteran backup, such as Fitzpatrick, Henne, Beathard, and Mullens.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only 2 guys on your short list are Fitzpatrick and Beathard. Fitz will likely start in Miami, while Beathard will likely be the #2 in SF.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While I didn't want to see EQB injured like that, I agree, I think the injury might make the Packers decisions at WR much easier. If they are only keeping 6, it is down to Shepherd VS Lazard.

Hopefully, EQB will be back with the Pack to try again in 2020, I do think he has some potential.

Members online

Latest posts